2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Pure745's 2015 Shootout - 915 D4 Trackman #'s Added

Pure745

I check in from time to time waiting to see what you have to say about the DBD, and possibly the Fly Z + if you get a hold of one. I will check back in another week or so.

LEFT HANDED

Callaway Paradym Smoke TD with Metaflex 5H shaft 
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Second that UnderPar18. I've said that ever since finding Tai's threads regarding his shootouts. It amazes me that people just can't appreciate his time and work he puts in to these. Every swing is unique and different. What setup works with one guy doesn't guarantee the same results for the other. Please quit asking the man to try out more clubs. He's said it numerous times now, if you want to know how certain clubs perform go try them out. Now let's get back to enjoying this great thread!!

Do y'all buy your chap stick in bulk, or one tube at a time? :dntknw:

By the way, I look forward to reading the reviews.

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

[quote name='Mikey Town' timestamp='1417810759' post='10549249']
I don't understand some of the posts in this thread.

Pure745 is not paid to do this. These shootout threads take a lot of time and effort to put together. He is putting this information out there as a service to the GolfWRX community.

If the guy doesn't want to purchase a 5th, 6th or 7th driver setup to try, it's not a big deal. Not to mention that the shootout is usually done in one day. We are all human, and only have so many quality driver swings in the tank. Anybody would run out of gas trying to test a dozen drivers.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm going to sit back, relax and enjoy the thread. It's sure to offer up some valuable info.
[/quote]

Cleaned up aisle 4!!!!

I deleted a bunch of posts that had very little to do with the test. I also deleted posts that were good but were written in reaction to posts I deleted so I removed them also... Sorry!

This is a thread that is about one mans journey and please be respectful. If he wants to use persimmon woods than he can. That is his test and his alone. Please stay on topic.

Take the high road and treat others as you would want to be treated.

Richard

[quote name='BombTechGolf' timestamp='1417798590' post='10548231']
[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1417646054' post='10538721']
Will you be pulling the pin in this shootout? Any chance of us seeing the BombTech Grenade being launched at 180+ ball speed?
[/quote]

Clearly he doesn't want to show up the big brands with higher ball speeds!
[/quote]

I think he answered your question with this reply
"[color=#282828]but this thread originally started 3 years ago basically out of frustration of sifting through a lot of biased OEM marketing hype on WRX to find unbiased and thoughtful reviews on clubs/shafts that might work for my game."[/color]

[color=#282828]Your all over the internet promoting your driver. It's your right and good for you. [/color]

[color=#282828]But here is a great read from someone that has been there, done that.[/color]

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/255733/why-you-shouldnt-start-a-golf-equipment-business/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...pment-business/[/url]
[color=#282828]Hope it isn't too late.[/color]

Tai - looking for a low spin head that launches the ball higher;

which did you find had lowest spin but greatest launch?

my issue is that i'm a high spin player, i have a shaft that fits me but i need a head that gets my LA up a bit.

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / Tensei Pro White 100TX
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

SC Phantom 5.5 (2024) 35”

[quote name='BombTechGolf' timestamp='1417798590' post='10548231']
[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1417646054' post='10538721']
Will you be pulling the pin in this shootout? Any chance of us seeing the BombTech Grenade being launched at 180+ ball speed?
[/quote]

Clearly he doesn't want to show up the big brands with higher ball speeds!
[/quote]

Any chance you would do you're own shootout against the new products of the major manufacturers? That way everyone can start sending requests in the thread for you're driver to go up against. Then, when one guy out of 20,000 members wants a Srixon comparison you can decide whether or not to do it.

Driver - [color=#0000ff]Nike Vapor Fly Pro - Fujikura Pro Series 65 - Stiff[/color]
3W - [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#00ff00]Cobra Bio Cell Blue - Matrix Ozik white tie[/color][/font]
5W - [color=#0000ff]Nike Vapor Fly - Tensei CK Blue 65F - Stiff[/color]
Hybrid - [color=#ff0000]Nike Covert Tour 2.0 - Kuro Kage Stiff[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Irons - Cobra S3 Pro 3-PW[/color]
[color=#ff0000]Nike Engage - 52* Square, 60* Dual Sole[/color] [color=#0000cd]Project X PXi 6.5[/color]
Putter - [color=#808080]Nike Method B1-02[/color]
Ball - Titleist ProV1x
[color=#008080]#supportyourlocalmuni[/color]

[color=#008080]WITB: [/color][url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1303874-toddashford-nike-bag/page__p__13196536#entry13196536"]http://www.golfwrx.c...6#entry13196536[/url]
[twitter]toddash[/twitter]
instagram.com/toddash18

[quote name='gioguy21' timestamp='1418050651' post='10561641']
Tai - l[b]ooking for a low spin head that launches the ball higher[/b];

my issue is that i'm a high spin player, i have a shaft that fits me but i need a head that gets my LA up a bit.
[/quote]

Aren't we all? Tai can give you his opinion as well but this simply isn't out there. Just the way it is with shafts that can't be "high launch and low spin" its the same with driver heads-- they can't launch the ball higher and decrease spin. Your swing has to do that. That's why so many people promote getting fit and finding that combination that works [i]for you [/i]by getting the correct head and choosing the correct loft when combining that with the shaft that works in combination with the other components. BUT there really is no head in itself that simply launches the ball higher while lowering spin or maintaining already low spin.

Pretty much all the modern drivers of 2013, 2014 and moving into 2015 are attempting to do the same thing. Highest launch with the lowest spin possible while trying to provide maximum forgiveness in the process. That's why most preach: fitting, fitting, fitting unless you can test like Tai can test... which is truly the best way to find the ultimate driver for your game. Ultimately TrackMan or Flightscope are great tools to get you there but making sure you can take it to the course is BY FAR the most important thing. That was one of my favorite parts of Tai's prior shootouts-- he took the ones that has great numbers on the Doppler and on the range to the course for real deal golf course testing. You don't see any other reviews with that much detail... and those on course review from your top performers is the absolute BEST way to choose your "gamer."

Short answer to your question-- there isn't one. Going down in loft with a MAX MOI driver where off center hits aren't penalized by creating more spin OR going up in loft with a forward CG driver. Combine that with the correct shaft and specs and you can achieve what you're asking-- but there is no simple answer that company A offers driver head B that does what you want.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

Yea I know this...just asking if he found the vapor to launch higher than the 915 with similar spin...

So when is this shootout? So far this is a bigger letdown then that guy i wanted to watch get eaten by a snake.

Look Tai, either feed yourself to a giant snake, or review an Adams A3 boxer and tell me how it compares to other stuff. And i don't care which one it is

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1418094220' post='10565397']
[quote name='gioguy21' timestamp='1418050651' post='10561641']
Tai - l[b]ooking for a low spin head that launches the ball higher[/b];

[/quote]

Aren't we all? Tai can give you his opinion as well but this simply isn't out there. Just the way it is with shafts that can't be "high launch and low spin" its the same with driver heads-- they can't launch the ball higher and decrease spin. Your swing has to do that. That's why so many people promote getting fit and finding that combination that works [i]for you [/i]by getting the correct head and choosing the correct loft when combining that with the shaft that works in combination with the other components. BUT there really is no head in itself that simply launches the ball higher while lowering spin or maintaining already low spin.

Pretty much all the modern drivers of 2013, 2014 and moving into 2015 are attempting to do the same thing. Highest launch with the lowest spin possible while trying to provide maximum forgiveness in the process. That's why most preach: fitting, fitting, fitting unless you can test like Tai can test... which is truly the best way to find the ultimate driver for your game. [b]Ultimately TrackMan or Flightscope are great tools to get you there but making sure you can take it to the course is BY FAR the most important thing. That was one of my favorite parts of Tai's prior shootouts-- he took the ones that has great numbers on the Doppler and on the range to the course for real deal golf course testing.[/b] You don't see any other reviews with that much detail... and those on course review from your top performers is the absolute BEST way to choose your "gamer."

Short answer to your question-- there isn't one. Going down in loft with a MAX MOI driver where off center hits aren't penalized by creating more spin OR going up in loft with a forward CG driver. Combine that with the correct shaft and specs and you can achieve what you're asking-- but there is no simple answer that company A offers driver head B that does what you want.
[/quote] I was going to say that too, easily the best part of Pure's shootouts. His trackman testing is awesome but then he one ups pretty much everyone else by doing in depth reviews over the next few weeks on the course.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

[quote name='gioguy21' timestamp='1418094664' post='10565429']
Yea I know this...just asking if he found the vapor to launch higher than the 915 with similar spin...
[/quote]

You might want to look into the Vapor Pro, the Flex I found to be pretty low launching and definitely low in spin. The Flex might be a good possibility for you since the head is really low spin by nature, the rest would be as JW said, getting it fit to your optimum ball flight and then using the new technology to dial in the spin/launch from there. The SLDR 460 has been one of the best drivers I have hit, very low spin across the face, even on misses and the ability to go up in loft while maintaining low spin.

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1418095628' post='10565513']
So when is this shootout? So far this is a bigger letdown then that guy i wanted to watch get eaten by a snake.

Look Tai, either feed yourself to a giant snake, or review an Adams A3 boxer and tell me how it compares to other stuff. And i don't care which one it is
[/quote]

Just found out that I should be getting the Flex in about 2 weeks, so I will do this when it comes in. Also, the DBD came in with Rogue 110, I haven't hit it yet.. but it's here.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1418104545' post='10566023']
[/quote]

You might want to look into the Vapor Pro, the Flex I found to be pretty low launching and definitely low in spin. The Flex might be a good possibility for you since the head is really low spin by nature, the rest would be as JW said, getting it fit to your optimum ball flight and then using the new technology to dial in the spin/launch from there. The SLDR 460 has been one of the best drivers I have hit, very low spin across the face, even on misses and the ability to go up in loft while maintaining low spin.

[/quote]

Just found out that I should be getting the Flex in about 2 weeks, so I will do this when it comes in. Also, the DBD came in with Rogue 110, I haven't hit it yet.. but it's here.
[/quote]
Two weeks, that'll be a great X-mas present. I can't wait for the shoot out!

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Enjoy reading these; minus the Mickey mouse banter; the guy is really doing a public service. Show some respect

*place holder*

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

[quote name='MNNikeGuy' timestamp='1418136486' post='10566823']
[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1418104545' post='10566023']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Two weeks, that'll be a great X-mas present. I can't wait for the shoot out!
[/quote]
Hopefully a good Christmas present for a few of us!

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1418109570' post='10566121']
No way to get the DBD with the 125? They want too much for it? or wouldn't even do it for you?
[/quote]

It wasn't even an option. I got the 60x, probably will sell it, but the only have the 70x in S or R flex :huh:

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1418145884' post='10567573']
[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1418109570' post='10566121']
No way to get the DBD with the 125? They want too much for it? or wouldn't even do it for you?
[/quote]

It wasn't even an option. I got the 60x, probably will sell it, but the only have the 70x in S or R flex :huh:
[/quote]

Their custom department is odd-- at least what is offered to the public. Why have 60X but only 70 in R and S? It's the same way for a bunch of different shafts where there's no rhyme or reason for it. Hell its backwards for what makes more sense to offer in a lot of cases when you take a look at their custom options tab.

716MB (5-PW)- DG S400

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1418145884' post='10567573'][quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1418109570' post='10566121']
[/quote]

It wasn't even an option. I got the 60x, probably will sell it, but the only have the 70x in S or R flex :huh:[/quote]

Yeah their custom shafts are odd for sure. Is anyone offering the 125 as an upgrade other then Titleist? I know Nike gave u one but are they offering it?

What are your plans on testing the DBD considering the 110 60x is fairly different then the 125 70tx ? I have both and they might as well be called different names. Any chance that cool clubs has one with a cally adaptor? Be a shame not to test everything with the same shaft. I have the 70tx/ DBD combo and its stellar but 60x spun a few hundred Rpms higher and launch was higher.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

[quote name='J13' timestamp='1418153609' post='10568211'][quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1418145884' post='10567573'][quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1418109570' post='10566121']
[/quote]

It wasn't even an option. I got the 60x, probably will sell it, but the only have the 70x in S or R flex :huh:[/quote]

Yeah their custom shafts are odd for sure. Is anyone offering the 125 as an upgrade other then Titleist? I know Nike gave u one but are they offering it?

What are your plans on testing the DBD considering the 110 60x is fairly different then the 125 70tx ? I have both and they might as well be called different names. Any chance that cool clubs has one with a cally adaptor? Be a shame not to test everything with the same shaft. I have the 70tx/ DBD combo and its stellar but 60x spun a few hundred Rpms higher and launch was higher.[/quote]

I believe Nike said they can pretty much get anything that is offered, as far as the Rogue 125, I'm not 100% sure. Ideally every club will have the Rogue 125, but I'm not sure how realistic it will be for me to buy 2 or 3 more of them for the Shootout. One option would be to find a similar performing shaft that I can use in all heads and also test the heads I have with the Rogue 125 as well. But I still might just buy the Rogues.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1418154604' post='10568297']
[quote name='J13' timestamp='1418153609' post='10568211'][quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1418145884' post='10567573'][quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1418109570' post='10566121']
[/quote]

What are your plans on testing the DBD considering the 110 60x is fairly different then the 125 70tx ? I have both and they might as well be called different names. Any chance that cool clubs has one with a cally adaptor? Be a shame not to test everything with the same shaft. I have the 70tx/ DBD combo and its stellar but 60x spun a few hundred Rpms higher and launch was higher.[/quote]

I believe Nike said they can pretty much get anything that is offered, as far as the Rogue 125, I'm not 100% sure. Ideally every club will have the Rogue 125, but I'm not sure how realistic it will be for me to buy 2 or 3 more of them for the Shootout. One option would be to find a similar performing shaft that I can use in all heads and also test the heads I have with the Rogue 125 as well. But I still might just buy the Rogues.
[/quote]

Yeah it's not easy or cheap that's for sure. Maybe last years 757. You can get some pretty good deals on those with the Evolutions coming out. Or if you have access where your testing to do club work and they use the good epoxy that van's use 10 minutes and your hitting it. You could actually pull the adaptors over a lunch break and be hitting the new heads by the time your done your sandwhich. But again you would need to be at a place that could actually do that. I have no idea where your testing stuff.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

[quote name='dukediv2011' timestamp='1418348837' post='10581041']I tried the Z745 today. It was a gem! With all of the drivers that are out/coming out, Srixon wasn't even on my radar. Now it is.

Thanks again, Tai, for your willingness to do this shootout![/quote]
I second this. I hit the Z745 yesterday and was thoroughly impressed. Sound and feel were very good, muted and the overall performance was solid, if only a touch spinny

Sorry for the delay, I was in Denver for a week for a new job. Hoping for the Nike stuff next week or the week after.. then I'll do the Shootout. The Srixon does look pretty good, I'll try it out before I get a shaft for it.. the new Cobra is on my radar too, gotta pull some strings to see if I can get a head.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

I just wanted to say-- I think Aldila owes you a few dollars because I guarantee you've sold several Aldila Rogue 125 MSI!! Your internet impact is huge-- you're like the TW of WRX for club appeal. What's Pure745 playing?? I have to have one!!!!

716MB (5-PW)- DG S400

I think I may have asked this before Tai but do you think the flex ball speed was so high in part to the rzn black ball? I am beyond curious to see this years shootout results.

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1418518130' post='10589751']
I just wanted to say-- I think Aldila owes you a few dollars because I guarantee you've sold several Aldila Rogue 125 MSI!! Your internet impact is huge-- you're like the TW of WRX for club appeal. What's Pure745 playing?? I have to have one!!!!
[/quote]

Lol! I just read your post in your WITB, great minds think alike! Glad you hear your thoughts on the 757 and Rogue 125 are almost dead on to what I found with them. Honestly, when I got the Rogue 125 last year, it had "cool" appeal, but it was actually one of the best performing shafts I had played.. I didn't want to sound too Kool Aide about it since it wasn't retail at the time but the numbers proved what I was seeing on the course. It really is a great shaft! I just play what works best and try to be as honest about it as I can.

Have you hit the 757 Evolution TS yet? That's on my radar.. I'm sticking with the Rogue 125 because it's that good.. but I'm not opposed to switching it up every once in a while :)

[quote name='ThunderBuzzworth' timestamp='1418518176' post='10589765']
I think I may have asked this before Tai but do you think the flex ball speed was so high in part to the rzn black ball? I am beyond curious to see this years shootout results.
[/quote]

No. I hit both the SLDR and the Flex with the same RZN Black balls at the Oven so it was definitely apples to apples out there. I'm really waiting on the Flex to arrive before I do the Shootout, with what I saw at the Oven, I feel that the Flex is the club to beat. I smoked a few balls with the R15, but the Flight Scope #'s are not as accurate IMO, as the Trackman. Pretty excited to try out the new clubs, I have a lot of tournaments late this year and beginning of next, should be fun getting these things out on the course!

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ