2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

So really...re: divots...

Why don't the "divot relief guys" just play the way their committee (group of buddies) decides for divot relief and move on with it. If they want divot relief then do it within your group of buddies. As for impact on handicap it's nil since it happens so rarely. As for tournaments, when you and your buddies aren't the committee, why not just be prepared and go to the range and practice hitting out of divots. PROBLEM SOLVED!

Comparing relief from sprinkler heads, cart paths, rakes is just plain apples vs oranges.

> @HatsForBats said:

> > @Shilgy said:

> > > @Mikey5e said:

> > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > @wkuo3 said:

> > > > > Life is not fair, to each and everyone of us.

> > > > > This game reflects life if you play by the rules. Sure , the golfer could lift the golf ball from the divot, from the hazards , but that is not the spirit of the game.

> > > > > Even the rich and the powerful could not escape the "divots in life". Plus, really, playing the golf ball in the fairway divot is not as hard as if the golf ball is in knee high fescues.

> > > > > The hazards on the golf course is a major part of the charming from the game. If a golfer couldn't see this point then, might as well search for another game , and soon.

> > > >

> > > > Yes. Bottom line on this is people want to be justified for the way they already play. I occasionally play with a few “ rollers “ and one in particular notes that I play it down. He will every round try to get me to roll it too. I just smile and go about my way. Guys that roll the ball are toast when it comes to actual tournament play. I enjoy reading a lie and playing the shot it allows. I don’t want the rollers to have hand on ball legally.

> > >

> > > I really don't think 'rollers' have anything to do with the unfortunate incident of a ball settling in a deep, unrepaired divot.

> >

> > Perhaps, but they are the tip of the spear, so to speak, of those that think a shot in the fairway is somehow "entitled" to a perfect lie. Which is the whole issue being discussed. It really has very little to do with divot holes.

>

> Oh come off it. A drop doesn’t guarantee a perfect lie and you know it. You also know it has everything to do with divot holes. The idea being the player would play their next shot from the same relative location minus being in a divot hole.

Completely disagree-and that is fine. But if not the quest for a "fair" lie then why? Injury excuse is off the table because players would want relief for anything that "might be" a divot. And as you know that is the question. When is relief no longer granted? When is it no longer a divot hole?

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

> @BlackDiamondPar5 said:

> Why don't the "divot relief guys" just play the way their committee (group of buddies) decides for divot relief and move on with it. If they want divot relief then do it within your group of buddies. As for impact on handicap it's nil since it happens so rarely. As for tournaments, when you and your buddies aren't the committee, why not just be prepared and go to the range and practice hitting out of divots. PROBLEM SOLVED!

>

> Comparing relief from sprinkler heads, cart paths, rakes is just plain apples vs oranges.

Thanks for solving the matter. It's like a light bulb just turned on in my mind, hallelujah! o:)

> @BlackDiamondPar5 said:

> Why don't the "divot relief guys" just play the way their committee (group of buddies) decides for divot relief and move on with it. If they want divot relief then do it within your group of buddies. As for impact on handicap it's nil since it happens so rarely. As for tournaments, when you and your buddies aren't the committee, why not just be prepared and go to the range and practice hitting out of divots. PROBLEM SOLVED!

>

> Comparing relief from sprinkler heads, cart paths, rakes is just plain apples vs oranges.

Of course you already realize that would not solve the problem.

How about this?

An otpional rule that allows the comittee to allow relief from fairway divots without penalty. As many "no divot relief gals" have mentioned the impact on handicaps would be insignificant. Then if you found yourself in an event where the comittee decided to use the optional rule you could still play out of a divot if you end up in one. PROBLEM SOLVED.

And I'm guessing no committee would use the optional rule, given that the vast majority of tournament players have no beef with the current rule.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

> @HatsForBats said:

> > @BlackDiamondPar5 said:

> > Why don't the "divot relief guys" just play the way their committee (group of buddies) decides for divot relief and move on with it. If they want divot relief then do it within your group of buddies. As for impact on handicap it's nil since it happens so rarely. As for tournaments, when you and your buddies aren't the committee, why not just be prepared and go to the range and practice hitting out of divots. PROBLEM SOLVED!

> >

> > Comparing relief from sprinkler heads, cart paths, rakes is just plain apples vs oranges.

>

> Of course you already realize that would not solve the problem.

>

> How about this?

>

> An otpional rule that allows the comittee to allow relief from fairway divots without penalty. As many "no divot relief gals" have mentioned the impact on handicaps would be insignificant. Then if you found yourself in an event where the comittee decided to use the optional rule you could still play out of a divot if you end up in one. PROBLEM SOLVED.

Are you proposing the USGA/R&A create a new "Local Rule" ?

Because if not, you cannot do it and still play by the Rules of Golf.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

> @hornet67 said:

> ok I am convinced, all of your arguments for not taking relief from divots has converted me...… on one condition there will be no relief period no repairing of : ballmarks, spikemarks, don't remove leaves or pebbles, no ground under repair none of this hooey, ball in a gopher hole dig it out just takes a little skill, no such thing as an embedded ball that's just an old divot that hasn't completely healed I am a reborn golf sinner who now realizes the only way to play the game right is to play the course exactly as it is found and never touch the ball except when teeing (not completely buying into this tee thing either I think we should drop the ball onto the tee if it sticks hey that's the rub of the green if not play it down) and removing it from the hole, any body got a calculator so I can add up my unplayable penalties…. wheh I feel better now..

>

> sorry I have been accused of being a bit sarcastic at times

Your sarcasm isn't all that good. And it might be a bit less tiring/more impressive if you didn't regurgitate all the same "arguments" that the others who dislike the same situations always whine about.

Life ain't fair. Golf is a part of life. Ergo, golf ain't fair. Now THAT is logic. LOL

But I am glad you feel better,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

Problem is, way too many think it is okay not to play by the rules. In golf and in life.

I have no problem if someone I'm playing with moved the golf ball out of the fairway divot.... or tee off a second drive because they didn't like the first one - when there is nothing riding on the line.

There is always other sports or habits for those whom don't like to play the game with the rules.

Maybe they could invent a game to eat popcorn sitting on the couches.

Wait, or that might be too hard to do.

> @MooJersey said:

> I think if you hit the fairway, you should get a fair lie. Personally after getting the ball where it needs to be, it seems a little penal to have to dig the ball out of a crater.

The origin of fairway (fair way) suggests it was adopted from a nautical term describing an unobstructed passage, way or area. It didn't warrant that there wouldn't be large waves to disturb the surface. Dealing with them was down to the skill and experience of the boatman. To a landlubber it is simply an open path or space.

> @MooJersey said:

> I think if you hit the fairway, you should get a fair lie. Personally after getting the ball where it needs to be, it seems a little penal to have to dig the ball out of a crater.

So if you're on the side of a hill, or on a downslope, in the fairway, you should be allowed to moved the ball as far as necessary to get a flat lie?

• Like 2

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

> @HatsForBats said:

> > @BlackDiamondPar5 said:

> > Why don't the "divot relief guys" just play the way their committee (group of buddies) decides for divot relief and move on with it. If they want divot relief then do it within your group of buddies. As for impact on handicap it's nil since it happens so rarely. As for tournaments, when you and your buddies aren't the committee, why not just be prepared and go to the range and practice hitting out of divots. PROBLEM SOLVED!

> >

> > Comparing relief from sprinkler heads, cart paths, rakes is just plain apples vs oranges.

>

> Of course you already realize that would not solve the problem.

>

> How about this?

>

> An otpional rule that allows the comittee to allow relief from fairway divots without penalty. As many "no divot relief gals" have mentioned the impact on handicaps would be insignificant. Then if you found yourself in an event where the comittee decided to use the optional rule you could still play out of a divot if you end up in one. PROBLEM SOLVED.

OMG! Why didn't someone at the USGA/R&A think of coming up with Local Rule E-3? Oh wait, they did. A long, long time ago.

Of course, the "purpose" of the LR isn't to give divot hole relief, but in practice it does. So, if a Committee can see its way clear to instituting the LR, the divot hole whiners get their way. The problem isn't that it's hard to address the divot hole issue, the problem is that it shouldn't be addressed.

After reading all 11 pages, again, I'm reiterating my stance. If I want to have a hard time, I'll quit retirement and go back to work. :)

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @MooJersey said:

> > I think if you hit the fairway, you should get a fair lie. Personally after getting the ball where it needs to be, it seems a little penal to have to dig the ball out of a crater.

>

> So if you're on the side of a hill, or on a downslope, in the fairway, you should be allowed to moved the ball as far as necessary to get a flat lie?

>

No. I just think in general, if a golfer hits the correct area of play, i.e. the fairway he has accomplished something and should be rewarded for doing so. Hitting a great shot, to then have to dig a ball sitting down at its equator, doesn't strike me as being in the spirit of the game.

Callaway (OG) Rogue SZ

TS2 Fairways

JPX 919 Tour (4-PW)

RTX4's 50, 56

BETTI QB6

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @MooJersey said:

> > I think if you hit the fairway, you should get a fair lie. Personally after getting the ball where it needs to be, it seems a little penal to have to dig the ball out of a crater.

>

> So if you're on the side of a hill, or on a downslope, in the fairway, you should be allowed to moved the ball as far as necessary to get a flat lie?

>

Here we go again with the lame comparisons.

• Like 1

> @Mikey5e said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > > @MooJersey said:

> > > I think if you hit the fairway, you should get a fair lie. Personally after getting the ball where it needs to be, it seems a little penal to have to dig the ball out of a crater.

> >

> > So if you're on the side of a hill, or on a downslope, in the fairway, you should be allowed to moved the ball as far as necessary to get a flat lie?

> >

>

> Here we go again with the lame comparisons.

Aren't you the guy who says, "The Logical individual will see that a divot equals a sprinkler head which equals a rake."

Have you no shame?

• Like 1

> @Sawgrass said:

> > @Mikey5e said:

> > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > @MooJersey said:

> > > > I think if you hit the fairway, you should get a fair lie. Personally after getting the ball where it needs to be, it seems a little penal to have to dig the ball out of a crater.

> > >

> > > So if you're on the side of a hill, or on a downslope, in the fairway, you should be allowed to moved the ball as far as necessary to get a flat lie?

> > >

> >

> > Here we go again with the lame comparisons.

>

> Aren't you the guy who says, "The Logical individual will see that a divot equals a sprinkler head which equals a rake."

>

> Have you no shame?

You have to remember this quote....from a previous divot thread

> Mikey5e wrote:

> I am quite smart, but I also think you who are against the idea also have enough aptitude but you're just being stubborn. I'm not going to waste my time explaining to you what a divot is, because no matter what I say you would have a problem with it. Although, now that I think about it, maybe you who are against it just don't have the aptitude to understand. That's why they call me Mikey five Eagles because I have great golf aptitude and understanding. Getting five eagles in one season shows I know what I'm talking about. I am done in this particular thread, you kids keep arguing with your foolish comebacks that get nothing accomplished. I'm out of here, talk to you in another thread!

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

> @MooJersey said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > > @MooJersey said:

> > > I think if you hit the fairway, you should get a fair lie. Personally after getting the ball where it needs to be, it seems a little penal to have to dig the ball out of a crater.

> >

> > So if you're on the side of a hill, or on a downslope, in the fairway, you should be allowed to moved the ball as far as necessary to get a flat lie?

> >

> No. I just think in general, if a golfer hits the correct area of play, i.e. the fairway he has accomplished something and should be rewarded for doing so. **Hitting a great shot**, to then have to dig a ball sitting down at its equator, doesn't strike me as being in the spirit of the game.

So if you cold top a driver 75 yards to the beginning of the fairway you get relief but hit a 300 yard driver into the first cut you don't?

How far does this "fair lie" go? If I stripe the drive and it has a small fallen twig behind it so that the ball would move if I moved the twig-relief? Who determines if it is a divot hole almost regrown versus a thin spot of grass?

> @SNIPERBBB said:

> > @Sawgrass said:

> > > @Mikey5e said:

> > > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > > @MooJersey said:

> > > > > I think if you hit the fairway, you should get a fair lie. Personally after getting the ball where it needs to be, it seems a little penal to have to dig the ball out of a crater.

> > > >

> > > > So if you're on the side of a hill, or on a downslope, in the fairway, you should be allowed to moved the ball as far as necessary to get a flat lie?

> > > >

> > >

> > > Here we go again with the lame comparisons.

> >

> > Aren't you the guy who says, "The Logical individual will see that a divot equals a sprinkler head which equals a rake."

> >

> > Have you no shame?

>

> You have to remember this quote....from a previous divot thread

>

> > Mikey5e wrote:

>

> > I am quite smart, but I also think you who are against the idea also have enough aptitude but you're just being stubborn. I'm not going to waste my time explaining to you what a divot is, because no matter what I say you would have a problem with it. Although, now that I think about it, maybe you who are against it just don't have the aptitude to understand. That's why they call me Mikey five Eagles because I have great golf aptitude and understanding. Getting five eagles in one season shows I know what I'm talking about. I am done in this particular thread, you kids keep arguing with your foolish comebacks that get nothing accomplished. I'm out of here, talk to you in another thread!

Well, you have to be quite intelligent to be able to consistently get Eagles, don't you think?

> @Shilgy said:

> > @MooJersey said:

> > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > @MooJersey said:

> > > > I think if you hit the fairway, you should get a fair lie. Personally after getting the ball where it needs to be, it seems a little penal to have to dig the ball out of a crater.

> > >

> > > So if you're on the side of a hill, or on a downslope, in the fairway, you should be allowed to moved the ball as far as necessary to get a flat lie?

> > >

> > No. I just think in general, if a golfer hits the correct area of play, i.e. the fairway he has accomplished something and should be rewarded for doing so. **Hitting a great shot**, to then have to dig a ball sitting down at its equator, doesn't strike me as being in the spirit of the game.

>

> So if you cold top a driver 75 yards to the beginning of the fairway you get relief but hit a 300 yard driver into the first cut you don't?

>

> How far does this "fair lie" go? If I stripe the drive and it has a small fallen twig behind it so that the ball would move if I moved the twig-relief? Who determines if it is a divot hole almost regrown versus a thin spot of grass?

Not everyone can nuke a 300yd like you Mr. S, lol....

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)

> @Golfer4Life said:

> > @Shilgy said:

> > > @MooJersey said:

> > > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > > @MooJersey said:

> > > > > I think if you hit the fairway, you should get a fair lie. Personally after getting the ball where it needs to be, it seems a little penal to have to dig the ball out of a crater.

> > > >

> > > > So if you're on the side of a hill, or on a downslope, in the fairway, you should be allowed to moved the ball as far as necessary to get a flat lie?

> > > >

> > > No. I just think in general, if a golfer hits the correct area of play, i.e. the fairway he has accomplished something and should be rewarded for doing so. **Hitting a great shot**, to then have to dig a ball sitting down at its equator, doesn't strike me as being in the spirit of the game.

> >

> > So if you cold top a driver 75 yards to the beginning of the fairway you get relief but hit a 300 yard driver into the first cut you don't?

> >

> > How far does this "fair lie" go? If I stripe the drive and it has a small fallen twig behind it so that the ball would move if I moved the twig-relief? Who determines if it is a divot hole almost regrown versus a thin spot of grass?

>

> Not everyone can nuke a 300yd like you Mr. S, lol....

Ha! My striped drive goes about 260. But I did ask if "you" hit it 300. :wink:

> @MooJersey said:

> The point of hitting the fairway is to have a nice lie. Can WRX agree on that ? :#

As far as I know, the point of hitting the fairway is to find shorter grass, and to effectively play towards the hole as intended. Unless you get unlucky, you _should_ have a decent lie. But It's never been guaranteed, as long as I've been around Golf.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

> @Shilgy said:

> > @Golfer4Life said:

> > > @Shilgy said:

> > > > @MooJersey said:

> > > > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > > > @MooJersey said:

> > > > > > I think if you hit the fairway, you should get a fair lie. Personally after getting the ball where it needs to be, it seems a little penal to have to dig the ball out of a crater.

> > > > >

> > > > > So if you're on the side of a hill, or on a downslope, in the fairway, you should be allowed to moved the ball as far as necessary to get a flat lie?

> > > > >

> > > > No. I just think in general, if a golfer hits the correct area of play, i.e. the fairway he has accomplished something and should be rewarded for doing so. **Hitting a great shot**, to then have to dig a ball sitting down at its equator, doesn't strike me as being in the spirit of the game.

> > >

> > > So if you cold top a driver 75 yards to the beginning of the fairway you get relief but hit a 300 yard driver into the first cut you don't?

> > >

> > > How far does this "fair lie" go? If I stripe the drive and it has a small fallen twig behind it so that the ball would move if I moved the twig-relief? Who determines if it is a divot hole almost regrown versus a thin spot of grass?

> >

> > Not everyone can nuke a 300yd like you Mr. S, lol....

>

> Ha! My striped drive goes about 260. But I did ask if "you" hit it 300. :wink:

Lol, I wish.....

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Srixon Q-Star Tour 

> @Mikey5e said:

> > @SNIPERBBB said:

> > > @Sawgrass said:

> > > > @Mikey5e said:

> > > > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > > > @MooJersey said:

> > > > > > I think if you hit the fairway, you should get a fair lie. Personally after getting the ball where it needs to be, it seems a little penal to have to dig the ball out of a crater.

> > > > >

> > > > > So if you're on the side of a hill, or on a downslope, in the fairway, you should be allowed to moved the ball as far as necessary to get a flat lie?

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Here we go again with the lame comparisons.

> > >

> > > Aren't you the guy who says, "The Logical individual will see that a divot equals a sprinkler head which equals a rake."

> > >

> > > Have you no shame?

> >

> > You have to remember this quote....from a previous divot thread

> >

> > > Mikey5e wrote:

> >

> > > I am quite smart, but I also think you who are against the idea also have enough aptitude but you're just being stubborn. I'm not going to waste my time explaining to you what a divot is, because no matter what I say you would have a problem with it. Although, now that I think about it, maybe you who are against it just don't have the aptitude to understand. That's why they call me Mikey five Eagles because I have great golf aptitude and understanding. Getting five eagles in one season shows I know what I'm talking about. I am done in this particular thread, you kids keep arguing with your foolish comebacks that get nothing accomplished. I'm out of here, talk to you in another thread!

>

> Well, you have to be quite intelligent to be able to consistently get Eagles, don't you think?

Not a chance the two are correlated (other than in your head).