Random Bandon Thread

buzlin

2 hours ago, rouges1922 said:

Just tried to book as a single for 3-4 days in 2023 and was told they don’t have lodging available for more than a night or possibly 2 available for the entire year. So, unfortunately, my return to Bandon will be pushed much further than I had hoped.

Def would just grab one of those days/nights - you can play day of and day after at the resort rate; stay in town and play at the non-resort rate (ends up similar).

@puttnforthe8 @spud3 I’m thinking of doing that, but a little nervous because I’m coming from Michigan, so there’s a lot of moving parts (flight, rental car, off property hotel, etc.) that I’d be planning around with hopes of getting tee times within 21 days.

To those who have scheduled within 21 days, how’s your luck been getting tee times you were looking for? Were you able to schedule 36 hole days?

Just now, rouges1922 said:

@puttnforthe8 @spud3 I’m thinking of doing that, but a little nervous because I’m coming from Michigan, so there’s a lot of moving parts (flight, rental car, off property hotel, etc.) that I’d be planning around with hopes of getting tee times within 21 days.

To those who have scheduled within 21 days, how’s your luck been getting tee times you were looking for? Were you able to schedule 36 hole days?

I never had issues as a single....disclaimer:  pre-covid!  Went in 2021 as twosome and had no issues getting tee times if we wanted to play again.   Also, if you are coming in the summer - then there is always the longer days which provide a greater oppty for mix of times.

Hopefully someone more recent can give you some good info.   

I just got back from my latest trip last Monday. I was there for 5 days, played 8 rounds, and booked them a week before I flew. I stayed in an AirBnB in North Bend.  It was a piece of cake.

As a single it's very easy to get times.

• Like 2

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

4 hours ago, rouges1922 said:

Just my experience, but I’ve booked as a single twice during Covid and haven’t had any issue getting tee times - especially if you’re flexible about which days you’re playing the courses you want to play. Once was September 2021 and the other was a month ago.

If you’re concerned about tee time availability, you could look into the “Premium Day Guest” rates. I believe you can book those several months in advance even if you’re not staying on property. They’re $50 more for the first 18 of the day, but replay is the same as a regular day guest rate.

4 hours ago, rouges1922 said:

Only extra moving part from your previous trip is to leave the motel in Bandon Town about 15 minutes earlier than you would be getting a shuttle from your on-site room.  The resort is a 10 minute drive from town, and it's not at all complicated.  You may even find that you like having the car there as a rolling locker room.  What month are you wanting to go?

As stated above, as a single, you should have no issues getting tee times; depending on time of year and day of the week, but even during high season, you should be fine.  You may not get your pick of when you play each course (especially morning rounds) but you'll not be left without a round.  Just keep calling and as one opens up that fits your schedule, grab it.  Leave the second round of each day for whatever course happens to be open.  Kind of a fun way to let the golf gods pick your afternoon round.  When you come in from the morning round, stop at the pro shop and ask 'what's open for the afternoon?'

Fear not.  We do this all the time....

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

9 hours ago, puttnforthe8 said:

Def would just grab one of those days/nights - you can play day of and day after at the resort rate; stay in town and play at the non-resort rate (ends up similar).

agreed. Do this and also get on waitlist for rooms the rest of your desired window. Would bet dollars to donuts a room will open up. 

Thanks for all the replies guys. I called back last evening and while I was on the phone booking a room for one night as suggested earlier the reservationist had a cancellation come through two nights later after she had looked weeks forward for lodging, so I was able to book rooms for March 8th and 10th with the following itinerary. When the time gets within 21 days I’m going to add golf on the 7th as well, probably Old Mac and Trails.

8th - Bandon 7:30, Sheep 1:10

9th - Pacific 7:30, Bandon 12:50

10th - Pacific 7:50, Old Mac 1:00

11th - Preserve 9:00, Trails 11:00

10 months and counting…

• Like 2

Thanks for all the replies guys. I called back last evening and while I was on the phone booking a room for one night as suggested earlier the reservationist had a cancellation come through two nights later after she had looked weeks forward for lodging, so I was able to book rooms for March 8th and 10th with the following itinerary. When the time gets within 21 days I’m going to add golf on the 7th as well, probably Old Mac and Trails.

8th - Bandon 7:30, Sheep 1:10

9th - Pacific 7:30, Bandon 12:50

10th - Pacific 7:50, Old Mac 1:00

11th - Preserve 9:00, Trails 11:00

10 months and counting…

Like I said, I'd bet money rooms will open up for your whole trip. You just may have to switch rooms once or twice. 

Their customer service is really remarkable in this aspect - I have a trip lined up as a single and my only complaint (minor one) was that I have to switch rooms one time. But sure enough, they kept an eye on things and called me with a cancellation, so now I have the same room the whole time. 

1 hour ago, ND2005 said:

Like I said, I'd bet money rooms will open up for your whole trip. You just may have to switch rooms once or twice. 

Their customer service is really remarkable in this aspect - I have a trip lined up as a single and my only complaint (minor one) was that I have to switch rooms one time. But sure enough, they kept an eye on things and called me with a cancellation, so now I have the same room the whole time. 

Yeah their customer service is top notch. She said they would let me know if/when something opens up and try to ensure if things do open I won’t have to change rooms. I was there in February and we had to switch rooms, which we thought would suck but when we checked in they told us just to leave our luggage by the door and they’d take it to our new room for us to save us the hassle. Sure enough, came back after our rounds and it was waiting for us. 

• Like 1

We just got back from our tenth trip last week.  Scored on the weather, though perhaps a bit too benign wind wise....... 🙂

We played SR twice last year, with most of our group liking it (there was weather and fog).  I held out judgement and perhaps caught some flack about not really liking it.  Not being a golf architect, sometimes I'm not able to clearing articulate my rationale for liking or disliking a course.  Rather leaving it up to a feeling (separating it from how I played as much as possible).  So, fast forward to this year, we had two rounds scheduled on SR.  After the first round, half of us switched to Trails, and half played SR again.  Like others have mentioned, SR feels repetitive and CROWDED.  We played Trails at a leisurely 4 hrs, without any pressure or pressuring.  Our other group waited on every tee, and took 4:45!!! For those who have played SR, it's the fastest round on property.

Take this for what it's worth.  The guys who replayed SR are relative newbies/first timers and also high cappers.  

SR moved below OM for me.  PD stayed up top.

Carry on!

• Like 1

G430 LST 9
G410 14.5
G410 19, 22
245, 5-gw
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
LAB Mezz Max

My rankings are as follows

1.  Bandon Dunes

2. Pac Dunes

3.  Sheep Ranch

4.  Bandon Trails

5.  Old Mac

With that being said these are the 5 best golf courses I have ever played in my life and that says alot considering I have played Whistling Straits (all courses), Erin Hills, Sand Valley, Mammouth Dunes, Streamsong Courses, Arcadia Bluffs, Oakland Hills South, Forest Dunes, Bay Harbor and to many others to list.

Yes...Bandon is simply that good and all the courses will blow you away!

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*

Ping G425 5 Hybrid 26*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

Just back from Bandon. On the question of tee times, our group wanted to change the original tee time on four of our five days and the pro shop was able to do it each time. So I think it must be a piece of cake to find a spot somewhere as a single.

Re the ratings, I actually liked SR and put it above OM.

Now I also derate PD a spot or two - it just does not grab me - and now prefer BT and BD. So

1. B Trails

2. B Dunes

3. Pac Dunes

4. SR

5. OM

10 hours ago, mci711 said:

Bandon forecast 2 days out means nothing. Thursday could end up being the best day! 😂

Very true!

9 hours ago, CDM said:

Was just out in the Corvallis / Newport area visiting family the last 4 days and it rained the whole time. Was Bandon the same or did it miss it?   The wind and rain was brutal at times.

Apparently it was horrible here. Wind and rain Saturday and they had some hail yesterday.

42 minutes ago, dbornack said:

What are some of the VERY off-the-beaten path secrets that are out there to be discovered at any of the courses, lodge, restaurants, etc.?

Like the Liquor/Knickknack Cooler/Box on 10 on BD, etc.? 

Going in 6 weeks, and don't want to miss a thing!

I don't know if it's that "off the beaten path" as it is mentioned in the Dream Golf book, but there is the Keiser tee on Bandon Dunes #17.  It is off to the right of the fairway, along the ridge of the bank.  Our caddie last fall told us that Mike Keiser thought 17 should have been a par 3, of about 165 yards of the gulley as the creek ridge juts out.  I guess the grass on the unused tee box is maintained somewhat and Keiser plays 17 as a par 3 when he plays Bandon.  We played tee shots from there in the very darkish dusk on our walk back in after bailing after holing out on #16.  

Not sure if this was mentioned earlier, but it appears that the 2023 green fees are now posted for May to December of 2023.  Is this new?  When I booked our Nov '23 trip in early December, the 2023 green fees that were posted only covered through April of '23.  The lodging rates for May to Dec '23 are still not posted.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, T2GRNN2 said:

I don't know if it's that "off the beaten path" as it is mentioned in the Dream Golf book, but there is the Keiser tee on Bandon Dunes #17.  It is off to the right of the fairway, along the ridge of the bank.  Our caddie last fall told us that Mike Keiser thought 17 should have been a par 3, of about 165 yards of the gulley as the creek ridge juts out.  I guess the grass on the unused tee box is maintained somewhat and Keiser plays 17 as a par 3 when he plays Bandon.  We played tee shots from there in the very darkish dusk on our walk back in after bailing after holing out on #16.  

I'm about 2/3 through the book - but I must've missed that detail..  good to know, I'll try to remember.

2 minutes ago, dbornack said:

I'm about 2/3 through the book - but I must've missed that detail..  good to know, I'll try to remember.

I missed it in the book as well.  It was our caddie who said is was mentioned in the book.  With certainty, the tee box existed in Nov as our group hit from there on our second round.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, T2GRNN2 said:

Not sure if this was mentioned earlier, but it appears that the 2023 green fees are now posted for May to December of 2023.  Is this new?  When I booked our Nov '23 trip in early December, the 2023 green fees that were posted only covered through April of '23.  The lodging rates for May to Dec '23 are still not posted.  

I think it's new that the only posted through April last November when they expanded the booking window.  I know in years past you could book with rates TBD.  Also strange they only posted greens fees and not lodging rates, I recall them always coming together.

Gotta say, 2023 increases are not unexpected but still disappointing.   I guess there is no place to hide from inflation.

3 hours ago, dbornack said:

What are some of the VERY off-the-beaten path secrets that are out there to be discovered at any of the courses, lodge, restaurants, etc.?

Like the Liquor/Knickknack Cooler/Box on 10 on BD, etc.? 

Going in 6 weeks, and don't want to miss a thing!

Shouldn't be saying this but....

9 o'clock 9th green (Bandon)...Secret of the pros. Wear something nice. 

Happy Gilmore Cinema Supremo GIF

• Haha 2

New to Golf WRX but was lurking a bit in this thread to get me all excited for my trip to Bandon middle of April 2022. I took my gopro and made a video of three lefties and a righty trying to go as low as possible. Played Tetherow in Bend the day before we arrived in Bandon, in Bend it was like 39 degrees, 25+ mph winds, snow, rain and hail. That course was TOUGH from the backs.  

It was a lot harder taking video on the course than I would have thought. Started out with a lot of video day one at Bandon (Old Mac & Sheep Ranch) and then kind of forgot about it and worried about my game and took some here and there. Hope you guys enjoy it: Bandon Dunes - April 2022 (make sure to switch the settings so its as close to 4K as possible; I'm Andy "Moving Day" Sochax in the video if you're curious)

Courses played:

Day 1: Old Mac & Sheep Ranch

Day 2: Bandon Dunes & Bandon Trails & Punchbowl

Day 3: Sheep Ranch & Pac Dunes

Day 4: Pac Dunes & Bandon Preserve

If you can get there, get there, one of my new favorite places to travel to for golf!

Edited by Sochax92
  • Like 4

In February 2023, I have planned a Bandon trip with an entire foursome. Up to this point it's just myself and a diehard golf trip buddy that have been the past 2 times. My buddy and I usually play match play(I give him 4 bumps a side) for a drink on each side. 

I wanted to create some sort of Ryder Cup style match(2v2) for the 3 days we'll be there(36/day), anyone have experience doing this or what would you recommend? Plan to buy a cheap trophy and maybe some thrift store jackets for the winners to wear the last night at dinner and to bring home. 

1 hour ago, eboettne said:

In February 2023, I have planned a Bandon trip with an entire foursome. Up to this point it's just myself and a diehard golf trip buddy that have been the past 2 times. My buddy and I usually play match play(I give him 4 bumps a side) for a drink on each side. 

I wanted to create some sort of Ryder Cup style match(2v2) for the 3 days we'll be there(36/day), anyone have experience doing this or what would you recommend? Plan to buy a cheap trophy and maybe some thrift store jackets for the winners to wear the last night at dinner and to bring home. 

2 v 2 makes it a little difficult as you don't really mix up pairings / matchups. We've always done an individual format with 4. But if you'd like to go 2v2 you could mix up the teams each round, make each "match" worth 1 point (ties get half a point) and the winner is the individual with most points at the end of the weekend. Or keep the 2 teams the same the whole weekend with same scoring. Games we play during a Ryder Cup format (everything is net and everyone has to have a GHIN):

1. 2 man quota
  2. 2 man hi lo
  3. Could do an alt shot / Chapman on Shortys. Probably not something you want to do on one of the main courses. 
  4. 2 man best ball match
  5. 2 man best ball aggey / 2nd ball tie break
  6. Last round is always singles matches. 

^^ Some of these might be called different things depending on where you play / who you play with. Shoot me a dm if you're not familiar. 

We're doing a 8 man trip to Gamble Sands this weekend and made up a game called "Money Ball." Before each hole, you pick which one of the 2 teammates balls is the money ball. It's the 2 money balls playing match play each hole, 2nd teammate's ball is tie breaker so they don't feel out of the hole on the tee. Each player has to be the money ball for 9 holes. I have no idea if it will be fun or not, but we wanted to try something new. 

We throw $100 - $200 in as a bet for the weekend and then pay out the team that wins the match (~5-10% of the overall pot) and the remainder goes to the team that wins overall. The goal is to have a little juice on the line, but not so much people aren't having fun. There are guys in our group that would rather bump the amount up significantly, but no sense in being at Bandon and sweating that much over a 4' and not enjoying yourself. We just encourage those guys to have some side action if they'd like. Plus we're playing poker / dice in the bunker bar each night, so money changes hands. 

And then we throw in $20 each in for the round on the Preserve or whatever the par 3 is we're playing that weekend (Quicksands in this weekend's case). $1/pp kps (have to make par for it to pay) and the remainder is a "birdie pot." Each birdie you make gets you 1 share, divide the pot up evenly. 

Callaway Epic Speed- 8*

Callaway Rogue 5w

Srixon ZX7 3-PW

Titleist SM9- 50*, 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Titleist ProV1