Any Long Term Srixon 785 Irons Reviews??

AP2 player for years and years. Always looking to replace them simply out of sheer boredom of playing them. I've always liked them but never "loved" them. The turf interaction to me leaves a bit to be desired. Played 53s (Best irons I've played) and 15s (Loved) as well as i20s in the past 7 years those are the only irons I've played.

I cannot stop looking at the 785 irons. They look amazing and check all the boxes. I hit them but tough to judge anything in the middle of the winter off a matt so I'm looking for real course reviews.

The U85 is simply awesome as well. Would go with a 20 deg U85 as well as RTX wedges.

fire away............

TITLEIST TSI3 10 TOUR AD DI6

TITLEIST TSI2 15 TOUR AD DI7

SRIXON ZX7 3-PW MODUS 120

ZIPCORE 52 56 60

BETTINARDI QUEEN BEE

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought I'd need the extra forgiveness of the 585s. And In reg flex at 105. Ive lost 1-2 clubs the last few years from a bad back and now 60 years ouchy old. lol   When fit I found the

> @jvincent said: > > @mukster said: > > > @Buckets2 said: > > > Definitely wasn't thin, hit it as well and solid as I could. I would love to have an easy answer but I'm

Been playing 765s for 2 seasons and still not used to the 9-PW, look shut or too offset to me. Debated picking up 965 short irons but got fit right before the pandemic and then found a steal on some 7

Posted Images

You cant go wrong with any Srixon iron model long term. Wanted to ask kg, do you mess around with shafts or specs at all. Ive seen you flip every clubhead known to mankind but its usually stock shaft. Why not dabble into the dark arts of advanced specs. That being said, if you read great reviews of 745/65 it will be the same case here. Not many players have had the 785 in play long enough to give you a long term review anyways lol

Speaking of "advanced specs"....I have been playing the 785 for about four months after a couple years if the z765. Same shaft.. Nippon Pro Modus 125s. In their infinite wisdom the 125's went from being a stock shaft on the 765 to bring an "exotic" option on the 785.

That said I really like the Srixon clubs. Really good turf interaction with a soft feel.

WITB
Titleist TSi3 9* PX Riptide CB 60s

Titleist TS3 strong 3 wood 13.5* PX Hzrdus. Smoke 75s

Titleist 818H2 19* hybrid Tensei Blue

Srixon ZX7 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125s

Taylormade MG2 50* 54* 58* DG S300

Scotty Cameron Newport Special Select 34” with flow neck by LaMont

online reviews shows that they don't spin as much as they should compared to similar irons in their category. Can anybody confirm this? I'm a low spin guy that's why the Ap2 fit me so well.

ZIPCORE 52 56 60

BETTINARDI QUEEN BEE

> @kgeorge78 said:

> online reviews shows that they don't spin as much as they should compared to similar irons in their category. Can anybody confirm this? I'm a low spin guy that's why the Ap2 fit me so well.

>

>

I'm a high spin player and was fit into the 785s because they lowered my spin into a more manageable range. It was actually a pleasant surprise as I've always struggled to get the spin down.

> @tgoodspe1991 said:

> lol there's a goldilocks of spin going on here :smile:

Which is typical because every swing is different. What spins excessively for you may be different for any of us.

WITB
Titleist TSi3 9* PX Riptide CB 60s

Titleist TS3 strong 3 wood 13.5* PX Hzrdus. Smoke 75s

Titleist 818H2 19* hybrid Tensei Blue

Srixon ZX7 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125s

Taylormade MG2 50* 54* 58* DG S300

Scotty Cameron Newport Special Select 34” with flow neck by LaMont

I would get the 965’s. You can find them brand new for cheap. I tested the 965 vs 765 extensively. The 965’s were easier to hit, spin was better, turf interaction was better, flight was what I expected, etc.

I wanted the 765’s so bad because of the perceived forgiveness, but after multiple testing days, It wasn’t even close. I got the 965’s with the U65 4iron and 2iron. First set of irons in 20 years that I’m contemplating a backup set.

I have hit the 785’s and found them to be very similar to the 765’s.

This is not a blade/cavity debate. I’m just saying, if you have a place to hit the 965’s, do it.

• Like 1

> @kgeorge78 said:

> online reviews shows that they don't spin as much as they should compared to similar irons in their category. Can anybody confirm this? I'm a low spin guy that's why the Ap2 fit me so well.

>

>

Check out this TXG video comparing players irons, which includes Z765, 718 CB, iBlade, X Forged and P770, go to 8:09 in the video to see the comparison chart. Z785/765 irons are slightly stronger in loft which may account for online reviewers getting somewhat lower spin numbers. TXG has bent all irons to the same loft for this comparison. They've also tested Z785 vs. Z765 and the results have been almost identical.

[

"https://youtube.com/watch?v=7mVJa100OPI&t=495s")

I've had mine since end of last year. I have about 15 rounds with them. Winter in Ohio sucks! My league play starts Wednesday! I love these irons. Great combination of distance, feel and accuracy. They wont be leaving my bag anytime soon.

They have plenty of spin for me and are one of the best feeling forged irons I've hit with Modus 120. I have 5-PW and a 4 U65 that has a modus 105s.

A big bonus with z785 is the turf interaction, these just cut right through. Also very easy to hit different shots and work the ball. Looking forward to a really good season this year.

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

> @Shilgy said:

> Speaking of "advanced specs"....I have been playing the 785 for about four months after a couple years if the z765. Same shaft.. Nippon Pro Modus 125s. In their infinite wisdom the 125's went from being a stock shaft on the 765 to bring an "exotic" option on the 785.

> That said I really like the Srixon clubs. Really good turf interaction with a soft feel.

To each their own. Stock shaft were dynamic golds. Anyways, Modus 125 is not my cup of tea. Much prefer Modus 120

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
SC Phantom X 5.5

Keep these reviews coming, guys. I’m a long time blade player that recently picked up a set of 718 AP2s. Love the feel, distance, and forgiveness, but they are a bit more cumbersome through the turf than the blades to which I am accustomed. I’m thinking the 785s might check off all the same boxes as the AP2s, but with better turf interaction. Curious what others have to say.

> @BCULAW said:

> Keep these reviews coming, guys. I’m a long time blade player that recently picked up a set of 718 AP2s. Love the feel, distance, and forgiveness, but they are a bit more cumbersome through the turf than the blades to which I am accustomed. I’m thinking the 785s might check off all the same boxes as the AP2s, but with better turf interaction. Curious what others have to say.

Cant compare to 718 ap2 but z785 dont hold back when comes to turf interaction. Slice right through. Maybe that's why I like them so much. I dont miss my blades anymore. Though I wouldn't mind picking up some of the new Cobra MB or set of clean Nike VR pro blades (man those were good looking!) Serious note, z785 are a ball strikers delight

• Like 1

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
SC Phantom X 5.5

Almost 2 months with mine now. After a lie angle issue for the first few weeks, now really getting along with them. Im not a high spin player but not having any issues with stopping power with these since they launch so easy. They are far more forgiving and long than they look.

This past weekend I hit one of the purest shots of my life. 180 yard high draw with my 785 7i (have the Z585s for 4-6). Stuck it 10ft for eagle and it backed up 2 ft. I played a full set of Z545s previously and just snagged a 745/945 combo on the bay. I have bstone J15CBs as my backup set but Im not sure they will see much use

My z785's just arrived. I will begin my review shortly

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS @ 9º w/ Tensei Pro White 1K 50x

Fairway: Callaway Epic Max 3W @ 15º w/ MMT 70s

Fairway: Callaway Epic Max Heavenwood @ 20º w/ MMT 80s

Irons: Callaway Apex TCB 4-A w/ Catalyst 100 6.0

Wedges: Callaway JAWS Forged 56º/60º w/ True Temper S200

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

Also have my eye on them despite my 718 AP2 working well. Don't know what it is about the Srixons!

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9* Ventus Black 6x

Callaway EFSZ @ 14* Ventus Black 7x

Callaway TC Apex 2019 Hybrid @ 19* Veylix Rome 988X (Gamer) | Taylormade Sim UDI 2i Hzrdus Handcrafted Black 105x

Callaway X-Forged UT 24* Project X 6.5

Callaway Apex MB 5-PW Project X 6.5 | Srixon z945 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100 

Vokey JDM Forged 50F & 56M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Vokey Tour Issue Raw TVD Prototype M 60* KBS Wedge 130x

Odyssey White Hot Pro #7 | Odyssey White Hot Pro #1 | Byron Morgan DH89 34/70*/2*

Srixon Z Star XV 2021

Linksouldier 

> @BCULAW said:

> Keep these reviews coming, guys. I’m a long time blade player that recently picked up a set of 718 AP2s. Love the feel, distance, and forgiveness, but they are a bit more cumbersome through the turf than the blades to which I am accustomed. I’m thinking the 785s might check off all the same boxes as the AP2s, but with better turf interaction. Curious what others have to say.

my only complaint with the ap2 over the past few years. I don't like pretty diviots with them like I did with my mizuno irons

• Like 1

ZIPCORE 52 56 60

BETTINARDI QUEEN BEE

> @kgeorge78 said:

> > @BCULAW said:

> > Keep these reviews coming, guys. I’m a long time blade player that recently picked up a set of 718 AP2s. Love the feel, distance, and forgiveness, but they are a bit more cumbersome through the turf than the blades to which I am accustomed. I’m thinking the 785s might check off all the same boxes as the AP2s, but with better turf interaction. Curious what others have to say.

>

> my only complaint with the ap2 over the past few years. I don't like pretty diviots with them like I did with my mizuno irons

>

Yeah. I play on Bermuda and these AP2s just going chunks out of the turf. Feels so much better to peel dollar bills out of the grass.

I am in the same boat as the OP. I am still playing 712 AP2's and they leave a lot to be desired for turf interaction. I have been eyeing the 785's and hit the 6 iron today with Modus 120s. I don't take much of a divot but didn't have much issue hitting them off the mats. The spin was a little low at around 5k for the 6 iron. My swing was +3.5-7 on Trackman and down 5ish. I am planning to get new irons this month and it will be between the 785 / z-forged / 919T / 718CB / Apex Pro.

Titleist TS3 10.5 - Ventus 6x Tester
Titleist TS3 3 wood - PX Smoke 6.5
Mizuno MP20 HBM 3 iron - Steelfiber
Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-P - $-Taper
Vokey SM6 - 50F - x100

Vokey SM8 Raw 56D, 60M - s400
Bettinardi SS3 - SC Newport 2 SS

Playing the 745s still and see no reason to change them because they are so good but they are fairly worn out and in a couple years when the price comes down on the 785s ill likely pick up a set and retire the 745s.

Taylormade Sim 10.5 GD AD IZ 7X 

Taylormade Sim TI 15 GD AD DI 7X

Taylormade Sim 2 Max HYB 19 Tensei AV Raw Blue X

Titleist U500 Project X Evenflow white 90 6.0

Srixon Z785 5-7 Nippon Modus 105S Hardstepped 

Srixon Z forged 8-PW Nippon Modus 105S Hardstepped

Cleveland RTX4 50 @ 49.5 Oban CT Steel 115

Taylormade Hi Toe 54 58 KBS $ Taper Black (S)

Scotty Cameron California Monterrey 1.5

Titleist Pro V1 Yellow

The longest iron I carry is a 5 iron. I generally do not feel that I have trouble hitting a 5 iron. I had trouble hitting a five consistently with this set. It is lofted at 25 vs the 27 I normally play. The Xforged 5 was easier to get up and it was lofted at 26. The 919 Tour was easily able to get up better than the Z785. I felt the 919 Tour felt better than the z785, but I also feel the new zforged feel better than the Mp18 MB.

So, not really sure what I’m saying - other than I prefer hitting a 27 degree 5 iron. And in this slimmed down design, the v-sole is toned down, and these don’t have tungsten like previous models. I trust Srixon designers, but not sure how these are as forgiving as previous versions.

Apologies for the typos. Dang phone.

• Like 1

I've had mine since Black Friday and they are growing on me for sure. I did reshaft from x100 to Modus 125x and the ball flight is a little higher. The feel is fantastic, you get that beautiful thud with a soft sound and cut through the grass.

Definitely agree that these irons are low spin, but I switched to a spinnier ball and it's worked out really well. You can work the ball like crazy with the 785.

Not as happy with the 5 and 6 iron, I may weaken their lofts to add a small amount of launch and spin. My previous 850 Forged irons had an identical loft in the 5i and were easier to launch. The clubs are all built the way I want them and I'm going to only make small tweaks before exploring anything like a combo with the 585.

SIM2 9*, HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80 

Flash SZ 17°, VTS Silver 8x
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, PX 6.5
SM7 50F, 54S, 58M
PXG Closer Gen 2  
Tour BX