Mickelson hitting putt while ball was still moving?

Bomber_11

So, if you have a downhill putt that passes the hole and threatens to roll into a pond (15 at Augusta) you simply go after your putt, wait till it passes the hole, then kick it back in, accept the two stroke penalty and move on, just because you think the setup of the green sucks? Cmon! The action itself was dumb, his blah blah why he did it was even dumber. Time not to call him FIGJAM anymore, but FIFOMBAR (F**k I'm Full Of Myself But Always Right).

Ill bite. lets say the ball goes in the hazard, He would have had the option of placing his ball back on the green and putt again with a 1 stroke penalty.

On Saturday he got a 2 stroke penalty.

The pond on 15 at Augusta is yellow staked I believe. Which means you'd have to go back to the other side of it ... or re-putt

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Cally AI Smoke 3w 17* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here's what is weird on Phil's part, and it's also been said

He clearly had a "F this course set up" or "F the USGA" moment and lost common sense for a second or two. This is what he should have said post round .. "I was frustrated, some of the pins were silly and I wanted to get off the golf course as my game was off form."

Instead he gets someone in PR to tell him to spin it into "I was using the rules to my advantage." WTF Phil? Beef and the standard bearer both said he had no idea why he did that and no idea what his score would be.

The PR person clearly didn't want him on the wrong side of the USGA as the US Open is his last leg for the career Grand Slam. If he can't do it at Pebble Beach next year his odds will drop dramatically I feel

History has shown when you screw up the best course is to admit it honestly and move on ...

I like the guy but that behaviour and the presser afterwards were really out of character

Scotty GoLo

So, if you have a downhill putt that passes the hole and threatens to roll into a pond (15 at Augusta) you simply go after your putt, wait till it passes the hole, then kick it back in, accept the two stroke penalty and move on, just because you think the setup of the green sucks? Cmon! The action itself was dumb, his blah blah why he did it was even dumber. Time not to call him FIGJAM anymore, but FIFOMBAR (F**k I'm Full Of Myself But Always Right).

Ill bite. lets say the ball goes in the hazard, He would have had the option of placing his ball back on the green and putt again with a 1 stroke penalty.

On Saturday he got a 2 stroke penalty.

The pond on 15 at Augusta is yellow staked I believe. Which means you'd have to go back to the other side of it ... or re-putt

It seems you always have the option of playing the ball from the same spot with a 1 stroke penalty.

Phil is embarrassed, and is an embarrassment to the PGA right now. He's probably gone into hiding and won't be seen for a while. Almost like he's been sent to the corner of the classroom with the dunce hat on.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

The Rules of Golf are hideously complex, an overgrown bramble patch that only an amateur lawyer could love. The fact that the finest Rules minds in all of golf could not see their way clear to DQ Phil for his little stunt on Saturday points out yet again that the entire Rules edifice needs to be bulldozed and replaced with something remotely reasonable.

To paraphrase Dickens' Mr. Bumble...if the Rules can't DQ him for that, then the Rules are an idiot.

P.S. And I say this as a big Phil Mickelson fan.

So pros, current and former, are calling BS. Not fans, not those defending. Pros. So they don't understand the rule either?

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

So pros, current and former, are calling BS. Not fans, not those defending. Pros. So they don't understand the rule either?

of course they don't, thats why the call for an official ever time there is any kind of situation rather than just handling it within their playing group. I don't blame them what other sport has as many rules with multiple parts. rule 1-1-c-b.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

he should have WD'd when he wasn't DQ'd. That was the right thing to do .. but it would not have been good for the fans and/or sponsors .....

Scotty GoLo

of course they don't, thats why the call for an official ever time there is any kind of situation rather than just handling it within their playing group. I don't blame them what other sport has as many rules with multiple parts. rule 1-1-c-b.

But that's not what they're saying here. The group of Phil and Beef were OK with it. But the golfing world on virtually every tour for the most part were flipping the flip out on TV, radio and social media. They're right to call BS on it, because it is.

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

The Rules of Golf are hideously complex, an overgrown bramble patch that only an amateur lawyer could love. The fact that the finest Rules minds in all of golf could not see their way clear to DQ Phil for his little stunt on Saturday points out yet again that the entire Rules edifice needs to be bulldozed and replaced with something remotely reasonable.

To paraphrase Dickens' Mr. Bumble...if the Rules can't DQ him for that, then the Rules are an idiot.

Absolutely agreee. I’ve shouted that the rules are not suited for today’s tv viewing. Rules guys don’t like me saying that. But it’s true. But you can’t put the cart before the horse and “ blame the judge “. He can only rule on the letter of the law. Folks want everyone to turn cowboy and impose their own views into a ruling and disregard the rules. Can’t do it. Not and be right. Two wrongs here would have only made it worse. The real world isn’t a 1950s western like my father In law thinks it is.

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Titleist MB 3-pw modus 130x 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

We usually get on. So take my argument as sincere not trolling. But to answer. Yes. They don’t understand the rule either. Which isn’t to rare.

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

We usually get on. So take my argument as sincere not trolling. But to answer. Yes. They don't understand the rule either. Which isn't to rare.

Blade, we don't disagree, really at all. We really don't, but this one time, we are at impasse. :)

he should have WD'd when he wasn't DQ'd. That was the right thing to do .. but it would not have been good for the fans and/or sponsors .....

I probably agree here too. He could have WD and made life easier on himself. But a WD being the eaiser choice doesn’t mean a DQ was warranted. Just means that removing himself from the rules dibacle would have been better for himself. But. It also would have given the rules a free pass. And that’s why I’m o thso fence on that opinion. To stay and shed light will likely get the ill written rule changed.

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

We usually get on. So take my argument as sincere not trolling. But to answer. Yes. They don't understand the rule either. Which isn't to rare.

Blade, we don't disagree, really at all. We really don't, but this one time, we are at impasse. :)

Damron, in that segment, isn't questioning the ruling. He is simply saying that Phil lied when he claims to know about the two stroke penalty, before slapping the ball.

I'm probably missing something in this discussion (my wife claims that I'm very good at that, btw).

If winning was easy, losers would do it.

Damron, in that segment, isn't questioning the ruling. He is simply saying that Phil lied when he claims to know about the two stroke penalty, before slapping the ball.

I'm probably missing something in this discussion (my wife claims that I'm very good at that, btw).

I’m kinda questioning the ruling too, because I don’t believe it would have been applied to every player in the field.

Absolutely agreee. I’ve shouted that the rules are not suited for today’s tv viewing. Rules guys don’t like me saying that. But it’s true. But you can’t put the cart before the horse and “ blame the judge “. He can only rule on the letter of the law. Folks want everyone to turn cowboy and impose their own views into a ruling and disregard the rules. Can’t do it. Not and be right. Two wrongs here would have only made it worse. The real world isn’t a 1950s western like my father In law thinks it is.

Reading 1-2 the committee obviously thought it wasn’t a serious enough breach to warrant a DQ. Maybe because he only did it once?

Anyway, it’s just an embarrassing reaction from a statesman of the game. You know the US Open will kick your a** - deal with it. You are still getting paid for hitting a ball around a field, act like a man not a child.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

And this could be true too. But doesn't that also point to a rules issue more than phil issue ?

Welcome by the way!

No, no. It's a Phil issue. Phil knew exactly what he was doing.

20 years of pent-up anger and frustration of being a bridesmaid in winning the US Open.

He ran after that ball and made a scene out of it.

It's always about Phil, making it about Phil.

Play it where it lies NOT WHERE IT ROLLS, Phil.

I think a major point around all this that isn't being mentioned enough is that Phil, and other stars, are a big reason why some people come. If Phil would have WD, I think even more people would have been all over him for 'disrespecting the fans and the event'. People traveled a long way to see Phil play, taking a WD when he was healthy would have been a mistake. I think he did the right thing to play, but he was definitely in a 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' situation.

People would have ripped him if he WD.

Jordan's drop, Reed's lie and Phil's hitting the moving ball are all covered by rules. Because they all play at the pro level, they've got very senior ROs with them and even more senior ROs available to escalate situations to.

They all played by the rules.

IF you think they should play differently, then you are saying they shouldn't play by the rules.

Do you play by the rules yourself, or just ones you think ought to be rules. Tough to run a competition like that, 'cause everyone would have their own set of rules, wouldn't they.

I'm not thrilled with what he did, but it's done, he got his penalty and it had absolutely no real effect on the results of the tournament.

And this could be true too. But doesn’t that also point to a rules issue more than phil issue ?

Welcome by the way!

It is a rules issue. Not black and white enough. Phil momentarily lost his temper and did something silly. We’ve all done it. Just don’t tell us you executed a thought out plan.

And that sums up my opinion pretty well. I’d rather see the blame properly placed. Call phil full of shat, and he’d laugh and agree on private I’m sure. He isn’t oblivious to his being full of it from time to time. But if we let all the pitchfork carrying mobs have their way they will morph beinh full of s*** to being a cheater. And that he isn’t. If the rules didn’t allow it , he’d have been DQed plain and simple. But the rules were too grey to make the call on a super star like phil. Why ? Because it would have highlighted the grey area and exposed yet another rules inequity. The issue is the committes power in most of these decisions. The rule should be black and white . It isn’t at al.

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I guess I'm old fashioned. One of the things I like about golf is its integrity (or at least the attempt at it). You'll never see a batter turn to the ump and tell him "No, sorry, that wasn't a ball, it was strike three.", then head to the dugout. I don't see the point of trying to explain away or rationalize Phil's action. We all know it's wrong to hit a moving ball, no matter how specific the rules are.

Phil is very sharp, and made a calculated decision that he wouldn't get DQd due to the USGA's ongoing course setup pr issues, and he was right. Not the end of life as we know it, but it was a bad look for a respected golfer.

And this could be true too. But doesn't that also point to a rules issue more than phil issue ?

Welcome by the way!

No, no. It's a Phil issue. Phil knew exactly what he was doing.

20 years of pent-up anger and frustration of being a bridesmaid in winning the US Open.

He ran after that ball and made a scene out of it.

It's always about Phil, making it about Phil.

Play it where it lies NOT WHERE IT ROLLS, Phil.

We had this debate yesterday. Wondering where you were. Are you Phil , Tiger , or Bones ?

All in good fun I know you know. ?

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

IMO, if Phil knew the rules, as he claimed, he would know that Rule 1-2 says: Exerting Influence on Movement of Ball or Altering Physical Conditions: A player must not (i) take an action with the intent to influence the movement of a ball in play or (ii) alter physical conditions with the intent of affecting the playing of a hole

End of story - he reacted and acted out of frustration to another poor putt and tried to cover his a** later. I think everyone would have given him a pass if he just admitted this is what happened and he was making a statement regarding the USGA's course set up on Saturday afternoon (a la John Daly).

Callaway Epic Max LS 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Black TS 6S
Cobra LtdX 3 wood Fujikura Motore F1 60S
Callaway UW 21 *
Mizuno JPX 919 HMP Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S - 4-A
Mizuno  54* Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S

Titleist SM6 58*
LAB DF 2.1  33"

I’ll add one more thing ...

I quietly wonder if phil did this 100% on purpose to see if they’d DQ him. Why ? To highlight the USGAs fragile position of power and possibly end Mike Davis’s tenure early.

Afterall. This is the guy who point blank called out Tom Watson. And was proven to be 1000% correct. Hmmm. Time will tell.

LAB Mezz Max armlock