2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Pure745's 2015 Shootout - 915 D4 Trackman #'s Added

Pure745

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='J13' timestamp='1419549719' post='10641741']
[quote name='cota0429' timestamp='1419539711' post='10641339']Anyone know if anyone on tour is using the Flex?[/quote]

Haven't seen one in anyone's bag from photos. Pro seems to be popular
[/quote]

I really don't think you'll see this club in any of the tour guys bags, I think most of them lean towards the Pro model. If I had to take a guess, I would say the Flex's chassis (minus the moveable gravity core) is used in TW's "Speed Glued Prototype" Driver, I would bet that the head shape is almost identical to the VR Tour & uses the same technology (Compression Channel) plus adds the cavity back technology. He might've hit the Flex head in testing to get the loft/gravity core/face angle to the specs he likes but he's definitely a "traditionalist" so I'm sure that's why he doesn't want the removeable gravity core or adjustable loft/face angle on his Driver. If he wants it altered, they just build him a new one.

I feel like this club is for someone who loves to have options & to be able to tinker with different lofts/face angles/gravity core to adjust spin rates; I personally can't wait to try it out & more than likely, it will be in the bag.

Interesting that shiels says he doesn't like the feel of the flex, then says it has similar feel to his SLDR that he was gaming for a while. Doesn't really add up...plus I loved the muted feel of the SLDR, so that would actually be a positive for me.

Callaway Epic Speed TD LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x
Callaway Epic Flash 15* and 21* ACCRA CS1 70 M5
Adams Super 9031 23* Nunchuk Xi
Newl Level 902 Forged 5-P Nippon Modus 125X
Cleveland RTX4 50 and New Level M-Type 54, 58 Nippon Modus 125
Byron Morgan 612
Shapland stand bag or PING Moonlite
Snell MTB X

[quote name='SwooshLT' timestamp='1419554184' post='10641921']
[quote name='csiachos' timestamp='1419538547' post='10641279']
Tai, is the shape of the pro similar to the flex, just a little larger? Or is it closer to the Vr Tour and shallower from front to back?
[/quote]
I've heard/read shallower from top to bottom but same footprint as Pro.
[/quote]

Spot on SwooshLT. I will take some pictures later tonight comparing face heights and depth from the side with some of the drivers I have.

[quote name='SigmaKyle31987' timestamp='1419562821' post='10642315']
[quote name='J13' timestamp='1419549719' post='10641741']
[quote name='cota0429' timestamp='1419539711' post='10641339']Anyone know if anyone on tour is using the Flex?[/quote]

Haven't seen one in anyone's bag from photos. Pro seems to be popular
[/quote]

I really don't think you'll see this club in any of the tour guys bags, I think most of them lean towards the Pro model. If I had to take a guess, I would say the Flex's chassis (minus the moveable gravity core) is used in TW's "Speed Glued Prototype" Driver, I would bet that the head shape is almost identical to the VR Tour & uses the same technology (Compression Channel) plus adds the cavity back technology. He might've hit the Flex head in testing to get the loft/gravity core/face angle to the specs he likes but he's definitely a "traditionalist" so I'm sure that's why he doesn't want the removeable gravity core or adjustable loft/face angle on his Driver. If he wants it altered, they just build him a new one.

I feel like this club is for someone who loves to have options & to be able to tinker with different lofts/face angles/gravity core to adjust spin rates; I personally can't wait to try it out & more than likely, it will be in the bag.
[/quote]

I feel the same way and have posted something similar to this in the past. I will be interested to see which Nike Athletes actually end up using the Flex, they have access to the tour van and prototype heads that will give them access to drivers without needed the adjustability the Flex offers to the average consumer. At the Oven, both during our breakout sessions and after hitting the 3 different heads, the Flex was the driver I was most interested in. We all assumed this was the "Tiger driver", but they admitted that they designed it "based on his chasis" which was the Proto Covert 2.0 glued 440-ish CC head, but also had no idea whether or not he was going to be using the Flex or not (Tiger was not swinging and was taking time off at this time).

From the looks of this Proto "Speed" version, it looks a lot like the Flex shape but without the integration of the Flex Flight RZN piece. Needless to say, I can't wait to get this thing on the course!!

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

[quote name='ahbot' timestamp='1419612683' post='10643545']
Pure,

Any chance you have a side by side comparisons pics between the Flex and SLDR 430?

In terms of the footprint, is the Flex more comparable to the SLDR 430 or 460?
[/quote]

I'll definitely have comparison pictures of my SLDR 460, DBD, and Bio Cell Pro tonight and should have the R15 460 and 430 by Monday.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1419532227' post='10641037']Tyro - I will never be able to get back the 11:58 I just wasted watching that "review". Thanks buddy! :vava::censored2::tongue:
[/quote]

:sorry:

Rick is typically pretty much spot on with his reviews, but this one is odd.

Personally, I can't wait to hit a Flex. I LOVE persimmon-esque, solid feeling clubs! Personally, I don't think I have the SS for it (~100-105), but I'll try it out anyway!

Now...back to the Tai Shootout thread. :good:

A few quick pictures of the Flex and BBA DBD, going to try to play today hoping to have some thoughts up later tonight. It's really windy here today.. hopefully it calms down so I can get an accurate idea of what the driver does on the course.

Shootout15-09.jpg

Shootout15-10.jpg

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

A few quick pictures of the Flex and BBA DBD, going to try to play today hoping to have some thoughts up later tonight. It's really windy here today.. hopefully it calms down so I can get an accurate idea of what the driver does on the course.

Shootout15-09.jpg

Shootout15-10.jpg

Those are two beautiful drivers from address. Can't wait for the shoot out, thanks so much for doing it.

Titleist TSR3 Tensei 1k white
Callaway GBB Denali black 

Callaway UW Denali blue 

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Tour AD DI
Mizuno Pro 245 5-GW PX IO
Titleist SM9 52f, 58m PX LZ

Scotty MOTO Fastback 1.5 

Shootout15-09.jpg

Shootout15-10.jpg

Pure,

Thanks for posting these up. Based on these comparison photos, I'm almost certain that I'll be getting a Flex driver. I love the shape of the club.

Always Changing!!!

Shootout15-09.jpg

Shootout15-10.jpg

Pure,

Thanks for posting these up. Based on these comparison photos, I'm almost certain that I'll be getting a Flex driver. I love the shape of the club.

Doesn't it just exude perfection?

I've always like shallower faced drivers so I'm pretty excited to hear that the Flex has a shallower face while still being low spin. Can't wait to hear how it compares to the Pro and others

Titleist TR2 - Graphite design DI

Titleist Tsi2 - 15*

Callaway Apex 20*

Srixon ZX 7 4-PW

Cleveland Zipcore 54* & 58*

Odyssey #7 CH

Tai, I'll forecast ahead and say the R15 will be in last place of the shootout. I spent an hour with it at the simulator the other day and it just felt like a dud. I thought for the most part the shaft sucked but even face impact felt like I was hitting the ball with a 2x4.

Driver - [color=#0000ff]Nike Vapor Fly Pro - Fujikura Pro Series 65 - Stiff[/color]
3W - [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#00ff00]Cobra Bio Cell Blue - Matrix Ozik white tie[/color][/font]
5W - [color=#0000ff]Nike Vapor Fly - Tensei CK Blue 65F - Stiff[/color]
Hybrid - [color=#ff0000]Nike Covert Tour 2.0 - Kuro Kage Stiff[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Irons - Cobra S3 Pro 3-PW[/color]
[color=#ff0000]Nike Engage - 52* Square, 60* Dual Sole[/color] [color=#0000cd]Project X PXi 6.5[/color]
Putter - [color=#808080]Nike Method B1-02[/color]
Ball - Titleist ProV1x
[color=#008080]#supportyourlocalmuni[/color]

[color=#008080]WITB: [/color][url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1303874-toddashford-nike-bag/page__p__13196536#entry13196536"]http://www.golfwrx.c...6#entry13196536[/url]
[twitter]toddash[/twitter]
instagram.com/toddash18

Shootout15-09.jpg

Shootout15-10.jpg

Pure,

two great looking drivers. The Callaway is a beast IMO. Can't wait to see what happens in the windy conditions actually! Last year my buddy who used to play on the hooters tour gave up on his BB to go Covert because the wind just knocked around the low spin BB.

Two great looking heads right there and I dont see how you can go wrong either. All comes down to what you like the look and feel of more.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

I played today, and pretty much put the Flex in cold turkey after hitting 4 balls with it on the range. Today I was the guy who was running late and found out I was in the first group in our game. Anyways, I hit a few drives as expected, a few really great, one beyond terrible, and a few that were just okay.. thus, my round was very mediocre. The conditions were very windy and usually either swirling or straight into us all day. Not ideal conditions to be trying to break in a new driver or get any type of confidence with it.

After the round the wind died down and I went out on the course with a buddy and we tinkered with the Flex. It got to the point where we decided I needed to get the SLDR out of my car and see what these do side by side. So that's what we did, I hit 3 balls with each club on 2 good driving holes and then did it again, so this process was done 4 total times. The first two times I was hitting the SLDR much straighter, but then started to dial in the Flex and got used to swinging it. After the last test was done my buddy said the Flex was the better driver. The Flex was consistently a little longer than the SLDR. The adjustability with the Flex is really cool. I tried a few different settings but right now I have it set to 9.5 Right-Low, the Oven recommendation was 9.5 Neutral-Mid or Low depending, but I did find the Flex wanted to turn over and go left more than how my SLDR is set up. I didn't notice any issues with forgiveness at all.. I'm going to play tomorrow and Sunday and plan on using the Flex.

I will say that it looks and sounds amazing! The SLDR is such a solid performing club for me, if one of these drivers is legitimately better and helps my game, I will be a happy man :)

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Thanks for the info on the Flex, I am really looking toward to trying it.

TM Stealth 2+ 10.5deg Hzrdus Smoke 4G Black 60 6.0

Titleist TSi2 16.5deg Hzrdus Smoke Black 70 6.0

TM Stealth 2+ 3 Hybrid Project X Black 80 stiff

TM P770 5-AW DG 105 S300

TM MG4 54/58 DG 105 S300

SC Newport Select 34" (rotate them)

TM TP5X

I am so anti TM... but I put the SLDR in the bag and I love it. Cosmetically appealing at setup to me as well. Going to be hard to kick this out the bag.

TM SiM 9* Kuro Kage XT 60 TX

TM SiM 15* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X

Titleist u500 2 Diamana Tensei Blue 90X, 4 DG TI S400

Titleist T100 5-6 DG TI S400

Titleist MB 7-PW DG TIS400
Artisan TW/TGR Blade 50*, Artisan 55R, 59TW S400
001 TW Proto

WITB http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1183320-cota0429-nike-oven-baked-witb-52215/

[quote name='cota0429' timestamp='1419661188' post='10646003']
I am so anti TM... but I put the SLDR in the bag and I love it. Cosmetically appealing at setup to me as well. Going to be hard to kick this out the bag.
[/quote]

I am with you. I resisted the SLDR for a long time because I didn't [i]want[/i] to like it. But I finally caved and gave it a go. Its been in the bag ever since.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Thanks for the review Tai!

Do you think you can post a video of you hitting the Flex so we can get an idea about sound?

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

[quote name='Hot Rod 71' timestamp='1419690264' post='10646585']
[/quote]

I am with you. I resisted the SLDR for a long time because I didn't [i]want[/i] to like it. But I finally caved and gave it a go. Its been in the bag ever since.
[/quote]

+3. I know a lot of competitive amateur golfers that have mostly all Titleist bags with the SLDR in the driver spot.

[quote name='CactusGolf' timestamp='1419690647' post='10646601']
Thanks for the review Tai!

Do you think you can post a video of you hitting the Flex so we can get an idea about sound?
[/quote]

I'll try to get one up, maybe not with my actual swing in it.. but just so you can hear the sound ;)

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

How awesome would it be to send a film crew to document your driver shootouts so we can hear your interaction with the fitter and all the odds and ends.

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

Pure nice write up on your first impressions. Few questions if you don't mind...

What is your usual miss with the driver? You said the flex wants to turn over more than the SLDR. did you find this to be the case after you opened it? Did the flex cartridge do anything noticeable to help or hurt this tendency when you messed around with it or do you feel it was a "face angle" thing only?

While I'm on the subject, did Nike ever mention why flex loft doesn't go past the one left/right setting?

Shootout15-09.jpg

Shootout15-10.jpg

Tai how'd the round go today?

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='Hot Rod 71' timestamp='1419690264' post='10646585']
[/quote]

[/quote]

+1 the last TM club I owned was the R7 425, and that was short lived. Then the SLDR was shot in the dark and I can't really see it being beaten by anything enough to really take it out. Then late summer picked up the SLDR 3 wood and that's not going anywhere either lol.

Tai, looking at the comparison pics from looking at the toe view it seems like the Flex has moderately deep face. If you get a chance sometime can you take a pic of SLDR and Flex faces and again from above together, and the same with the SLDR and DBD the same way?

Thanks.
Ryan

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style