2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Ping Anser TR 1966

thinch84

Any physics majors out there? Or maybe Bryson DeChambeau can chime in: I'd really like a 36 inch at 74 degree lie -- which I believe is silver dot. Will the longer shaft make it "feel" heavier? (If so this is a positive). Thinkin Anser 2 with stock PP58 grip -- could be talked into the sound slot.

Yes, the 36" will feel heavier and swing weight heavier as well. I think it would be between E3 and E5. You may be able to get it heavier with a lighter grip too.

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buying a new Anser would mean I won't play my SeeMore anymore.

Why can't we play 2 putters at the same time in our bag.

The good news is that I won't be looking for a Redwood Anser anymore. Left handed are expensive and hard to find.

Have you tried the 1966 line yet? Night and day difference in feel vs. Redwood.

To be honest, I haven't. The milling process is different which I guess influence the feel of the putter.

Ping G400 - 10,5° - Tour 65 Stiff

Cobra BioCell - 15° - Diamana D+ 75 Stiff

Ping G400 - 19° - Tour 85 Stiff

Ping G25 - 4-PW - CFS Stiff

Ping Glide OG (50° - 54° - 58°)

Ping Anser Milled

I am not sure if they can remove the sight line from this model of the Anser 2, but I was successful in getting the wrx department to remove it from a stainless steel anser 2. I added a sight dot on top, as well as tungsten weights on the toe and heel and a sound slot on the sole. It came out great. Check out the pics (sorry for the dark lighting).

After putting with the Anser TR 1966 here are a few observations in comparison to my Anser Milled 0.

Sound is lower pitched than the Milled. Less of a click. Also feedback is a bit more muted. Very smooth feeling with great roll. The topline is slightly thicker. It's very close in shape to the Nike Method 006 Prototype. The bronze will take some getting use to. Might be an issue with glare in bright sunlight. It's shorter heel to toe and wider than the Milled with the bumpers being more rounded. SW are nearly identical. As is toe hang. The tri sole doesn't work very well for me as I like to slide the putter behind the ball. It doesn't glide as easily. The other design feature I would change a long with the finish.

More testing needed. Overall at great putter.

Nike VR Pro Blades 3-PW
Nike Engage 54 SQ
Ping Anser Milled 0
Nike RZN Prototype + RZN Tour Platinum

Anyone know how much variation there might be on these heads? I'm quite happy with my Anser 2 but it is a bit heavier than I expected with an advertised head weight of 340 grams. Can you order a putter and ask for a lighter weight head?

You can add a floating face and lose between 5 to 8 grams.

I used to play an old Anser years ago, putted well with it but eventually got rid of it because of the lack of sight line. The custom options confuse me however. I have a friend that's a retailer. Can he call up Ping and have them make me an Anser 2 with starshot finish, sound slot, and paint fill or are some of these customization being done by a third party? I don't see much on Ping's website. I'd appreciate the help, read through most of the threat and couldn't figure it out.

go to morton golf sales website. very easy to customize these ping putters thru them. i customized and ordered my first one a week ago and it has been a easy process.

I hear ya but I'm not trying to order through morton. I'm wondering if Ping makes these customizations at their factory. Can these putters be ordered like this directly from Ping?

I used to play an old Anser years ago, putted well with it but eventually got rid of it because of the lack of sight line. The custom options confuse me however. I have a friend that's a retailer. Can he call up Ping and have them make me an Anser 2 with starshot finish, sound slot, and paint fill or are some of these customization being done by a third party? I don't see much on Ping's website. I'd appreciate the help, read through most of the threat and couldn't figure it out.

As a PING account holder, I can tell you that the starshot finish, sound slot, and paint fill are done at PING. PINGs website doesn't list any of the custom options that are available through the custom side/WRX.

go to morton golf sales website. very easy to customize these ping putters thru them. i customized and ordered my first one a week ago and it has been a easy process.

I hear ya but I'm not trying to order through morton. I'm wondering if Ping makes these customizations at their factory. Can these putters be ordered like this directly from Ping?

No direct orders through Ping. Must be ordered via Mortons, TGW, local shop, etc. All places priced the same. Mortons just makes it easy because their website allows you to add custom options to your cart.

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Ping G425 5W 
Ping G425 19* 3H
Srixon ZX5 4-P 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*, 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2+

Haven't seen the 1966 TR in person yet but did see the 2016 Newport yesterday. Much more a Ping guy than Cameron (never had a Cameron) but absolutely loved the Newport. Any one tried the 1966 and new Camerons? Would 1966 Anser with sight line come close at all to Newport? Hoping so cause the Newport was $380 + tax.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

I rolled the new 2016 newports and the tr 1966. I was not a fan of the new scottys. The grip felt wrong to me and I didn't like what they did to the face with the inlay insert and all didn't have the feel I like. And to top it off with all the flashy red paint and logos everywhere... Not a fan. For the price the tr 1966 is a great putter in my opinion. You can even customize it and still come in far less expensive then the Scottys.

I rolled the new 2016 newports and the tr 1966. I was not a fan of the new scottys. The grip felt wrong to me and I didn't like what they did to the face with the inlay insert and all didn't have the feel I like. And to top it off with all the flashy red paint and logos everywhere... Not a fan. For the price the tr 1966 is a great putter in my opinion. You can even customize it and still come in far less expensive then the Scottys.

Agreed on all the graphics, etc. Like I said, not a Scotty guy at all. But the feel of the 2016 Newport was the best I've ever felt. Gonna try the 1966 if I can find one and hoping it's close, but I might have to pull the trigger on the Newport. I've never even considered spending that type of $ on a putter before, but it was so solid.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

I currently have a Scotty Del Mar and really like it, but I went into a Golfsmith this weekend and had a chance to hit the TR1966 Anser (with the sound slot) and can say that I was instantly in love. It feels and sounds absolutely perfect. I really think the TR grooves help give it a good forward roll too. I was draining everything with it. I have my Del Mar up for sale on BST as we speak.

Titleist 910D2 w/Diamana D+
Bio Cell + 5-7
MP 53 4-PW
Edel 58*
Ping TR 1966 Anser

Just picked mine up from the club and man this thing is beautiful! I was going to custom order the answer with the star shot finish but I'm glad I didn't, I love the bronze!

Callaway Paradym TD 8*/HZRDUS GEN4 Black Limited Edition 60TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

I putted with one at GolfMart and then tried the new Scorry select Newport and no comparison - the Scotty by a wide margin --- feel, direction control, distance control, looks, everything

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][url="https://www.usna.edu/homepage.php"]Go Navy![/url]

[b][u]WITB[/u][/b]
Titleist 915 D4 8.5 Oban V430 6.5 75g
Titleist 915 F2 15 Rogue Silver 80S
Titleist VG3 18.5 JDM PX 6.0
Titleist 680 raw 4-PW Nippon MODUS 125S
Titleist TVD raw C-C 53 and Indigo SM5 58 DGTI
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport Beach 340g 35"
Scotty Cameron MilSpec Gen2 330g 35"[/font][/size]

I wanted to love the Anser, but not as good as the Anser milled probably due to the weights in the sole of the miled.

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][url="https://www.usna.edu/homepage.php"]Go Navy![/url]

[b][u]WITB[/u][/b]
Titleist 915 D4 8.5 Oban V430 6.5 75g
Titleist 915 F2 15 Rogue Silver 80S
Titleist VG3 18.5 JDM PX 6.0
Titleist 680 raw 4-PW Nippon MODUS 125S
Titleist TVD raw C-C 53 and Indigo SM5 58 DGTI
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport Beach 340g 35"
Scotty Cameron MilSpec Gen2 330g 35"[/font][/size]

I got mine in and finally got a chance to putt with it yesterday. At first I didn't necessarily like it simply due to the fact that I wasn't used to the feel of TR Grooves but after a little more work with it I really started to enjoy the feel and distance control. Great putter.

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | Kuro Kage Dual Core TiNi 60TX

Fairway: PING G425 SFT | Diamana 'ahina 80X

Driving Iron: Taylormade P790 | Project X 6.5

Irons: PING S55 | Project X 6.5

Wedges: Cleveland RTX6 | Dynamic Gold TI S400

Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour S CB

Just purchased mine this AM. First time seeing one in hand. Love the look and feel. Went with the Anser because I don't like alignment aids on my putters. :)

Ping Traverse

TM Qi10 10.5*

TM Qi10 4/7W

TM P790 5-AW

TM Hi Toe 3 54/58*

TM TP Black Soto

TP5

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅