2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Pure745's 2015 Shootout - 915 D4 Trackman #'s Added

Pure745

[quote name='Mikey Town' timestamp='1417810759' post='10549249']
I don't understand some of the posts in this thread.

Pure745 is not paid to do this. These shootout threads take a lot of time and effort to put together. He is putting this information out there as a service to the GolfWRX community.

If the guy doesn't want to purchase a 5th, 6th or 7th driver setup to try, it's not a big deal. Not to mention that the shootout is usually done in one day. We are all human, and only have so many quality driver swings in the tank. Anybody would run out of gas trying to test a dozen drivers.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm going to sit back, relax and enjoy the thread. It's sure to offer up some valuable info.
[/quote]

Thanks for saying this! It really needed to be said. Thanks for taking time to do this for us, Tai!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get what's so wrong with people asking questions? Tai is a big boy, he can answer them yes or no and explain himself.
If someone asks if he's testing a driver and he says no, so be it. But that's all he has to say is yes or no. Nobody is going punish him for saying no to a Bombtech driver. He doesn't need other members to come to his rescue. Being able to ask comprehensive questions and get answers is a fundamental part of this forum's existence.
Either way this will be interesting and should be a good read for most.

[quote name='Clintness' timestamp='1417831557' post='10550659']
I don't get what's so wrong with people asking questions? Tai is a big boy, he can answer them yes or no and explain himself.
If someone asks if he's testing a driver and he says no, so be it. But that's all he has to say is yes or no. Nobody is going punish him for saying no to a Bombtech driver. He doesn't need other members to come to his rescue. Being able to ask comprehensive questions and get answers is a fundamental part of this forum's existence.
[/quote]

Wasn't trying to answer for him. Not trying to sound like a fanboy. I have just seen before that drivers tested actually had a shot at going in bag. Never heard bomb tech being in consideration.

[/quote]
Someone did ask Tai if he would hit the Bomb tech in this thread. He said no. Then the last 2 pages have turned pretty demanding in what he should try. He spends his own money on these to test and report his findings for us because he wants to, not because he has to. Whatever Tai decides to test is fine with me, if he doesn't have a certain club in the shootout that you like then it may be time to do a shootout of your own. I'm not attacking anybody with this post but please let's not drive one of the best and most well known posters away because you're unhappy with what he chooses.

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

Tai

Where in the area are you gonna do the shoot out? I can either show up with a video camera, or pop corn and beer and just sit n watch!

?

[indent=1]M2 Atmos Black[/indent]
[indent=1]M2 Speeder[/indent]
[indent=1]Ping G Tensei Blue[/indent]
[indent=1]p790 Modus 130[/indent]
[indent=1]O-Works Red 7s
Z Star XV[/indent]

[quote name='ThunderBuzzworth' timestamp='1417838187' post='10551105']
[/quote]
Someone did ask Tai if he would hit the Bomb tech in this thread. He said no. Then the last 2 pages have turned pretty demanding in what he should try. He spends his own money on these to test and report his findings for us because he wants to, not because he has to. Whatever Tai decides to test is fine with me, if he doesn't have a certain club in the shootout that you like then it may be time to do a shootout of your own. I'm not attacking anybody with this post but please let's not drive one of the best and most well known posters away because you're unhappy with what he chooses.
[/quote]
To be completely honest, I didn't see any demanding of what to test going on. Just my eyes though. People were just asking what he's going to hit or not hit, I actually only saw one person that said "you need to test blah blah driver" on the last page. I don't care what he tests, I just used Bombtech as an example.
I'm just saying as much as you wanna protect Tai's ability to post without being annoyed or whatever, you have to be able to protect all member's ability to post reasonable questions without getting a team of old timers here bagging on them, let's not drive them away either. The thread says "Driver Shootout" I'm sure people are just curious if the one they're interested in will get tested.

Tai is generally pretty mature to these questions, this thread has over 30k+ views and it's going to be a great read. At least let people discuss on here.

Having played with Tai and his regulars quite a few times the Wilson and Grenade drivers need a little more clout to make that 4 some. I am sure that they are great drivers but unless they are 20 yards further,10 yards straighter and sound like persimmon than the juice probably isn't worth the squeeze.

Wow, not sure how this thread got to this point.. but seriously thank you to those who responded :drinks:

Seems like I have had to type this in every Shootout thread, but this thread originally started 3 years ago basically out of frustration of sifting through a lot of biased OEM marketing hype on WRX to find unbiased and thoughtful reviews on clubs/shafts that might work for my game. Found out that only a very select few members on here had that type of information and ultimately it came down to me buying each setup, trying it on the course and selling the ones that did not make it. This process was very expensive and time consuming to do, I started the "Shootout" threads to have a centralized place to refer fellow WRXers to when I was asked questions via PM or on a thread, I could point them here.

The method has changed a lot since the first Shootout, last year's may have been the best "method" and will be used again this year. It is the most accurate and consistent way to show the results with all factors being the same, and then verified on the golf course, this process is also the most useful for me and my game. Someone asked me if I would be trying a certain driver, I said no, I have never heard of said driver and have no interest in trying it. If you want to try it, go hit it yourself and start a thread about it so that those interested can read your review. My threads have always been about the drivers I am personally in the market to buy or plan on trying out thinking they might be better than what I currently have, it's very simple. The range of drivers I try is usually the stuff most fellow WRX'ers are trying since we like to try what is hot and new, sometimes I'll try a few outliers (last year was the Fourteen GeLongD) in 2012 it was the VR LTD (which ended up winning), so I'm not opposed to trying something new, but I'm also not picking up every new driver from any OEM and whacking it around at PGA Super Store for sh*ts and giggles.

This thread is supposed to be a fun and light read for those interested and that find this info useful. I hope to keep it that way.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

[quote name='Doc420' timestamp='1417848661' post='10551517']
I like that Tai does these shootouts, but I really want to know, what is the last wood that has stayed in his bag more than one season? I have read Tai posts for years, and I'm not sure if I remember wood staying in that long.
[/quote]

I'll usually stick with something until I find a compelling reason to change. The SLDR has been in my bag for a while now, but if something is really better, I will use that club. Heck, there are people on here changing clubs/bags every other day! For WRX, I would say my clubs a LOT more actual course time than most :)

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1417848476' post='10551513']
I'll try a few outliers (last year was the Fourteen GeLongD) in 2012 it was the VR LTD (which ended up winning), so I'm not opposed to trying something new, [b]but I'm also not picking up every new driver from any OEM and whacking it around at PGA Super Store for sh*ts and giggles.[/b]

This thread is supposed to be a fun and light read for those interested and that find this info useful. I hope to keep it that way.
[/quote] Wait, so you're telling me that going to PGAss and hitting into a net isn't the best way to review something???

Keep up the great work Pure, I'm looking forward to the latest shootout.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1417846772' post='10551477']
Having played with Tai and his regulars quite a few times the Wilson and Grenade drivers need a little more clout to make that 4 some. I am sure that they are great drivers but unless they are 20 yards further,10 yards straighter and sound like persimmon than the juice probably isn't worth the squeeze.
[/quote]

This makes absolutely no sense to me. From reading previous shootouts, it seems like on course performance is the main criteria for picking a winner. Why would a driver have to be unrealistically better than the others, just because it's not "cool" enough? The guy spends his own money to do this, and is certainly entitled to do it and try whatever he damn well pleases. A great deal of the community appreciates that, but all the fluffing from people coming to "rescue" him from people asking questions gets old. /rant

What drivers went on the initial list for consideration, Pure? I know you tried and didn't get along with the i25, but did the g30 make it onto the list for consideration? It seems like a bunch of the PING guys are pairing it up with the Rogue with great success.

[quote name='BombTechGolf' timestamp='1417885681' post='10552675']
[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1417846772' post='10551477']
[/quote]

Clout? Isn't performance and confidence the only metrics.
[/quote]

:stop:

Bombtech, I have tried to respond cordially to you and other guys trolling this thread. You guys have obviously not read the multiple posts I have commented on the distances etc. As a sponsor of this forum, you have your own dedicated forum to post for the people interested in your product. I am clearly not one, and after reading your posts, will never be interested in them. Please take the high road and stop posting in here. Clintness you have trolled me in the Vapor thread, your posts got deleted and you started a subsequent thread crying about it.. If you don't like my threads or me, then stop reading them. Please.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Sorry this thread's gone the wrong way. You keep doing your thing. These threads are popular because you share your fitting process and YOUR CHOICE OF CLUBS with all of us without particular bias/sponsorship. My recommendation of the new Cobra Fly Z+ driver was based on a European Tour player telling me that it was REALLY GOOD but of course decisions on what to try are all yours. Keeping tuned in to your process. :taunt:

Tai can you please review lefty clubs? Otherwise i really get nothing out of this....Here's a list of ones i want reviewed

-Adams A3 boxer with stock shaft
-Cleveland Hibore XLS with Nunchuck
-TaylorMade Burner 420 with X100 steel shaft
-Burrows MAC powersphere
-John Letters TR47 with a Ping TFC shaft
-Tiger Woods former personal Nike Ignite 460
-Cobra womens baffler XL

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1417895744' post='10553353']
Tai can you please review lefty clubs? Otherwise i really get nothing out of this....Here's a list of ones i want reviewed

-Burrows MAC powersphere
-Cobra womens baffler XL
[/quote] :cheesy:

[quote name='Doc420' timestamp='1417896201' post='10553391']
[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1417895744' post='10553353']

-Burrows MAC powersphere
-Cobra womens baffler XL
[/quote] :cheesy:
[/quote]

I agree I'm left handed too. That's to funny. Great work Taj always a lot of great information in your shootouts.

I think Tai has posted great reviews but it amazes me how people are acting in his thread. It's his review off of his specs and swing. Majority of the community is not as good as Tai nor do they have a swing like his. That's not trying to insult everyone but it's the reality.

Look to his review as one persons opinion but take it with a grain of salt as well. Just because something works for him doesn't mean it will work for you. If you dont like the clubs he tested then do your own shootout.

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 75tx) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 85tx)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1417892856' post='10553189']
Bombtech, I have tried to respond cordially to you and other guys trolling this thread. You guys have obviously not read the multiple posts I have commented on the distances etc. As a sponsor of this forum, you have your own dedicated forum to post for the people interested in your product. I am clearly not one, and after reading your posts, will never be interested in them. Please take the high road and stop posting in here. Clintness you have trolled me in the Vapor thread, your posts got deleted and you started a subsequent thread crying about it.. If you don't like my threads or me, then stop reading them. Please.
[/quote]
Holy hell you are so fragile, I haven't trolled you at all in this thread, and I only asked questions in the vapor thread and you took something I said WAY out of context which you seem to be doing again. Please point out where I am trolling here? Point out where I was trolling in the Vapor thread? I was actually looking forward to reading your results here, and have never said anything about not liking your threads. I didn't say anything demeaning on here at all, I'm only saying people should be able to ask questions that aren't THAT outgoing without fear of getting a bad rep on here. Some people are trolling, yes, but not everyone. They have a right to ask questions.

Have fun deleting my posts again.

I made a thread crying about you deleting my posts? Ironic when all you do is cry when I or someone asks you a pretty simple question or makes a suggestion and then the whole WRX army jumps on the bandwagon and cries/attacks together and it's ridiculous.
I've completely lost my interest in this thread now man. Thanks.

^^^ Maybe that means you'll stop posting in it then.

Sure is a lot of discontent and snide comments in this thread. I think the majority appreciate it for what it is but a few aren't realizing the purpose of this thread. I've been reading Tai's posts for years and have based a lot of blind purchases and demos off of them and never once been disappointed. Tai creates these threads every year for people to follow his process of picking new equipment. Not for people to question what clubs are represented and why, or debate the validity of the content. I really don't see any possible reason for argument in a thread where only one person's opinion is really relevant.

Anyway, nice work Tai. I'm in need of a new driver for the spring and I'm sure your reviews will have a big impact on that decision as usual. Looking forward to see how this process turns out, especially for the Vapor Flex, R15 and DBD.

Taylormade Stealth Plus (9) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 60

Taylormade Stealth Plus (15) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 70

Taylormade Stealth Plus (19) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 80

Srixon Z945 3-PW - DG Tour X100

Taylormade MG3 54.11 - DG Tour S400

Taylormade MG3 60.08 - DG Tour S400

Scotty Cameron Studio Style NP2

[quote name='JJK947' timestamp='1417912164' post='10554349']
^^^ Maybe that means you'll stop posting in it then.

Sure is a lot of discontent and snide comments in this thread. I think the majority appreciate it for what it is but a few aren't realizing the purpose of this thread. I've been reading Tai's posts for years and have based a lot of blind purchases and demos off of them and never once been disappointed. Tai creates these threads every year for people to follow his process of picking new equipment. Not for people to question what clubs are represented and why, or debate the validity of the content. I really don't see any possible reason for argument in a thread where only one person's opinion is really relevant.

Anyway, nice work Tai. I'm in need of a new driver for the spring and I'm sure your reviews will have a big impact on that decision as usual. Looking forward to see how this process turns out, especially for the Vapor Flex, R15 and DBD.
[/quote]
Totally agree. Thank you Tai for all your hard work and honest opinions on all the equipment you have tested.

[quote name='Clintness' timestamp='1417907666' post='10554119']
[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1417892856' post='10553189']
[/quote]
Holy hell you are so fragile, I haven't trolled you at all in this thread, and I only asked questions in the vapor thread and you took something I said WAY out of context which you seem to be doing again. Please point out where I am trolling here? Point out where I was trolling in the Vapor thread? I was actually looking forward to reading your results here, and have never said anything about not liking your threads. I didn't say anything demeaning on here at all, I'm only saying people should be able to ask questions that aren't THAT outgoing without fear of getting a bad rep on here. Some people are trolling, yes, but not everyone. They have a right to ask questions.

Have fun deleting my posts again.

I made a thread crying about you deleting my posts? Ironic when all you do is cry when I or someone asks you a pretty simple question or makes a suggestion and then the whole WRX army jumps on the bandwagon and cries/attacks together and it's ridiculous.
I've completely lost my interest in this thread now man. Thanks.
[/quote]

Your questions come across as trolling because you are looking to find holes and it comes across that you are insinuating that Pure is not telling the entire truth, holding something back, or drunk on Kool Aid..... I am not sure if you actually think one of those things or are just a jealous and this is how you deal with it, or if you just have a lot of time on your hands and are one of those guys that like to pick apart Trackman numbers from their computer, or maybe it's none of those and we are all reading too far into you.... In any case that is why you come across as trolling, perhaps you don't mean it and we all owe you an apology for misunderstanding your intent.... But if you really are none of those things you should just stop single handily ruining this thread and let it get back on topic. After his review is done and you have a valid question, ask it in way that does not come across as Trolling, sound sincere and like you are not auditing the data and I am sure he will gladly answer it like he has for thousands of other questions through the years.

I know that you are going to respond and say something like "Let Pure reply, he's a big boy, stop rescuing him" so I will deal with that upfront.... There are reasons that we all stick up for each other (not just Pure but many of us help each other out) it's because we are all friends and respect each other, we know what each other are all about, and don't let strangers troll each other.. Also we want certain members to not get discouraged or frustrated and stop posting or stop taking their time and money to share experiences because they get tiered of dealing with this kind of Bull :censored2: .

Cheers....

I posted two iron numbers a few weeks ago. Same irons same situation on the same monitor and got destroyed by people. I was just trying to bring in some interesting info which was the ball speed. However people went up and down picking every other number apart.

For all the effort Pure puts in, he deserves the trips to the Oven and some props on here. His cash, his thread, his choices.

I did a shaft shootout but didn't have the time or access to reliable machines. I got it to 3 pages. There is a reason Pure has threads that go 20+ easily. My personal thanks to Pure for being a maniac and putting forward this much effort.

The haters gonna hate hate hate hate hate...
Pure is gonna swing swing swing swing swing...

Wrx is a village and like any village there is the village idiot. The funny thing is the village idiot never knows that he's the village idiot.

There is something called manners and someone with manners don't go and piss in the neighbor's yard. Guy who pisses on good neighbor's yard = village idiot. :D

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 7 wood Rogue 130MSI 80

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 4-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

This thread got way too off-topic.

Excited to read your results, Pure. Keep up your excellent work!!

Titleist 913D2 9.5° AD-BB7s NDMC Wht/Bl
Titleist 910F 15° AD-DI 8s NDMC Blk/Rd
Titleist 712U 2i 18° KBS C-Taper Stiff
Titleist AP2 712 3-PW KBS C-Taper Stiff
Titleist SM4 54.11 SM4 58.08
Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2