Random Bandon Thread

buzlin

I think with Medford it is just good to have another option. One option isn't much better than the other so you can compare the 2 and pick the airport that works best and not miss out on much by doing so. I was able to book a luxury SUV out of Medford last year and the price was no different than Eugene. I don't know why you'd ever go on a golf trip and not bring the essentials, so stopping at a golf store seems unnecessary, not to mention bandon has everything you could possibly want and more. For me it just comes down to where ever has the flight times that work best for my trip days/times. 

I doubt Bandon has ProV1's for $41.99 a dozen.  Everything is so overpriced there that I'd like to have the option of picking something up that I may have forgotten or don't want to pay extra baggage fees for.  The drive from Eugene is a little safer.  Sexton Summit has a lot of crashes and, sometimes, weather issues as well.   

37 minutes ago, Lefty_89 said:

Less than 50 days until the next trek (my third time) with a buddy of mine...

Day 1) Pac / Preserve

Day 2) OM / Bandon

Day 3) Pac / Sheep

Day 4) Bandon / Trails

Day 5) Sheep / Trails

Goal will be to eclipse 200 holes on this trip, so extra golf will be played. 😉

Day 3, if you have the legs and light,  looks like a great day to loop back and play 10 holes on Sheep. I assume you followed the short loop posts as there are some pretty cool options.

Edited by 2bGood
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, 2bGood said:

Day 3, if you have the legs and light,  looks like a great day to loop back and play 10 holes on Sheep. I assume you followed the short loop posts as there are some pretty cool options.

Oh, that will definitely be happening! So easy to turn around and go back out. We're staying at Round Lake so the 1-6 loop at Trails will be happening a couple times. Front or back 9 at Bandon also.

Sure looking forward to the 8:15pm sunsets.

On 3/4/2022 at 7:27 PM, VNutz said:

Takeaways from the weekend: the resort is noticeably more busy than previous trips. My last trip was November 2019, and that trip I arrived a day or two early and felt like I had the place to myself. It felt so much more busy this time despite arriving mid-week. Doing things on a whim, be it food, shuttle, golf, wasn't possible anymore; everything needs to be planned ahead of time now. Not a big deal, but it didn't have the same relaxed vibe as before. The range was completely packed most days, to the point of having to wait and stalk out a spot. They really should open the original Bandon range IMO to ease things up.

Thanks for the great write-up. Definitely noticed the resort was busier last summer, and sure that has only increased. I do believe the Covid Golf Boom (or whatever you want to call it) will wane eventually. Still, I doubt Bandon will ever go back to how it was when it was more relaxed.  You would think there should never be a wait at the driving range.  The restaurant/bar issue that you mentioned was very noticeable on my last visit. It's got to be near impossible to staff all of the restaurants/bars there under normal circumstances, let alone in the current labor market. As you mention, you just have to plan ahead more and be patient. It's a big change from how things used to be, but that's the reality. Still can't wait to go back in June.

2 hours ago, Lefty_89 said:

Oh, that will definitely be happening! So easy to turn around and go back out. We're staying at Round Lake so the 1-6 loop at Trails will be happening a couple times. Front or back 9 at Bandon also.

Sure looking forward to the 8:15pm sunsets.

There are some cool short loops on Pac too. 

Heads up to any Bandonistas who might want a long weekend away April 16-19; going to have to cancel a trip. It's the following golf + Lily Pond for the stay.

image.png.1841e5c637315f1aa7e821add511e80d.png

Going to ring in Friday morning, so anyone interested call up Friday lunchtime and you may be in luck.

• Sad 1

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Anyone ever ask their caddie about the US Am issue with the caddie testing the bunker?

Caddie Fail

I meant to see if the loopers could share the story of the aftermath etc. but as I don't take a caddie and try to stay respectfully out of the way caddie/player relationship I have never had the right opportunity or remember to ask about this, but I am sure the caddies have a great story on this one. 

10 hours ago, 2bGood said:

Anyone ever ask their caddie about the US Am issue with the caddie testing the bunker?

Caddie Fail

I meant to see if the loopers could share the story of the aftermath etc. but as I don't take a caddie and try to stay respectfully out of the way caddie/player relationship I have never had the right opportunity or remember to ask about this, but I am sure the caddies have a great story on this one. 

I was told he's not there anymore, and not much else beyond that.

11 hours ago, 2bGood said:

I asked my caddie (who has caddied for me several times and been at Bandon a long time), and he was mostly upset about how it made the Bandon Caddies look in general.  His thoughts were: it's basic knowledge, anyone should have known it, and it made all of the caddies look bad.  I'm not exactly a rules expert and I remember cringing watching it on TV. As has been discussed on this thread, there's been a caddie shortage during the pandemic, and there are more caddies working with limited training & experience.  All the more reason to go with an experienced caddie if you can and share our positive experiences from past BD visits.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2022 at 2:36 PM, soregongolfer said:

I doubt Bandon has ProV1's for $41.99 a dozen.  Everything is so overpriced there that I'd like to have the option of picking something up that I may have forgotten or don't want to pay extra baggage fees for.  The drive from Eugene is a little safer.  Sexton Summit has a lot of crashes and, sometimes, weather issues as well.   

Funny, I can't say I have found things 'overpriced' I found clothes and balls etc, to be close to the going rate. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 2bGood said:

Funny, I can't say I have found things 'overpriced' I found clothes and balls etc, to be close to the going rate. 

Yup, I agree. Also, Prov1s aren't $41 anywhere unless they are an old model, overruns, or a seasonal deal. 

Just looking at the prices of the greyson apparel on the Bandon site and it is priced very well. Save 15 dollars by ordering from bandon instead of greyson on this Hoodie. 😂  Standard $115 polos on Greyson are $115 at Bandon as well. 

Screen Shot 2022-03-22 at 7.44.19 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-22 at 7.44.30 AM.png

Edited by mci711
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, soregongolfer said:

Obviously we shop at different places.  

Likely you're comparing Bandon prices with Fiddler's Green, which is really apples and oranges.

As has been stated, Bandon prices are pretty much MSRP, and higher end brands.  Can you find the same gear cheaper online or at a big discount shop like Fiddler's?  Sure. 

But if you are facing a round in a Howler and you forgot to pack your Gore Tex, the prices don't seem too unreasonable.

• Like 3

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

1 hour ago, ND2005 said:

this is one of the things i love about not just Bandon but all of the Keiser properties. 

Once you get there they aren’t nickel and diming you. 

The F&B and golf shop costs are totally reasonable 

Yes I find this too. I come from a larger urban centre so I find Bandon food prices lower than my local restaurants. 

9 hours ago, spud3 said:

But if you are facing a round in a Howler and you forgot to pack your Gore Tex, the prices don't seem too unreasonable.

Forgetting to pack your GoreTex is a total rookie move. 🙂

I always bring my rain gear and a pair of shoes in my carry on. You can rent clubs if they get misplaced in transit. You don't want to be scrambling for rain gear.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

On 3/8/2022 at 11:14 AM, Slippin_Jimmy said:

Thanks for the great write-up. Definitely noticed the resort was busier last summer, and sure that has only increased. I do believe the Covid Golf Boom (or whatever you want to call it) will wane eventually. Still, I doubt Bandon will ever go back to how it was when it was more relaxed.  You would think there should never be a wait at the driving range.  The restaurant/bar issue that you mentioned was very noticeable on my last visit. It's got to be near impossible to staff all of the restaurants/bars there under normal circumstances, let alone in the current labor market. As you mention, you just have to plan ahead more and be patient. It's a big change from how things used to be, but that's the reality. Still can't wait to go back in June.

When are you there in June?  We're there 24th-27th.  We're actually staying there the night of the 27th, and the guys just want to wake up and drive to Portland to get back to their wives and kids by dinner.  I might stay and play another round Monday morning.

19 hours ago, 2bGood said:

Not to hammer on this but this thread is read by lots of people planning their first trip, so I would not want them led astray. 

Prices for clothes at Bandon tend to be almost to the dollar the manufactures suggested retail price. As pointed out above what the brands sell it for on their own webpage is what Bandon sells it for on site. Given the no sales tax, some things I find are actually cheaper for me at Bandon. Bandon also tends to have a sales rack of last years gear that will be up to 50% off. This is great for rain gear and Gore-tex if you are lucky enough to find what you like. I know guys that skip upgrading their rain gear and buy it there (if needed) as it is the same price anyway. As mentioned though they do tend to stock the higher end brands, but Adidas has been there for years and is usually the lowest price clothes. 

As balls were brought up, this is an area to plan ahead. A sleeve of logo's Pro-V1's is $18. Not an outrageous prices as they sell for $15 normally with no logo. But it is going to get pricey fast as they do not sell Pro-V1's by the dozen.

Now I can't say I lose balls at Bandon and if you want to you will find way more balls than you could ever lose, but a good idea to bring a dozen of your ball of choice. 

Since the sale rack was mentioned, I'll add that the increased play at Bandon seems to have had its impact on the sales racks. At Bandon Dunes the rack was about 1/3 what it used to be in previous years. At Preserve/Trails I couldn't find anything, and at Old Mac it was pretty much only rain gear. In years past there was decent selection of lots of brands and sizes at both of the smaller shops and LOTS at Bandon; very different this time.

On the pricing I find it all more than fair, especially considering what your options might be otherwise should you forget something, nothing. They could really stick it to guests in a pinch, but they elect not to.

50 minutes ago, Chanceman said:

Whats the current situation re restaurants on site? I hear no bookings can be made for McKee's which is walk up. Pacific Grill is ok.  Some new place called The Forge? whats that like? Is there a good pub in the town? Burger bar?

If you plan on eating there and are going soon make reservations asap. McKees downstairs is walk up, upstairs can take reservations. Forge struggled with steaks and other cold food for my large group but my chicken and truffle Mac and cheese was great. Pacific was solid as well. Trails has limited hours. Haven’t ventured into town.

Edited by VNutz

1 hour ago, Chanceman said:

Whats the current situation re restaurants on site? I hear no bookings can be made for McKee's which is walk up. Pacific Grill is ok.  Some new place called The Forge? whats that like? Is there a good pub in the town? Burger bar?

I was there a few weeks ago and McKee’s only takes reservations for groups of eight or more IIRC. Pacific Grill is good and I wish they’d bring back the pork chop.

We tried The Forge but won’t repeat. The steaks were subpar.

Check out Bandon Brewing Company in town for beer and pizza.

WITB

TaylorMade M5 (10.5) Graphite Design Tour AD GP 6 S

Callaway Rogue ST MAX (15) Graphite Design Tour AD F-75 S

Ping G425 (19) Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Pro Orange Hybrid 80 S

Mizuno MP-53 (4-PW, 22-46) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Titleist Vokey SM9 (50.12 F, 54.10 S @ 55, 60.10 S) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Edel McKenzie (35)

2 hours ago, Chanceman said:

Group of 8, McKees took reservations and had upstairs and downstairs. Pacific and Forge also taking reservations. Diners were just okay on this last trip. Forge was pretty good, but overpriced for just pretty good. Pacific was disappointing. McKees was good basic stuff. 

Lunches were very good- excellent. Would recommend some of the sandwiches at Sheep Ranch and Trails as the best food on our last visit. 

Reservation went fast. Don't delay. 

6 hours ago, Chanceman said:

Was there at the same time as @VNutz may have even sat at the table next to his big group at Pacific Grill :P.  We ate at Pacific Grill three nights since the guys liked it so much. Ate at McKee's the first night and Forge one night as well. 

Pacific Grill was easily our favorite, specials were well special and service was great.  They had sturgeon one night, I can't recall the last time I had sturgeon. McKee's was actually great as well, meatloaf, burgers. Forge was meh imo. Though I was the only one to have a steak, everyone else had a tomahawk pork chop that they enjoyed. All the sides at the Forge were good. As far as making reservations , they were booked up when calling in advance but once we were on property we had no problem getting a table especially early (5-6pm). I would have no problem just doing McKee's and Pacific.

G425 Max 9*o w/ RIP Beta
TEE CBX19 16.5*
Sub70 699U 19.5*
P770 5-P
Exo #7