Bubba Watson on 60 Minutes?

BrianL99

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The other thing that's odd to me is I have family members who have a fear of crowds, and if Bubba is claiming to have this, he must be at low end of that spectrum. And I mean extreme low end.

He does stuff (outside of the golf course) that they wouldn't dream of doing.

I don't know many people with a fear of crowds going to NBA games and taking half court shots.

Good point.

GREAT Point! I have a good friend and fellow Pro who has a phobia of crowds and though he has been in intensive therapy, he will have bouts or periods where he will not leave his house and we would either take his lessons for him or reschedule them. We were partners in a district BB tourney and it was a two day 36 hole tourney and we were T1 going into the second day and the first day we had our caddies, his then GF, Richard and then throughout the round maybe a half dozen people would follow us from a few holes then peel off and walk with someone else and he was fine. On the first tee, round two, there were 17 peeps(Richard counted the #, lol) plus our caddies and Richard(his GF had to work) and he was very tense and Richard asked him if he had any meds that would help and he took two regularly, with one being an anti-anxiety, however he had taken it a few hours earlier and didn't want to take any more. He is a fine Player however he yanked a drive about 245-250ish hard left into the trees and was a mess. I felt so badly and as he had a younger student caddying for him(it was summer) and he asked the boy if he would mind if Richard caddiedfor him "if there was going to be a crowd." I'm not being funny or joking in any way here because it was sad though think of that statement and remember that there were 17 people spread out around a box and we never had more than 8 people following us at any one time. He was miserable and started to hyperventilate on #6 and as much as Richard and I tried to soothe him, he was getting worse, not better. I WD'd at the turn because he would not do it out of concern for me however there was no way I would ever put someone through that. We have tried to get him to go to the Steeler & Pens games with us and a few times we would have been in a box however he couldn't deal with getting to the box and then back to the car. It's so sad because he is such a sweet guy. I have never been judgemental on Bubba and though I met him fleetingly in Fla, it was with a few GFs and he was funny and cute in a boyish way. He was with a friend who was interested in one of my friends and they were both very nice and gentlemanly. I hope that he overcomes his fears and phobias and can enjoy life and all that is around him. Whether you like him or not, he deserves that :) M

I can relate to your friend. One way I was able go to a concert or movie with a crowds was showing up before the crowd go to the venue, and leaving after it had mostly emptied out. If you really want him to go to the game its an option to try.

As an avid WIG (Wisdom in Golf, aka Shawn Clement) follower, I can speak for the many there who are in great admiration on how Bubba swings (a full body turn with just shot shapes in the mind) and seemingly focuses in on a target.

As another person who has a very busy mind when I go outside (I notice and look around too much), I really liked the 60 Minutes piece revealing how he actually is out there in his golfing world. I think his not focusing on swing techniques (never took instruction) was the only way he would not self-destruct in this sport - having that type of brain.

As another lefty out there (but I golf righty :tongue: ), I don't mind joining him in the club of us who are right-minded!

BAG ONE:                                                                                                   BAG TWO:
D - Callaway Rogue ST Max D                                               - Cobra F9 Tour Length  

5 -  Ping G425 Max 5(16.5)                                                    3 -  TEE C721 Pro 3 HL(16.5)

H - Callaway Mav P (18) Titleist TS2 (21)                              H - TM SF 2.0 (18) & (21)

I -  Titleist T300 4                                                                   I -  Taylormade SIM Max 4      
I -  Titleist T100 5-P/MR KK TiNi 105                                     I -  Taylormade P760 5-P/Recoils 110 F4

W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58                                        W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58 
P - Bellum Winmore Midi  787                                                - Guerin TS Black 370

I have some of the same issues as Bubba and have, at different times in my life, sought therapy. I love to play golf but often have quasi-panic attacks driving into the club if the parking lot is full. Sometimes, I will turn around and go home, other times, I play through it. When I am in public, I am very machine like (wife's term,not mine) in walking through crowds. Eyes forward, no eye contact and power walk. It is difficult to explain the feeling to someone who has no basic understanding of what it's like to fear going to the grocery store. What is more difficult is seeing some of the same characteristics in my young daughter.

To say everyone experiences certain phobias or fears in the same way is to say you have no understanding of it. I thought the interview was terrific and insightful to those interested in trying to understand. For others, it will be more proof in their minds, Bubba is an a******. Something I have often been accused of being both personally and professionally.

To say everyone experiences certain phobias or fears in the same way is to say you have no understanding of it. I thought the interview was terrific and insightful to those interested in trying to understand. For others, it will be more proof in their minds, Bubba is an a******.

It's true. I thought the 60 minutes piece was very insightful, unfortunately you'll never open a closed mind. Folks have these preconceived notions and it ends there.

Personally, I've always liked the Bubster!

X________________________________ Sign Here

so for someone who has never seen 60 minutes. those clips were a total of 10 minutes. is that all, or does 60 minutes means, that everything was filmed within 60 minutes?

It an hour long show with several different stories. Bubba's was one of the stories.

The other thing that's odd to me is I have family members who have a fear of crowds, and if Bubba is claiming to have this, he must be at low end of that spectrum. And I mean extreme low end.

I don't know many people with a fear of crowds going to NBA games and taking half court shots.

Good point.

GREAT Point! I have a good friend and fellow Pro who has a phobia of crowds and though he has been in intensive therapy, he will have bouts or periods where he will not leave his house and we would either take his lessons for him or reschedule them. We were partners in a district BB tourney and it was a two day 36 hole tourney and we were T1 going into the second day and the first day we had our caddies, his then GF, Richard and then throughout the round maybe a half dozen people would follow us from a few holes then peel off and walk with someone else and he was fine. On the first tee, round two, there were 17 peeps(Richard counted the #, lol) plus our caddies and Richard(his GF had to work) and he was very tense and Richard asked him if he had any meds that would help and he took two regularly, with one being an anti-anxiety, however he had taken it a few hours earlier and didn't want to take any more. He is a fine Player however he yanked a drive about 245-250ish hard left into the trees and was a mess. I felt so badly and as he had a younger student caddying for him(it was summer) and he asked the boy if he would mind if Richard caddiedfor him "if there was going to be a crowd." I'm not being funny or joking in any way here because it was sad though think of that statement and remember that there were 17 people spread out around a box and we never had more than 8 people following us at any one time. He was miserable and started to hyperventilate on #6 and as much as Richard and I tried to soothe him, he was getting worse, not better. I WD'd at the turn because he would not do it out of concern for me however there was no way I would ever put someone through that. We have tried to get him to go to the Steeler & Pens games with us and a few times we would have been in a box however he couldn't deal with getting to the box and then back to the car. It's so sad because he is such a sweet guy. I have never been judgemental on Bubba and though I met him fleetingly in Fla, it was with a few GFs and he was funny and cute in a boyish way. He was with a friend who was interested in one of my friends and they were both very nice and gentlemanly. I hope that he overcomes his fears and phobias and can enjoy life and all that is around him. Whether you like him or not, he deserves that :) M

I can relate to your friend. One way I was able go to a concert or movie with a crowds was showing up before the crowd go to the venue, and leaving after it had mostly emptied out. If you really want him to go to the game its an option to try.

Bubba has priors for throwing out self dagnosed mental illnesses as an excuse for his behaviour. For someone in such fear being in a crowd, he still feels comfortable enough to rip his caddy for not clubbing him correctly. He also seems to crave alot of attention for someone with anxiety issues. I guess he has to trot out all these issues cause being a jerk isn't a recognised mental condition. Maybe I'm just being an insensitive, cynical pr!ck but I'm not sold on one carefully stage managed 60 minutes story.

Bubba has priors for throwing out self dagnosed mental illnesses as an excuse for his behaviour. For someone in such fear being in a crowd, he still feels comfortable enough to rip his caddy for not clubbing him correctly. He also seems to crave alot of attention for someone with anxiety issues. I guess he has to trot out all these issues cause being a jerk isn't a recognised mental condition. Maybe I'm just being an insensitive, cynical pr!ck but I'm not sold on one carefully stage managed 60 minutes story.

Overall the 60 Minutes piece didn't bother me too much, though I did laugh when Ted Scott said that Bubba snubbed a kid for an autograph because he's afraid of people. Seems like a reach.

He also said a lot of the Bubba hate was due to the caddie incident, but that's certainly not true. His remarks about homosexuals did not go over well, either, nor his behavior overseas.

The piece Shane Ryan did on him was pretty revealing, especially his complete lack of a relationship with other UGA grads.

I can give him a pass on some of the caddie stuff and incidents with the crowd, because I'm sure he has a lot of obnoxious people who follow him around.

That said, when you post goofy videos on the internet claiming you're an everyman, etc., you're going to invite that type of attention.

Love watching him play golf though.

Is there a golf tournament coming up this week that happens to be broadcast on CBS?

How about the stark contrast between US prisons and German prisons? Now that was interesting.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Bubba has issues, but I enjoy watching him play golf, until he starts blaming his caddy for bad shots. I've read & heard that his fellow tour members are not particularly fond of him. I think his wife Angie, and his two adopted children mean more to him than anything in the world.....so, he can't be all bad. :)

Bubba has issues, but I enjoy watching him play golf, until he starts blaming his caddy for bad shots. I've read & heard that his fellow tour members are not particularly fond of him. I think his wife Angie, and his two adopted children mean more to him than anything in the world.....so, he can't be all bad. :)

People who complain about Bubba

Are most likely

10x

More annoying than he is ; )

Not trying to defend Bubba......but......what was not mentioned in the 60 Min. interview was that there is a big difference between being afraid of crowds and being afraid of friendly crowds. If he is anything like me he can be in the middle of a rock concert surrounded by people and it only bothers him a little. But go to church with 20 or 30 people who are trying to be nice to you and talk.......freaks me out. I can't describe it, but for me, being a stranger in a crowd of people is OK, but being in a crowd of people who are going out of there way to be nice to you is a completely phobic experience. One on one I am ok. More than that freaks me out.

Good point.

I'm pretty much in your camp. He strikes me as a guy who fits well into the General Lee he owns

This is still on of my favorite Bubba moments!!

[media=]

[/media]

And then he nuts the approach while walking through his follow through. Lots of guys get pissed and can't shake it off. Few guys play better when they get mad. John McEnroe was one of the few guys that could feed off his own anger. I don't know if he tends to play better when annoyed but it was kind of cool to see him that good of a shot while fuming over Elkington. I heard Elkington isn't one of the nicer guys on tour.

I think the majority of people seem to agree that he has some form of phobia, disorder, or possibly multiple issues.

Before I was born, when my mom was in her early 20's, she was diagnosed with agoraphobia. Treatments have certainly improved since then and she is much better than she was. They tried everything. She had been hospitalized multiple times and, though I am too young to remember, she had also been suicidal. This wasn't a gradual thing. It hit her like a brick out of nowhere and she has battled it for over 50 years. I had to learn to drive at 11 years old to handle any "situations" that might occur. As a young kid, I remember thinking "what's the big deal. Just knock it off." Well, as I have gotten older, I have had some similar albeit milder issues and now can relate to what she went through. If you haven't been close to it, it is hard to fathom that this can exist. Just doesn't make sense, but that what makes it so debilitating. You know it's not rational but you can't control it. It's very difficult to know something is irrational yet still fear it.

With that in mind, I just hope people who haven't experienced it firsthand would realize that there are some things you can't understand but are very real to the person affected. It takes compassion. They can play commercials late night with a dog that's been abused and we can get worked to tears. Mention somebody has a mental illness and the reaction is to get over it. Suck it up and play. You make a lot of money. It's much more complicated than that.

It seems like a number of people who have posted have various fears or phobias as well. They can appreciate my next statement. The fear of the fear is maybe the worst part. The anticipation of a situation that will cause an "attack" is perhaps one of the hardest things to deal with. And believe me, attack is the right word for it.

Really interesting interview. I absolutely love watching him play, but been indifferent about the man. He comes across badly, but it stems from fear, definitely like him a lot more watching this. Not many people I'd rather watch hit balls either. I find watching him very inspiring, makes me want to go to the range and just play around and try and hit shots, remove the expectations, have fun and just see what's possible.

Not trying to defend Bubba......but......what was not mentioned in the 60 Min. interview was that there is a big difference between being afraid of crowds and being afraid of friendly crowds. If he is anything like me he can be in the middle of a rock concert surrounded by people and it only bothers him a little. But go to church with 20 or 30 people who are trying to be nice to you and talk.......freaks me out. I can't describe it, but for me, being a stranger in a crowd of people is OK, but being in a crowd of people who are going out of there way to be nice to you is a completely phobic experience. One on one I am ok. More than that freaks me out.

Perfect analogy! I started at point guard on the varsity basketball team as a freshman. The crowds for away games never bothered me to a point of not being able to play. The home crowds made me vomit and want to quit basketball, which I did following that season and never played high school sports again.

Is Bubba loved in the US? Seems a hard bloke to warm to IMO. He is different - just not a good different.

No.

It's too bad because I've met him on several occasions and I always thought he was a very nice and a cool guy. I'm a little surprised to hear him say he has these phobias from when I've dealt with him.

On the course he seems to be a different animal, but playing highly competitive golf and expecting people to act perfectly rational shouldn't go together. From my experience, Bubba is like most Tour players....respect their time and their space and they'll be very gracious and nice to you.

RH