Reed Unhappy with Jordan and Jim in Interview

Holy Moses

I love it when a player says other players need to check their egos. Which means they aren't checking theirs. He could use a wife that would tell him to shut up and make birdies rather than get him even more fired up of perceptions about him. Justine is a straight up redneck.

I don't think the captains picks were good given the course setup. I think his use of Phil was totally misplaced in alternate shot. I think playing Tiger in the mornings was wrong given his energy level. Bryson is a bad fit for the course too.

Let's be honest though. No matter the pairings, this Ryder Cup shows how course selection and setup matters a lot. If this had been on a 7700 yard course with light rough, does anyone think Molinari would have even won a match? Or that Tiger, Phil, and Bryson wouldn't have played better? As would JT, DJ, and Koepka. The Euros did it right to win.

Case in point - the US has already selected venues out 8 years. The Euros don't even know their next venue since the one in Rome is uncertain. The right move for the US would be to go as far west as possible to like a Riviera. The Tour plays it every year and they can get the greens moving really fast. And with the Western time zone, maybe the Euros won't have so much spunk. Or Erin Hills which is long and wide open. But the Euros are smart. I expect their captain's picks will have whatever is needed for Whistling Straits in 2 years.

Yeah. I was thinking Riv or Olympic could work nicely.

Olympic gets it... in 2032.

And 2036 is booked too. Is there anything in all of humanity that is booked as far ahead as US Ryder Cup sites?

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Dang it, someday we should play together in the Ryder Cup just to screw over some random kid!"

Side track-

I thought about that pic yesterday and wondered if their parents ever came close to imagining those two each winning $10mil Fedex cup , pairing Inc a Ryder cup and both being major champs ? Maybe one of or not the most special kid to adult superstar duos ever in sport. I know alt of kids play together In AJGA buy most aren't as connected as those two seem to have always been.

Anyway. Just an observation.

Dream come true for those guys, we've got something to build on!

That is one of the only silver linings in this debacle. Finau and Simpson are the others.

Finau has had a taste, was up to the challenge, look out - for future Ryder Cup and maybe his 2019 season! He doesn't trip himself at The Masters, he has to be one of the many favorites behind you know who.

I love it when a player says other players need to check their egos. Which means they aren't checking theirs. He could use a wife that would tell him to shut up and make birdies rather than get him even more fired up of perceptions about him. Justine is a straight up redneck.

I don't think the captains picks were good given the course setup. I think his use of Phil was totally misplaced in alternate shot. I think playing Tiger in the mornings was wrong given his energy level. Bryson is a bad fit for the course too.

Let's be honest though. No matter the pairings, this Ryder Cup shows how course selection and setup matters a lot. If this had been on a 7700 yard course with light rough, does anyone think Molinari would have even won a match? Or that Tiger, Phil, and Bryson wouldn't have played better? As would JT, DJ, and Koepka. The Euros did it right to win.

Case in point - the US has already selected venues out 8 years. The Euros don't even know their next venue since the one in Rome is uncertain. The right move for the US would be to go as far west as possible to like a Riviera. The Tour plays it every year and they can get the greens moving really fast. And with the Western time zone, maybe the Euros won't have so much spunk. Or Erin Hills which is long and wide open. But the Euros are smart. I expect their captain's picks will have whatever is needed for Whistling Straits in 2 years.

Yeah. I was thinking Riv or Olympic could work nicely.

Olympic gets it... in 2032.

And 2036 is booked too. Is there anything in all of humanity that is booked as far ahead as US Ryder Cup sites?

San Fran weather seems more similar to Europe. Likewise with Wisconsin in the fall. They should be going south for the Ryder Cup in the States.

So if Reed is in fact the problem, and continues to be the problem and qualifies for the next RC. Why not bench him for the first 2 days and let him play in the singles match only ?

Obviously he's a world class player who most likely will qualify for more team events. But if he's going to continue to be a problem or distraction what other choice would you have.

Would the team be better off if no one had to play with him ? Would he get the hint and change ? I don't know the answers but if I was a coach and had a player I couldn't pair with any one it would make the most sense and be best for the team as a whole not to play him.

Callaway mavrik max 10.5

Callaway mavrik max 3 & 5 wood
Ping g30  26* & 30* hybrids
Ping i200 6 - UW

Ping glide 54* & 60* wedges
Odyssey #7 putter

So if Reed is in fact the problem, and continues to be the problem and qualifies for the next RC. Why not bench him for the first 2 days and let him play in the singles match only ?

Obviously he's a world class player who most likely will qualify for more team events. But if he's going to continue to be a problem or distraction what other choice would you have.

Would the team be better off if no one had to play with him ? Would he get the hint and change ? I don't know the answers but if I was a coach and had a player I couldn't pair with any one it would make the most sense and be best for the team as a whole not to play him.

I'm not sure Reed is THE problem. I think no doubt he is a problem. I agree he will most likely qualify for future teams so he will have to be dealt with.

His history doesn't suggest that "shunning" him to singles only would cause him to change. ie. his college and family situation

Bench him and if he throws a tantrum in the future (refuses to play), then replace him with a guy like Horschel or Keegan who wants to be there and can actually hit a fairway instead of driving it 40 yards offline on every hole.

The video clip that focuses on Patrick Reed when the Spieth/Reed partnership question is asked in the press conference is very interesting.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

The idea that the captain would be asking guys who they want to play with and not considering past success is ridiculous. If you're Furyk, the one "sure thing" you had coming into this Ryder Cup was a Spieth/Reed combo. By splitting them up, he got lucky that JT/Spieth replicated their success, but then it left Reed looking for a partner. So the question he should have been asking is, am I more likely to find someone that pairs well with JT or with Reed. I think that's obvious, knowing Reed was notoriously hard to pair with.

You could make the same argument in reverse. Maybe if you split those two up you get more value out of them by bolstering two pairings instead of keeping them in one.

Regardless of anything else, golf is an individual sport. You have to play the shot in front of you. If you're hitting great shots you can partner well with anyone.

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

All parties involved were right an wrong.

Spieth needs to have thicker skin. He and Reed are arguably the best USA pairing ever.

Furyk showed that he was a horrible choice for a team Captain. Thought he would be from the time he was announced.

Reed needs to stop crying. I agree with some of what he was saying more than the other two. He should had not been left out of the morning sessions. However, he was paired with his childhood idol. Shut your mouth, hit good shots and carry Tiger.

Reed wasn't left out of the morning sessions. He played both morning 4 ball sessions. He was somewhere between bad and decent on Friday morning. He was absolutely awful on Saturday morning. Tiger out played him both days. Hell, even Phil was better than what Reed brought to the course on Saturday morning.

We need to hear Spieth’s side of the story. However, I do agree with Reed about playing more because he lives for this moment similar to Poulter.

Furyk was a bad captain with questionable pairings and that is undeniable given the results. Yes, players have to play, but captains have to captain too. This was a complete failure on all accounts.

Agreed, you have to play Reed over Tiger at least one of those sessions, Tiger had zero energy and drug the team down.

You must not have gotten up and watched those rounds in the middle of the night, otherwise, you wouldn't say that. Reed couldn't find a fw on Friday morning and was worse on Sat AM, when he shot a crowd pleasing 85 on his own ball. Tiger didn't play great, but Reed was MUCH MUCH worse. Putting Reed out in fourball would have been incredibly stupid. Reed's saturday morning 4ball might have been the worst round of golf played at Ryder Cup ever, besting the record that Phil set in 4somes the previous day.

Agree Tiger should have sat down Saturday PM, but the replacement needed to be Finau.

I'm not sure Reed is THE problem. I think no doubt he is a problem. I agree he will most likely qualify for future teams so he will have to be dealt with.

His history doesn't suggest that "shunning" him to singles only would cause him to change. ie. his college and family situation

Very true, it seems like he's had problems in a team atmosphere for a long time. Also agree he's not the only problem. But if they want to be a team instead of "a collection of American golfers" they need to start addressing the issues. The Euros are a team. I'm not so sure the US is.

Callaway mavrik max 10.5

Callaway mavrik max 3 & 5 wood
Ping g30  26* & 30* hybrids
Ping i200 6 - UW

Ping glide 54* & 60* wedges
Odyssey #7 putter

US is 3-9 in last 12. This isnt one persons fault.

Tiger. Definitely Tiger’s fault.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

I can’t help but think about Reed’s past when looking at this. He’s never been a team player. He stays in his little cocoon with his wife’s family because no one else can stand him (or her apparently). He’s obviously jealous of the attention Spieth gets and vents about it every chance he gets. All that said, Jordan seems to be a bit thin skinned. The captain has a tough job making pairings having to balance egos, friendships, and playing form. Jordan probably should have sucked it up and played with who he was assigned. Reed is in serious need of a look in the mirror to ask “why does everyone hate me?”

Was Jordan assigned Reed and then complained? Sounds like Furyk asked everyone what they wanted and did his best to accommodate. That's what new-age, Task Force Approved captains do.

Spieth said I want to play with JT

Thomas said I want to play with JS

Reed said Spieth, then Tiger

Tiger said I don't care

Phil said I want to play foursomes

Rickie said I like everyone and everyone likes me

Finau said I'm just happy to be here

Bubba complained about how there aren't any waffle houses in France

Simpson said something about God

DJ said "duh"

Koepka flexed and didn't say anything

Dechambeau recited pi to the 100th decimal place

/thread

I just spit my drink out - this is the post of the thread! It should haven been locked directly after.

Kudos to you cdnglf

I hired a new employee a while back that turned out to be a know it all that no one wanted to work with or be around. Sounds like Reed is that guy. Throw in a wife that takes up for her man even to his hurt and you have a bad situation.

Reed is a tough guy to like, but just as what Phil said at Gleneagles was something that put his captain under the bus, Reed and Phil were both right. At least Reed waited until after the press conference was over to say it.

It's funny, people get upset when professional golfers give the same plain vanilla interviews over and over that lack any kind of substance, then when a player speaks his mind, people get all upset.

When I saw the click-bait headline I thought Reed went postal, but when I read what he actually said it wasn't THAT bad.

I thought it was funny how Reid said Tiger apologized for his play (Tigers own). It's like Reid doesn't think anyone watched him hack it around the first two days.

PING G425 9* Tour 65 X - PING G400 Stretch 13* HZRDUS Yellow - PING G425 17* Hybrid Tour 85 X
PING I210 4-U Project X 6.5 - PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 55 & 60* Project X 6.0
PING VALOR CB 35"

Now that these stories are being published; did anyone else notice Justine’s tweet from last February about Patrick’s tee position at Monterey? The conspiracy theories that make her husband a victim are so strange.

One of her Tweets I saw she was responding to a Tweet from Jay Coffin and she accused the Golf Channel of bias

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

This is on Reed. You can't constantly throw a team mate under the bus like he did to Jordan and then get upset when he's done with you. Reed's an *ss. I don't think he gets that there's more Jordan supporters in that room then there are Reed supporters. I would leave Reed off the next team and watch them rally around the camaraderie in the team room and the desire to show Reed how a team works.

And for making Jordan play with him? That's a huge captain mistake to make him go out with a team mate that would make me want me to wrap a 5 iron around his head whenever I look at him.

Reed losing his team matches and Jordan winning his says something about their ability to work in a team.

Thrown under the bus? I must have read a different interview. If this is what people consider being thrown under the bus is, than they are way too sensitive.

Now that these stories are being published; did anyone else notice Justine’s tweet from last February about Patrick’s tee position at Monterey? The conspiracy theories that make her husband a victim are so strange.

One of her Tweets I saw she was responding to a Tweet from Jay Coffin and she accused the Golf Channel of bias

Some random Jackwagon called her man overrated. She replied back with:

https://usatgolfweek.files.wordpress.com/2018/09/screen-shot-2018-09-30-at-9-31-18-am.png

Some random Jackwagon called her man overrated. She replied back with:

https://usatgolfweek.files.wordpress.com/2018/09/screen-shot-2018-09-30-at-9-31-18-am.png

He didn’t get to play with Golden Boy on that Saturday either, lol.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

This is quite a sad thread and much of the Reed / Spieth crap I was unaware of...The few days leading up to the RC I was concerned that the JD / P. Gretzky stuff was going to affect the team. Glad that has cooled off. After seeing the post RC Tiger boat party pic's, it looks like "they being all right" and all still have life by the short hairs.

We seem to be more pi$$ed about their play then they do.

Callaway Paradym TD 9.5* - Fuji Blue TR 6s & New Blue Velocore+ 6s

2021 Callaway UW 17* & 21* - Fuji Red Ventus Velocore 7X
Callaway Apex TCB  4-pw - Steelfiber i110cw S hard stepped 1"

Callaway Jaws Forged TI red dots 52@50/56@55/60*& Jaws Raw Z grind 60*z, DG TI S400

2021 Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K DW & Eleven both at 33.5"
Ball: 2024 Callaway Chrome Tour X -tested, great feel & spin!

Reed is a kid who wants people to like him so badly but can't make it happen because his mouth runs without any logic

Toss in a control freak, conspiracy theorist wife and you have this issue. Twitter .. really?

IIRC, it was her saying to the official "If it was YJS, he'd get a drop"

So here she is interjecting herself into theatrics both inside and outside tournaments

They both feel they are more special than they actually are, and can't understand why they aren't showered with adulation ... it's a very strange dynamic

Reed - from what I see in the signing video and his comments about YJS - thinks he's actually funny but his actions and yapping have him completely underestimating his status with other tour players. He's on the outside looking in, and though he denies it, he wants to be in that inner circle

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9