2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

What's your best or most memorable round ever?

SixtySomePing

My most memorable round is my first trip to Pebble. Played Spyglass hill. I don't think I'd ever paid more than $60 to play a course before that - and my boss let me expense the whole thing. I didn't play great, that course is tough if your iron play is off.  Still probably my favorite golf course that I've played. Hoping to go back soon

• 3 weeks later...

Sunday - May 27, 2018

My Aunt got me out on Oakmont in Pittsburgh. Played with an PNC Bank Exec and the guy who supplies beef to McDonald's. 

Despite the fact of both of them being extremely nice guys, I've never been more intimidated to play somewhere. 

They made me play the tournament tees (although on a couple of holes they were closed, including hole 8 - wasn't upset). 

Started off +6 through 3 holes, parred holes 4-14, and double bogeyed 15, 16, and 17 for an 83.

Those middle 10 holes were probably some of the best balls striking I ever had. 

Going back in a couple of months and I hope I can keep the big numbers out of play.  

• Like 2

Nearly 20 years ago, a colleague and I were on a work trip to Austin, TX. She had a friend who was the event manager for a country club course that was a week out from opening. She set us up with a round, a cart and a case of Lone Star and said, “See ya when we see ya” since no one else was on the course. We then played two rounds with a nice break for lunch in the club, where again, we were the only ones. That was an incredible day.

• Like 3

Didnt even play well (was happy to break 90 it was such a tough and windy course) but I got the rare chance to play Kukio in Hawaii, stupid exclusive course........

IMG_20190415_152653666.jpg

• Like 2

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Attas-T2 9x

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

I made a bogey on 18 to shoot 1 over 72...

The next day I went back and in complete darkness I birdied 18 to shoot even par 71. First time shooting even par at my home course. 

It was pitch black, Par 4 slight dog leg right, for me being a lefty who plays a fade with my driver its a challenging hole. I hit a drive that was OK...knowing how it felt coming off the face I knew it was good but for sure left side of the fairway. Not knowing where it was exactly cause I could not see it all, I just had to walk up the left side of the fairway to find it. 8 iron in and I just caught it perfectly. knew it was good but did not realize it was 4 feet from the hole. Birdie putt was straight forward and yeah, smiled the whole way home. 

2.5 rounds to talk about

1992.  24 yrs old.  4 birdies and an eagle in the last 6 holes to win a university tourney. So stunned I didn’t know what I was doing.

two summers ago.  I shoot 70 on Wed men’s night with 7 birdies, including 2’s on all four par 3’s.  Thurs men’s league the next day at my other club i am in a 2 on 2 match in the year long.  I birdie 5 of the first 6 holes.(my partner actually birdied the missing one.)

so in a 24 hole stretch I had 12 birdies.  I am not that good, it was twilight zone stuff

Edited by cardoustie
  • Like 4

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

First broke 40 at age 13 for 9 holes playing with my Dad and a couple of his friends by sinking a 10 footer for par on the 9th at Firestone South. 

I played baseball, football and basketball as my primary sports and that 9 holes convinced me I should play more golf. So I dropped football, ha. And I started playing a LOT of golf.

• Like 1

1. When I careered and shot a 4 under 68 at Ancil Hofffman in Sacramemto. 5 birdies and 1 bogey from the blue tees.

2. Played Bandon Dunes September 2019, w/ a caddie and my wife walking. Had a nip of vodka from the caddies secret stash on hole 10. Perfect day, ended with a chip in par on 18 from the right edge. Hole was front left.

3. Club champ match play at Dark Horse in Aurburn, Ca. HIO on hole 12, but halved the hole to a guy that got a stroke and birdied. And to add insult to injury, I lost the match after breaking 80! 

• Like 1

Some good mojo in this thread.

For me, I'd have to go back to 2014. I was taking lessons for the first time and saw some flashes of hope but I got caught up in a work situation that required me to work for almost 20 days straight. We got a compensatory day off, and I got a timely invite to the beach with a friend so I made a tee time at one of the courses down there for an early morning start. It was 80, dry, and clear out with dew on the grass. I had a fresh cigar in the bag for the turn and had a good night's sleep behind me. 

Something clicked that day, I had 4 birdies and an eagle and shot a (somewhat messy) 73 with 12 putts on my back nine. It was a one of those rare days where I felt completely in control even when I was making bogies at a high clip. To this day I still wish I could replicate my long game from those couple of years with the short game I have today, but I'm trending in the opposite direction when it comes to scoring. 

• Like 1

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

So many years of different experiences....My best round in a tournament  was a 74 (+2) which felt super easy. My happiest round was a few days after the Open in 2016 on the Old Course - such a great town, atmosphere and nice club members! Hitting it long and straight over the Old Course Hotel extension with a group of local Caddies shouting”Wow’ will ring forever in my ears. 😀. My proudest moment was winning our local seniors Championship in a playoff. Having dozens of members walking the fairway watching you and another guy compete, and come out winning, was pretty special.

Played years ago with a bunch of long gone golf buddies, made 8 birdies in 27 holes to clean up all the games.  They whined like small children at bedtime as I performed The Dance of Victory.  Maybe the most memorable was playing at a tiny, ratty muni in the mountains in NM.  A guy asked to join us on the first tee, no problem, but he had a temper that might be mildly described as volcanic.  He played poorly, although he looked like he could play.  Hit one OB on 17, drove to a barrier fence and threw his whole bag over the fence into a canyon.

• Like 1

It was an absolutely wonderful day.  Playing with my last clubs Sr Club Champion under beautiful skies and perfect temp.  After hitting a small bucket, my bones were feeling up for the challenge.  It was a testy, beautifully kept course, bunkers were immaculate as was the fairways, and greens were running around 11.5/12.  I enjoyed a great cigar and walked off 18 with my lowest round of 68.  Now, I am chasing my age.  Last weekend 1 over Par... needed 3 lower.  I know it's just around the corner. 

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

Shot a course record 64 in Japan in 1993. Starting at the 8th hole, I went birdie, birdie, birdie, hole-in-one, birdie, birdie, birdie, par, birdie, par, par.

Yes, it's true. And the good thing was it was a money game (about US$ 50 per stroke) against a Japanese pro. Hahaha. We played every Wednesday for about a year. I never saw him again after that.

• Like 2

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

When I finally broke 80 (shot 78) after having shot 80 on the nose like 6 or 7x. 

Love some of the stories in this thread. I haven't had a truly sentimental round but I dream of going on a golf trip to a truly iconic place with some good friends or family if one of my daughters takes up the game.

• Like 1

Cobra King Speedzone 9* | Fujikura Atmos black shaft
Cobra King Speedzone Big Tour 3W 
Cobra King Tec 2Hy 
JPX 850 4i | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
Mizuno Pro 223 5i-PW | N.S. Pro 950GH S-flex
JPX 850 Forged GW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
MP-T5 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5 Custom

• 1 year later...

Too many rounds to mention. Can't choose between them. No one believes them anyway.

• Haha 2

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

• 3 months later...

When I lived in Dallas I used to come home in July to play in a tournament in western Kentucky.  One particular time, the first round I played was with my dad, my brother, and one of my dad’s friends.  I shot a 68.  Lowest round I ever shot.  The next day I was paired with three other guys who shot comparable scores.  The day after that I flew back to Dallas.  My dad died eight months later.  The 68 was the last round I ever played with him.  That was 28 years ago.  It goes by in a blink…

• Like 2

Taylormade Sim 2 Max 10.5*

Taylormade Burner 15* 3 wood

Taylormade Rescue Mid 22* & 25* hybrids

PXG 0311T Gen1 5/GW irons

Cleveland 588 56* & 60*

Putter Yes! Marilyn 

On 3/3/2021 at 4:21 PM, Audi A-Fore said:

2) Last summer, at Pebble, shooting 74. It was memorable because of how dead, solid, perfect I was hitting the ball. My caddie would give me a target and I would drill it, almost every time. We also had Stewart Cink in the group behind us with his sons (both D1 college players), so no pressure. I started 3 over on the first 3 holes, then proceeded to play the remaining 15 holes in (-1). On the short par 3 7th, I drained a 15' snake and got the golf clap from Cink on the teebox. I proceeded to play 7,8,9,10 in (-2) which my caddie commented, "you know how many people would pay to shoot (-2) in that stretch??". 8 was a dead-on the flag approach over the water. It's a tough approach to say the least. 9 was another pure one that ran past the flag for a touchy downhill 2 putt par. 10 I made a 18'-ish downhill putt that broke 4' or so for birdie. All day long, it was just point and shoot. Just an awesome day. 

How odd... Starting 3 over on the first three. In my first round (in my post) I went 4 under for the first three. Birdie, Eagle, Birdie and figured I was on my way to the course record... Reality kind of kicked in after that. Ended up making a 10'-12' tickler on 18 for birdie and a 79. Going 3 over early and then coming in with a 74 is pretty good...

When my Dad got a hole in one in front of my brother and I.

We're on the 13th tee at Trenton Country Club up here in NJ and we've had a few drinks. It has to be about 4pm in the afternoon so everything is winding down and we're just out having a good time. My brother's about a +4... absolute stick and he was playing well that day. Dad gets up on the tee and he's playing like sh*t all day so my brother starts telling him he's a hack and that he'd be better off sitting in the cart, etc. etc. etc. - good 'ol trash talking. 

He addresses the ball and starts giggling so he backs off. I start laughing too and so does my brother. Dad takes another practice swing, makes a comment about his boys being idiots, and then takes a swing that my brother described as an "unfolding lawn chair" ... 

Thing takes off, we're all watching it go a tad right, it hits the bank next to the green... Pins in the back left and the bank's on the right. Hits the bank, we're standing there watching the thing roll across the green now and it's just getting closer, and closer, and closer, until it started looking really good.... and BANG - f*cking thing goes right in the hole. Expensive bar tab for the old man that night...

Memorable \ years ago my son was a hotshot HS golfer with a temper after a bad hole.

One day we're playing and I double bogey #1, i said " watch this " and parred  the last 17 ( missed a few birdie putts ) ugh. We talked about it after the round and he figured it out. Don't let one hole or a bad attitude derail your score.

Awesome stories in here.

All time: The only time I broke 80. A 75 at my grandfather's CC where I couldn't miss anything on the greens. The only putt I absolutely had no business making was on 10, the first hole that day, it went by the hole on the right with enough pace to hit a slope, came right back and fell in. Good omen to start a round.

Recently: Played with a good friend and his former pro wife last year, shot an 80 with a bogey on 18. After nearly a decade of not playing, that round opened my eyes that getting back on the horse was worth every bit of the investment due to the joy only this game brings.

Sentimental: My first round at Bandon Dunes. I grew up on the East Coast and dreamed of playing there where it was just BD. I would bore the hell out of my grandpa's buddies talking about a course none of us ever dreamed of having the chance to play. Played Pac, Trails and Sheep in 2020, but didn't get to BD until '22. He passed away in 2021. I birdied 18 to finish the round, that ball and my HIO are the only ones I keep on a shelf.

Edited by snakano

Breaking 100 while trying to beat the sunset at Coronado. Made the turn as sunset was happening, and finished the 18th with a par in the pitch black while a wedding was going on in the background. What an incredible round at a beautiful course I hope I get to visit again someday. 

Edited by beamlith