2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Koepka defends title; shows charisma with fist pump; glfwrx goes wild

tiderider

> @bspn said:

> BK has just owned this course and there's no way he comes back far enough for any of the chasers to realistically take him down. His shot tracer is something to behold - it's just darts no matter what club he has in his hands. With the move to May, I think he's a good shot of dominating the PGA for years to come if they set the courses up at a similar length, as there's only a few players who can live with him on these 7,500+ courses with penal rough and soft conditions (only Kiawah stands out in the next 5 years) and those guys are much streakier

> @bspn said:

> BK has just owned this course and there's no way he comes back far enough for any of the chasers to realistically take him down. His shot tracer is something to behold - it's just darts no matter what club he has in his hands. With the move to May, I think he's a good shot of dominating the PGA for years to come if they set the courses up at a similar length, as there's only a few players who can live with him on these 7,500+ courses with penal rough and soft conditions (only Kiawah stands out in the next 5 years) and those guys are much streakier

How about that stupid little picture in picture of the driver with larger shot tracer that isn’t even close to the real ball flight ... and what is with not be able to find the ball

Lance Barrow is awful

> @"Darth Putter" said:

> Get to know Jazz Janewattananond

>

> http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/26776368/say-hello-jazz-janewattananond-ok-call-jazz

>

> https://www.golfdigest.com/story/pga-championship-2019-who-is-jazz-janewattananond-and-whats-he-doing-on-the-leader-board-at-bethpage

>

>

> Not bad for turning pro at age 14

Cool story about his caddie, he has a local caddy on his bag and is getting a lot of love from the local fans.

Also, I've watched a lot of Asian and European tour golf on the NBC app.... he's been on the come up this past year. I think he won a tournament in Asia with Stenson and Rose(?) playing in it.

> @ebrasmus21 said:

> > @sbjinx said:

> > > @ebrasmus21 said:

> > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > @tiderider said:

> > > > > if you're a golfer and passionate about the game, why does 'charisma' of the winner matter? ... i just don't get that ...

> > > >

> > > > It’s more than that.

> > > >

> > > > You’d prefer the guy profess to “ love the game “. Not “ wish he was playing baseball “. Your also prefer that he didn’t say “ I love these fans. Makes it feel like a real sporting event “. Insinuating #1 that those fans are ok and should be the norm .. and #2 that golf isn’t a real sport. As a former athlete in 2 sports ( track and field and basketball ) i can assure you that tournament golf is a sport. I don’t appreciate his attitude that basically says “ I’ll dominate this sport cause it’s easy , but I wish I was playing baseball “ schtick. I admire his ability. But I feel like he slaps the game in the face not showing respect for the game . I fear it slaps him back at some point if his tune continues.

> > > >

> > > > Maybe it’s all an act ? Sure. I’ve thought about that. But it’s tired either way.

> > >

> > > Agreed.

> >

> > Or “I get bored during my round” and pretty much sounds like he’d rather be doing anything but play gold.

> >

> > After listening to the Barstool sports interview it seems like 1) he’s trying really hard to be too cool for school and pretending like he isn’t into golf, or 2) he really isn’t into golf. Either way he’s really talented and smoking the field but I just can’t get behind the guy.

>

> The fact that Brooksie dosen’t seem to even have passion for the game probably makes what he does all the more impressive. As impressive as it is his attitude does nothing to inspire as “Arnie’s Army” felt inspired by Arnold.

>

> Brooks is immensely talented - everyone can see that. But he doesn’t inspire the way that forefathers before him have.

He does have that dude bro look and demeanor for sure

> @imakaveli said:

> How will the course play? wide or narrow? rough? greens stupid hard or reachable?

Been on the course all day for a few days. Its definitely easier rough than the US Open variants. A bit tougher than the Barclays version but not much a greens have got too good a soaking.

The wind 10-20ish is a factor playing the doglegs esp. as most pros a flighting the ball based on their strategy. Some are hitting below trees, some shaping arounnd trees yet others staying below the trees. Wind gaps around the greens are changing net distances leading to more missed greens and fairways.

Rain was/is causinglo, narly rough has caused many a sore wrist inc. P65/> @JMoroz said:

> > @"Darth Putter" said:

> > PGA Champions Dinner

> > 0lwt6xgj59ws.png

> > not exactly The Masters is it?

> >

> John Daly choose to go to the local Hooters instead?

Don't laugh but yes he's there w/ his RV.

a Cobra KingLtd 9* Black Smoke 6.5 45"
b Ping g400 9* SpeederPro TSx84 45"
c TM 17M1 460 9.5* Matrix BlackTie X 45"

Titleist TS2 15* Hzrdus Green S 1"tip
Cobra BafflerPro19* SpeederProS .5"tip
Cobra Baffler RailH23* SpeederProS

a Callaway Apex 5-pw ProjectX 6.0 +.5"
b Callaway x20 Tour 5-pw ProjectX 6.0 +.5"
Vokey Sm7 raw aw51*, sw56*, lw60*
Cameron FuturaX SuperStroke Fatso5.0

> @youdamantiger said:

> I agree with you in part. Brooks is a hard guy to root for if you're steeped in the traditions, majesty, and ephemeral beauty of the game of golf. He's entirely too dismissive of the game that's granted him riches and fame beyond his wildest dreams. For all the talk about how he's "jacked" and an "athlete," if he tried to play any other sport professionally he would get thoroughly embarrassed. All the great players of the past, including Tiger, have shown respect for the game itself. Brooks always tries to play it off like being a pro golfer is a joke and he's too good for it. For instance, yesterday the announcers were talking about how Brooks does bench press for reps before his tournament rounds and when asked if it was wise to be doing that and risking injury he said "I'm playing golf for five hours, I'm not worried about injury."

>

> I'm not asking for him to display false humility because that wouldn't be who he is and fans would see right through it. But a more magnanimous attitude toward the game we all love is not asking too much I feel.

>

> I disagree with you about watching him play however. It's exciting to see an individual so proficient at something so difficult even if I'm not 100% in love with the guy's attitude.

Brooks said he wasn't worried about it because it's not an injury risk. And he admits that walking around a golf course isn't, either. The narrative that these gym sessions are otherwordly is tired, and I'm glad Brooks doesn't buy into the media trying to force feed the "he's a linebacker" stuff.

Fans would much rather a guy like Tiger tell them that playing golf is the most grueling event physically in human history so they can keep talking about his win in the 2008 US Open with his torn ACL and "broken leg".

• Like 1

> @"Darth Putter" said:

> Get to know Jazz Janewattananond

>

> http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/26776368/say-hello-jazz-janewattananond-ok-call-jazz

>

> https://www.golfdigest.com/story/pga-championship-2019-who-is-jazz-janewattananond-and-whats-he-doing-on-the-leader-board-at-bethpage

>

>

> Not bad for turning pro at age 14

Great read.

Hopefully he can have a good final round.

> @PZero said:

> Congrats on the record Phil. 1,397

>

> 37uml80hy6ko.png

>

Lol. Phil is a great listen or look on Instagram. I’m not on there. But my wife follows him and updates me. I cracked up with the record thumbs up and soaking his thumbs in Epsom salts. Lol.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @" SwooshLT" said:

> > @Forged4ever said:

> > What I’ve always liked about Brooks(go back a few years prior to his first major) is that he is the closest to Tiger in his mental game/psyche.

> >

> > He may not bring his “A” game and you may beat him on the board, but he’s got the shortest memory on Tour and the best focus and his confidence is through the roof, though he’s reserved and not arrogant about it.

> >

> > In my second post on him(again, prior to his winning his first Big’n), I stated that if he stayed healthy, one, he’d win more Majors than Rory and two, he’d win 7-8 of em, haha

> >

> > I still stand by both of those statements?

> >

> > I remember two of you specifically who while you were kind, well, one commented that I must have been high on my meds when I posted(Actually I wasn’t, lol) and the other said that I overrated the mental game(he’s posted in this thread?), lmao???

> >

> > I did t even respond to that latter comment, cuz WTF, how do you respond to something like that???

> >

> > Anyhoo, I hope that he keeps the pedal pressed and keeps going

> >

> > Playing when you’re blowing the field away is one, not a regular occurrence on Tour and secondly, something that is an art into and unto itself and for many, excluding Tiger, this is virgin territory.

> >

> > That being said, Brooksy ain’t DJ or Jordan so I wouldn’t bet against him?

> >

> > Stay well my Friends?

> > RP

>

> Names Rich or it didn't happen! Lol

It didn’t happen, lmao ?

Enjoy the final round & have a great week Brother?

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friend?

Richard

• Like 1

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

> @lowheel said:

> > @ebrasmus21 said:

> > > @sbjinx said:

> > > > @ebrasmus21 said:

> > > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > > @tiderider said:

> > > > > > if you're a golfer and passionate about the game, why does 'charisma' of the winner matter? ... i just don't get that ...

> > > > >

> > > > > It’s more than that.

> > > > >

> > > > > You’d prefer the guy profess to “ love the game “. Not “ wish he was playing baseball “. Your also prefer that he didn’t say “ I love these fans. Makes it feel like a real sporting event “. Insinuating #1 that those fans are ok and should be the norm .. and #2 that golf isn’t a real sport. As a former athlete in 2 sports ( track and field and basketball ) i can assure you that tournament golf is a sport. I don’t appreciate his attitude that basically says “ I’ll dominate this sport cause it’s easy , but I wish I was playing baseball “ schtick. I admire his ability. But I feel like he slaps the game in the face not showing respect for the game . I fear it slaps him back at some point if his tune continues.

> > > > >

> > > > > Maybe it’s all an act ? Sure. I’ve thought about that. But it’s tired either way.

> > > >

> > > > Agreed.

> > >

> > > Or “I get bored during my round” and pretty much sounds like he’d rather be doing anything but play gold.

> > >

> > > After listening to the Barstool sports interview it seems like 1) he’s trying really hard to be too cool for school and pretending like he isn’t into golf, or 2) he really isn’t into golf. Either way he’s really talented and smoking the field but I just can’t get behind the guy.

> >

> > The fact that Brooksie dosen’t seem to even have passion for the game probably makes what he does all the more impressive. As impressive as it is his attitude does nothing to inspire as “Arnie’s Army” felt inspired by Arnold.

> >

> > Brooks is immensely talented - everyone can see that. But he doesn’t inspire the way that forefathers before him have.

>

> He does have that dude bro look and demeanor for sure

Bro Koepka

• Like 1

Not sure if this has been discussed, but how did the PGA determine who would play with Brooks today? Seems as if putting DJ with Brooks would have made for the best TV.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB

Let’s go HV3! Maybe the perfect dude to be there. He said on post round that Brooks dominant play frankly “ pisses me off “. Before someone gets all huffy. He said it in the context of “ this motivates me “. So more positive than angry if that makes sense

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> Let’s go HV3! Maybe the perfect dude to be there. He said on post round that Brooks dominant play frankly “ pisses me off “. Before someone gets all huffy. He said it in the context of “ this motivates me “. So more positive than angry if that makes sense

Heard his interview including that comment and loved it.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

> @bladehunter said:

> Let’s go HV3! Maybe the perfect dude to be there. He said on post round that Brooks dominant play frankly “ pisses me off “. Before someone gets all huffy. He said it in the context of “ this motivates me “. So more positive than angry if that makes sense

Absolutely. I loved what HV3 said. It was clear he said it to motivate himself and meant no ill-will by it. I took it as he is sick and tired of people asking him if he is just going to throw in the towel.

I love HV3's attitude, too. He said he thinks Brooks playing this way should be good for golf and motivate everyone else to elevate their games.

• Like 1

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB

> @Philomathesq said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > Let’s go HV3! Maybe the perfect dude to be there. He said on post round that Brooks dominant play frankly “ pisses me off “. Before someone gets all huffy. He said it in the context of “ this motivates me “. So more positive than angry if that makes sense

>

> Absolutely. I loved what HV3 said. It was clear he said it to motivate himself and meant no ill-will by it. I took it as he is sick and tired of people asking him if he is just going to throw in the towel.

>

> I love HV3's attitude, too. He said he thinks Brooks playing this way should be good for golf and motivate everyone else to elevate their games.

Kind of agree.

Rory is done for, Dj is done for...pro golf has been boring the last few years IMO with some spurts of awesome such as Speith at travelers and Tiger this year at the Masters, and last at the Fedex Cup.

Maybe this will motivate some guys to play for the win and not for the paycheck.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

> @I_HATE_SNOW said:

> > @Dave230 said:

> > Can't believe some people are comparing Koepka now to Tiger's peak when Tiger won more PGA Tour tournaments in 2000 than Koepka has won in his entire career.

>

> Just another way of turning all things into Tiger talk.

BK is in the same sentence as TW, thats a good thing.

Same was the case for Rory and Jordan but then....

But BK looks more durable mentally and physically than them. Its pretty exciting to have a guy like him out there.

BK game is perfect for the modern game. Hard to see him not racking up at least 5 more majors and who knows. I like the Jack analogy.

Meantime, wish I was out there. Look at this course. And its a great course to watch from.

Field needs a lot of help. Even with a bad day, cant see BK doing worse than a 73. But this looks academic.

BK will never forget winning here.

• Like 1

> @Dave230 said:

> Can't believe some people are comparing Koepka now to Tiger's peak when Tiger won more PGA Tour tournaments in 2000 than Koepka has won in his entire career.

This performance is definitely worthy of comparison and Koepka's run in the majors is very impressive. Can he do it over the long term?

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

In related news, Greg Norman said Tiger in so many words was intimidated by Brooks the first couple rounds. Why is Norman always taking not so thinly veiled shots at Tiger? Did he feel Tiger stole the spotlight from him? Did Tiger run over his dog?

Ping G410 Plus 10.5

Ping G410 14.5

Mizuno JPX 825 Pro 4-GW

Cleveland CG-10 52,56,60

Cleveland Classic 4.5

> @chrismikayla said:

> In related news, Greg Norman said Tiger in so many words was intimidated by Brooks the first couple rounds. Why is Norman always taking not so thinly veiled shots at Tiger? Did he feel Tiger stole the spotlight from him? Did Tiger run over his dog?

I didn’t hear Norman’s comments, but I’m sure there’s a lot of guys that were boat raced by Prime TW that are taking some pleasure in seeing it happen to him.