Random Bandon Thread

buzlin

Day 3 

Played Bandon Trails this morning. Teed off at 7:40 and the wind was blowing 15-20mph from the south and we could tell it was going to be a different type of day. The rain started coming down around hole 3 and it stayed with us through about the 11th hole. The course was beautiful, but hard to rank against the others with the difference in conditions. We’re playing it again on Wednesday so I’ll have a better idea of how I feel then. What I will say is the green complexes are the best I’ve seen thus far, and the collection of Par 3s is all world.

Hole 14 should be dynamited however. Hit a great tee ball, was 30 yards in front of the green. Pin was on the left front, hit a little bump and run just left of where I wanted. Rolled down and off the left side, a few other things transpired, walked off with a 7. The hole is just unfair. Between 90% of tee balls having nowhere to go but the same spot and the green being crowned it’s a disaster. If they flattened the left side of green so it just ran over and built up that swale so it just kind of naturally blended up the hill it would be much more playable.

Played Sheep again in the afternoon by myself as my playing partners decided to take the afternoon off. It was fun seeing the course in completely different conditions than the other day. Had the course entirely to myself (which was awesome) until running into 4 foursomes lined up after 11. Decided to call it a day there.

Bandon Dunes for the first time tomorrow at 9:20. Might see what’s available when we’re done and see how much we can squeeze in. 

Will post some more pics tomorrow. Thanks @R4haehl @spud3 @eboettne for the compliments on the pics. They were taken with an older DSLR, Canon 6D. Wide angle shots are with a 16-35mm lens, others are with a 70-200mm lens.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, rouges1922 said:

Hole 14 should be dynamited however.

They've actually softened 14 since it first opened.

I finally figured out how to play it. Blast driver as close as you can and then scramble for birdie/par. Laying up is dumb.

You played it with the right mindset, just chip better!  😜

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

On 2/15/2022 at 5:31 AM, jvincent said:

They've actually softened 14 since it first opened.

I finally figured out how to play it. Blast driver as close as you can and then scramble for birdie/par. Laying up is dumb.

You played it with the right mindset, just chip better!  😜

I love hole 14. I do agree that it can certainly jump up and bite you, but the fun of going for it outweighs that for me. I can understand the opinion though. 

That said, the real hole that needs to be dynamited is 16. Worst hole on the property by far 

• Like 2

On 2/16/2022 at 10:08 AM, dvq9654 said:

I love hole 14. I do agree that it can certainly jump up and bite you, but the fun of going for it outweighs that for me. I can understand the opinion though. 

That said, the real hole that needs to be dynamited is 16. Worst hole on the property by far 

Agreed, I like that 14 is different even though it can be borderline unfair especially for higher handicaps. 16 is just straight uphill and feels like a connecting hole to get you to the clubhouse.  Also the toughest walk on the property IMO 

As the only person in my golfing group with kids out of the house solo trips are very common for me. I haven't done Bandon solo yet, but will probably do it at some point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ND2005 said:

Just booked a trip as a single for Aug 2022. Was shocked I could get availability. Have to change rooms the last night but that's fine with me. 

Super excited - haven't ever done a trip like this solo though...

Congrats and enjoy! I went solo for the first time in December and had a blast. Bandon is like Disney for adults, you'll find plenty of likeminded folks to sit down talk golf, give each other some crap, and have a beer or two  (if that's your thing) with on the course or at McKee's.

I can't wait for my next solo trip.

Edited by snakano
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, spud3 said:

There's lots of threads on solo Bandon trips.

Spoiler alert:  every single one loved the experience...

As much as I enjoy the regular trips with my Bandon-nerd compadres, I still go every year solo, as well.  It's just such a cool thing.

I’m excited. I’m not gonna lie part of my reasoning is that I have a big group trip booked for ‘23 and I want some advance scouting…

I’m used to playing as a single and I’m pretty easy going so I’m not too worried.’

• Like 1

On 2/13/2022 at 7:43 AM, rouges1922 said:

Travel & Day 1 Recap

Well, we made it to Heaven. My god. I didn’t think this place could possibly live up to the hype after waiting for almost two years since we originally planned the trip and had to push it back a year and consuming every video and podcast I could about Bandon, but honestly it has already, and it’s only been one day.

Had a 15 hour travel day in from Detroit on Friday that consisted of a 5 hour flight to Seattle, 6 hour layover, hour flight to Eugene, and about 3 hour drive into Bandon. We stayed at the Best Western Inn at Face Rock (would recommend, great breakast buffet). Got over to the Lodge around 7:30, checked in and headed to the practice facility because none of us had swung a club in months.

Worked through the bag and headed over to the Preserve for a 9:15 tee time. The Preserve is the best Par 3 course out there. There simply cannot be a better one, between the unbeatable views and the quality of golf holes that Coore & Crenshaw put together it is truly amazing. Holed out from the tee box for par on 12 after losing my first tee ball…would have been a lot cooler if it was my first shot, but we take pars any way they come!

After that we went back to the Lodge, grabbed our keys for Chrome Lake (staying 1 night and moving to Lily Pond for the rest of the trip), dropped our gear off, grabbed some food at the Sheep Ranch clubhouse and waited for our 12:50 tee time. Sheep Ranch is amazing, even if lacking in definition due to a lack of bunkers, I loved it. It still just kind of feels like you’re playing in a big field, which I really dug. The views are amazing! Pace of play was perfect, finished in about 4 hours.

Weather was absurdly perfect, 67° and sunny, zero wind, amazing day. Best weather we’ll have all trip. 

Wrapped up the day with pizza at McKee’s…it was okay…we’re kind of spoiled coming from Detroit in regards to pizza though.

I took tons of photos that I’ll be posting on a new instagram account I created just for the trip @bandonorbust. I just dumped a bunch of photos in the stories for now, will be posting them to the feed when I have time to edit them a little. I’ll attach a few of my favorites here for now though.

Today’s rounds:
Pacific at 8:30AM

Preserve at 1:30PM

DEBAF246-D2AD-4A4C-9806-5DCDA8D86C3C.jpeg

7A52FA68-43A0-41C3-BBF2-45B3FCA3B7F7.jpeg

160006FB-89B8-4C51-9311-EBACD8B7540B.jpeg

9BAA88E0-0855-46BE-A52F-0243697D314C.jpeg

E8A745A3-D7E1-4ABE-901C-F902DA7A9430.jpeg

9F81056D-DCD9-48B9-8B16-83C6E64ECCF4.jpeg

6A8F18D7-11BC-4EF9-B60E-65F0DD506E5E.jpeg

16786C37-8DB4-48BB-AA93-CB5BF6AC0514.jpeg

599CA16C-94B2-4FC6-AD20-E7906AE35696.jpeg

28DC2B46-56F2-43C8-B1A3-C8476D66F46B.jpeg

6FE5D91E-0A60-45EE-87D7-BB8FC0D541D5.jpeg

6CCD8895-4975-42BD-A73C-94428974E53E.jpeg

942DC435-98C1-4936-AE71-CEC669126631.jpeg

09A902D6-F2F3-4813-A7CB-AC8FA63C5D3A.jpeg

440D72E0-B11A-4AC0-8A00-5A11F96E9A1A.jpeg

Wow, some of the best photos I've seen posted here, you've got one heck of an eye for a shot. 

• Like 1

Bandon, final recap.

After an exhausting 6 days, 199 holes, and days worth of travel home, I can say I’ve never been so happy to be exhausted in my life. I decided to play as much golf as I possibly could, which went 31, 31, 29, 36, 36, 36. My feet were completely spent, right heel feels like someone beat it with a hammer, but hey, it’s Bandon, right? But I feel fine otherwise.

We had sun, warmth (67°!), fog, mist, cold, smoke (someone north was doing some serious burning), rain, and wind (20-25mph our last day) over the week so I think we got a pretty full experience aside from torrential downpours. 

Final thoughts on courses…

Bandon - favorite course, great layout and variety, challenging in wind, more forgiving without. I had seen hundreds of pictures of 16 before going…none of them adequately capture how you feel coming up off of 15 green and seeing that view for the first time.

Best shot: Hybrid dead into the wind on 15, 200 yard club playing to 160, landed left side, rolled down to about 6 feet. Had two tap in birdies on other holes on another day, but with no wind and a wedge in hand.

Favorite Hole: 16

Pacific - T2 with Trails & Old MacDonald. Beautiful course, end is a little bit of a let down. Middle stretch 4-13 is truly all world though. Probably my favorite overall looking course, but my god, get out of position and you are in trouble. With that being said I did get up and down from a bunker left on 7 and the greenside one on 17 to a front pin location, so that felt good. Actually made par on 17 twice without hitting the green either time.

Best shot: 8 iron into the wind on #5, hit the hill on the left side and rolled down to tap in range.

Favorite Hole: 13

Trails - Astonishingly beautiful, peaceful course. When you’re out there, you feel like you’re the only people on the course…or planet. Magnificent layout, hell of a walk. Greens were in rough shape…a lot of barren areas. 14 is a disaster, but pretty to look at. 16 is a beast, but truly a beauty to see.

Best shot: Hit two wedges into 8 to tap in range, one with the pin in the front and one with the pin the back…both were preceded by a double on 7…cheers for getting one back, right?

Favorite Hole: 17

Old MacDonald - Absolutely loved the course and it’s variety. Found it to be the most forgiving of all the courses. Interesting to see the different templates and Doak/Urbina’s interpretation of them. My buddy hit an iron to 4 inches on the Redan, landed 20 feet short, right and ran down the hill. We thought it went in, but was sitting directly behind the pin on the lower left. The snack shack at the back of 7 is where I plan to retire and work 20 hours a week, strictly in the afternoon, in 25 years. 

Best shot: Hit a wedge up the hill on 14 from next to the massive bunker on the left to a left pin to within 2 feet for birdie while two employees let me play through in the evening.

Favorite hole: 7.

Sheep Ranch: Let me start by saying, while it’s my least favorite, it’s still a great course, and it’s still above any other course I’ve played not at Bandon. Amazing views, I mean truly amazing views. A bit repetitive and lacking in visual interest off the tee on many holes. I get why they have grass bunkers there, but I think it hurts the overall aesthetic of the course. Also, while I like how wide open it is, I think fescue or marram grass separating the holes could bring some visual interest and definition to the course. It’s a fun course to play as is though, just did not connect with me as much as the others. 

Best shot: After pulling my tee ball badly, more of a missed duck hook left near the gorse, I hit a hybrid blind over the hill in front of the green to a front pin leaving me about 8 feet for birdie, missed the putt, loved the par. 

Favorite hole: 1.

Preserve - Best par 3 course there is out there, I don’t even need to look elsewhere. With a shocking amount of elevation change for a short course (becomes very apparent from 17 on Bandon), artfully crafted, interesting greens, beautiful bunkering, and some of the best views on property it truly is amazing.

Best shot: Holed out from the tee for Par on 12 after thinning my first shot to who knows where. 

Favorite hole: 9.

I will be posting more pics here, just didn’t have the time or energy to do so the last fews days on property.

Lastly, I just want to say THANK YOU to a bunch of people who I’ve never met or know at all, that being all of you. I would have never planned such a great trip or even had the impetus to get a couple buddies to make the trek if not for reading the previous 84 pages and how many ever posts here and elsewhere on golfWRX. All of your posts, and advice played such a big role with making our trip such a great success that we’re already talking about when we can come back. So thank you, truly.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, rouges1922 said:

Bandon, final recap.

After an exhausting 6 days, 199 holes, and days worth of travel home, I can say I’ve never been so happy to be exhausted in my life. I decided to play as much golf as I possibly could, which went 31, 31, 29, 36, 36, 36. My feet were completely spent, right heel feels like someone beat it with a hammer, but hey, it’s Bandon, right? But I feel fine otherwise.

I commend you on your all-in, hardcore schedule. Well done.

On 2/17/2022 at 10:39 AM, eboettne said:

Agreed, I like that 14 is different even though it can be borderline unfair especially for higher handicaps. 16 is just straight uphill and feels like a connecting hole to get you to the clubhouse.  Also the toughest walk on the property IMO 

I like both 14 and 16 quite a bit!

Remember someone asking about gifts a while back - think I replied to it but don't remember, anyways got an email, here's what and who you can contact:

I am writing to follow up on my previous email regarding custom merchandise for your upcoming trip to Bandon Dunes Golf Resort.

If you are interested in purchasing any merchandise for your group, we should work to finalize these details soon. Keep in mind that custom orders require longer lead times and some options may not be available.

·         Custom apparel orders require a minimum 5 week lead time.

·         Custom or group merchandise orders placed within 2 weeks of arrival will be considered on a case by case basis.

·         Any orders requesting custom embroidery must be placed within 12 business days of arrival.

To inquire about group or custom merchandise orders, please respond to this email (<[email protected]>) or contact --- If you have any questions about the merchandise options we have available please let me know how I can be of assistance!

https://www.bandondunesgolf.com/group-gift-ideas

Kind Regards

Edited by duffer987

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

4 hours ago, duffer987 said:

Remember someone asking about gifts a while back - think I replied to it but don't remember, anyways got an email, here's what and who you can contact:

I am writing to follow up on my previous email regarding custom merchandise for your upcoming trip to Bandon Dunes Golf Resort.

If you are interested in purchasing any merchandise for your group, we should work to finalize these details soon. Keep in mind that custom orders require longer lead times and some options may not be available.

·         Custom apparel orders require a minimum 5 week lead time.

·         Custom or group merchandise orders placed within 2 weeks of arrival will be considered on a case by case basis.

·         Any orders requesting custom embroidery must be placed within 12 business days of arrival.

To inquire about group or custom merchandise orders, please respond to this email (<[email protected]>) or contact --- If you have any questions about the merchandise options we have available please let me know how I can be of assistance!

https://www.bandondunesgolf.com/group-gift-ideas

Kind Regards

I did this for the first time this year.  Going with a first timer buddy.  I emailed about a minimum and there isn’t one. Ordered 2 towels embroidered with our names on them.  They will be at the front desk the day we check in and will be billed to me when we get there.  Really easy and neat. 

Can't say I have much to add, but did another February trip - 12 rounds and 6 nights. Was ?lucky? to catch some great weather. Not sure if it was luck though, as I a have been going the 2nd week for February every few years for years about 15years and have maybe one or two bad days. I had not been to Bandon for three years, and the resort is still great and running as well as ever. Sheep Ranch was a worthy addition. I have now given up on ranking courses as the more I play them and understand each course the more I like each of them. Bandon, Pacific, Old Mac have all been my number 1 course in the past. I think I left this trip with Trails and SR as potential number 1's? 

Edited by 2bGood

1 hour ago, eboettne said:

May be my favorite picture of hole 14 I've ever seen, really shows how penal that green is @rouges1922

11269652-77FC-40B6-B70E-56A47145D161.jpeg

Thanks. I hit two great drives and left with some crooked numbers both times. My buddy did make par to that back hole location during our second round though, so maybe I just need to suck less. I did find that it’s a little easier to hang up on the left than I thought it would be…aka, not every tee ball ends up in the same spot. 

On 2/21/2022 at 1:30 PM, oregongolf said:

I take a 16 man group every February. A mix of industry guys, golf pros, etc. Tons of fun with some mild debauchery mixed in. Mostly lower handicap guys, but all Bandon vets. We play for a perpetual, traveling trophy bag.

We were there 2/10 - 2/13. As good of consecutive weather days as we have ever had. Saturday at Bandon Dunes might have been in my top 3 days ever at Bandon.

Thursday, Day 1: Old Mac

Friday, Day 2: Trails, followed by last tee times at Preserve
Saturday, Day 3: Bandon Dunes

Sunday, Day 4: Pacific Dunes

I always mention this: if you are going with a large group, the most fun you can have on the entire property is at the Preserve, Shorty's, and the Punchbowl.

We had all 16 of us at Preserve finishing at sunset in a skins/KP game and it was insane, but so fun. At PB, we ran two man (A/B), alternate shot. Not sure you can have more fun on a putting green than that.

Greens are getting a bit spotty with poa at Old Mac... a bit bumpier now and harder to putt than in years past. About half of the greens at Trails had some issues as well. I know they'll get cleaned up before too long. Some friends who loop there said they were much worse even a month ago. Courses are in great shape otherwise though. 

All in all, the best trip we have had in a number of years.

Here's a few pics from the trip.

20220211_180336.jpg

20220212_122233.jpg

20220212_155204.jpg

unnamed.jpg

unnamed1.jpg

unnamed2.jpg

unnamed3.jpg

I did 6 nights at the resort in November and something you said really resonated. We did 36, 36, 36, 18 + preserve, and 36 for our five days on site. HOWEVER, four of us broke off on the second day and did a 10:30 tee time at Sheep and then messed around at the punch bowl until it got dark. Sleeping in a bit, getting a relaxed breakfast, and then grabbing a drink with friends on the Punch Bowl made it my favorite day on site. Don't underestimate how fun a day like that can be.  I know I did before going to Bandon. 

Edited by XHoop24
Typo
  • Like 1

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid

Ping G 430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Cleveland HB Soft 11S