2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Tiger vs. Phil in "The Match." **MERGED**

BenSeattle

People think Rory is jealous of this? He already did the Match at Mission Hills with Tiger, beat him, and almost nobody cared or talks about it. That was five years ago - I don't think Tiger vs Phil now is a blockbuster in his mind.

Sure but

If Rory was playing Spieth for something like this and they asked TW and he said,

“Look, if they had a done it whem Rory was winning it would have been great,”“but nowadays, it’s missed the mark a little bit.” "Ill watch football."

Haters be up in arms ; )

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, you’re still not getting the central point I was making in saying/giving examples (opinions or not) that there ARE plenty of possible explanations.

No wonder conversations don’t move along quickly.

Perhaps everyone else isn't to blame?....

I am actually in agreement with bladehunter's comment, as I believe the animosity stem from deeply rooted anger and jealousy... Why else would he have elaborated as to reasons why he wouldn't watch, instead of simply staying quiet... (ie: Ror's wants to hear his name being mentioned and not Tiger or Phil's)

And I hear what you're saying, but I don't think your ears are open to others.....

Rory just mad. Not winnin. TW kick his butt on TV.

Now he married, standing around Pottery Barn all day lookin at fabric swatches, holding shopping bags from Bulgari and Hermes instead of being like,

snoop-dogg-arriving-at-the-play-boy-club-pic-wireimage-178057079.jpg

UnfortunateAdorableKodiakbear-max-1mb.gif

Pay per view price here has just been dropped from initial $10 to $2 by local cable provider!!....I wouldn't be surprised if they provide it FOC later..

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

Pay per view price here has just been dropped from initial $10 to $2 by local cable provider!!....I wouldn't be surprised if they provide it FOC later..

Are you indeed in the Philippines? Unfortunately I don't think that experience is indicative of the whole market. They are still asking for $19.99 where I am.

Are you indeed in the Philippines? Unfortunately I don't think that experience is indicative of the whole market. They are still asking for $19.99 where I am.

So, if I fly to the Philippines

I could get it for $2?

This is worth looking into!

I could get it for $2?

you got connections, hit up Pacquio, tell him to send the Jet

straightshot7:

“That's not surprising at all. I don't expect this "match" to have global appeal. The majority of Tiger's fans are in the U.S. 95% of Phil's fans probably reside in the U.S.

It's obviously not an event with the gravity to attract many International viewers. But, that doesn't mean it isn't an entertaining event for people who are big Tiger and Phil fans and avid U.S. golf enthusiasts.

I don't think anyone's pretending that this event rivals top PGA Tour events or Ryder Cups, etc.

It's not being promoted as a tournament with prestige or the weight of a Tour event or a Major championship. So I'm not sure why people are holding it to such a high standard.”

––––––––––––––––

Some fair points… hence my original posts/comment stating “It is interesting few if any outside of the USA really cares about this match…” which you essentially support when saying “The majority of Tiger's fans are in the U.S. 95% of Phil's fans probably reside in the U.S.”

Except what I said is that it really shouldn't be considered "interesting". It's exactly what one would expect.

And it sounded like you were trying to pass that off as a legitimate criticism of the event, which it isn't.

No one expected this event to draw large International interest.

The vast majority of NFL viewers reside in the U. S. too. And they're not suffering.

So your point about a lack of International interest is weak at best. No one cares.

I could get it for $2?

you got connections, hit up Pacquio, tell him to send the Jet

Ok, if MP sends a significant jet (and a limo to get me to LaGuardia) stocked with stone crab legs and

CS serving champagne and scotches

And some good coffee and couple Sambucas

And a nice suite at his mansion to freshen up and then watch the TW Phil match with MP servin some nice sandwiches.

I would pay the $20 ; )

I like that they're starting to throw their own money out there. Phil threw $100K says he birdies the first hole out there and Tiger upped it to $200K.

I'm still not going to watch but I'm a little more interested in it now.

The interview these guys did with that bet was so cringe-worthy. It's amazing Mickelson is considered a good trash talker on Tour from what I've heard leading up to this.

The weather forecast is not looking good for Phil, rain chance down to about 0%. I'd bet the house on TW here.

There's absolutely huge interest for this event, people who don't even care about golf are getting hyped over it. I think the haterz here have it wrong again.

About Rors, just wait for next year. I predict this event will be a huge money maker for all involved, go over extremely well with the fans, and this will become a yearly event for the next decade. "TW versus", a regular Thanksgiving tradition. Next year TW vs Rors, bring it. I'd pay $30 for that one.

Is this match or stroke play? Will there be limits on presses and side bets? Will there be a bookie in the gallery taking action from the few VIPs invited? This is Vegas, afterall....

Match play. There seemed to be some confusion about that because I saw props with -1.5 strokes. Now those are gone, at least at 5Dimes, where these odds are from:

$9 Million Exhibition 18 Hole Match - Shadow Creek GC - Las Vegas, NV - Friday, November 23, 2018

Tiger Woods-200

Phil Mickelson+170

Propositions -

* T.Woods leads first -125 P.Mickelson leads first +105

* T.Woods leads after 9 holes -165 P.Mickelson leads after 9 holes +145

* Either golfer wins 3 consecutive holes +625 Any other result-950

* Match goes to extra holes +700 Any other result-1100

I could get it for $2?

This has been a hard sell from the beginning here...

I'm a big Tiger fan but this event never excited me from the get-go..

now if it were a foursome composed ob Brooks Koepka, Dustin Johnson, Justin Rose AND Tiger...that's a different story!!

Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Cleveland 588 56/60

Again, you’re still not getting the central point I was making in saying/giving examples (opinions or not) that there ARE plenty of possible explanations.

No wonder conversations don’t move along quickly.

Perhaps everyone else isn't to blame?....

I am actually in agreement with bladehunter's comment, as I believe the animosity stem from deeply rooted anger and jealousy... Why else would he have elaborated as to reasons why he wouldn't watch, instead of simply staying quiet... (ie: Ror's wants to hear his name being mentioned and not Tiger or Phil's)

And I hear what you're saying, but I don't think your ears are open to others.....

I’m not “blaming” a few of the same guys for being unable or unwilling to read a key point that’s clearly highlighted multiple times… but whatever the reason (unable or unwilling), I do insist in YOU and your supporters taking responsibility for your actions/inactions when conversing.

dropkicked:

“I am actually in agreement with bladehunter's comment, as I believe the animosity stem from deeply rooted anger and jealousy”

–––––––––––

And once again you’re STILL missing the central point I’m making (let me say it another way for you).

When bladehunter stated “That’s pure hate and jealousy (from Rory). No other explanation.”… the first part of his statement is nothing but blade’s personal belief (be it a baseless / factless / conspiracy-based belief, and that’s fine even though it’s likely/evidently more a reflection on blade’s obsessive/insecure relationship with Tiger which is and continues to observable and is another discussion for another time)… BUT the second part of his statement “No other explanation” is what I’m highlighting and challenging as utter rubbish, worryingly delusional and pointing out is an extremist’s way of thinking helping creating a false, convenient and limiting belief system.

The FACT IS there ARE OTHER POSSIBLE explanations instead of blade’s absolute statement of “pure hate and jealousy”… for starters I provided 2 other possible explanations, heck when Rory was asked by the media he gave you his own perfectly valid explanation of Tiger & Phil being 15 years past their best (which is true because they are and even you can’t deny that). The fact you’re either unable or unwilling to entertain that there are no other possible explanations if Rory had the time to further qualify his thoughts, is rather sad, extremist, and very worrying to say the least.

dropkicked:

“Why else would he have elaborated as to reasons why he wouldn't watch, instead of simply staying quiet”

–––––––––––

Urrrhmmm… because he was ASKED by the media. Was he meant to “stay quiet” and say nothing in the face of the question? The reality is Rory is loved by the media and fans because he’s open and honest and speaks his mind without giving a cookie-cutter answer. We as fans should be applauding more of this from our players.

Lol.

Let’s just consider this. Compare Rory’s 2017-2018 seasons. Tiger and Phil are both as relevant or much more so than he. Rory has ,I think, 1 win. ( Palmer). Phil has a WGC win and Tiger was 1 stroke from the Fedex cup and won the tour championship. Your failure to acknowledge that it COULD be sour grapes is pretty telling. Maybe my speaking in absolutes is wrong. I can say that. But your clinging to that small phrase is pretty nit picking wouldn’t you say ? The root point remains.

And to another statement that you continue to make. “ when have I tried to declare your opinion invalid “?

How’s now , or for this entire thread ? Otherwise what is your point ?

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

bladehunter:

“Look. You continue to be a “ right fighter “ as the great Dr Phil would call it. You can be right. Doesn’t matter to me.

But you’re “ advice” delivered in an accusatory or at least in a passive aggressive manner toward me is tired. You’re above spurt of sentences amount to saying “ you’re a jealous idiot who’s opinion I detest “.

I’d respect you if you came out and said that to me. But to hide behind a thin veil is just the opposite.

And by the by. If you look carefully. I called Phil winning this several days ago. I just have a feeling. Calling me a Tiger defender. Yet you feel like your Rory defense in this and other threads recently Is somehow not the same?”

––––––––––––

I actually enjoy the overly passionate fan in you and others here, but when I see it bordering on extremist conspiracy type postings I tend challenge them. It’s evident you don’t like to be called out and challenged when you’re posting such extremist / absolute statements. Bottom line, if you don’t like it, don’t make such extremist comments.

And I would say the same if it were any other player, but many of you guys tend to regard Rory as a perceived ’threat’ to Tiger so Rory is obviously talked about more.

^^^ Give 'em hell, blade. I'm still upset the CR ducked me in the other Tiger thread.

Never “ducked” a soul in my life, no reason to when I’m coming from a place of honesty, logic & truth. If you can re-post your previous post/comment/question I’ll happily respond to it shortly.

Post #985

http://www.golfwrx.c...f/page__st__960

Thanks, I’ll respond a little later.

People think Rory is jealous of this? He already did the Match at Mission Hills with Tiger, beat him, and almost nobody cared or talks about it. That was five years ago - I don't think Tiger vs Phil now is a blockbuster in his mind.

Sure but

If Rory was playing Spieth for something like this and they asked TW and he said,

"Look, if they had a done it whem Rory was winning it would have been great,""but nowadays, it's missed the mark a little bit." "Ill watch football."

Haters be up in arms ; )

That would actually be a fair point. A match between Rory & Spieth now when they aren’t at their peak is also not the right time. Same applies to Tiger & Phil, as Rory correctly highlighted.

Seems like some here can’t handle a little truth.

I could get it for $2?

now if it were a foursome composed ob Brooks Koepka, Dustin Johnson, Justin Rose AND Tiger...that's a different story!!

It's free on Hyper if you are subscribed to Cignal. Channel 261. November 24, 3am Philippine time. That's live.

.....but whatever the reason (unable or unwilling), I do insist in YOU and your supporters taking responsibility for your actions/inactions when conversing.

....And once again you’re STILL missing the central point I’m making (let me say it another way for you).

-An empty can makes more noise, than a full one...

letitgopic.jpg

Titleist....

I could get it for $2?

It's free on Hyper if you are subscribed to Cignal. Channel 261. November 24, 3am Philippine time. That's live.

that's probably the main reason for the price drop by the other cable provider...

btw Cignal is MY main cable provider!!

Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Cleveland 588 56/60

I asked the GM at my club-they wanted $300 for PPV and he-understandably-passed. I don't blame him a bit as it would be unlikely he would make anywhere near that in additional sales.

Oh wow. I forget that businesses don't pay the same rate for PPV's as normal consumers. My original thought was "it's $19.99 plus the cost to pay a waitress and bartender. You'll make that back if 5-6 guys show up". But you're right, if it's $300 that changes the dynamic.

The GM at my club is supposed to make the decision today. Either way, I'm watching it somewhere.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

straightshot7:

“That's not surprising at all. I don't expect this "match" to have global appeal. The majority of Tiger's fans are in the U.S. 95% of Phil's fans probably reside in the U.S.

It's obviously not an event with the gravity to attract many International viewers. But, that doesn't mean it isn't an entertaining event for people who are big Tiger and Phil fans and avid U.S. golf enthusiasts.

I don't think anyone's pretending that this event rivals top PGA Tour events or Ryder Cups, etc.

It's not being promoted as a tournament with prestige or the weight of a Tour event or a Major championship. So I'm not sure why people are holding it to such a high standard.”

––––––––––––––––

Some fair points… hence my original posts/comment stating “It is interesting few if any outside of the USA really cares about this match…” which you essentially support when saying “The majority of Tiger's fans are in the U.S. 95% of Phil's fans probably reside in the U.S.”

Except what I said is that it really shouldn't be considered "interesting". It's exactly what one would expect.

And it sounded like you were trying to pass that off as a legitimate criticism of the event, which it isn't.

No one expected this event to draw large International interest.

The vast majority of NFL viewers reside in the U. S. too. And they're not suffering.

So your point about a lack of International interest is weak at best. No one cares.

Firstly, Golf is a true international sport, NFL isn’t. Second, Tiger & Phil are both global brands who have international reach & value and who are paid millions by overseas brands to have their faces/names associated with them - Tiger & Phil are also both adored worldwide by not only golf fans, but general sporting fans alike. Trust me, the sponsors and brands taking part in this match would love to have a wider international appeal. So actually my point about a lack of international interest is not only valid but strong at worst.

My original post was actually a statement of insight & reality about the upcoming match and its lack of global reach / interest / value despite their international brand’s global status. But I’m not surprised by those who are extremely Tiger-sensitive who’ve made up a negative conspiratorial agenda.

Thanks again for you continued support of my original post though.