Should Speith call Butchie?

Man_O_War

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is dumb. Maybe I'll start a "After his win today, is Justin Thomas the best player of all time?" thread.

917D3 9.5 Rogue Black
917F3 15 Diamana Blue
818H2 19 Tensei Blue
Mizuno MP14 2
Mizuno MP4 4-9
Vokey SM7 46, 50, 54, 58
Edel 60
(will swap 58 for 60 and a Vokey for the 2-iron as needed)
Custom Scotty Newport 2
or
Scotty X5R

JT is waaaaay better

JS is not great on big courses with long rough ..... he had to hit driver at QH .. no hiding his big weakness like at Birkdale

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Who the hell is Butchie?

some dude...harmonizes weak grips

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

I think wrx'ers who misspell Spieth should receive temporary bans from the site. Seriously, every time you guys say "Speith", it makes you look like an 8 year old writing with a crayon.

Remember: i before e except after c. Since his name isn't Spceith, it's spelled S-P-I-E-T-H. I will now write "Spieth", the correct spelling, 28 times in a row:

Spieth, Spieth, Spieth, Spieth, Spieth, Spieth, Spieth, Spieth, Spieth, Spieth, Spieth, Spieth, Spieth, Spieth, Spieth, Spieth, Spieth, Spieth, Spieth, Spieth, Spieth, Spieth, Spieth, Spieth, Spieth, Spieth, Spieth, Spieth.

If any time in the future you are unsure of the correct spelling, stick with Jordan. Or JS. Or google. Copy and paste Jordan's last name from PGAtour.com. Do anything besides writing Spieth wrong. Seriously, it's not hard. Unless you are illiterate or have dyslexia, you can spell Spieth.

...All that being said, I just read that Spieth needs a swing overhaul (the best iron player on the planet), so misspelling Spieth seems to fit along well with such poor judgment.

As you were...

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

Didn't Speith just win The OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP a few weeks ago?? These posts are comical.

Open championship is a different kind of golf... it's scrambling golf..slower easier greens to putt on and one gets away with murder...as murder gets you sometimes..not comical... heard what he said himself about winning the PGA? Where did he win his US Open? a links style course? ..Augusta..well you know that's fairways as wide as a runway on mars

So why didn't anyone else win instead of him?

Open championship is a different kind of golf... it's scrambling golf..slower easier greens to putt on and one gets away with murder...as murder gets you sometimes..not comical... heard what he said himself about winning the PGA? Where did he win his US Open? a links style course? ..Augusta..well you know that's fairways as wide as a runway on mars

So...it should have been even easier for those who you consider have 'more talent'. Why didn't they win?

Speath has a great iron swing but it doesn't work as well with a driver swing. JMOlazabal had the same combination

Butch or maybe someone else could probably help him straighten out the driver a little bit without ruining everything else. Lei Westwood has the same week grip and chicken wing action and he drives it fairly straight.

Speith? Butchie?

Spieth goes 1 major in a row without winning, and he needs a new swing coach. This place is amazing.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

spieth won't go to butch. he hates winn grips.

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Has there ever been a time where someone had any amount of success, done a complete overhaul and it worked out? I can't think of any. Paddy Harrington or Kaymer always comes to mind when I think of guys who tried to change everything after having success and have it totally fail. Paddy always tweaking his swing. Kaymer deciding after 2 majors that he needed to hit the ball the other direction (draw vs cut or vice versa, can't remember). Sat I was watching Paddy on the range at QH. He had already missed the cut, but had to finish RD 2 sat morning so he went to the range to grind it out. His swing looked like all kinds of a mess. He was working on what appeared to be long irons. He was working on some swing where he steps forward and his right leg finishes in front of his left. Looked very odd.

Bottom line, Jordan is fine and the absolute last thing he needs to do is change anything.

XR 16 9.5 Fubuki ZT
XR 16 15* PX 6.0
XHot Pro 3 hy PX 6.0
Callaway 09 X Forged 3i, 5-pw - PX 6.0
Callaway MD3 52*, 56*, 60* KBS Tour
Odyssey Vera B/W/B #7,
Ball -TM TP5X

Why does Butch get so much praise? What mediocre guy did he take and bring to the top?

I agree a hundred percent. He had a lot of players that dropped theirs heads towards their feet on the down swing and never fixed it! Overrated!

Driver Taylor SIM 2
3wd ping 425

5wd ping 425
Irons I500 Ping 4 - pw
ping answer 2 sig
58 ping eye-2
54 Jaws 4

2I driving iron Srixon New shaft carbon fiber steel
Titlist 1x

Has there ever been a time where someone had any amount of success, done a complete overhaul and it worked out? I can't think of any. Paddy Harrington or Kaymer always comes to mind when I think of guys who tried to change everything after having success and have it totally fail. Paddy always tweaking his swing. Kaymer deciding after 2 majors that he needed to hit the ball the other direction (draw vs cut or vice versa, can't remember). Sat I was watching Paddy on the range at QH. He had already missed the cut, but had to finish RD 2 sat morning so he went to the range to grind it out. His swing looked like all kinds of a mess. He was working on what appeared to be long irons. He was working on some swing where he steps forward and his right leg finishes in front of his left. Looked very odd.

Bottom line, Jordan is fine and the absolute last thing he needs to do is change anything.

Nick Faldo

Ben Hogan

Tiger Woods

Jack Nicklaus (short game with Phil Rogers)

Nick Price

nicklaus made a fairly decent overhaul of his swing after 1979 ... deepened it quite a bit since it had become too upright and started to play a bit of a draw ... he did work on his short game with pr, but that's not what won him the two majors in 1980 ...

Why does Butch get so much praise? What mediocre guy did he take and bring to the top?

Even better, he takes good tour players and takes them to the top. There are countless examples. Among the classic examples, people forget how he helped Freddie Couples and DLIII's games out of the trash heap and extended their careers. He did the same with Ernie Els shortly before he won The Open a few years ago. What's awesome is that he uses seemingly obvious ways to help improve. Both Fred and Els were aiming way right at address, for example.

Anyone who claims Butch doesn't deserve praise obviously hasn't seen him work or talked to his multitude of students. Plus, the guy was the personal instructor to a dictator.

nicklaus made a fairly decent overhaul of his swing after 1979 ... deepened it quite a bit since it had become too upright and started to play a bit of a draw ... he did work on his short game with pr, but that's not what won him the two majors in 1980 ...

The change was to add width and come into the ball shallower, but other than that, I agree with your point. I don't think Spieth needs an overhaul, but it's true that the best often need to make changes. For Jack, it was getting back to how he used to hit the ball.

Speith just won the Open Championship, and now finishes 9th in the major.. so....... in the last majors in the span of the last month... he has a win and a top ten???? and he needs help? Delusional thread.

That was Jordan Smith who finished 9th.Jordan Spieth finished T28.But I guess that if you are going to spell his name wrong, you might get him mistaken for Jordan Smith.By the way, I don't believe that Jordan Spieth has the talent to hit his driver any straighter than he does now. It would be best for him to keep on playing with what he has.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Even better, he takes good tour players and takes them to the top. There are countless examples. Among the classic examples, people forget how he helped Freddie Couples and DLIII's games out of the trash heap and extended their careers. He did the same with Ernie Els shortly before he won The Open a few years ago. What's awesome is that he uses seemingly obvious ways to help improve. Both Fred and Els were aiming way right at address, for example.

Anyone who claims Butch doesn't deserve praise obviously hasn't seen him work or talked to his multitude of students. Plus, the guy was the personal instructor to a dictator.

Agree but to me a guy like Pete Cowen takes guys that are not major winners and helps them get there and yet he gets no praise... Butch is a great guy and a great instructor

I think things are just fine with Jordan, what is there to "fix"? Ok so he doesn't have a textbook swing, but so what? His game is great, he's not short by any means and he's winning. Just because he couldn't close the slam this year, doesn't mean he won't.. And it doesn't mean he won't keep winning,.

Agree but to me a guy like Pete Cowen takes guys that are not major winners and helps them get there and yet he gets no praise... Butch is a great guy and a great instructor

Speith just won the Open Championship, and now finishes 9th in the major.. so....... in the last majors in the span of the last month... he has a win and a top ten???? and he needs help? Delusional thread.

That was Jordan Smith who finished 9th.Jordan Spieth finished T28.But I guess that if you are going to spell his name wrong, you might get him mistaken for Jordan Smith.By the way, I don't believe that Jordan Spieth has the talent to hit his driver any straighter than he does now. It would be best for him to keep on playing with what he has.

he does..so long as it doesn't affect his scrambling and putting which is world class.

Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)

Good Lord.....

Amen

Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)

It's actually not a bad idea. Spieth's current motion is flawed and Butch could help him.

The first issue he needs to address, though, is his grip. It's one of the worst I've seen in a player of his caliber and his success is coming in spite of it. He interlocks, but it's technically what I refer to as an "interbunch," in that he bunches his fingers together in a very inorganic manner. This is because he really shouldn't be interlocking at all. My philosophy is that anyone 6'0 ft or taller should overlap because their hand size will generally be larger and interlocking with larger hands forces the fingers into unnatural positions on the club (i.e. Jordan's bunch maneuver). If Spieth came to me for a consultation, I would start with a complete switch to the Vardon and then, yes, as the OP mentioned, begin moving him toward Harmon principles.

This isn't as crazy as it sounds. Spieth is young enough to sacrifice a few years for an overhaul to get him to the next level.

It's actually not a bad idea. Spieth's current motion is flawed and Butch could help him.

The first issue he needs to address, though, is his grip. It's one of the worst I've seen in a player of his caliber and his success is coming in spite of it. He interlocks, but it's technically what I refer to as an "interbunch," in that he bunches his fingers together in a very inorganic manner. This is because he really shouldn't be interlocking at all. My philosophy is that anyone 6'0 ft or taller should overlap because their hand size will generally be larger and interlocking with larger hands forces the fingers into unnatural positions on the club (i.e. Jordan's bunch maneuver). If Spieth came to me for a consultation, I would start with a complete switch to the Vardon and then, yes, as the OP mentioned, begin moving him toward Harmon principles.

This isn't as crazy as it sounds. Spieth is young enough to sacrifice a few years for an overhaul to get him to the next level.

"Get him to the next level"?

This thread is the gift that keeps on giving.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag