2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

On 10/10/2021 at 11:06 AM, Cpk23 said:

Does anybody know a recent release that would be comparable to the original Nike Forged Blades? 

"Recent" might be VR Pro II. They are Tiger approved. Pretty nice club. The high groove count looks fantastic at address. The weighting is smack solid, not light, not super heavy. The tungsten moves sweet spot dead center, they really are the whole package. I hate the stock grips and that's it. Reading between lines of internet chatter, TM P7TW is the same deal but maybe slightly lighter. 

Edited by Nard_S
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Nard_S said:

"Recent" might be VR Pro II. They are Tiger approved. Pretty nice club. The high groove count looks fantastic at address. The weighting is smack solid, not light, not super heavy. The tungsten moves sweet spot dead center, they really are the whole package. I hate the stock grips and that's it. Reading between lines of internet chatter, TM P7TW is the same deal but maybe slightly lighter. 

As someone who has used various Nike blades for as long as I can remember, I can fully endorse this message. The VR Pros are a step up in performance and ease of use, even if they don't quite feel as buttery soft as the originals, and the P7TWs are the VRs with a TM badge on them. 

620MBs are also worth a look, or if you want to look further east the Vega VM-01s I demoed felt remarkably similar, and were soo easy to hit. 

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

I had a round with the MP-14s, 2i to PW with the 3i removed (didn't need it). I've had these MP-14s for a while, and although I practise with them occasionally, I rarely take them to the course. In fact, today might have been the first time.

I know the MP-14s are fairly legendary irons, but I can't make up my mind on them.

On the plus side, they are really soft. Hit it in the middle, and the feeling is bliss. The 50* PW is also a plus, and it meant I only needed that and one other wedge. Great to chip with, too. Finally, they look great in the bag.

On the negative side, I don't particularly like the look at address. The topline is bit chunky, and there's something about the face that bugs me, but I can't put my finger on it. Finally, I know I need an eye test, but the numbers on the sole are hard to read. The 6 and 8 look really similar, and even the 8 and 9 are pretty close. OK, yeah, I really do need an eye test, and some of that last problem is on me. 

I think I'm going to keep them around for a bit longer, but I wouldn't rate them in my top 3 Mizuno irons.

Finally, my putting on and around the greens sucked today. I'm going to blame the greens; they'd been punched, probably about a week ago judging from the state of them. Slow, and bumpy as hell. Last hole, I had a 4~5ft birdie putt (short par 4 and I hit a beautiful pitch). Putt was pretty straight. First attempt, ball bounced off to the right as soon as I hit it. Par. After the last guy had putted out, I had another quick go at the putt from the same spot. This time, it bounced off left and missed. No much you can do about that. One guy I played with must have had over 40 putts today. I know he had 22 on the back nine. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I had a round with the MP-14s, 2i to PW with the 3i removed (didn't need it). I've had these MP-14s for a while, and although I practise with them occasionally, I rarely take them to the course. In fact, today might have been the first time.

I know the MP-14s are fairly legendary irons, but I can't make up my mind on them.

On the plus side, they are really soft. Hit it in the middle, and the feeling is bliss. The 50* PW is also a plus, and it meant I only needed that and one other wedge. Great to chip with, too. Finally, they look great in the bag.

On the negative side, I don't particularly like the look at address. The topline is bit chunky, and there's something about the face that bugs me, but I can't put my finger on it. Finally, I know I need an eye test, but the numbers on the sole are hard to read. The 6 and 8 look really similar, and even the 8 and 9 are pretty close. OK, yeah, I really do need an eye test, and some of that last problem is on me. 

I think I'm going to keep them around for a bit longer, but I wouldn't rate them in my top 3 Mizuno irons.

Finally, my putting on and around the greens sucked today. I'm going to blame the greens; they'd been punched, probably about a week ago judging from the state of them. Slow, and bumpy as hell. Last hole, I had a 4~5ft birdie putt (short par 4 and I hit a beautiful pitch). Putt was pretty straight. First attempt, ball bounced off to the right as soon as I hit it. Par. After the last guy had putted out, I had another quick go at the putt from the same spot. This time, it bounced off left and missed. No much you can do about that. One guy I played with must have had over 40 putts today. I know he had 22 on the back nine. 

I have a set of Founders Club 200 series with a 50 degree PW I've been considering taking next Monday. Going for a round a at a nice Jack Nicklaus track in Shiga called the Bear's Paw. We went there a month or so ago and about a week after I got hit with covid. I suppose it doesn't need to be said that I wasn't firing on all cylinders that day. Actually hit the ball well, but I totally forget to play out of bunkers. And, of course the greens were recently punched. And it was my first time to play it and there were some tricky blind holes... This time I have a lot better idea where to attack...

In other news. I was trying to pull some X-100s out of set of Tourstage TS201s and found them a royal b$%@>. They are threaded, they have some sort of metal bead on the end (managed to pull the PW after trying the 3-iron. Gonna purchase a vice off Yahoo auction along with a few shaft clamps... Actually pretty reasonable to get them both...

Reshafting those raw daiwas is an unending saga devoid of drama and packed with slowly boiling disappointment. How very 2021.

• Like 2

You got hit with Covid and were playing golf a week later? Or a week after recovering? I thought I hadn't seen you post much recently. Hope you're making a full recovery. I was really happy when I got my second dose (edit: of the vaccine) early last month. No side effects, either. Felt slightly bad about it as the wife was suffering for a day or two, while I was all charged up and genki.

There's a Nicklaus-designed course in Yamaguchi I played at called Shimonoseki Golden. It has its quirks, such as a bunker in the middle of one green (the first, IIRC), but from what I remember it's an enjoyable course to play.

The metal bead you said in the shaft wasn't melted lead weight, was it? Occasionally when I've been pulling shafts, I'll get one that's almost impossible to pull, and when I do finally get it off, it invariably has a load of lead weight in the tip. I'm wondering if it forms some sort of vacuum bond when the shaft is heated prior to pulling.

Edited by No_Catchy_Nickname
  • Like 2

Yeah... The covid.... it kind of went around my work place... I had stocked up on every antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and anti-viral potion I could get my hands on in the months preceding.

I was in bed one day. Next couple days just enjoyed the sunshine and worked on my chipping... and a couple days later I was feeling okay, so my father-in-law, who got hit in the spring, said to get my sticks and join him... I could smell the flowers and everything, so it was quite a relief. Best was reaching the par 5 fourth with a perfect 4hybrid from 215 uphill. I told it to get in the hole... No dice.

Hit a lot of good shots that came up inexplicably short until I realized the yardage measurements were to the front of the green... The course I usually play measures to the middle... I just kind of overlooked it. So many shots flushed straight at the pin... and struggling to save pars...

I think that's what it is too - lead. The one I managed to get out looked melted. Between that and the threaded shaft. It's a nightmare, but it's only just started. After the PW, which wasn't so difficult, I tried the 9-iron and it's on it. And, it ain't letting go...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I tried them out, never got on with them. Found them too high launching. Still have a like new #2i. 

The Maruman's are in use and I'm loving them. S400U is a great shaft for me and I've hit some choice shots in past month. The accuracy is next level. 

The swing feels good right now. Much of his year was a disappointment and in great part it's because from the hips down I was less than athletic. At the range this is not an issue for very long but on the course played many rounds where this destroyed any momentum.  A higher sense of dynamic balance changes everything for me and I'm learning to stay tuned into that. Play has greatly improved since and hope the weather holds up for some late season rounds.

Time to time been using a Tempo Walker, a motorized trolley that follows you around. For $20 it is a great way to get around the course. Don't think it makes a round all that much less fatiguing than carrying but it's very convenient and on a hot day, or just a long week worth every penny. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, Nard_S said:

It was guess, so now I know.......Founder's, haha. Well how could you not? Nice.

n

What are you going to do right? That's set number 3... Two satin JDM, one US model chrome... The two I have now set up slightly different. The JDM actually seems to have less offset in the short irons which is nice.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Christen_The_Sloop said:

What are you going to do right? That's set number 3... Two satin JDM, one US model chrome... The two I have now set up slightly different. The JDM actually seems to have less offset in the short irons which is nice.

Have a Janzen grind 200 series set and a Stewart grind 200 series set myself, glad to see you picked up another, 👍🏻sad that I missed them😂 Did recently acquire a NOS set of the Founders forged tour cb with original UST tour weight s+ shafts, plus 1/2”  so got that going for me, which is nice.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

2 hours ago, Mitchell said:

Have a Janzen grind 200 series set and a Stewart grind 200 series set myself, glad to see you picked up another, 👍🏻sad that I missed them😂 Did recently acquire a NOS set of the Founders forged tour cb with original UST tour weight s+ shafts, plus 1/2”  so got that going for me, which is nice.

Nice score yourself. Those were the Jeff Sheets model?

1 hour ago, Christen_The_Sloop said:

Nice score yourself. Those were the Jeff Sheets model?

Apparently so, this particular set came from estate of former PGA tour player Bobby Mitchell and was an Endo forging, for what that is worth. 

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

Those MP-5s are truly sweet, Catchy.  The idea of scoring a set intrigues me a bit.  

Except that I have too many sets.  LOL

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Wow, those MP5's look incredible.

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

I have a question for pure blade players.

Launch window factors, allegedly, anyway, 

have given modern GI clubs much stronger club number / loft correlations.

This is what interests me.   Contemporary blades don't have the multiple piece construction and the sole weighting of GI clubs,

but they still have substantially stronger lofts than the classic blades form the pre-80s era.

How do the new lofts work with the old clubhead styles?

Tour Edge E522___driver

Cleveland QuadPro___4 wood

Top Flite Intimidator 400___5, 7, 9 woods

Mizuno Fli Hi II___driving iron

Titleist T300___7-SW

Titleist SM6___LW

Tad Moore Chicopee___putter

Titleist Pro V1x___ball