Cobra's new King F9 Speedback Driver, Woods, Hybrids and Irons (NO BUY SELL TRADE POSTS)

GolfWRX

> @nsxguy said:

> > @Jagpilotohio said:

> > > @provx said:

> > > Has anyone ordered the tour length driver at 43.5 inches or so, how is it working out?

> >

> >

> > I always have all my drivers at 43.5” including the F9. Swingweight is at D-2. Only one round and one range session so far. Pretty positive results but quite honestly I still prefer the sound, feel, and look of my LTD. I’m sure part of it is just familiarity after 3 years of the same driver. I suppose I should find a launch monitor to get some numbers but I’m a bit old fashioned about that. I either like a club or I dont. The ball flight and the distance on some of my favorite driving holes tell me most of what I want to know. The 2 heads with the same shafts (Grafalloy Blue and KKDCXT). seem to perform similarly for me.

>

> Not for me since I can't hit this driver to save my life (3 "sessions" with it) but could you clarify the "Tour Length" for this driver ?

>

> You quoted someone who indicated it was 43.5 and also have said it's "an inch shorter" which I believe would make it 44.5.

>

> In another thread (G400MAx vs. F9) they're claiming this driver is as straight & forgiving as the G400MAX but I can't come anywhere near the dispersion/control/straightness of the MAX with this driver. I see excellent distance numbers but can't find ANY reasonably consistent control with it. ¯\\_(ツ)_/¯

>

Cobras “Tour length” is 44.5”. I play my drivers an inch shorter at 43.5”.

Gave the driver another go on course today, much better results, helped being over 45 degrees and not my first round of the year, will keep it in for now. Likes low on face, teeing it down helped

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

just bought one ...but can't bring myself to even hit it lol....in case it is better than the LTD Pro.... I know...right

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

> @dmeeksDC said:

> NX, I think in your situation, you have to resort to what Porsche references above: Match the two builds and settings as much as possible and take another look. If you want. It’s a bit of work, so you have to be willing to put in more time and effort. Sometimes I do think it’s worth it, most times I limit that to different hosel settings and trying another shaft.

Understood. We're a bit spoiled today that we have so many shafts to try.

But Cobra, at least at the PGATSS near me has only a limited number of shafts to try. Atmos Black and Hzrdus Smoke jump to mind.

Unfortunately it's too expensive and time consuming to go out and buy different shafts to try only to find out they don't work and have to try to sell them. I got LUCKY with my current Hzrdus Black as I bought it on "spec" and it worked out great. Previously I had a Cobra's Bio Cell + and got several different shafts and none of them worked particularly well.

I had a similar problem with the Ping drivers. They only had Xtorsion, Alta and their own Tour shaft. So it was a no go.

So right now, it's either I try it out and love it or I'm done with it.

But for this Cobra,,,,,,,,,, When I tried the 3 shafts with the Ping G400MAX (several times), other than it being a bit short (due to backspin no doubt), each of the 3 shafts I tried it with it gave me excellent dispersion along with "max" forgiveness.

The F9, I just can't get to behave. Horses for courses I guess. ¯\\_(ツ)_/¯

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Has anyone found a shaft/loft setting that will kill the spin on high strikes? I have gone through 5-7 good fittings over the last 4 years and am always put in a 10.5 head with a mid/mid or a high/low combo. After being fit for the F9 I was out into an Atmos Black 7s with 10.5 head. It played well on the sim and LM but I took it out on the course yesterday and the spin gremlin ate up 20yds of distance on almost every drive. The silver lining is I hit 11 fairways!

Titleist TSR2+ 12.75*
Ping G425 19.5*

Titleist TS2 4h 22*
Ping i210 5-PW
Vokey SM8 52*/58*
Ping Prime Tyne
Titleist Pro V1

> @Indygolfer85 said:

> Has anyone found a shaft/loft setting that will kill the spin on high strikes ? I have gone through 5-7 good fittings over the last 4 years and am always put in a 10.5 head with a mid/mid or a high/low combo. After being fit for the F9 I was out into an Atmos Black 7s with 10.5 head. It played well on the sim and LM but I took it out on the course yesterday and the spin gremlin ate up 20yds of distance on almost every drive. The silver lining is I hit 11 fairways!

High strikes typically produce high launch and LOW spin.

Is the F9 different in this respect ?

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

> @nsxguy said:

> > @Indygolfer85 said:

> > Has anyone found a shaft/loft setting that will kill the spin on high strikes ? I have gone through 5-7 good fittings over the last 4 years and am always put in a 10.5 head with a mid/mid or a high/low combo. After being fit for the F9 I was out into an Atmos Black 7s with 10.5 head. It played well on the sim and LM but I took it out on the course yesterday and the spin gremlin ate up 20yds of distance on almost every drive. The silver lining is I hit 11 fairways!

>

> High strikes typically produce high launch and LOW spin.

>

> Is the F9 different in this respect ?

Based on my on-course testing yesterday, the ball was definitely ballooning and had a much higher apex than my typical tee shots.

Titleist TSR2+ 12.75*
Ping G425 19.5*

Titleist TS2 4h 22*
Ping i210 5-PW
Vokey SM8 52*/58*
Ping Prime Tyne
Titleist Pro V1

> @nsxguy said:

> > @Indygolfer85 said:

> > Has anyone found a shaft/loft setting that will kill the spin on high strikes ? I have gone through 5-7 good fittings over the last 4 years and am always put in a 10.5 head with a mid/mid or a high/low combo. After being fit for the F9 I was out into an Atmos Black 7s with 10.5 head. It played well on the sim and LM but I took it out on the course yesterday and the spin gremlin ate up 20yds of distance on almost every drive. The silver lining is I hit 11 fairways!

>

> High strikes typically produce high launch and LOW spin.

>

> Is the F9 different in this respect ?

The F9 likes a mid to low strike. At least with the 9* head. Crazy I know but that’s also the consensus with this head. I had to adjust my tee height accordingly because the high strike just didn’t produce the results I typically had with other drivers.

Also the biggest help with spin would be loft. Have you switched the 10.5 and tried a 9 head?

Some flavor of the month driver.
Some driving iron for Links courses.

A hybrid to save my bad shots.
Titleist blades when I feel lucky otherwise something more forgiving.
A Vokey wedge or 2.
I hate every one of my 17 putters.

> @reechard said:

> > @Man_O_War said:

> > just bought one ...but can't bring myself to even hit it lol....in case it is better than the LTD Pro.... I know...right

>

> personally, from my exact experience with this..

>

> You're in for a pleasant surprise :)

WOW!! so i did try it and it's in the bag firmly. I got the 7-10.5 loft range head and it's like the LTD Pro..just better!!! LTD pro is retired. Ironically, i mistakenly had my LTD pro lying on the ground whiles testing the f9...caught the LTD pro on one backswing hurtling it down and collecting new marks. F9 literally kicked the ltd pro out.

I played 6 holes with it and knew ..it was it~!!!! Cobra golf hit all the marks on this one. Fantastic engineering. Well done!!

Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)

> @Indygolfer85 said:

> Has anyone found a shaft/loft setting that will kill th> @magnus7319 said:

> > @nsxguy said:

> > > @Indygolfer85 said:

> > > Has anyone found a shaft/loft setting that will kill the spin on high strikes ? I have gone through 5-7 good fittings over the last 4 years and am always put in a 10.5 head with a mid/mid or a high/low combo. After being fit for the F9 I was out into an Atmos Black 7s with 10.5 head. It played well on the sim and LM but I took it out on the course yesterday and the spin gremlin ate up 20yds of distance on almost every drive. The silver lining is I hit 11 fairways!

> >

> > High strikes typically produce high launch and LOW spin.

> >

> > Is the F9 different in this respect ?

>

> The F9 likes a mid to low strike. At least with the 9* head. Crazy I know but that’s also the consensus with this head. I had to adjust my tee height accordingly because the high strike just didn’t produce the results I typically had with other drivers.

>

> Also the biggest help with spin would be loft. Have you switched the 10.5 and tried a 9 head?

Not making me happy to hear the F9 head performs better with a low strike. That would rule it out for me. Is that true of other Cobra heads? I’d rather tee it up high with a low-lofted head and hit it high center. The Ping G400 loves a high center hit. I recall the LTD being the same: high strike best. I always thought low strike produced too much spin and too low launch and is a distance killer.

As for the spin issue, definitely recommend a lower loft head. These modern heads seem to launch higher anyway. A 9 degree seems like an 11 degree from the old days. I have had fitters put me in 10.5 heads and I hit them straight — and short. Remember the ‘loft up’ craze? Fitter I went to last summer is known to be one of best in the DC area. He was so much better than the others in knowing how to optimize. He made a completely different recommendation. To cut spin, he said I needed to be in a 9 or even 8.5 degree head. Then he fit a mid-launch shaft to tweak spin and get it where we wanted — 2K to 2200K. He told me use less loft to get baseline spin down, change hosel settings and shafts to dial it in, adding a little back if needed.

Going to less loft and higher tee added serious distance to my tee shots. I am so used to it now that I would not want to go to a low tee setup. I want the driver barely grazing the ground or not touching at all if possible.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

What shafts did you folks that bought the fairways settle on? I've the evenflow in the driver and the 780 UST smac wrap in the hybrid. Learned today that most people go for a heavier shaft in their fairway. Is that true and what's the reasoning behind it? Must sound incredibly ignorant but I genuinely haven't given it much thought up until now. Thanks in advance.

> @dmeeksDC said:

> > @Indygolfer85 said:

> > Has anyone found a shaft/loft setting that will kill th> @magnus7319 said:

> > > @nsxguy said:

> > > > @Indygolfer85 said:

> > > > Has anyone found a shaft/loft setting that will kill the spin on high strikes ? I have gone through 5-7 good fittings over the last 4 years and am always put in a 10.5 head with a mid/mid or a high/low combo. After being fit for the F9 I was out into an Atmos Black 7s with 10.5 head. It played well on the sim and LM but I took it out on the course yesterday and the spin gremlin ate up 20yds of distance on almost every drive. The silver lining is I hit 11 fairways!

> > >

> > > High strikes typically produce high launch and LOW spin.

> > >

> > > Is the F9 different in this respect ?

> >

> > The F9 likes a mid to low strike. At least with the 9* head. Crazy I know but that’s also the consensus with this head. I had to adjust my tee height accordingly because the high strike just didn’t produce the results I typically had with other drivers.

> >

> > Also the biggest help with spin would be loft. Have you switched the 10.5 and tried a 9 head?

>

> Not making me happy to hear the F9 head performs better with a low strike. That would rule it out for me. Is that true of other Cobra heads? I’d rather tee it up high with a low-lofted head and hit it high center. The Ping G400 loves a high center hit. I recall the LTD being the same: high strike best. I always thought low strike produced too much spin and too low launch and is a distance killer.

>

> As for the spin issue, definitely recommend a lower loft head. These modern heads seem to launch higher anyway. A 9 degree seems like an 11 degree from the old days. I have had fitters put me in 10.5 heads and I hit them straight — and short. Remember the ‘loft up’ craze? Fitter I went to last summer is known to be one of best in the DC area. He was so much better than the others in knowing how to optimize. He made a completely different recommendation. To cut spin, he said I needed to be in a 9 or even 8.5 degree head. Then he fit a mid-launch shaft to tweak spin and get it where we wanted — 2K to 2200K. He told me use less loft to get baseline spin down, change hosel settings and shafts to dial it in, adding a little back if needed.

>

> Going to less loft and higher tee added serious distance to my tee shots. I am so used to it now that I would not want to go to a low tee setup. I want the driver barely grazing the ground or not touching at all if possible.

Sounds like Buddha. Fit me in a similar fashion a couple years ago. I have had success going in the opposite direction, though I may try that sort of setup this year just to see what the differences are.

> @peepee said:

> I have a 9 head set to 7.5 and I can hit it any way I want. High centre with a high tee gives me high long balls, low heel/centre with a low tee nice medium high running cuts. No issues with it spinning up.

Same here but I have the 10.5*. Tee it high down-wind and let it ride, tee it low into the wind for a piercing low-mid flight. This driver is hot and forgiving no matter where you hit it on the face!!!

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT 
PUTTER -   PXG One and Done w/Super Stroke 5.0
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

Hit my F9 at a winter range last week. Driver feels good and sounds good. Bad thing I can’t tell true distance. Still a lot of snow in field. Range balls, no roll doesn’t help either. I won’t know until couple balls off the first tee if it’s staying in the bag or not.

Sent from my iPhone using GolfWRX Mobile

> @"The General" said:

> i'm not sure what would please you folks, but this new driver looks badass!! It looks fast. The F8+ is almost a masterpiece and this F9 might be a touch better. Throw an old school WB 73x in it and be done!!!

I actually own the F9 in the white more matte finish on top. Not looking at a pic. This driver looks amazing at address and sits perfect. Just slightly open if not dead square but no hook look at all. The head is incredibly solid..ball flight is mid with low spin and the feel and sound are just flat out solid. I owned Biocell+, Fly Zplus and F8+. FlyZplus is one of the most underrated drivers ever made and the F9 is better than it. I didn’t like the F8+. The sound and feel we’re off to me. Yes, personal preference. This F9 is the real deal. I have several shafts trying to dial it to perfect but this will be in the bag for a while. I still hit the biocell+ 3 wood cause it’s my cant miss club.

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

i am shocked with how low spin this driver is..wow. Long, and straight. I am not seeing my usual draw as i did with the LTD Pro. Who are these guys over spinning this driver head .. :) Actually think I will get the 10.5 and try that with the upright angle.

What a driver head. I have the 9.0 lofted one currently. maybe swap with someone. hmm. let's see

Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)

4 rounds in with the F9 and agree with many who have posted. Not the most low spinning head I have hit but across the face probably the most consistent speed and spin. I’m used to hitting high on the face and need to hit center-to-low on he F9 to avoid sky balls.

Just got rid of my M1 440, which is the lowest spin and high launch club I’ve used. Unfortunately 1-2 drives a round killed my score with misses that really really missed.

Last 4 drivers all hit side by side height wise:

M1 440 (KK silver) > G400 LST (KK silver) > F9 (Atmos Black) > Epic SZ (AD-GP)

M1 farther on good hits by a half club at least. The other 3 are neck and neck distance wise. F9 and G400 LST more forgiving by far.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1237994-my-carls-golfland-contest-fitting-experience-grab-a-drink/"]My Carl's Golfland / GolfWRX WITB story[/url]

Cobra F9, Atmos Black TS 6X
Titleist TS3 3w, Atmos Black TS 7s

Titleist 510 3i Atmos Black TS 9x
Srixon U85 4, z785 5-PW Modus 120x
Titleist Vokey SM5 50F/54M/58M, DG TIS400
EVNRoll ER5

> @Krt22 said:

> Mine is 45" with the 18/2g weights and I think some hot melt from Cobra. Wicked good. Im now longest hitter in our regular group. Not all due to the club, but it certainly helps

So welcomed me to the party. My speedback driver arrived today. Like you

I ordered half inch short of standard; so basically a compromise between standard and tour length. To keep the swing weight at the stock D3 Cobra put in an 18g weight instead of the 14 gram. And kept the two gram weight as is.

The question that I have is when I demoed the Club at the shop it was obviously in the standard length configuration with the 14 and 2 gram weights. I found I hit it with lower spin and a bit more ball speed with the heavier weight up front. But I was still hitting it quite good with still very good spin numbers and maybe tighter dispersion with the heavier weight in back. However, I am wondering if having 18 instead of 14 grams up front or in the back of the head will cause any significant difference in playing characteristics in terms of launch and spin compared to the stock weights that I tried on the demo driver.

I saw the F9 Camo edition in person today. Wow!! Very sharp. Had the gray Nardo crown and green evenflo shaft. Made me wish I hadn’t bought mine yet.

> @mitchdoc said:

> > @Krt22 said:

> > Mine is 45" with the 18/2g weights and I think some hot melt from Cobra. Wicked good. Im now longest hitter in our regular group. Not all due to the club, but it certainly helps

>

> So welcomed me to the party. My speedback driver arrived today. Like you

> I ordered half inch short of standard; so basically a compromise between standard and tour length. To keep the swing weight at the stock D3 Cobra put in an 18g weight instead of the 14 gram. And kept the two gram weight as is.

>

> The question that I have is when I demoed the Club at the shop it was obviously in the standard length configuration with the 14 and 2 gram weights. I found I hit it with lower spin and a bit more ball speed with the heavier weight up front. But I was still hitting it quite good with still very good spin numbers and maybe tighter dispersion with the heavier weight in back. However, I am wondering if having 18 instead of 14 grams up front or in the back of the head will cause any significant difference in playing characteristics in terms of launch and spin compared to the stock weights that I tried on the demo driver.

>

>

I don’t think a few grams will make a huge difference in the front location. My F9 is at 44 1/4”...I have a 14 gram in front and put a 10 gram in back. I did notice the flight was slightly higher switching from the 2 gram to the 10 but the spin seems to have stayed low. I’m not on a launch monitor often but have a pretty sharp eye for my ball flight and changes. I had the driver dialed in on the monitor but the weight was too light at the shorter length. If I feel the launch gets too high once it’s warm and the ball really starts flying I will adjust the loft and get back on the monitor. The weight feels perfect to me now.

I too need to praise this driver.

I bought 2. 9 degree and 10,5 degree. Smoke shaft and black Atmos in stiff.

9 degree actually laucnhes a little lower than what Im used to for a 9 degree, so the 9 degree for windy days or els the 10,5.

No wind the 10.5 is about 5 yards longer.

Smoke shaft is generally the most stable shaft, Atmos is a little bit easier to turn over for a draw. But both excellent.

Whta has surprised me a bit is the high fade I make (when chosen to) with the 10.5 degree. Its long. 15 yard longer than what I expected.

I find this driver outright superb.