Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

5 hours ago, geochitown said:

I'd probably go play Prairie Bluff in your situation.

... I'll second this. If the conditions are the same and of course that is a BIG IF, I would play Cog #2 but the last several times I played there the conditions were marginal at best whereas PB is always in good shape. 

• Like 2

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

4 hours ago, BTee17 said:

Amen.  Too much of a good thing.  There were times last summer that a place like Carriage Greens was charging $75+ for a round at their dogtrack.  Ruffled is actually one of my favorite courses but gouging people for $99 is insulting and may cause me to avoid them now.

Cog is now doing "demand based" fees with rates shooting up if their algorithm deems in a high demand time period.  I've seen swings for courses #1 from $50-$70 due to this.

Then I play an old favorite like Broken Arrow last week.  $47.  In decent shape, decent layout, good length etc. and think yep this is priced right.  

The amount of courses that should be $40-50 now trying to get $70 is crazy.

Spot on.

Cog 2 twilight used to be one of the best deals but the last couple years conditions have gotten iffy.

Ruffled was 54$ for weekday twilight and was a 5hr round. Course was in really rough shape and I wouldn't bother playing again this year

10 hours ago, VNutz said:

As DP4 said, HOE on Saturday. Hot and windy, but admittedly the wind helped make the heat more tolerable. Course definitely was more firm than seen in years past, more of a brownish hue than before. Course was in fine shape, greens perhaps a bit more bumpy than I'm used to them being, but they ran nicely. Pretty quick but I found them to be consistent, I think being into or down wind played into it quite a bit. On the par 3 5th I hit a punch 5i that landed 10 ft short of the pin in the dead center of the green, and instead of a decent look at birdie as expected it just kept rolling out and caught the bowl down to the back edge. Decent day as I may have gotten the driver back under control.

Three gripes: 1) courses are getting out of hand with nickling and diming. Range balls were $10 for 50 balls. I'm used to $10 or so for a bucket, but for that price I expect 70 balls or so; they had a bucket smaller than 50 which looked like just a handful sitting on the counter. 2) Water. When checking in I asked if there was water on the course, they said no, covid protocol, but they had a cart girl going around. So, if that's the real reason, there would be no rakes on the course (bunkers were full of them), they would have foam in the cups still (nope) and ball washers wouldn't be out (they were). Mind you the water stations were there, they just declined to go about filling them on a hot and humid day. Pure money grab. Generally I don't care as I bring my own water, but on a hot day I was trying to keep it light and refill as I went. 3) If you have a tee time, that is your tee time. If things are behind schedule that sucks and you adapt accordingly, but if you have an opening or groups don't show, don't start pushing the other groups forward so you can sneak more times in later in the day. I got to the box about 10 minutes before my time and was told I was holding things up, and subsequently rushed and hacked my way through the first hole.

Edit: 4) Yet another course charging walkers the riding rate.

So you were early AND were holding things up. That’s crazy. I can picture who that starter might have been.  He is a piece of work.

BTW, do you mean par 3 7th hole? The 5th is that dogleg left par 4.

13 hours ago, DavePelz4 said:

Played the Elgin daily double this weekend.  On Friday, met up with Hawkeye77 who was in town for Monte's clinic.  Gotta brag on Hawkeye as he played some awfully great golf. On number 6, the first par 5 at Bowes, he hit a THREE WOOD 337 yards.  He'll say it was down wind (true) and firm (also true) but he absolutely nuked that shot and quite a few more. Even more impressive was his putting. In the 5 to 15 foot range, I'm not sure that he missed a putt over the entire round.  On number 2, which to me is one of the tougher par 4s on the course, he smoked a drive and then hit an iron to about 4 feet.  One of the other guys asked Hawk a very appropriate question when he inquired..."Did you literally birdie every other hole today?" While that wasn't the case, Hawkeye had his share. Have been fortunate to play with quite a few WRXers from all over and you'd be hard pressed to find many nicer than Hawkeye! Always a great conversation with someone who is passionate about the game and has a lot of stories to share.

On Saturday, our group had a competitive round at The Highlands. The course played very fast and firm and it seems they're intentionally putting less water on the course compared to previous years. Saturday was probably the windiest round I've played there and more than a few shots were ate up by the wind or moved dramatically. I had a very difficult time on the greens sadly, and on #2 for example, turned a 20 foot, uphill, birdie putt into a solid double.  Seriously.  Even on uphill putts I couldn't get the speed figured out so it might be time for the putter to go into the timeout corner and something to come out of the golf club room. Giving away too many points with faulty putting.

LOL, a great day with a great host!  Just got home from Chicago.

Can't believe I'm doing this, but it was a bit of smoke and mirrors - front nine was darn good for me, back nine . . . had some great holes and some great shots (for me) but found my share of trouble and I'm very glad the scorecard wasn't saved, haha, it would not treat me anywhere near as generously as DP4!  So like Jimmy Stewart, when it comes time to print the story, I just can't admit to shooting Liberty Valance!

DP4 didn't quite play up to his usual high standard but also had moments of greatness, and I'd say for either of us, you wouldn't have known if we were making a 3 or a 7 (I had some!), we were just enjoying another great round of golf and the guys we got paired up with were fun as well - and for me, that's what it is all about.  I really enjoyed the Bowes Creek course, even the bunkers (a couple I'd like another shot at, okay one I literally had another shot at immediately after my first one, lol), and the greens were rolling nice, very consistent and I found the holes unusually welcoming. 😉

Had some issues with the virus that shall not be named in March, golf inconsistent, recovery much better lately, but hadn't made a putt in 2021, felt like I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with an iron, nor have found many fairways lately - Friday really charged me up for the rest of the season!  Thank you sir!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, coachgp said:

Spot on.

Cog 2 twilight used to be one of the best deals but the last couple years conditions have gotten iffy.

Ruffled was 54$ for weekday twilight and was a 5hr round. Course was in really rough shape and I wouldn't bother playing again this year

RF has actually been in really good shape lately, and with the Arcis Prime membership, it’s free to walk after 5pm, $35 to ride after 2pm and $25 to ride after 3pm.  

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

Cog 2 is good for $50.  It was okay condition from 2 weeks back, greens for some reason are still healing from punch marks.  I agree that PB is probably a better course and twilight value. 

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

9 hours ago, Apindara said:

So you were early AND were holding things up. That’s crazy. I can picture who that starter might have been.  He is a piece of work.

BTW, do you mean par 3 7th hole? The 5th is that dogleg left par 4.

Correct.

Dogleg par 4 5th was playing way short down wind, duck hooked my driver and found the rough 50 yards short of the green. Group behind us said the group following them drove it. 

14 minutes ago, VNutz said:

Correct.

Dogleg par 4 5th was playing way short down wind, duck hooked my driver and found the rough 50 yards short of the green. Group behind us said the group following them drove it. 

I was in the group V is referencing. We were putting when a ball rolled up on the green and ended up about 18 feet away.  Helluva poke.  Wondering if he made the putt.

16 minutes ago, Shriner said:

Yikes, that does not bode well, I have a Saturday a.m. tee time this week.  I'll try to enjoy no matter the cluster!

Once you’re on, you’re on.  Our round took 5 hours 20 minutes, but to be honest - it didn’t feel this long.  

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

14 hours ago, chisag said:

... I'll second this. If the conditions are the same and of course that is a BIG IF, I would play Cog #2 but the last several times I played there the conditions were marginal at best whereas PB is always in good shape. 

I've only played Cog #2 once and that was 2011, and it was not in great shape then.  There were some interesting holes and nice topography as mentioned, but it was disappointing overall.

I used to play #1 and 3 in a work league many moons ago (30 years ago).

Now, I'll only travel down (longer trip since I live way up north in Lake County) to play Dubs (of the Cog courses).

Edited by geochitown

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

I never thought I'd say this, but an enjoyable morning at Indian Boundary. Shocking, I know. It was muggy as heck, but there was a bit of a breeze, and the clouds helped with the sun. When I booked the round on Sunday there was a 50% chance of thunderstorms, and I didn't want to pay top dollar to get chased off a course. I figured I wouldn't sweat the $28. The only negative on the day was the constant buzz of aircraft taking off eastbound from the airport, and making a right turn over the course.

I don't think I've seen the course in this good of condition. Fairways were lush on the front. The back was a little more ragged with multiple strains of turf, but they were still playable. The rough was thick, and cut to a proper height. There were patches of dormant rough, but it was still playable. The bunkers had plenty of sand. Pleasantly surprised. The greens looked great, although there were a few too many unfixed ballmarks as usual. Speed was around 9. 

Pace was excellent. I've had more than my share of death marches here, but there was no problem today. I teed off as a single, and there was a threesome on the 1st green. I figured I'd catch them in a few holes, but they were moving at a good clip. I was spending time fixing ballmarks, so I was slower than my usual blistering pace, and I only waited on one shot in the three hour round. They spent a few minutes looking for a ball on the 16th, but then moved along quickly.

It's good for the ego to play a pitch and putt once in a while. Lol. Three birdies and two bogies. Highlight of the day was on the par 5 16th. I was a few yards short of the green chipping for eagle, and I hit the flagstick. The ball came to rest a foot away. Lowlight of the day was a nasty snap hook on the 18th that caught the small tree short left. I managed to scramble for a par, but that should have been another birdie opportunity.

I may have to add the course back into the regular rotation of discount courses as long as the conditions and pace are maintained. It's another short course that gives one's wedges a workout.

Little bugger ran in from of me on the 11th as I was getting ready to hit my approach. 

spacer.png

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 4

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

2 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

I don't think I've seen the course in this good of condition. Fairways were lush on the front. The back was a little more ragged with multiple strains of turf, but they were still playable. The rough was thick, and cut to a proper height. There were patches of dormant rough, but it was still playable. The bunkers had plenty of sand. Pleasantly surprised. The greens looked great, although there were a few too many unfixed ballmarks as usual. Speed was around 9. 

I've played IB a handful of times this year and I always catch myself thinking the same thing. Rough is patchy in some spots, but the fairways are looking pretty good. And yes, the greens are playing great with the exception of the short par 4 4th. I recall a few barren spots on that one. I got caught behind a slow group during a mid-morning weekend round, but I was expecting that. The other times I've played there have been pretty wide open.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2021 at 1:47 PM, TheBear95 said:

It looks like weekday morning league action is up and there's more guys with set weekday morning times. I'm looking at tee times for next Monday and that time period (7:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.) is tough.

asking because I must live in a bubble:

I'm tied to a desk five and half days a week. handcuffed.

how do you all do it? besides retirement.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

47 minutes ago, @_the_crook said:

asking because I must live in a bubble:

I'm tied to a desk five and half days a week. handcuffed.

how do you all do it? besides retirement.

I have a ton of vacation days to use. I basically don't use any vacation time from November - April. And, I use my days to play golf. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

4 hours ago, cpeck12 said:

Prairie Landing tomorrow morning... never played PL, so I'm very excited to check it out based off what I've heard.

Great course. Always windy due to being so open near the airport. Fantastic practice facility and the course is in excellent shape. Robert Trent Jones Jr design. 

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

On 6/7/2021 at 3:49 PM, Symphonize said:

How is the Ravines course, #2 at Cog? Worth playing or nah for $50? I have a morning outing at Ruffled Fathers this Friday, and was thinking of a late afternoon round since I’m already right there. Don’t really want to spend the $140 for Dubsdread. 

Cog 2 is okay. The greens are slowish and the first three and last three holes are very pedestrian. But 4-15 are all good and it’s a nice test. 

• Like 3

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

11 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

I never thought I'd say this, but an enjoyable morning at Indian Boundary. Shocking, I know. It was muggy as heck, but there was a bit of a breeze, and the clouds helped with the sun. When I booked the round on Sunday there was a 50% chance of thunderstorms, and I didn't want to pay top dollar to get chased off a course. I figured I wouldn't sweat the $28. The only negative on the day was the constant buzz of aircraft taking off eastbound from the airport, and making a right turn over the course.

Pace was excellent. I've had more than my share of death marches here, but there was no problem today. I teed off as a single, and there was a threesome on the 1st green. I figured I'd catch them in a few holes, but they were moving at a good clip. I was spending time fixing ballmarks, so I was slower than my usual blistering pace, and I only waited on one shot in the three hour round. They spent a few minutes looking for a ball on the 16th, but then moved along quickly.

It's good for the ego to play a pitch and putt once in a while. Lol. Three birdies and two bogies. Highlight of the day was on the par 5 16th. I was a few yards short of the green chipping for eagle, and I hit the flagstick. The ball came to rest a foot away. Lowlight of the day was a nasty snap hook on the 18th that caught the small tree short left. I managed to scramble for a par, but that should have been another birdie opportunity.

I may have to add the course back into the regular rotation of discount courses as long as the conditions and pace are maintained. It's another short course that gives one's wedges a workout.

Little bugger ran in from of me on the 11th as I was getting ready to hit my approach. 

spacer.png

About 5 yrs ago or so, we were looking up the layout at Indian Boundary on Google earth...and they had taken the satellite picture right when a plane had flown over the near by woods, so it appeared that we had found Earhart’s ✈️ 

lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, psygolf said:

I don’t get out to the west burbs as much as I used to when I had family in Glen Ellyn...but I’m surprised many here do not head out to Arrowhead more often.

Arrowhead is the least single friendly course in the area. Heck, I'd call it single hostile. They won't give a single a tee time. I'm not driving 40 minutes just to hope I can get on the course. Prairie Landing, Cantigny, and Village Links give tee times to singles, as do 90% of the courses in Chicagoland.

• Like 1

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

10 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Arrowhead is the least single friendly course in the area. Heck, I'd call it single hostile. They won't give a single a tee time. I'm not driving 40 minutes just to hope I can get on the course. Prairie Landing, Cantigny, and Village Links give tee times to singles, as do 90% of the courses in Chicagoland.

agree. they won't let you book online as a single and if you call to see even if there are openings they just say show up and maybe you can get on. luckily for me i work 5 minutes away from there and it is easy to just stop into the proshop to see if i can get on. the course is always in great shape and the greens are usually very fast. 

also someone was saying they haven't seen water on golf courses but arrowhead had water out 2 weeks ago when i played there

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ReinyDays said:

agree. they won't let you book online as a single and if you call to see even if there are openings they just say show up and maybe you can get on. luckily for me i work 5 minutes away from there and it is easy to just stop into the proshop to see if i can get on. the course is always in great shape and the greens are usually very fast. 

also someone was saying they haven't seen water on golf courses but arrowhead had water out 2 weeks ago when i played there

If I lived nearby I'd probably stop by. They have one of the best bars in the area if you like craft beer. However, most singles are not going to travel any significant distance with no guarantee of getting on the course. 

There are over 200 courses in Chicagoland. Only Arrowhead and Bittersweet refuse to give a tee time to a single. Just doesn't make any sense. 

Edited by Argonne69

I used to play Arrowhead a few times per year with former bosses. I don't think I've ever played the West 9 though. The clubhouse always seemed a bit grand for the layout.  

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Ping Anser 2 2021 34" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

They built that clubhouse to serve as a community event space (wedding and restaurant).

I remember walking up number 9 on the South Course and the guy we were playing with had been on the park district board when that was done, and I commented on the nice view as one crests the hill and sees the green and water front right and the clubhouse behind.

He said, thank you.

• Like 2

2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

I've played Arrowhead a handful of times, but that was when I was in Arlington Heights (a co-worked had a permanent tee time for a while).

Always seemed to play South to West, and only the last time played South to East.  

East is a very exacting 9.

Not in a hurry to go back there and now with young kids and living further away, it's off the list for the time being.

• Like 1

TM TP5x

Honestly, I think the reason is pretty simple, most people on a golf message board are fairly knowledgeable about the courses/availability/locations/pricing.  Arrowhead is $$$$ and we just happen to have a plethora of options in IL for less that are comparable or better courses.   Ever notice no one really mentions Cantigny or Seven Bridges either?   For over $100, you can play some amazing courses twice before playing those courses once!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Shriner said:

Honestly, I think the reason is pretty simple, most people on a golf message board are fairly knowledgeable about the courses/availability/locations/pricing.  Arrowhead is $$$$ and we just happen to have a plethora of options in IL for less that are comparable or better courses.   Ever notice no one really mentions Cantigny or Seven Bridges either?   For over $100, you can play some amazing courses twice before playing those courses once!

It's similar on the Phoenix thread in the Southwest subforum. Most of the regulars have played all the high-end courses in the valley, and can make recommendations for visitors, but generally play the value courses on a regular basis. We have plenty of good options around $50. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, geochitown said:

They built that clubhouse to serve as a community event space (wedding and restaurant).

I remember walking up number 9 on the South Course and the guy we were playing with had been on the park district board when that was done, and I commented on the nice view as one crests the hill and sees the green and water front right and the clubhouse behind.

He said, thank you.

Several years ago I did a thread on Arrowhead and broke down the financials of the entire operations through their annual report. Pre-COVID, they were making 4x in profits on the bar/restaurant/banquets/events as compared to the golf course. They're really a banquet facility that has a great golf course.

• Like 4

Beautiful morning at Glencoe. With a light breeze coming off the lake, the temps were very nice. The course is in great shape. Fairways were getting some rollout. Rough was cut. A little brown in spots, but mostly green. Bunkers had sand, and were recently groomed. Greens looked nice, but were on the slow side. I'd say 9 at most. Pace was excellent. I went out with another single, and we finished in just under 3 hours. There were singles, twosomes, and a couple of threesomes in front of us, but everyone was moving along nicely.

Jekyll and Hyde round. I had to keep pinching myself on the front to see if I was having a bad dream. I couldn't hit squat. Managed a nice birdie on the 8th after stuffing a sand wedge to 2 feet from the dreaded back pin, but otherwise it was a mess. I somehow straightened it out on the back, adding another birdie on the 16th. Unfortunately there was no making up for the front. Yeesh.

• Like 2