Mickelson hitting putt while ball was still moving?

Bomber_11

So, no: you don't have a quote where he ever "admit[ted] he used the rules to post a lower score".

He made the comment about the ball going behind the bunker after he was specifically asked if he knew were the ball would end up. He never says that his motivation was to post a lower score. In fact, he says:

"I don't know if I would've been able to save the shot or whatnot, but I know it's a two-shot penalty hitting a moving ball. I tried to hit it as close to the hole as I could to make the next one, and you know, you take the two shots and you move on."

So, according to Phil, he didn't know whether it would be better or worse for his score.

He never said his motivation was to produce a lower score. He clearly said, repeatedly, that his motive was to "end the display".

His fellow competitor, Beef stated that immediately after Phil stated he did not know what the penalty was and did not care.

Phil likes to show how wise he is after the fact.

Whether he knew what the penalty was or not, he never explicitly said anything (what Beef reported and in his interview) that indicated he did what he did to get a lower score/save strokes.

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn’t read through all of these, but surprised there were no comment on Phil’s lying during the post round press conference.

According to Beef Johnson, when exiting the 13th green, Phil didn’t have a clue what the penalty was or what the result would be. He was just frustrated and boiled over in the heat of the moment.

Then Phil concocted this phony “I knew what I was doing story”. What an @ss. He truly is a Billy Walters clone. Phony.

People can’t see the forest thru the trees. Their love for Phil blinds them on how bad this looked at our National Championship.

Phil nuked that putt- then had a mini-stroke and ran up to slap it back. He then lies that he took advantage of the rules, but if he really knew the rules he would have let the ball roll out and call it an unplayable and he would have only been assessed a 1 stroke penalty and he could place his ball within 2 club lengths of its original position.

THAT IS USING THE RULES.

It was a terrible look and everyone who isn’t a Philly Fantatic gasped in horror. Oh and by the way, if Tiger would have done that 95% of the defenders would have called him a cheater. Fan is short for fanatic.

I like Phil, I like him a lot, but that was embarrassing for Golf.

Amy Mickelson said that Phil offered to withdraw when talking to Mike Davis https://golfweek.com/2018/06/17/amy-mickelson-phil-mickelson-offered-to-withdraw-from-u-s-open-after-incident/

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Amy Mickelson said that Phil offered to withdraw when talking to Mike Davis https://golfweek.com...after-incident/

Phil being Phil. He could have withdrawn if he wanted to. Or thought it was the right thing to do. He admitted that he should have withdrawn but didn't. Tells you all you need to know about FIGJAM.

Didn’t read through all of these, but surprised there were no comment on Phil’s lying during the post round press conference.

According to Beef Johnson, when exiting the 13th green, Phil didn’t have a clue what the penalty was or what the result would be. He was just frustrated and boiled over in the heat of the moment.

Then Phil concocted this phony “I knew what I was doing story”. What an @ss. He truly is a Billy Walters clone. Phony.

People can’t see the forest thru the trees. Their love for Phil blinds them on how bad this looked at our National Championship.

Phil nuked that putt- then had a mini-stroke and ran up to slap it back. He then lies that he took advantage of the rules, but if he really knew the rules he would have let the ball roll out and call it an unplayable and he would have only been assessed a 1 stroke penalty and he could place his ball within 2 club lengths of its original position.

THAT IS USING THE RULES.

It was a terrible look and everyone who isn’t a Philly Fantatic gasped in horror. Oh and by the way, if Tiger would have done that 95% of the defenders would have called him a cheater. Fan is short for fanatic.

Incorrect the rule is as follows

Your three options include going back to the point where you played your previous stroke, taking a drop within two club lengths of your unplayable lie, or moving straight back anywhere along an extension of a line between the flagstick and where your ball originally came to rest.

I don't understand what the big deal is and why it is an embarrassment for golf?

He incurred a penalty and accepted it.

He was nowhere near the lead and was not going to affect the outcome of the tournament.

He did not try to hide it and cheat like a certain female golfer who accidentally on purpose replace a marked ball in a different spot.

Or how about allowing a situation where a horde of spectators can move a boulder out of the way to allow for a shot the would otherwise not be playable.

The USGA does a good enough job of embarrassing golf.

Didn't read through all of these, but surprised there were no comment on Phil's lying during the post round press conference.

According to Beef Johnson, when exiting the 13th green, Phil didn't have a clue what the penalty was or what the result would be. He was just frustrated and boiled over in the heat of the moment.

Then Phil concocted this phony "I knew what I was doing story". What an @ss. He truly is a Billy Walters clone. Phony.

People can't see the forest thru the trees. Their love for Phil blinds them on how bad this looked at our National Championship.

THAT IS USING THE RULES.

It was a terrible look and everyone who isn't a Philly Fantatic gasped in horror. Oh and by the way, if Tiger would have done that 95% of the defenders would have called him a cheater. Fan is short for fanatic.

I don't like Phil, and never have.......I did not gasp in horror so you have at least one thing wrong......"Embarrassing for golf"? Just what is this "golf" that is embarrassed" What is actually embarrassing are people who cannot discuss anything golf related without dragging Tiger into it.

I was/am a huge fan of Phil (us lefties need to stick together) but this will tarnish a pretty great career and will do little to influence how the USGA sets up courses in the future. If his message was to send a message to the USGA he would have been best served by letting the ball roll down the hill, picking it up and withdrawing from the tournament. In post round interviews he could discuss his reasoning and put pressure on Mike Davis and the USGA for how poorly they handled the course setup on Saturday. There is nothing positive to the way he handled this and as a fan it's really disappointing.

I also agree with others, the fallout would have been 1000x worse if Tiger did this instead of Phil.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

i dont think theres any fallout coming.. he will take a month off and todays pea brained 3 minute attention span facebook folks will be onto the next social injustice that melts their sensibilities

Blade, while I agree with you that our collective attention span is far too short, I have a question for you. You're good with social injustices? Or is it we haven't come upon one that impacts you?

Nice try. I’m not aboot to carry this onto politics or other social media drama .

Let’s just leave it at this. I’ve experienced more injustice in this world than most could stomach the thought of. I’ve beat it back thus far and will continue to do so. With work and determination. I’ve taken something I saw as horrid and wrong. And I’ve fought the system for the right to help the situation. And Ive succeeded In the short term and yet struggle everyday to keep that success alive. Yet I’m not on Facebook complaining or signing a petition about it. I just took what was in front of me and fixed it. If evey one did so instead of all this false outrage and talk , the world would be in much better shape.

Back around to the point. Phil casting light on a poorly written rule , or loophole isn’t even top 100 on my list of give a craps. Not in the way that some folks feel personally offended. It’s those who you should ask that question to , not me. I know Of social injustice. Folks who are melting over phil obviously do not.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Amy Mickelson said that Phil offered to withdraw when talking to Mike Davis https://golfweek.com...after-incident/

Phil being Phil. He could have withdrawn if he wanted to. Or thought it was the right thing to do. He admitted that he should have withdrawn but didn't. Tells you all you need to know about FIGJAM.

Exactly. We learned more about FIGJAM’s character in 24 hours than in the previous 3 decades.

Cheating is 100x worse than what Phil did. He lost his mind for a second and his post round comments were born from embarrassment. I've played golf my entire life, I'm serious about etiquette, and I still didn't have a problem with it. It was funny, frankly. I think throwing clubs or spitting in the cup are far more disgraceful and classless than what Phil did. And withdrawing and hiding, honestly, would have been the easier route for him to take to avoid further embarrassment. I am not a Phil fan by the way. Just a golf fan.

Phil "toughen up" Mickelson is the same player who earlier in the tournament, while setting up to hit his ball that was not visible in the tall rough, asked an official: "Isn't there some rule that says I have to be able to see my ball in order to hit it?"

TaylorMade Stealth 2 12° - Ventus Velo Blue 5R2

PING G425 Max 5-Wood (@16.5°) / 7-Wood (@19.5°) - Ventus Velo Red 5R2

Callaway Paradym Super Hybrid 21° / 24° - AD HY 65R

Mizuno MP245 6-GW - AD 75R SSx1

TaylorMade MG4 52.08 - AD 75S (8i) / 56.12TW - AD 75S (9i)

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 WH

Titleist ProV1x

The best thing phil can do is donate his winnings for the tournament.

It's the only way to save face.

He should buy like 1000 bagels and serve them up outside grand central tomorrow. Ill be walking by and hungry, he should stand on the roof of a taxi and hit one with a sand wedge to me.

Then, he save face, I say.

Didn't read through all of these, but surprised there were no comment on Phil's lying during the post round press conference.

According to Beef Johnson, when exiting the 13th green, Phil didn't have a clue what the penalty was or what the result would be. He was just frustrated and boiled over in the heat of the moment.

Then Phil concocted this phony "I knew what I was doing story". What an @ss. He truly is a Billy Walters clone. Phony.

People can't see the forest thru the trees. Their love for Phil blinds them on how bad this looked at our National Championship.

THAT IS USING THE RULES.

It was a terrible look and everyone who isn't a Philly Fantatic gasped in horror. Oh and by the way, if Tiger would have done that 95% of the defenders would have called him a cheater. Fan is short for fanatic.

I've heard the "unplayable lie" option in regards to this situation quite a bit; even Mike Davis mentioned it. Could you or someone please explain to me how one can take an unplayable lie if the ball is actually playable, which Phil's ball would have obviously been? I'm not a rules aficionado. Thanks

Cobra Speedzone Camo Edition w/ GD Tour AD DI
Cobra F6 Baffler 16.5* w/Diamana Blueboard 63
Mizuno MP 20 HMB 3-PW w/ DG 105

Mizuno S18 50*/55* 

PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 60* ES 
PING Cadence TR Ketsch Mid

This is why people love Mickleson and Daly, they're the most relatable for American males.

Fat and out of shape..weekend hacker demeanor.

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

Lol @ biggest non-story ever. Guy took the mandatory 2-stroke penalty and moved on. That's the only penalty that applies...everything else is just wasting time.

People are getting way carried away on this....I think it was Mark Brooks on internet cast predicted this will trigger a wave of other guys doing it and they'll have to change the rule to DQ. Lol seriously?

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

Phil gives 0 fux about this right now, proof of his hands raised triumphant par today, all smiles.

The dude is a modern golf legend, he doesn't give an f if some lame british guy calls him an a$s on TV. He's Phil. Golf fans worship him.

He will lose fans over this plain and simple.

I doubt it, he will gain the same amount of fans he loses. It showed he was human. Show me a golfer who hasn't done that or dropped F bombs every other word when they are pissed. No one talks about Sergio spitting in cup, or Tigers DUI anymore. I thought it was pretty damn funny, not a huge Phil fan but if anything I like him a little more. The guys I like less are the bitches on twitter tweeting crap.Bowditch breaks 80 about half the time and has audacity to chime in. STFU, and work on your game.

Phil gives 0 fux about this right now, proof of his hands raised triumphant par today, all smiles.

The dude is a modern golf legend, he doesn't give an f if some lame british guy calls him an a$s on TV. He's Phil. Golf fans worship him.

He will lose fans over this plain and simple.

I doubt it, he will gain the same amount of fans he loses. It showed he was human. Show me a golfer who hasn't done that or dropped F bombs every other word when they are pissed. No one talks about Sergio spitting in cup, or Tigers DUI anymore. I thought it was pretty damn funny, not a huge Phil fan but if anything I like him a little more. The guys I like less are the bitches on twitter tweeting crap.Bowditch breaks 80 about half the time and has audacity to chime in. STFU, and work on your game.

Ill preface it by saying Ive always been a huge Phil fan for years in this forum and GEA heard all the FIGJAM comments and dismissed them. He seemed to want to be the next Palmer. Has carefully crafted his squeaky clean image for many years. In 2014 makes a statement after RC and gets changes made. I cant not think this wasnt a statement somehow to USGA and that its not the last we'll hear from him on this. For as allegedly smart he is he had to know his image would take a hit especially after insider trading case.

I've heard the "unplayable lie" option in regards to this situation quite a bit; even Mike Davis mentioned it. Could you or someone please explain to me how one can take an unplayable lie if the ball is actually playable, which Phil's ball would have obviously been? I'm not a rules aficionado. Thanks

Hey Sheepdog!

My understanding is that whether a ball is playable or unplayable is solely at the discretion of the player at all times. That is, the golfer can decide at any time, in any situation on the course, that his ball is "unplayable" and then proceed under the relevant rule. He does not have to justify his decision to anyone - not even his wife!

FIGJAM has invented a new way to play Augusta, and holes like the 15th when you go long.

The guy lost his mind twice, his second and admittedly larger mistake was trying to position it with the media as legitimate.

If an am or a rookie had done the exact same thing 1) they'd have been DQ'd and 2) persecuted by the media.

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

he outsmarted himself in the media tent and with c strange - just say you lost your mind for a brief moment and move on........i never considered it cheating because he knew he would be enforced the penalty - breaking the rules? of course.

Adams Speedline Launch Lab 9.5*, Adams 9064LS 9.5*, TM Jetspeed 10.5*, PING G20 9.5*
TM Jetspeed 3HL, PING G20 16.5*, TM Jetspeed 5HL 
Ping I3+ Blades 3-LW
Callaway Raxr X Tour- #2, 3 & 4 hybrids
Callaway I-Trax, Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide

So, if you have a downhill putt that passes the hole and threatens to roll into a pond (15 at Augusta) you simply go after your putt, wait till it passes the hole, then kick it back in, accept the two stroke penalty and move on, just because you think the setup of the green sucks? Cmon! The action itself was dumb, his blah blah why he did it was even dumber. Time not to call him FIGJAM anymore, but FIFOMBAR (F**k I'm Full Of Myself But Always Right).