Great Golf Quotes

BillyZ2

[quote name='Gbyeball' timestamp='1391779514' post='8615125']
^^^^^Forged4ever1^^^^^

Good thing you did not post this in the instruction forum, you would be tarred and feathered :taunt:

I happen to agree 100% with that quote.
[/quote]LMAO, and I don't believe that any of those arriving with the tar and feathers would be any teachers, Class A's or anyone that actually & legitimately play at scratch or better, or more importantly, is qualified to teach and offer swing advice :)

That's why I stay out of that section.

#1, though I can hit a golf ball, I am not remotely qualified to give swing advice or instruction, and one's golf swing is a very personal action, with many small nuances, that if disturbed or changed and not accounted for, can throw an individual out of sync and cause much wasted time trying to just get back to where they started from prior to taking the dime store advice.

#2, like any profession, in which most of the subjects are average, on their best days, and to find a QUALTY teacher is an arduous task at best, what are the odds that a bunch of well intentioned, misguided Ams are gonna break down, analyze and rebuild some poor b*stard's swing without destroyin it and him, LMAO

Hell, I'd read and follow the tips and "pearls" in GD first, LMAO

Have a great week-end Bro :)

Fairways & Greens My Friend,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Mcgeeno' timestamp='1391671659' post='8608161'][color=#696969]To find a mans true character, play golf with him.[/color]
[color=#696969]-PH Woodhouse.[/color]
[/quote]

The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself. - P. G. Wodehouse

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

"The longest yard is a 3 foot put."

Saw this on a license plate frame the other day at the course. Makes me chuckle every time i have a 3 foot put.

Titleist TSI3 9.5 / Ventus TR Blue 60x
Titleist TS2 15* / Aldila Phenom 70x
Titleist TS2 18* / Aldila Phenom 70x
Titleist 913H 21* / Hazrdous Smoke 6.5

Titleist T200 / T150 5-G / Modus 105S
Titleist Vokey SM8 56 / 60
Scotty X5

"If you can't hold your head still, find a different sport." - Jack Nicklaus

Spoiler

Paradym Ai Smoke MAX 10.5  Velocore Red 6S 45" D3

Rogue ST MAX 5W,7W Velocore  Red 7S 

Srixon MKII ZX4-4, ZX5-5&6, ZX7 7-PW

MODUS 120 S +3/4, D3-D5

SM8 Raw 52 F-12, 56 V,  & 60 V

Scotty Circle T Red Dot 350g Newport 2 (A006794), Pro V1x, Miura Alt bag: 4-PW CB57’s & K Grinds 52,56,60,64 or Fun Bag MP-33 5-PW 

Keegan Bradley won the first Major he ever played in, the 2011 PGA Championship (only other Pro who's ever done that, is Ben Curtis).

When Keegan was doing his first Presser at the 2012 Masters, he was asked what he thought about the Masters and his chances. He responded:

"How hard can it be? I've won ever Major I've ever played in."

"Good players have the power to think while they are competing. Most golfers are not thinking, even when they believe that they are. They are only worrying, or thinking about swing mechanics. That is not thinking. That is an invitation to mediocrity. Rather, they should visualize the shot at hand, then go ahead and swing as they envisioned, as though they are going to hit the best shot of their life. Heck, they really might do it."

-Harvey Penick

Fairways & Greens My Friends
:miz:

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...

"Good players have the power to think while they are competing. Most golfers are not thinking, even when they believe that they are. They are only worrying, or thinking about swing mechanics. That is not thinking. That is an invitation to mediocrity. Rather, they should visualize the shot at hand, then go ahead and swing as they envisioned, as though they are going to hit the best shot of their life. Heck, they really might do it."

-Harvey Penick

Fairways & Greens My Friends

:miz:

great quote but I favor Jack Benny' outlook

"Give me golf clubs, a great day and a beautiful partner and you can keep the clubs and the great day"

Honma Beres 10.5*
Jones/Ortiz 4 wood 17*
Adams Idea Black CB2 irons 26, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45*
Callaway MD3 S grind 52, 56, C grind 60, PM grind 64*
Tom Slighter Custom Needle 450g, 3* loft, 74* lie (2006)
Tom Slighter Needle 360g, 4* loft, 72* lie (2012, backup)

One day my friend and I were having particularly bad rounds going on and he simply said...

“A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work...”

Yep, so true and this quote has been around a long time cuz I remember bein in my mid/late 20’s and I was hittin the ball like trash, complaining and generally Playin the Diva when my Father’s professional partner, who was Playing with me, chirped this quote, lol.

He had a valid point so I just STFU and kept my misery to myself, lol

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friend

RP

The mediocre Teacher tells

The good Teacher explains

The superior Teacher demonstrates

The great Teacher inspires....

My Teacher was Iconic~

Cheers?

RP

**Actually, the first four lines were from William Arthur Ward and the bottom line was from me?

Short-game advice, circa 1970, from an elderly assistant pro whose name escapes me:

"If you're not a damn pro, stay out of the 40- to 80-yard zone."

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

During the 1986 Masters telecast

Tom Weiskopf:

"If I knew what was going through Jack Nicklaus' head, I would have won this golf tournament."

I don’t think that there’s anyone who Played with and against Jack that faced a heavier burden than Tom Weiskopf. Tom told me of an introduction that an OSU booster gave prior to his speaking to a Kiwanis Club luncheon after he had committed to the Buckeys ,when he described Tom as “the next Jack Nicklaus.” The kid was 17yo for chrissakes, lol. He wasn’t even an adult and a tremendous weight had been put on his head.

I’ve stated before and it’s just my opinion as Tom never came out and said this though I believe that his 1975 Masters Runner-Up finish impacted him the most and is one that he never fully put behind him.

For the younger guys on the board, please remember one thing-

Tom Weiskopf, from a physical game standpoint, was Greg Norman before Greg Norman~

Long High Booming 300yd+ Drives?

Check

Long High Booming 245yd+ 2i’s that looked and landed like a 7i?

Check

A swing for the ages that he carried through his career and has to this day?

Check

Yep, Tom Weispkopf had it all, and he actually didn’t have a bad career either. In fact, he had an excellent career!!

As of 1988, before the purses went through the roof and after Tom’s exit from the Tour, he stood 4th on the All-Time PGA Tour Money List? , behind only Jack, Tom and Lee, with 16 Tour Victories, 4 more on the Champions Tour and a Major on both the PGA Tour and Champions Tour.

Along with his British Open Title(this was the tourney name when he won it and he feels strongly enough about it that when a guy mentioned his “Open Championship” victory he corrected him with “I won the British Open Championship”, lol), he won the 1995 US Senior Open Championship. Hey, I understand where he’s coming from and though he said it pleasantly a few guys thought that he was being a dick for correcting the guy.

This is how erroneous inaccurate bullshat gets started about another man or woman when passive lil insecure PC boys(they’re usually males and only a man by chronological age, lol) get offended by the truth or actual facts and they leave the encounter chirping about what an arsehole the speaker is, never realizing that to other men, they are the arsehole, haha, and I let it be known to those present that I agreed with Tom, I would have Nicely(as Tom did) corrected the individual as Tom did and I thought that he was a good guy and someone I’d want in my group any day, which could not be said for the two guys that I was responding to.

Along with his one Major, Tom had four runner-ups at Augusta along with a T2 in the US Open and a 3rd in the PGA Championship. His career year was 1973, when he won 7 times around the World, including the British Open. He made three Ryder cup teams(1973, 1975 & 1977) though Tom ruffled some feathers when he went big game hunting over Playing in the matches in 1977.

Even before I met him, what I always liked about Tom was that he never gave a shat what others thought anout him and he marched to his own drum. I’ve spoken before about walking up 18 fairway along with my BFF as we were marshals and made ourselves the group’s “body guards” as we lead them from tee to green and in Tom Watson’s case, into some of Oakmont’s longer rough behind the ropes, lmao. The group was Tom, Tom Watson and Jerry Pate as the final threesome in the 1978 PGA Championship and as we marched up 18 fairway, the crowd circled behind us, trampling the ropes and running by us to get a spot up by the green.

Except for a few “atta boy” pats on the back as they ran by, no one bothered any of the Players though I’ve also spoken of Tom Watson having a look of extrmeme uneasiness and he grabbed onto my BFF’s, himself 6’1”, 265 and a DE at Penn State, so hard from behind that he snapped two of his belt loops.

Pate seemed fine walking in the middle of the fairway and Tom Weiskopf and I were walking up the left side first cut, where his ball lay, 290 yards out. He didn’t flinch, look around or even seem to notice the bedlam around him, just striding up the fairway, shoulders back & chest out, head up and all 6’4” of him in total command of the situation and striding up the fairway. Peeps speak of DLove “gliding” up the fairways however I’ll never forget Tom Weiskopf’s stride/strut that day and on that particular hole because though he was in the lead pack going into the final round and though he had a final round even round of 71, he fell four shots short of the three man play-off(Tom Watson, Jerry Pate & John Mahaffey, who won the one hole sudden death play-off).

I expected an angry, sullen, shoulders slumped defeated athlete and he was nothing of the sort. He was a Champion and carried himself as such! I gained a ton of respect for Tom Weiskopf that day and when I told him this a decade later, he laughed as he remembered the round though he didn’t remember me or my Bud, lol.

Sorry for the novel Bro, LMAO.

Your quote just brought back some memories?

I hope that you and Your family had a great Christmas & New Years and that you have a Happier Healthier and very Prosperous 2018?

My Best,

Richard