Music on the course?

Honest question to the more advanced rules guys that say the USGA rule is clear on it not being allowed. Do you know when they changed it to this as it seemed to be allowed on the PGA Tour just fine years ago.

http://oconnorgolf.c...s-could-be-hell

That looks like it's talking about stuff from 25-30 years ago. I couldn't find anything about five years ago but maybe I'm missing it.

"just fine years ago" not "just five". It was 36 years ago.

Correct. Just wondering when 14-3/16 came into the rule book as none of my google searches can tell me so was hoping some of you better rules gurus would know.

I don't think the rule has changed, just the decision. I can't find anything that dates decision 14-3/17.

Don't have the answer either but happen to have a 1989 Decisons Book in the library. Ended with 14-3/15 at that time.

Found it- January 2012

http://golfcontentnetwork.com/news/how-the-usga-stole-music-a-seasonal-spin-on-a-new-rules-decision/

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

• 8 months later...

I see this is an old topic but I still want to chime in. I don't listen to music while playing golf. Why would I want to? I'm on a golf course for peace and quiet, for a break from the din of everyday life, and to battle against the course and my own mind. The sound of birds and the occasional distant _tink_ of a 3-wood making contact is all the music I could want. Don't get me wrong, I love music. I have hundreds of vinyl LP's and thousands of songs on my Spotify. But a golf course isn't the place for it. And anyone who thinks other people can't hear the music playing on their speaker is in denial. If you're going to golf, golf. If you want music, either use airpods or go blast it in your car, with the windows up. Thanks.

• Like 1

> @CobraKat said:

> I see this is an old topic but I still want to chime in. I don't listen to music while playing golf. Why would I want to? I'm on a golf course for peace and quiet, for a break from the din of everyday life, and to battle against the course and my own mind. The sound of birds and the occasional distant _tink_ of a 3-wood making contact is all the music I could want. Don't get me wrong, I love music. I have hundreds of vinyl LP's and thousands of songs on my Spotify. But a golf course isn't the place for it. And anyone who thinks other people can't hear the music playing on their speaker is in denial. If you're going to golf, golf. If you want music, either use airpods or go blast it in your car, with the windows up. Thanks.

>

>

Yep. Well said. Additionally most of the music I've heard from people on the course (or on hiking trails - where it is forbidden!) is lousy. Maybe if they played one of my playlists...

> @"Carl Spackler3" said:

> Worst concession on a golf course in 50 yrs

Agree - I'd have banned it outright, including on headphones from a safety perspective.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

> @HatsForBats said:

> 40'ish rounds of golf in this year and almost all of them with music playing. Very enjoyable. Now if they could just stop other golfers from talking/yelling/laughing on adjacent holes and get rid of those pesky golf carts there would be less interruptions to my music and golf enjoyment.

At least we know what they're yelling at . :wink:

> @Shilgy said:

> > @HatsForBats said:

> > 40'ish rounds of golf in this year and almost all of them with music playing. Very enjoyable. Now if they could just stop other golfers from talking/yelling/laughing on adjacent holes and get rid of those pesky golf carts there would be less interruptions to my music and golf enjoyment.

>

> At least we know what they're yelling at . :wink:

Wrong again - https://www.webopedia.com/TERM/B/bone-conduction-headphones.html

• 3 weeks later...

I am a recent convert in that I don't mind it if someone's playing music. Used to bother me, but more so when it was someone else not in our group. But a few weeks back, one of the guys I play with showed up with a speaker playing music and we were both going to be walking in the same group. He had decided music was the secret to golf because he got his first hole in one playing with another guy who was listening to music during the round. My buddy is normally one of those guys who'll complain if a bird farts 3 holes away, so I was pretty surprised at his conversion. But he was a guest of that guy and didn't want to say anything. Unfortunately for him, the tune played during his ace was Huey Lewis and the News, so we still rib him about that fact.

But anyway, when he showed up with his new speaker and didn't even bother to ask me if it was OK, I was a little irked. But I decided to give it a chance and if it did bother me I'd let him know. Turns out I don't mind it at all. Probably helps that he has similar tastes in music, mostly classic rock. I doubt I'll be getting my own speaker, but it's changed my mind about having it around.

Maybe a little classical waltz music to smooth out my tempo. Just kidding, no music is my preference.

TaylorMade Stealth HD Driver 10.5* 
Taylor Made Stealth 2 3HL Wood 16.5*
Callaway Epic Speed 7 Wood 21*
Callaway Epic Super 5 Hybrid 24*
Callaway Apex 21 Irons P-6 
Cleveland RTX ZipCore 48/10, 54/10 and 60/6 Wedges 
Slighter Seattle Custom Putter

> @jdl said:

> I am a recent convert in that I don't mind it if someone's playing music. Used to bother me, but more so when it was someone else not in our group. But a few weeks back, one of the guys I play with showed up with a speaker playing music and we were both going to be walking in the same group. He had decided music was the secret to golf because he got his first hole in one playing with another guy who was listening to music during the round. My buddy is normally one of those guys who'll complain if a bird farts 3 holes away, so I was pretty surprised at his conversion. But he was a guest of that guy and didn't want to say anything. Unfortunately for him, the tune played during his ace was Huey Lewis and the News, so we still rib him about that fact.

> But anyway, when he showed up with his new speaker and didn't even bother to ask me if it was OK, I was a little irked. But I decided to give it a chance and if it did bother me I'd let him know. Turns out I don't mind it at all. Probably helps that he has similar tastes in music, mostly classic rock. I doubt I'll be getting my own speaker, but it's changed my mind about having it around.

That's great news. I'll set up a round for you and I and I will bring the tunes. Conway Twitty and Merle Haggard sound ok to you?

> @DivinDave said:

> I dont consider people who play music on the course to be golfers.

Preach brother.

It’s on my list of things to stamp out if I hit the lottery. Cancer , homeless children and music on the golf course. I’m more serious than you can imagine. Latest thing I heard was a guy playing freebird on a loop. Including the entire guitar solo . Now I happen to live in the last place that the boys played , know people who were at that concert. Own a brick from the auditorium when it was torn down etc. hell I live 4 minutes from the house Artimus Pyle ate dinner in the night before the crash. Couldn’t be a bigger fan , but freebird does not belong on course once. Much less on a loop. No different than smoking inside at a function . If it interferes with the activity that is the predominant and pre determined activity then it’s out of place. Music that isn’t inside of earbuds does this. And music inside earbuds puts that person at risk of being hit etc if that person wants to sign a waiver of all liability for the club and it’s patrons , then have at the ear buds.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @chippa13 said:

> The Mrs. and I enjoyed a great Sunday this weekend. A perfect day of golf, couple of beers, music and golf.

Unfortunately not everyone playing music on the course is as considerate as you and your wife. If they were this would not be an issue at all. If others can hear it it's too loud. Unfortunately many do not adhere to that simple strategy and thus draw the wrath of others.

I will say that at my club the music players have been now considerate than a couple years ago. It's not perfect but I have noticed it less. Perhaps I've been fortunate and not in their immediate vicinity or they have turned it down.

> @Shilgy said:

> > @chippa13 said:

> > The Mrs. and I enjoyed a great Sunday this weekend. A perfect day of golf, couple of beers, music and golf.

>

> Unfortunately not everyone playing music on the course is as considerate as you and your wife. If they were this would not be an issue at all. If others can hear it it's too loud. Unfortunately many do not adhere to that simple strategy and thus draw the wrath of others.

> I will say that at my club the music players have been now considerate than a couple years ago. It's not perfect but I have noticed it less. Perhaps I've been fortunate and not in their immediate vicinity or they have turned it down.

Yes. If we couldn’t hear it , how would we know it was being played ?

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @Bluefan75 said:

> > @jdl said:

> > I am a recent convert in that I don't mind it if someone's playing music. Used to bother me, but more so when it was someone else not in our group. But a few weeks back, one of the guys I play with showed up with a speaker playing music and we were both going to be walking in the same group. He had decided music was the secret to golf because he got his first hole in one playing with another guy who was listening to music during the round. My buddy is normally one of those guys who'll complain if a bird farts 3 holes away, so I was pretty surprised at his conversion. But he was a guest of that guy and didn't want to say anything. Unfortunately for him, the tune played during his ace was Huey Lewis and the News, so we still rib him about that fact.

> > But anyway, when he showed up with his new speaker and didn't even bother to ask me if it was OK, I was a little irked. But I decided to give it a chance and if it did bother me I'd let him know. Turns out I don't mind it at all. Probably helps that he has similar tastes in music, mostly classic rock. I doubt I'll be getting my own speaker, but it's changed my mind about having it around.

>

> That's great news. I'll set up a round for you and I and I will bring the tunes. Conway Twitty and Merle Haggard sound ok to you?

Not a huge country fan, but those 2 are OK.

> @jdl said:

> > @Bluefan75 said:

> > > @jdl said:

> > > I am a recent convert in that I don't mind it if someone's playing music. Used to bother me, but more so when it was someone else not in our group. But a few weeks back, one of the guys I play with showed up with a speaker playing music and we were both going to be walking in the same group. He had decided music was the secret to golf because he got his first hole in one playing with another guy who was listening to music during the round. My buddy is normally one of those guys who'll complain if a bird farts 3 holes away, so I was pretty surprised at his conversion. But he was a guest of that guy and didn't want to say anything. Unfortunately for him, the tune played during his ace was Huey Lewis and the News, so we still rib him about that fact.

> > > But anyway, when he showed up with his new speaker and didn't even bother to ask me if it was OK, I was a little irked. But I decided to give it a chance and if it did bother me I'd let him know. Turns out I don't mind it at all. Probably helps that he has similar tastes in music, mostly classic rock. I doubt I'll be getting my own speaker, but it's changed my mind about having it around.

> >

> > That's great news. I'll set up a round for you and I and I will bring the tunes. Conway Twitty and Merle Haggard sound ok to you?

>

> Not a huge country fan, but those 2 are OK.

So you're the one. I have a hard time believing more than 1 out of 100 who want to listen to music on the course would even know who they are much like them. I'm not actually a fan either, but basically I'm saying let's play something they won't like. Because it's amazing how quick they are to back off their music insistence when it's not what they want to hear(but somehow I am supposed to be all in on what they want to listen to....)

I have a Bose mini speaker in the golf cart or it's clamped to my push cart and turned down low. It's "important" that I can't hear the music when I address the ball, and neither should anyone else hear it. Music is typically classic rock.

Here in SOCA, I am amazed at how many people I have encountered that have music playing in their cart.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

The "problem" with music is that it is so personal. One man's trash........

I play often with one person who has very similar taste as I do, we usually enjoy some tunes when we play, I have another friend that has a totally different taste and he is "that guy" who insists his music is awesome and everyone else in the world has horrible taste.

It's really about respecting other peoples space, and asking. If someone is opposed then turn it off.

It's almost like smoking, some people don't mind or will partake, others are offended. Just be respectful.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I rarely play music mostly because I'm a walker and every ounce counts on some of the hilly courses.

That said, I generally like it when I encounter other golfers playing music. Whatever music that might be (rock, hip hop, country, whatever), I'm good with it for at least a short encounter. Now, if you were my cart partner and insisted on playing opera, we may have a discussion.

I'm all for the tunes, frankly.

> @dubbelbogey said:

> I rarely play music mostly because I'm a walker and every ounce counts on some of the hilly courses.

>

> That said, I generally like it when I encounter other golfers playing music. Whatever music that might be (rock, hip hop, country, whatever), I'm good with it for at least a short encounter. Now, if you were my cart partner and insisted on playing opera, we may have a discussion.

>

> I'm all for the tunes, frankly.

That's what I need. Thanks for the suggestion. It's Pavarotti and Bocelli next time!

> @dlygrisse said:

> The "problem" with music is that it is so personal. One man's trash........

> I play often with one person who has very similar taste as I do, we usually enjoy some tunes when we play, I have another friend that has a totally different taste and he is "that guy" who insists his music is awesome and everyone else in the world has horrible taste.

> It's really about respecting other peoples space, and asking. If someone is opposed then turn it off.

>

> It's almost like smoking, some people don't mind or will partake, others are offended. Just be respectful.

I agree but when it comes to my cigars, I am enjoying them. :) If someone doesn't like them, I won't take it personally if they stay away from me, pay for their own cart or find another tee group. We share outside, inside is another topic.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

> @Pepperturbo said:

> > @dlygrisse said:

> > The "problem" with music is that it is so personal. One man's trash........

> > I play often with one person who has very similar taste as I do, we usually enjoy some tunes when we play, I have another friend that has a totally different taste and he is "that guy" who insists his music is awesome and everyone else in the world has horrible taste.

> > It's really about respecting other peoples space, and asking. If someone is opposed then turn it off.

> >

> > It's almost like smoking, some people don't mind or will partake, others are offended. Just be respectful.

>

> I agree but when it comes to my cigars, I am enjoying them. :) If someone doesn't like them, I won't take it personally if they stay away from me, pay for their own cart or find another tee group. We share outside, inside is another topic.

Ever heard the concept 'conciderate smokers'..?