G-MEN UNITE

ShortSticks

Just picked up some G425s and going to test them against my G25s.  Performance wise time will tell but I love how the G425s look behind the ball. 

• Like 3

PING G425 MAX DRIVER w/ACCRA TZX 255

TAYLORMADE 300 MINI w/ACCRA TZX 265

PING G425 MAX 5W w/ACCRA FX 2.0 200F

PING G425 MAX 7W w/ACCRA FX 2.0 200F

PING G425 5H w/ACCRA FX 2.0 200H

PING G425 6H w/ACCRA FX 2.0 200H

PING G425 7-SW w/ACCRA ICWT 95

PING GLIDE 4.0 60-10S w/ACCRA 105i

PING ZING 2 PLD CUSTOM

5 hours ago, EmptyWallet said:

I have a set of G25s that I will never part with. I am considering picking up a set of Raptures for my father - either V1 or V2. 

How do the Raptures (either version) compare with irons for seniors and high-cappers of today?

As a senior, I have the original (V1) Raptures and played them exclusively for many years. Very forgiving especially for my main miss which is a toe hit. They feel amazing to me, especially compared to the newer, harder faced and hollow-body irons. I also have the newer Cleveland Launcher HB's (hybrid irons). They also are very forgiving, but do not feel as good to me. Right now I'm actually playing a combo set of the Cleveland irons (4-7 irons as hybrids), and the Raptures (7-PW). The Cleveland 7-iron is 30*, while the Rapture 7-iron is 34*, so in a pure distance test, the Cleveland irons go further by about one club due to the stronger lofts. There are a number a number of current irons (GI/SGI) out there that are as forgiving as the Raptures, but there's just something about the Raptures that keep me bagging at least some of them. Can't really go wrong either way, Raptures or current models, but best to see what your father prefers. Not everyone can get over the looks of the Pings and not everyone can stomach the looks of hybrid like irons. Good luck to you, and thank you for thinking of your dear old dad!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/18/2023 at 9:18 AM, Nelson.br.1515 said:

Just picked up some G425s and going to test them against my G25s.  Performance wise time will tell but I love how the G425s look behind the ball. 

Report back on how they compare in feel.  I always felt the G25s set the precedence for best all-around feel and looks.  I owned and played both, but never hit them head to head.

• Like 2

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Ping G425 5W 
Ping G425 19* 3H
Srixon ZX5 4-P 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*, 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2+

4 hours ago, Conrad1953 said:

OK, I repent. My Honma experiment has ended. I still have my Rapture V2s 3-LW In R Flex AWT steel. 

A few months back though I bought some G410 hybrids in Soft Regular Flex Alta CB Red and I have

been loving those hybrids with that shaft. Having turned 70 last month I thought, well, I'm gonna

get some irons with Soft Regular Graphite too. Like some here, I'm partial to the previous G versions

and bought me a set of very nice G25s 6-SW with the Soft Regular TFC189 shafts. on eBay.

They are supposed to be delivered tomorrow and then it will be off to the range to hit them.

I'm back to being a G-Man.

Welcome back!

• Thanks 1

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 tour 
Titleist ts3 21 Hzrdus Smoke
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Titleist Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Taylormade Myspider Tour X  
Taylormade speedsoft

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

46 minutes ago, Conrad1953 said:

Haha, thanks!

It's good to be back.

Boooo!! 🤣

• Haha 1

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,23.5,28.5 Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Redwood Anser

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

My longest G series irons is a 5 iron and just the other day I came across a G max 4 iron in a charity shop for £10.

I had to get it. I can't stand or use hybrids so I'm always on the look out for long irons.

It went traight in my current minimalist bag and used it for the first time yesterday. 

So easy to hit but it sounds like a hybrid.

Does every Gmax iron sound like that? If so, I'm pleased I only have 1 Gmax in my set.

On 3/26/2023 at 12:46 PM, Conrad1953 said:

These G25s are one of the few sets I've bought over the years where I have no need to change

the grips or anything else. They can go right from the box into my bag. They have brand new

NDMC grips on them....and the grips are legit. I learned how to spot fake NDMC grips many years

ago after buying a couple fakes, lol. 

Just for giggles I took a pic comparing my Rapture V2 7 iron with the G25. I knew my Raptures

have very wide soles. They make the G25s look sleek!

IMG_0663.JPG.ef63c2c6d66856d975bd87520cb714d0.JPG

IMG_0661.JPG

Your Raptures look a lot like my G20s. Virtually the same sole.

i thought of those Raptures a few years ago but figured my G20s were pretty much the same so why change......... LOL

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

47 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

Your Raptures look a lot like my G20s. Virtually the same sole.

i thought of those Raptures a few years ago but figured my G20s were pretty much the same so why change......... LOL

The G20s are great. Wide soles never bothered me, obviously if I can play with the Raptures, lol. 

Ya, the only differences are the ti face and tungsten weight on the Rapture V2s. They offer just

a little more forgiveness on hits toward the toe and a touch higher ball flight loft for loft. 

I could easily play the G20s. I remember when they first came out thinking it was about time Ping

went with a black color scheme. At the time I went with the i20s instead. Looking back I clearly

would have been better off with the G20s......but I fell for the i20 hype here at WRX!

• Like 1

Anyone playing the g425 or g430 with the Elevate MPH shaft ? 

• Like 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________

:taylormade: Qi10 Max 12* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5R

PING G430 SFT 5w 19* | 7w 22* Alta CB Black (set to +/Flat)

Exotics Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design Tour G

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke HL 6-AW True Temper Elevate 85R

PING Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* | Smart Sole C 4.0

PING PLD Anser 2D

33 minutes ago, Conrad1953 said:

The G20s are great. Wide soles never bothered me, obviously if I can play with the Raptures, lol. 

Ya, the only differences are the ti face and tungsten weight on the Rapture V2s. They offer just

a little more forgiveness on hits toward the toe and a touch higher ball flight loft for loft. 

I could easily play the G20s. I remember when they first came out thinking it was about time Ping

went with a black color scheme. At the time I went with the i20s instead. Looking back I clearly

would have been better off with the G20s......but I fell for the i20 hype here at WRX!

Peer pressure. I know it well. :classic_laugh:

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

Don't take this as me trying to G shame the group, as I played a set of GMAX irons for years (and still have them.)  Lately I've been building up sets of forged irons, many JDM offerings and now a few older school blades.  I just got a set of FG-17s and took a few photos of the 5i compared to my GMAX 5i.

Pretty crazy the size difference!

comparo2.jpg

comparo1.jpg

Edited by subrew
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

Ping G425 MAX Flat Big + (Grand Bassara 29R)

Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 16* and 20* (Adams Ultralight 50 Ladies)

Honma Rose Proto 4-9  (Bassara 50HI)

ProtoC P2 46.5* (Bassara 50HI)

Ping Glide 4 52* and 58* (BAssara 50HI)

McGregor Bobby Grace VFoil M5K Putter

26 minutes ago, subrew said:

Don't take this as me trying to G shame the group, as I played a set of GMAX irons for years (and still have them.)  Lately I've been building up sets of forged irons, many JDM offerings and now a few older school blades.  I just got a set of FG-17s and took a few photos of the 5i compared to my GMAX 5i.

Pretty crazy the size difference!

comparo2.jpg

comparo1.jpg

That is crazy, wow. I used to have a set of those Wilsons.

• Like 1

TM Stealth 3W

TM 200 Steel 5W

Lynx Parallax 3-SW

Nike VR Forged 60

Maltby PTM 1

19 hours ago, BCULAW said:

I have an illness and the G series seems to be my (reluctant) cure. I have been a decent player at times with a few rounds in the 60s to my name. Higher swing speed player for an old guy. I have been struggling a bit with my game for the last year or so and decided to go get a thorough iron fitting. As I do every time I start to struggle, I also ordered a set of G425s to demo from the Globalgolf UTry program - 4-U with regular flex AWT shafts. 

Well, my fitting on Friday went well. Fitter put me into a set of Titleist T100s with KBS Tour 130x, and I hit them really well. Very consistent. Long. Was pretty much sold. 

Then the G425s showed up. They are SO far from what I was fit into. Light weigh, far more flexible shaft. Large footprint. Loads of bounce and a thick sole. I couldn’t miss with them. Point and shoot. Nuked the 8th green with an eight iron, but otherwise the distance was spot on. I haven’t hit as many greens in a VERY long time. 

At what point does “fit” not matter?!?!  I only played 11 holes, but I played better with these. Period. 

Just took delivery of my 425's, that is the confirmation bias I need and like to hear!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

G Men- Honest opinions needed. 
I played Eye 2s and then ISIs for years.

Since 2014 I’ve played a variety of clubs but recently I picked up the G425s. I’ve tried steel and graphite in the stock Ping shafts. 
The 4, 5, 6, 7 are great for me. Long, high, and straight.  But, I can’t play the 8 through U Wedge worth a darn. I hit high spinny shots and a fair amount of right flares with those clubs. 
I’m thinking the following: 

a) I’ve gone mental. 
b) I don’t get along with the ascending weight shafts. 
c) Too much bounce in the short irons? 
Any insights on the G425 short irons?

Im thinking of trying the G430s. 

Edited by PJE
  • Like 1

"Get dressed Spaulding, you're playing golf today."
" No I'm not Grandpa, I'm playing tennis."
 "No, you're playing golf and you're going to like it."

14 hours ago, PJE said:

Since 2014 I’ve played a variety of clubs but recently I picked up the G425s. I’ve tried steel and graphite in the stock Ping shafts. 
The 4, 5, 6, 7 are great for me. Long, high, and straight.  But, I can’t play the 8 through U Wedge worth a darn. I hit high spinny shots and a fair amount of right flares with those clubs. 

a) I’ve gone mental. 

I'm not a G Man, but I think I can offer comment...

What you're seeing with the short irons is why I never tried to play G series irons.  I have a friend with G20s, I've hit his long irons with no trouble, but when I got to the short irons, they were unplayable for me, ballooning in even no breeze.

I've always been a high trajectory player, the launch conditions apparently got to the point of no return.  It's one reason I quit playing Eye2+ about a dozen years ago.  I hit them pretty high, and got to a point where a large gap was created between 9i and PW.  (side note:  it's something that may have abated as I've aged)

Perhaps you're in that same area as I was, a dozen years ago.  <shrug>

• Thanks 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

On 4/3/2023 at 10:15 PM, PJE said:

a) I’ve gone mental. 

Hummm, interesting! I’m pretty much in the same boat. I played Eye2’s since the ‘90’s and this year was fit for the G425’s, AWT graphite-1 loft.

Up through the 7 iron, pretty similar but have lost 10 yards from the 8i to Uwedge and regularly hit a higher ballooning shot with the wedges. I think it’s the bounce and sole creating more of a undercut contact, especially in wet or soft conditions.

I thought it was just me?!!

Edited by Motoboss
  • Thanks 1

PING G425 4-UW/SW/Black Dot +1” Alta CB RFlex/ChipR

PING G410 Plus DRIVER 10.5*/3W 14*/3hyb.19*/5W 17.5/9W 22*

PING Putter Custom PLD Anser 4J Proto / Odyssey TriHot #3

VICE Pro Soft Lime Green / Bridgestone Rx-TreoSoft

1 hour ago, Motoboss said:

Hummm, interesting! I’m pretty much in the same boat. I played Eye2’s since the ‘90’s and this year was fit for the G425’s, AWT graphite-1 loft.

Up through the 7 iron, pretty similar but have lost 10 yards from the 8i to Uwedge and regularly hit a higher ballooning shot with the wedges. I think it’s the bounce and sole creating more of a undercut contact, especially in wet or soft conditions.

I thought it was just me?!!

Ha ha, well there's two of us. We can start the "G Men Unite Long to Mid Iron Only" club.  Seriously, I am going to try the G430 and see if I like those better. Although one would think they would be pretty much the same as the G425.  But may as well try. 

I think the G425s are great (except for the short irons). If it doesn't work out, I will keep the Pings in the 4-7 and then use my old clubs in the 8-W.  We'll see! I really, really like these Pings.

• Like 1

"Get dressed Spaulding, you're playing golf today."
" No I'm not Grandpa, I'm playing tennis."
 "No, you're playing golf and you're going to like it."

Hello.

My first post.

I am a relative beginner, having only been playing for a bit under 2 years now.

My handicap is off the chart, but I am improving.

Recently I have been replacing the long end of my starter package set (Wilson) with used clubs from the local golf shop and online.

So far I have a G400 Max driver, G400 SFT #3 wood (which I love), and G400 3H & 4H.

The package set irons start at a 30 degree 6i, so there is a developing gapping issue to the 4H.

Would folk here recommend some used G irons from 5-U that might suit a beginner.

Please bear in mind I am on a severely limited budget.

Or should I look elsewhere for SGI clubs like the G700's (still expensive used).

Also, would a 5H be an easier club to wield than a G 5i? (never hit a 5i yet!).

Cheers G-Men.

• Like 1