Mickelson hitting putt while ball was still moving?

Bomber_11

It is not about the rules. Instead of whining about the course (which only lasts a day) Phil made his mark and wrote history. Thanks and well done Sir!

Semper fi and you're the man.. dude, or whatever other BS you yell over there.

Ping G410+ Tensei Orange Pro.

Mizuno GT180 shaft as above.

Adams 3H  Aldila Blue.

Wilson FG100 4i-PW.

Wilson PMP 52/56/60

Putters....too many.

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amy Mickelson.... "You know it's not his finest moment, but hopefully he'll learn from it. Like anybody, good people make mistakes. We all have a moment in life sometimes and that was kind of a moment I think for him.".

PING G425 Max       10.5* Tensei  AV Blue 60 gram X flex
PING G425 Max       16.5* TD AD TP 80 gram X flex
PING G425 19*         Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex

PING G425 22*         Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex

PING i230                  5-PW     w/ PX LZ 6.0 Black out shafts (+ 1/4”)
Titleist SM 9 raw        50*/54*/58* PX LZ 6.0  Black out shaft (+ 1/4”)

Odyssey                     AI One  Seven CH

BULLPEN

TM Rossi   M-21 Reserve and Odyssey Tri Hot      5k Seven CH   

In my opinion, he should have just said he was in a bad mood and tired of dealing with the conditions rather than going with 'it makes sense strategically not to let the ball run off the green'.

I think most golfers could relate to the bad mood. Even he wasn't sure what his score was so no one buys the strategic excuse.

A WD was the only option after that decision. Again, my opinion.

Imagine if you were in a tournament and one of your opponents did that while you watched. You would call BS on it. I guarantee it.

And as far as using the rules....who doesnt? When a rule has different options...dont you take the one that is most advantageous? That is using the rules. When Tiger moved a boulder....was that really in the spirit of the loose impediment rule?

I do enjoy how worked up people get on these topics. I wish I was as righteous as some people on the web...lol.

I find it amusing that those who criticize others for getting worked up, are themselves sufficiently worked up to bother replying on a public forum. Especially on a subject like the rules of golf which they clearly have no interest in!

Your right...I lost sleep over phils actions. I tried calling into the golf channel to report him for the infraction but the line was busy...probably from the other dbags trying to do the noble thing.

the dude has been accused of insider trading. who is surprised he is trying to manipulate the rule book to justify his actions?

Now do tiger and his "cough" illegal outside golf activities....

The only problem I have with what he did is the trickle down affect of who is going to try and do something silly to gain an advantage? ie. high school kids.

Phil is Phil and part of what he did on Saturday is why people love him. He does what he wants, he says what he wants and he doesn't seem to care what people think or say. And the way he celebrated on 13 on Sunday made it even better. Like the announcer said, he celebrated like he won, it was as awesome as it was childish. But that is his way of putting the little cherry on top to the USGA after Saturday.

the dude has been accused of insider trading. who is surprised he is trying to manipulate the rule book to justify his actions?

The only problem I have with what he did is the trickle down affect of who is going to try and do something silly to gain an advantage? ie. high school kids.

Phil is Phil and part of what he did on Saturday is why people love him. He does what he wants, he says what he wants and he doesn't seem to care what people think or say. And the way he celebrated on 13 on Sunday made it even better. Like the announcer said, he celebrated like he won, it was as awesome as it was childish. But that is his way of putting the little cherry on top to the USGA after Saturday.

The heat isn't as bad for Phil because as you say he's Phil. If Reed, Poulter or Tiger did this, the posts here would be completely different.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Phil made himself out to be a $hithead. He looked like the biggest jack@ss, the moron club member, who loses it and everybody laughs at behind their back.

His most ardent fans know it.

He would say the same, I think. His wife had to come out and defend him.

But, he has some stock to burn, no pun intended, so, we can let it go.

Amy Mickelson.... "You know it's not his finest moment, but hopefully he'll learn from it. Like anybody, good people make mistakes. We all have a moment in life sometimes and that was kind of a moment I think for him.".

she had nothing to apologize for. he made a rules violation and recorded the appropriate penalty.

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT Axiom 105

PXG GEN4 T 4 - PW DG120 X100

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

she had nothing to apologize for. he made a rules violation and recorded the appropriate penalty.

JD, do we need to see this again?

Total embarrasment. The cackling and groans. Its sad.

Phil phans just need to take their lumps here.

[media=]

[/media]

I'm no fan, but it looks like the perfect response to the usga, a thumb in the eye. They did relent and drench the greens for Sunday.

Oh, the humanity. What will happen to the children?

[media=]

[/media]

I'm no fan, but it looks like the perfect response to the usga, a thumb in the eye. They did relent and drench the greens for Sunday.

Yeah,

Guy with zero US Opens running around like a clown, thatll show them. His thumb went somewhere, but not in "the eye" ; )

Meantime, Brooks won his second.

Cmon, now. Phil was a sideshow while guys were playing golf.

The rule has been in existence for quite some time with no one to my knowledge intentionally violating it except for John Daly. I agree the rule isn't explicit enough to cover all potential abuses of it but not many rules of golf are. The rules of golf provide for the instance where a ball is deflected by a fellow competitor in rules 19-1 and 1-2 but you don't see guys intentionally deflect a 30' putt that's about to go in the hole from a fellow competitor even though the rules specify the situation and penalty.

IMO, golf is supposed to be play with a certain amount of integrity and the rules were written in a manner that assumes that integrity is present. When a guy like Phil does what he did, he erodes the level of integrity from the game and encourages others to do the same. Again I'm a big Phil fan but I'm disappointed with how he handled this situation.

Nah.... Have you ever been to a muni on a Saturday? Have you ever been at a private club where guys are sandbaggers and cheat their handicaps to make a buck? Phil did nothing wrong.

You can't compare weekend hacks at a muni or the 2% of actual sandbaggers in private clubs to the optics of what Phil did during a Major. A virtual Pandora's box has been opened where some golfers will feel empowered to use rules to their benefit that were not intended to be used in that way.

Wow. Or reality Is nothing will happen. Like when tiger dropped in the wrong spot at Augusta and wasn’t DQed. Or when Patrick Reed pulled a Gary player and addressed his 3 wood twelve times in the rough before switching to an iron to gain a little better look at the ball. Nothing. And those are 3 of my favorite players. So no hate here for either.

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Titleist MB 3-pw modus 130x 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Mr. Nicklaus and Mr. Palmer would have never have done this because they had respect for the game. They would have taken what they got and then handled any discussion in private with class and dignity. Phil showed none of these. I am disappointed in the pro that i have pulled for since I started to play golf when he was coming out of college. He is not better than the game and to disrespect the game more with his antics on Sunday and not having the balls to WD shows his true character.

Mr. Nicklaus and Mr. Palmer would have never have done this because they had respect for the game. They would have taken what they got and then handled any discussion in private with class and dignity. Phil showed none of these. I am disappointed in the pro that i have pulled for since I started to play golf when he was coming out of college. He is not better than the game and to disrespect the game more with his antics on Sunday and not having the balls to WD shows his true character.

He made par on a hole where he carded a 10 the day before and basically made fun of himself. Yeah, shocking display. No reason to withdraw after taking the appropriate penalty.

That train left the station with the USGAs course set up and browns (not greens) they created. No respect for the usga.

That train left the station with the USGAs course set up and browns (not greens) they created. No respect for the usga.

Not to divert the conversation but what was the story with all the brown patches on the greens??

Not to divert the conversation but what was the story with all the brown patches on the greens??

That's what happens when you use a flamethrower to set up greens.

A lot of people are saying that Mickelson should have been disqualified under Rule 1-2. However, read exception 1 of rule1-2:

“An action expressly permitted or prohibited by another rule is subject to that other rule, not Rule 1-2. Since Phil made a stroke on the moving ball, his infraction is governed by Rule 14-5, as stipulated by the Rule 1-2 exception. Therefore, based upon the Rules of Golf, those who argued for Phil’s disqualification have no evidentiary basis by which to make this argument. It basically comes down to another example of our current thin-skinned, getting offended by every little thing society. The media is just as bad as the general public in this area. To those who have spouted their venom at Phil and the USGA over this issue: toughen up; Mickelson was correctly penalized for his actions under the Rules of Golf. No other argument is valid as it pertains to the sport.

A lot of people are saying that Mickelson should have been disqualified under Rule 1-2. However, read exception 1 of rule1-2:

"An action expressly permitted or prohibited by another rule is subject to that other rule, not Rule 1-2. Since Phil made a stroke on the moving ball, his infraction is governed by Rule 14-5, as stipulated by the Rule 1-2 exception. Therefore, based upon the Rules of Golf, those who argued for Phil's disqualification have no evidentiary basis by which to make this argument. It basically comes down to another example of our current thin-skinned, getting offended by every little thing society. The media is just as bad as the general public in this area. To those who have spouted their venom at Phil and the USGA over this issue: toughen up; Mickelson was correctly penalized for his actions under the Rules of Golf. No other argument is valid as it pertains to the sport.

100% correct and best worded post here.

and welcome.. outstanding 1st post !!!

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Titleist MB 3-pw modus 130x 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Sorry but those two golfer’s day has passed. This is the gane of today.

I will say it one more time. Phil played what he believed was the best move based on the rules as he understood them and the penalty that followed. Nothing at all wrong with that. I don’t expect any player to concede or give a “gentleman's” action. Get a grip everyone, this is pro sports.

But it is clear to me the rules need tweaking, namely simplification. We can’t even agree what rule he broke. Too much room for judgement in the rules and they can be applied to fit different situations. That needs fixing.