2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Ping Anser TR 1966

thinch84

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Received mine last week and had some time to practice with it for a couple days. I ordered the Anser with starshot finish. My regular putter right now is an anser 0 milled so they are pretty similar. I felt the ball comes off the face a little 'hotter' from the TR1966 compared to my anser milled. Not a bad thing, just takes a few putts to get used to. I am not sure if this is the TR face or the difference of milled vs cast. No problems with glare from the starshot finish. As others have mentioned, the headcover is not very good, just has a weird shape. Overall, very nice putter, especially at the price point.

I really like that starshot Anser. I'd love to see a pic of your zing 2! becu or beni? I had a mint beni zing 2 that I let go like a fool

My Zing 2 is a stainless black one. Won't post the picture in here for the sake of keeping the topic on track, but here's a link to my WITB:

http://www.golfwrx.c.../#entry13422454

As nice as both Ansers are, My stroke still feels most natural with the Zing 2, so I have no intentions to switch. If and when things go bad, I'll figure out which Anser to use first.

I still have absolutely no idea why I went crazy and bought both Ansers...

Edit - doesn't mean I won't take them both out on the course to try... which of course, might convince me to change my mind.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

Anyone know if the finish on the Anser 2 will rust? Is there a way to expedite the rusting process without having to remove the finish? Nothing better than a rusted Ping Anser...

They are Stainless steel, therefore they will not rust. The old MB models would tarnish but not rust. For a model to rust they need to be made from non chrome plated carbon steel.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Man I wish I would have ordered my Anser in that Starshot finish. That is so sexy. I called Morton this morning to try and change my order, but it had already shipped. Oh well. That can be my present to myself in the off season.

Titleist 910D2 w/Diamana D+
Bio Cell + 5-7
MP 53 4-PW
Edel 58*
Ping TR 1966 Anser

I've played a couple rounds with my TR 1966 Anser now. I'm absolutely loving the way this thing feels. Not having any alignment aides has done wonders for my confidence over the ball too. I usually worry that the line(s) on my putter don't match up to the line on the ball once I am standing over it so I tend to make corrections. No worries as there isn't anything to line up to... Ordered mine with 2* of loft and it's absolutely perfect.

Seeing the starshot finish though... wow.

PING G410 LST 9* (Weight neutral) - HZRDUS Black 6.5 
PING G410 14.5* LST - Tensei Pro Orange TX 70
PING Blueprint 3-Pw - KBS Tour S+ - Cushin
PING Glide Forged (Ping Man stamps) - 50º/54º/58º - KBS Tour S+ - Cushin
PING PLD Anser "Honey Badger"
Bridgestone Tour B XS

Anyone know if the finish on the Anser 2 will rust? Is there a way to expedite the rusting process without having to remove the finish? Nothing better than a rusted Ping Anser...

They are Stainless steel, therefore they will not rust. The old MB models would tarnish but not rust. For a model to rust they need to be made from non chrome plated carbon steel.

Any way to oxidize the stainless? muriatic acid dip?

Has anyone passed the honeymoon stage yet?

The Anser 2 was a bit disappointing on the course. Kind of wish I would have picked up the Anser instead.

I found the difference in feel between the TR1966 Anser and Anser 2 to be night and day when I tested them. To me the Anser felt and sounded perfect. The ball comes off the face fairly "hot" with little to no effort. The sound it produces is fairly muted with just a slight metallic ting at impact. I think the Anser may fit someone with a slower paced putting stroke.

The Anser 2 on the other hand felt a bit more "solid" to me. The ball felt a good bit more "dead" coming off the face of the Anser 2, and felt that I had to put a good bit more of speed in my stroke to get it to the hole compared to the Anser. For me the Anser 2 made an almost wooden "thwack" when it struck the ball. The sound was similar to the older Scotty Cameron Newports before the face milling.

These are of course just my opinions, and it could be a totally different experience for someone else.

Bio Cell + 5-7
MP 53 4-PW
Edel 58*
Ping TR 1966 Anser

The Anser 2 was a bit disappointing on the course. Kind of wish I would have picked up the Anser instead.

I found the difference in feel between the TR1966 Anser and Anser 2 to be night and day when I tested them. To me the Anser felt and sounded perfect. The ball comes off the face fairly "hot" with little to no effort. The sound it produces is fairly muted with just a slight metallic ting at impact. I think the Anser may fit someone with a slower paced putting stroke.

The Anser 2 on the other hand felt a bit more "solid" to me. The ball felt a good bit more "dead" coming off the face of the Anser 2, and felt that I had to put a good bit more of speed in my stroke to get it to the hole compared to the Anser. For me the Anser 2 made an almost wooden "thwack" when it struck the ball. The sound was similar to the older Scotty Cameron Newports before the face milling.

These are of course just my opinions, and it could be a totally different experience for someone else.

That's what the sound slot will do for you, in terms of feel. I prefer the looks of the Anser 2, but the feel of the Anser, so adding the sound slot to the 2 offers the best of both world, IMO.

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Ping G425 5W 
Ping G425 19* 3H
Srixon ZX5 4-P 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*, 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2+

Im not going to say its light years above my Anser Milled and honestly the Anser Milled probably feels a little better but I love the bronze color and the nostalgia that goes along with it. Played in a 200 man field this weekend and everyone wanted to take a look as it took the back to better days haha

As I have stated before of I miss its the stroke not the putter, took me a lonnggg time to realize that haha

Callaway Paradym TD 8*/HZRDUS GEN4 Black Limited Edition 60TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

Top lines of the two 1966 TR Ansers...

26431313182_b1cd1a7806_b.jpg

Oh boy! This is not good. I love the look of the Anser. Squat head and thicker top line. Order being placed in 3, 2, 1.....

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid

Ping G 430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Cleveland HB Soft 11S

Ha! I haven't even received mine yet and the honeymoon is almost over. I'm taking degenerate putter ho'ing to the next level. Here's what's gonna happen.....I'll make 3 birdies in my first round because of NPS -- "New Putter Syndrome" and love it. Then within 10 days I'll have a round with 32 putts and wonder why I even considered leaving a much more expensive milled putter with a counterbalanced $40 superstroke on it.

Stealth, TSR2, AP2's, and a JB Versa 

Still love the looks, but my Anser lasted only one round. The feel just wasn't there for me. YMMV.

M3 9.5* - Fujikura 757TR
M5 15* - Fujikura Speeder 8.1
M1 5W - Fujikura Speeder 8.1
P760 3i - KBS $ Taper Black
P730 5-PW - KBS $ Taper Black
Milled Grind 50 & 55 DG TI Onyx
Hi-Toe 60 DG TI Onyx
Spider X Navy

Mine hasn't even made it to the course. Maybe this afternoon. Maybe. Why is the head cover so tiny? PING you have some explaining to do

The head cover really is embarrassing. My wife has a Ping Rhapsody Anser 2 and the head cover is MILES ahead of the TR66. Ping usually puts a great deal of thought into its releases—what happened with this one?

Clubs: Ping G400 Max • Callaway 816 5w • Ping i25 3-W • Ping Rustique 50* & 58* • Betti BB1 Short Slant
Shafts: Aldila Rogue White 60x • PX 8B4 • DGTI x100 • DG s300
Balls: Titleist Pro V1 • Srixon Z Star XV

The neck portion of the headcover fits snugly into the putter well on my PING bag. Maybe that's what they were going for?

WITB<br />PING G400 Max 10.5° Fuji Pro tour spec 73x<br />3i i500 tourspx vts silver 100x, 4i i200, 6, 8, 9, P iBlade Nippon Modus 130x<br />PING Glide 2.0 50ss, 54ss Nippon Modus 130x<br />Byron 007

Mine hasn't even made it to the course. Maybe this afternoon. Maybe. Why is the head cover so tiny? PING you have some explaining to do

The head cover really is embarrassing. My wife has a Ping Rhapsody Anser 2 and the head cover is MILES ahead of the TR66. Ping usually puts a great deal of thought into its releases—what happened with this one?

My guess is that they are using a simple, old-school design so they made a simple headcover. But it doesn't even have the model on it.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

For me, the head over works, as the narrow shaft part fits into my bag nicely..... I carry my clubs so use a carry bag that is of a smaller diameter than cart bags that most Use......

Bent mine a degree flat and the finish on the Anser came off pretty easily. It appears to be a VERY thin coat of bronze on the head.

Like its predecessor lines, the 1966 Anser has a MgBr-colored PVD finish, which is quite fragile. I always used a head cover on my Karsten TR Anser, but simply pulling the head in and out of the cover caused finish wear on the bumpers within a few months.

I am curious to hear how durable the Starshot finish is, in terms of wear and its ability to mask dings, etc.

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Ping G425 5W 
Ping G425 19* 3H
Srixon ZX5 4-P 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*, 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2+

I received mine yesterday. It only took about a week and a half to get to me from the time I ordered it from Morton.

Anser, 35" ,Black Dot. I had it bumped up to 4 degrees of loft because I am a forward presser. This thing just feels so damn good. I can't wait to get her out on the course. I also don't mind the head cover as much as others. I like its simplicity and the longer neck on it. I wish it was about 2 inches longer though. It is a tight fit. I like the bronze finish, but I think I will definitely be sending it to get Starshot in the offseason.

Bio Cell + 5-7
MP 53 4-PW
Edel 58*
Ping TR 1966 Anser

For me, the head over works, as the narrow shaft part fits into my bag nicely..... I carry my clubs so use a carry bag that is of a smaller diameter than cart bags that most Use......

Yes, that's the one positive about the headcover, other than the nice simple design. The neck is narrow so it fits into most bags without getting bunched up, and sometimes even pushed off the head esp since it's velcro, I know I hate when that happens.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach