2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos Ɨ

Tiger vs. Phil in "The Match." **MERGED**

BenSeattle

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pay per view price here has just been dropped from initial $10 to $2 by local cable provider!!....I wouldn't be surprised if they provide it FOC later..

Ā 

Are you indeed in the Philippines? Unfortunately I don't think that experience is indicative of the whole market. They are still asking for $19.99 where I am.

Ā 

So, if I fly to the Philippines

Ā 

I could get it for $2?

Ā 

This is worth looking into!

Ā 

This has been a hard sell from the beginning here...

Ā 

I'm a big Tiger fan but this event never excited me from the get-go..

Ā 

now if it were a foursome composed ob Brooks Koepka, Dustin Johnson, Justin Rose AND Tiger...that's a different story!!

As a big Tiger fan also, I tend to agreeā€¦ it would certainly have more appeal if it included the firepower and talents of todays best players.

If you buy the PPV, do you have to watch it "live" or do you have the ability to watch it later on like when you DVR a show?

Ā 

I'd like to watch this from the start, but will not be home until later in the evening.

Ā 

- Josh

Ā 

Supposedly, you can watch it at your leisure for 48 hours, as many times as you want. Like you, I'll want to watch it later. I just hope there is not a massive technical screw-up.

Lol.

Ā 

Let's just consider this. Compare Rory's 2017-2018 seasons. Tiger and Phil are both as relevant or much more so than he. Rory has ,I think, 1 win. ( Palmer). Phil has a WGC win and Tiger was 1 stroke from the Fedex cup and won the tour championship. Your failure to acknowledge that it COULD be sour grapes is pretty telling. Maybe my speaking in absolutes is wrong. I can say that. But your clinging to that small phrase is pretty nit picking wouldn't you say ? The root point remains.

Ā 

And to another statement that you continue to make. " when have I tried to declare your opinion invalid "?

Ā 

How's now , or for this entire thread ? Otherwise what is your point ?

Ā 

Actually no, itā€™s not ā€œnit-pickingā€ā€¦ itā€™s challenging/exposing the underlying premise of your WHOLE irrational / extremist / conspiracy that thereā€™s ā€œNo other explanation - Thatā€™s pure hate and jealousyā€.

This is meant to be a welcoming and constructive forum for golfers to share insight, views and ideasā€¦ not where obsessive, paranoid hate-filled conspiracies like that go unchecked.

I donā€™t have much interest in this thing (only clicked on the last page of the thread to see when it is happening), but it appears the thread itself has been highly entertaining. Probably more so than the match will be. I guess Iā€™ll have to keep reading now.

Be careful, youā€™ll soon be classed a ā€œpure jealous haterā€ if you think this thread will be more ā€œentertainingā€ than the actual ā€œmatchā€ ;)

I donā€™t have much interest in this thing (only clicked on the last page of the thread to see when it is happening), but it appears the thread itself has been highly entertaining. Probably more so than the match will be. I guess Iā€™ll have to keep reading now.

Be careful, youā€™ll soon be classed a ā€œpure jealous haterā€ if you think this thread will be more ā€œentertainingā€ than the actual ā€œmatchā€ ;)

Ā 

Oh heck, Iā€™m not worried. I hate almost everyone already and am jealous of most of them too.

^^^ Give 'em hell, blade. I'm still upset the CR ducked me in the other Tiger thread.

Ā 

Never ā€œduckedā€ a soul in my life, no reason to when Iā€™m coming from a place of honesty, logic & truth. If you can re-post your previous post/comment/question Iā€™ll happily respond to it shortly.

Ā 

Post #985

Ā 

http://www.golfwrx.c...f/page__st__960

Please see post #1008 for my response.

Lol.

Ā 

Let's just consider this. Compare Rory's 2017-2018 seasons. Tiger and Phil are both as relevant or much more so than he. Rory has ,I think, 1 win. ( Palmer). Phil has a WGC win and Tiger was 1 stroke from the Fedex cup and won the tour championship. Your failure to acknowledge that it COULD be sour grapes is pretty telling. Maybe my speaking in absolutes is wrong. I can say that. But your clinging to that small phrase is pretty nit picking wouldn't you say ? The root point remains.

Ā 

And to another statement that you continue to make. " when have I tried to declare your opinion invalid "?

Ā 

How's now , or for this entire thread ? Otherwise what is your point ?

Ā 

Actually no, itā€™s not ā€œnit-pickingā€ā€¦ itā€™s challenging/exposing the underlying premise of your WHOLE irrational / extremist / conspiracy that thereā€™s ā€œNo other explanation - Thatā€™s pure hate and jealousyā€.

This is meant to be a welcoming and constructive forum for golfers to share insight, views and ideasā€¦ not where obsessive, paranoid hate-filled conspiracies like that go unchecked.

Ā 

Lol. And you arenā€™t trying to invalidate my opinion ?

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

TM Sim2 max tour Ā 16* GD Ā ADHD 8xĀ 

Titleist MB 3-pw modus 130xĀ 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlockĀ 

Ā 

Oh heck, Iā€™m not worried. I hate almost everyone already and am jealous of most of them too. ļæ½ļæ½

Ā 

Two thumbs up ... this is getting to be a very entertaining thread !

Ā 

TM Sim2 max tour Ā 16* GD Ā ADHD 8xĀ 

Titleist MB 3-pw modus 130xĀ 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlockĀ 

Yes been saying that all along. WRX commentary will be far more entertaining than the match itself and won't require me to dedicate hours to watch it. Catching the highlights on YouTube will be enough for me.

If you buy the PPV, do you have to watch it "live" or do you have the ability to watch it later on like when you DVR a show?

Ā 

I'd like to watch this from the start, but will not be home until later in the evening.

Ā 

- Josh

Comcast has the option to purchase and record. Not sure about other cable companies.

Titleist TSr4 10.0*Ā  Mitsubishi WB 63 txĀ Ā 
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6)Ā ZX7Ā (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60*Ā TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
Toulon First Run Las Vegas DB

Pro V1

Ā 

Ā 

Again, youā€™re still not getting the central point I was making in saying/giving examples (opinions or not) that there ARE plenty of possible explanations.

Ā 

No wonder conversations donā€™t move along quickly.

Perhaps everyone else isn't to blame?....

I am actually in agreement with bladehunter's comment, as I believe the animosity stem from deeply rooted anger and jealousy... Why else would he have elaborated as to reasons why he wouldn't watch, instead of simply staying quiet... (ie: Ror's wants to hear his name being mentioned and not Tiger or Phil's)

Ā 

And I hear what you're saying, but I don't think your ears are open to others.....

Ā 

Iā€™m not ā€œblamingā€ a few of the same guys for being unable or unwilling to read a key point thatā€™s clearly highlighted multiple timesā€¦ but whatever the reason (unable or unwilling), I do insist in YOU and your supporters taking responsibility for your actions/inactions when conversing.

Ā 

dropkicked:

ā€œI am actually in agreement with bladehunter's comment, as I believe the animosity stem from deeply rooted anger and jealousyā€

ā€“ā€“ā€“ā€“ā€“ā€“ā€“ā€“ā€“ā€“ā€“

Ā 

And once again youā€™re STILL missing the central point Iā€™m making (let me say it another way for you).

Ā 

When bladehunter stated ā€œThatā€™s pure hate and jealousy (from Rory). No other explanation.ā€ā€¦ the first part of his statement is nothing but bladeā€™s personal belief (be it a baseless / factless / conspiracy-based belief, and thatā€™s fine even though itā€™s likely/evidently more a reflection on bladeā€™s obsessive/insecure relationship with Tiger which is and continues to observable and is another discussion for another time)ā€¦ BUT the second part of his statement ā€œNo other explanationā€ is what Iā€™m highlighting and challenging as utter rubbish, worryingly delusional and pointing out is an extremistā€™s way of thinking helping creating a false, convenient and limiting belief system.

Ā 

The FACT IS there ARE OTHER POSSIBLE explanations instead of bladeā€™s absolute statement of ā€œpure hate and jealousyā€ā€¦ for starters I provided 2 other possible explanations, heck when Rory was asked by the media he gave you his own perfectly valid explanation of Tiger & Phil being 15 years past their best (which is true because they are and even you canā€™t deny that). The fact youā€™re either unable or unwilling to entertain that there are no other possible explanations if Rory had the time to further qualify his thoughts, is rather sad, extremist, and very worrying to say the least.

Ā 

dropkicked:

ā€œWhy else would he have elaborated as to reasons why he wouldn't watch, instead of simply staying quietā€

Ā 

Urrrhmmmā€¦ because he was ASKED by the media. Was he meant to ā€œstay quietā€ and say nothing in the face of the question? The reality is Rory is loved by the media and fans because heā€™s open and honest and speaks his mind without giving a cookie-cutter answer. We as fans should be applauding more of this from our players.

Ā 

No because his answer made him seem bitter. He could have said, I don't know what our plans are, I might check it out. The answer he gave was what you'd expect from someone who felt overlooked and thought he deserved the opportunity to play in such a match. I get it, Rory has been in the shadow of Tiger and to a lesser degree Phil his entire career. Unless Rory is a lot dumber than I thought he knows this PPV is good for golf and members of the Tour, his answer could impact the success of the event and he knew that. FYI, Rory is not that loved by the fans, he was a lot more popular in his earlier years.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56**Ā 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Ā 

Ā 

Iā€™m not ā€œblamingā€ a few of the same guys for being unable or unwilling to read a key point thatā€™s clearly highlighted multiple timesā€¦ but whatever the reason (unable or unwilling), I do insist in YOU and your supporters taking responsibility for your actions/inactions when conversing.

Ā 

dropkicked:

ā€œI am actually in agreement with bladehunter's comment, as I believe the animosity stem from deeply rooted anger and jealousyā€

Ā 

And once again youā€™re STILL missing the central point Iā€™m making (let me say it another way for you).

Ā 

When bladehunter stated ā€œThatā€™s pure hate and jealousy (from Rory). No other explanation.ā€ā€¦ the first part of his statement is nothing but bladeā€™s personal belief (be it a baseless / factless / conspiracy-based belief, and thatā€™s fine even though itā€™s likely/evidently more a reflection on bladeā€™s obsessive/insecure relationship with Tiger which is and continues to observable and is another discussion for another time)ā€¦ BUT the second part of his statement ā€œNo other explanationā€ is what Iā€™m highlighting and challenging as utter rubbish, worryingly delusional and pointing out is an extremistā€™s way of thinking helping creating a false, convenient and limiting belief system.

Ā 

The FACT IS there ARE OTHER POSSIBLE explanations instead of bladeā€™s absolute statement of ā€œpure hate and jealousyā€ā€¦ for starters I provided 2 other possible explanations, heck when Rory was asked by the media he gave you his own perfectly valid explanation of Tiger & Phil being 15 years past their best (which is true because they are and even you canā€™t deny that). The fact youā€™re either unable or unwilling to entertain that there are no other possible explanations if Rory had the time to further qualify his thoughts, is rather sad, extremist, and very worrying to say the least.

Ā 

dropkicked:

ā€œWhy else would he have elaborated as to reasons why he wouldn't watch, instead of simply staying quietā€

Ā 

Urrrhmmmā€¦ because he was ASKED by the media. Was he meant to ā€œstay quietā€ and say nothing in the face of the question? The reality is Rory is loved by the media and fans because heā€™s open and honest and speaks his mind without giving a cookie-cutter answer. We as fans should be applauding more of this from our players.

Ā 

No because his answer made him seem bitter. He could have said, I don't know what our plans are, I might check it out. The answer he gave was what you'd expect from someone who felt overlooked and thought he deserved the opportunity to play in such a match. I get it, Rory has been in the shadow of Tiger and to a lesser degree Phil his entire career. Unless Rory is a lot dumber than I thought he knows this PPV is good for golf and members of the Tour, his answer could impact the success of the event and he knew that. FYI, Rory is not that loved by the fans, he was a lot more popular in his earlier years.

Ā 

This event does as much for the PGA Tour as Dancing with the Stars did for the NFL.

Ā 

emmitt-smith-dancing-with-the-stars.jpg

Again, youā€™re still not getting the central point I was making in saying/giving examples (opinions or not) that there ARE plenty of possible explanations.

Ā 

No wonder conversations donā€™t move along quickly.

Perhaps everyone else isn't to blame?....

I am actually in agreement with bladehunter's comment, as I believe the animosity stem from deeply rooted anger and jealousy... Why else would he have elaborated as to reasons why he wouldn't watch, instead of simply staying quiet... (ie: Ror's wants to hear his name being mentioned and not Tiger or Phil's)

Ā 

And I hear what you're saying, but I don't think your ears are open to others.....

Ā 

Ā 

dropkicked:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

dropkicked:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

This event does as much for the PGA Tour as Dancing with the Stars did for the NFL.

Ā 

It promotes the Tour and tests the PPV model for the PGA Tour so not sure how you reach that conclusion. You analogy doesn't even make sense, Tiger and Phil will be playing golf not dancing.

Wedge - PXG Forged 56**Ā 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

I wonder if there are any stipulations set up for blow out situations. Maybe lose a couple on purpose. Somebody winning 8&7 would be a disaster.

Ā 

I'm guessing the side bets will help keep it close by forcing each other to take shots they might not in a straight up match play event.

Wedge - PXG Forged 56**Ā 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Ā 

Ā 

Oh heck, Iā€™m not worried. I hate almost everyone already and am jealous of most of them too. ļæ½ļæ½

Ā 

;) hope you and the family have a great thanksgiving!

Ā 

giphy.gif

Ā 

giphy.gif

Ā 

dropkicked:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

dropkicked:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

emmitt-smith-dancing-with-the-stars.jpg

Ā 

How many poor husbands were dragged by their wives to watch that crap?

Ā 

Ā 

It promotes the Tour and tests the PPV model for the PGA Tour so not sure how you reach that conclusion. You analogy doesn't even make sense, Tiger and Phil will be playing golf not dancing.

Ā 

Nobody buying this thing is unaware of the PGA Tour, and the PGA Tour knows what PPV is.

Ā 

giphy.gif

straightshot7:

ā€œThat's not surprising at all. I don't expect this "match" to have global appeal. The majority of Tiger's fans are in the U.S. 95% of Phil's fans probably reside in the U.S.

Ā 

It's obviously not an event with the gravity to attract many International viewers. But, that doesn't mean it isn't an entertaining event for people who are big Tiger and Phil fans and avid U.S. golf enthusiasts.

Ā 

I don't think anyone's pretending that this event rivals top PGA Tour events or Ryder Cups, etc.

Ā 

It's not being promoted as a tournament with prestige or the weight of a Tour event or a Major championship. So I'm not sure why people are holding it to such a high standard.ā€

ā€“ā€“ā€“ā€“ā€“ā€“ā€“ā€“ā€“ā€“ā€“ā€“ā€“ā€“ā€“ā€“

Ā 

Some fair pointsā€¦ hence my original posts/comment stating ā€œIt is interesting few if any outside of the USA really cares about this matchā€¦ā€ which you essentially support when saying ā€œThe majority of Tiger's fans are in the U.S. 95% of Phil's fans probably reside in the U.S.ā€

Ā 

Except what I said is that it really shouldn't be considered "interesting". It's exactly what one would expect.

Ā 

And it sounded like you were trying to pass that off as a legitimate criticism of the event, which it isn't.

Ā 

No one expected this event to draw large International interest.

Ā 

The vast majority of NFL viewers reside in the U. S. too. And they're not suffering.

Ā 

So your point about a lack of International interest is weak at best. No one cares.

Ā 

Firstly, Golf is a true international sport, NFL isnā€™t. Second, Tiger & Phil are both global brands who have international reach & value and who are paid millions by overseas brands to have their faces/names associated with them - Tiger & Phil are also both adored worldwide by not only golf fans, but general sporting fans alike. Trust me, the sponsors and brands taking part in this match would love to have a wider international appeal. So actually my point about a lack of international interest is not only valid but strong at worst.

Ā 

My original post was actually a statement of insight & reality about the upcoming match and its lack of global reach / interest / value despite their international brandā€™s global status. But Iā€™m not surprised by those who are extremely Tiger-sensitive whoā€™ve made up a negative conspiratorial agenda.

Ā 

Thanks again for you continued support of my original post though.

Ā 

1. What you hear from 4 friends isn't conclusive evidence of anything

Ā 

2. My point stands that the large majority of Phil and Tiger's fans (especially those avid enough to order something like this) reside in the U.S.

Ā 

3. No one, including the sponsors and "match" organizers ever intended for this event to have large International appeal or purchases

Ā 

So your criticism is a total straw-man argument. It's like saying interest in the President's Cup is low among Europeans. Yeah? Tell us something we don't know?

Ā 

Since you'll never acknowledge the weakness of your arguments, I know you'll probably come back again with more of the same. I wish you all the best but I'm done "conversing" with you. It's been fun, I'm just going to grab some popcorn when it comes to your posts from now on. :)

No coverage in the UK

Ā 

So what are you going to watch with ypur Thanksgiving leftovers?

Ā 

; )

Ā 

giphy.gif

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black