Titleist 680 MB

Kye123

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite a few of pro's using 680 mb's? Would this bother Titleist and is it because of personal preference and feel or any other reason?

Interested to know as well. Just going off the thought that "newer blade tech" would be more forgiving (to small point). But there does to seem to be a few guys opting for this older set of blades. Maybe it's the sole grind, but I figure they could hand ground a current MB sole to a players liking. So with that I'm curious as well.

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

Adam Scott is the first to come to mind when I think of the 680MB's.

If you look closely at 716MB's, in my opinion they were designed based on the successful 680's.

Adam, along with others, are probably just well informed enough to know that when it comes to pure blades, there isn't much "product development" to be done. I mean it's a blade, there is no face slots, cavity design, etc.

Titleist could offer them a healthy bonus to put these in play, much like Taylormade could offer DJ a healthy bonus to play the new P750's. But that amount they're willing to pay probably pales in comparison to a couple of tournament victories w/ the clubs you know.

I looked real hard at a set pre xmas for sale but there was no PW.

Will keep looking !! They look great and i really regret selling my 681;s 5 years ago....

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

Best Titleist blade ever imo.

Webb Simpson uses them as well. Not a coincidence both he and AS were ranked top 10 in iron category last year.

The newer Titleist blades don't feel as soft/buttery. They are great clubs, pure blades but don't have the feel of the 680's.

Correlation doesn't imply causation, as they say. Perhaps Adam and Webb are great iron players to begin with, and that enables them to confidently play blades. I wouldn't hand the victory to the arrow so easily.

I played the 680's years ago and a friend of mine has been playing a set for about 10 years. I remember researching this same scenario re the 680's back then as I believe DLlll was playing them. From what I remember, the 680's have the 'tallest' muscle portion of the Titleist blades creating the highest cg producing a lower ball flight and greater workability.

As Bomber said, "a blade's a blade" from a design standpoint but in a Player's mind there is a certain image/picture of that iron and while any of these guys could basically grab any blade(or iron FTM) and adapt, when they find an iron that suits their eye and feel perfectly, why change? No matter how close a newer designed iron might be to the 680's, why Play it when you could Play the "real" 680? As a former Titleist Staffer, the 680's were my and are my all-time favorite Titleist iron and while I do love the original Nike VRs, I will be going back to Titleist and the 680's will be going back in my bag. I have 2 shafted sets and 4 sets of heads so I'm set for the next 12 years(I Play a set for two seasons). Scotty nailed the design aspect of the 680's. Have a nice day guys :) Madison

don't forget the wooden dowel in the hosel of the original 680s, for vibration dampening.

Def best looking clubs/irons ever - well, till the Cobra King Pro irons came out. The black heads are flawless.

I thought the wooden dowel was in the 681 irons. Perhaps the 680 as well. Both were and still are great sets of irons for those with the game to play them.

Best Titleist blade ever imo.

Webb Simpson uses them as well. Not a coincidence both he and AS were ranked top 10 in iron category last year.

The newer Titleist blades don't feel as soft/buttery. They are great clubs, pure blades but don't have the feel of the 680's.

This x 10. When I was growing up, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference in feel between the Titleist and Mizuno forgings. They're definitely a different feel in the modern offerings and Mizuno has retained that soft feel. The 680's were every bit as good as any of the Mizuno's for feel and I think that's the biggest difference.

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65-6
Titleist TSi3 15º - LAGP TourAxs Blue 
Mizuno Pro 225 2i - C-TaperL
Mizuno Pro 245  5-GW C-Taper 
Mizuno T22  52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

Scott Piercy another 680 guy.

He just switched to the 716 mb. Another great ball striker.

Impossible to tell under about 3 lbs of lead tape, but I think you're right he did switch recently

He just had another set of 680s built today lol.

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

As Bomber said, "a blade's a blade" from a design standpoint but in a Player's mind there is a certain image/picture of that iron and while any of these guys could basically grab any blade(or iron FTM) and adapt, when they find an iron that suits their eye and feel perfectly, why change? No matter how close a newer designed iron might be to the 680's, why Play it when you could Play the "real" 680? As a former Titleist Staffer, the 680's were my and are my all-time favorite Titleist iron and while I do love the original Nike VRs, I will be going back to Titleist and the 680's will be going back in my bag. I have 2 shafted sets and 4 sets of heads so I'm set for the next 12 years(I Play a set for two seasons). Scotty nailed the design aspect of the 680's. Have a nice day guys :) Madison

If you need to get rid of a set of those heads I'm willing to take them on!!

Agree with everyone saying how great they are. I had a set a date unfortunately they were stolen.

the answer is mostly because they just work.... they are a bit shorter and thinner than the 716MB in the blade length and sole .... and feel is just better.. why ? i do not know... i own a set of early 680 prototypes ( no 680 stamp with hand stamped tiny MJ on hosel ) played on tour by Matt Jones ..... and they are low offset and beefier in the muscle section than the retail 680 or the 716.... I wonder if the 680 bends offset out easier than the 716? if so that could be a reason ( retail 680 short irons have a good bit of offset) ..... maybe just they prefer the thinner sole... i certainly agree with them if thats it... they cut through the turf so nice.... and its also lilely they are just like us and know the cool factor is upped by 10 over the 716... lol

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Adam Scott is the first to come to mind when I think of the 680MB's.

If you look closely at 716MB's, in my opinion they were designed based on the successful 680's.

Adam, along with others, are probably just well informed enough to know that when it comes to pure blades, there isn't much "product development" to be done. I mean it's a blade, there is no face slots, cavity design, etc.

Titleist could offer them a healthy bonus to put these in play, much like Taylormade could offer DJ a healthy bonus to play the new P750's. But that amount they're willing to pay probably pales in comparison to a couple of tournament victories w/ the clubs you know.

Not arguing your point but if there is no difference then why would they not switch?

PXG 0311 7.5* (set to 6.75*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana DF 70TX Tipped 0.75" @ 45.25"

TM Original One Mini Driver 13* (set at 11.5*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana BF 80TX Tipped 1.5" @ 43"
Srixon U45 18* w/ N.S. Pro Modus3 GOST Tour X @ 39.5"
Callaway UW 21* w/ Aldila VS Proto 95X Tipped 1.75" @ 41" / Srixon U45 23* w/ Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour X @ 38.5"

Cobra KING Tour with MIM w/ PX LS 7.0 5-PW / Srixon Z745 5-PW w/ DG TI X7's (PW Tipped 1/4")
Mizuno T22 Denim Copper 50*, 55* & 60* w/ PX LS 7.0 Tipped 3/8" D2, D3 & D5

Putter: Evnroll ER2v

Miss Madison you have impeccable taste ! ( dont tell Richard i said so though ....it may/will go to his head ! )

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

• 1 month later...

680 = butter

716 MB = Margarine

[b]Callaway [/b]GBB Epic SZ 9° MRC KK Dual Core Silver Proto 60 TS
[b]Titleist[/b] 915F 15° Aldila Rogue 70X
[b]Titleist [/b]712U 3i KBS C-Taper Lite 115x
[b]Mizuno[/b] MP5 (4-9) KBS C-Taper Lite 115x
[b]Vokey[/b] SM6 48° 52° (F) 56° (M) 60° (L) DG Tour Issue s400
[b]Scotty Cameron[/b] Studio Design 3.5 34"
[b]Kirkland[/b] Signature[b], Titleist[/b] Pro V1 and [b]Srixon[/b] Z Star

• 2 weeks later...

This and other recent threads gave me pause as the best set of irons I've ever struck were 680's. So consistent with them, and such an honest club. Soooo... I walk into our local store tonight and sitting pretty on the rack was a new set of 680 forged 3-P at a not new iron set price. Serial on the 6 only so stock standard with S300 shafts and fresh Titleist V580 cord grips. If I were to order them that is exactly what I'd get. I'm vanilla when it comes to Titleist iron specs, standard suits me.

Went straight to them, going through the set at address and realized no fighting the truth. For me they are the benchmark of irons, now in the bag for my first round of the year tomorrow. No nonsense pureness awaits.

My bag is set..spent way too much time chasing exactly what the 680's provide.

So thanks all for setting me straight. What a long strange trip it's been.

This and other recent threads gave me pause as the best set of irons I've ever struck were 680's. So consistent with them, and such an honest club. Soooo... I walk into our local store tonight and sitting pretty on the rack was a new set of 680 forged 3-P at a not new iron set price. Serial on the 6 only so stock standard with S300 shafts and fresh Titleist V580 cord grips. If I were to order them that is exactly what I'd get. I'm vanilla when it comes to Titleist iron specs, standard suits me.

Went straight to them, going through the set at address and realized no fighting the truth. For me they are the benchmark of irons, now in the bag for my first round of the year tomorrow. No nonsense pureness awaits.

Wow what a nice and exceedingly rare pickup ! I myself have been away from my 680 proto set and have realized they are the best iron I've ever owned. That's over some pretty rare and pricey irons. Good luck with them , I'm sure they will treat you right !

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Wow what a nice and exceedingly rare pickup ! I myself have been away from my 680 proto set and have realized they are the best iron I've ever owned. That's over some pretty rare and pricey irons. Good luck with them , I'm sure they will treat you right !

Thanks for that, pure dumb luck and coincidence conspired to present them to me. Very stoked to play with them again, lesson learned.