2019 Tour Championship

Darth Putter

> @idrive said:

> **So the new trivia question is:**

> When is a win at a PGA Tournament not a win?

> When he wins the Tour Championship Tournament but wasn't the points leader going in to the final round.

> Which brings me back to, how do you win the tourny and not win the tourny? Did I miss something?

Thats the only problem I have with it. I get the handicapped event as a way to warp up the Fed Ex Cup but their main reason was to avoid having two different winners at the finale and one guy winning the tournament but not the Fed Ex Cup and so on. They've substituted that for a potential scenario of someone winning a tournament that they didn't' have the lowest score in which is the complete antithesis for a professional golf event.

Do away with the Tour Championship as a separate event. Combine it all as it currently still feels like two events one of which is a complete mess.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

> @Kevinnz said:

> Looks like JT will have to settle for 3rd and its a match again btn rory n brooks.

I'm totally comfortable with that. Having the #1 and #3 players in the world battling for the Tour Championship seems totally appropriate. And with the exception of Paul Casey, all the chasers are in the top 7 in the world. This thing is working out exactly as planned. The only thing missing is the presence of Tiger Woods who, frankly, isn't playing well enough to be considered. The same thing could be said for DJ, Rose and Rahm. They had their chance and just blew it.

> @"Darth Putter" said:

> > @gvogel said:

> > > @dalehead said:

> > > > @MountainGoat said:

> > > > Nobody thought much of the Super Bowl the first few years, either. But, it has gained world-wide acceptance since then. Give this new format a few years.

> > >

> > > You’re right about no one taking the Super Bowl seriously at first, but it only took until Super Bowl III and Joe Willie Namath to change that.

> >

> > IF you were living in an American Football League city, you took the Super Bowl seriously right from the start. And, by the way, the 1964 Buffalo Bills would have roasted the Green Bay Packers.

>

> Are you thinking of 1965? The Packers only went 8-5-1 in 1964. The 1964 Bills would have played the Cleveland Browns.

>

>

I was off by a year. Thanks.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

The more I’ve watched the less I like the format. The Tour Champ is always weird and sort of boring in a way because they only have 30 golfers - but staggering the strokes is a fundamentally dumb way to find a “fair” champion. Golf is great because each week you never know who is going to get hot and fight for the win. And the playoffs are great for the same reason!!! Chez Reavie could shoot the low 72 hole score for the week and still lose by several strokes/have no real chance to win. That’s fundamentally stupid and goes against the entire concept of both golf and playoffs. The PGA has created something that is neither and I don’t like it.

It’s really hard to make the Tour Championship. The idea that every single one of those 30 guys wouldn’t be a deserving Tour and FedEx champ is ridiculous.

JT is going to come out today with a low one. Wait and see. Rory shoots 72 and Brooks shoots 70.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @OldTomMorris said:

> > @idrive said:

> > **So the new trivia question is:**

> > When is a win at a PGA Tournament not a win?

> > When he wins the Tour Championship Tournament but wasn't the points leader going in to the final round.

> > Which brings me back to, how do you win the tourny and not win the tourny? Did I miss something?

>

> Thats the only problem I have with it. I get the handicapped event as a way to warp up the Fed Ex Cup >

You are correct. They certainly have warped up the Fed Ex Cup.

> @PearSorbet17 said:

> > @Kookaburra1966 said:

> > Let's just call it the "TOUR Championship Final for the FedEx Cup". Not a tournament, but an artifice to wrap the season up and distribute cash. Don't actually mind the whole handicap idea so long as no-one pretends it's an actual tournament in its own right. The "winner" might get five years' exemption based on the season's body of work but no official "win" as such.

> >

> > But the points as they stand are way out of whack, as many other posters point out. My humble suggestion:

> > * Majors: Masters, US PGA, US Open, The Open - 1000

> > * WGCs, Players', Playoff series (Western Open, GHO): 600

> > * Tier 1 TOUR events - Bay Hill, Colonial, Memorial, Charlotte: 500

> > * Tier 2 TOUR events - the rest except opposite-field events: 400

> > * Tier 3 TOUR events - opposite field events: 350

> >

> > To extend the process, let's set the secondary (currently the Korn Ferry) Tour events at, say, 350 points (the same as the opposite-field events), and have both TOUR and KFT points carry over into their Finals series. Those events could be 500 point events. Anyone on the KFT that scores points on the TOUR or in the Majors keep those points to count towards The 25/ Finals/ Next 25 qualification.

> > Thoughts?

> >

>

> Mentioning the minor league Korn Ferry tour invalidated your whole post and point.

I disagree...sure, he gave too many points to the KF, but I have long advocated that the Fed Ex Cup playoffs should include the top KF dog. I always thought it was pretty exciting to see a guy who started the season in the minor leagues play in the World Series...makes for a nice story-line, so why not have that in golf? Last year that would have been Sungjae Im...I think he has proven this year that he is not a minor leaguer.

> @OldTomMorris said:

> > @idrive said:

> > **So the new trivia question is:**

> > When is a win at a PGA Tournament not a win?

> > When he wins the Tour Championship Tournament but wasn't the points leader going in to the final round.

> > Which brings me back to, how do you win the tourny and not win the tourny? Did I miss something?

>

> Thats the only problem I have with it. I get the handicapped event as a way to warp up the Fed Ex Cup **but their main reason was to avoid having two different winners at the finale and one guy winning the tournament but not the Fed Ex Cup** and so on. They've substituted that for a potential scenario of someone winning a tournament that they didn't' have the lowest score in which is the complete antithesis for a professional golf event.

> **Do away with the Tour Championship as a separate event. Combine it all** as it currently still feels like two events one of which is a complete mess.

Sorry but I don't understand.

You mentioned the confusion of 2 winners when 1 guy wins the TC and another wins the Cup.

Then you say "Do away with the TC".

So what is your "solution" ?

Personally I think they've done a good job with the "handicapping". I don't look at this as a separate tournament, just a continuation (if you will) of LAST week's comp with ONE final winner of the Cup.

The season long event is to get into the last 3 tournaments. Want to have a better chance of winning the ~~Cup~~ $15M ? Play better in the previous 2 tournaments.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

> @grm24 said:

> > @755 said:

> > Sorry if this has already been answered but what is that sticking in Brooks shoelaces on his left shoe?

>

> https://www.golfdigest.com/story/what-was-up-with-brooks-koepkas-shoes

Ah never mind. I’m going to go buy some big zip ties in the interest of posting less snark.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> > @grm24 said:

> > > @755 said:

> > > Sorry if this has already been answered but what is that sticking in Brooks shoelaces on his left shoe?

> >

> > https://www.golfdigest.com/story/what-was-up-with-brooks-koepkas-shoes

>

> Ah never mind. I’m going to go buy some big zip ties in the interest of posting less snark.

Buy a crushed can key ring while you’re at it

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

A couple of rounds into it, i kinda like the new format. Guys at the top for starters are pretty much at the top still, and some odd guy from the lower regions are in the mix. And nothing of that guy that looks like a scandinavian preacher going on about points back and forth.

I dont know if I really have liked this playoff stuff in the first place, but this format does not make it worse. Ugh.

PGA golf has gone the way of NASCAR. Lucky Dog, Race for the chase, Race segments.....? This years Tour Championship is a joke. I've never ever been a fan of the Fed-ex Cup. I'm guessing its all about keeping the Golf Channel relevant going into the Fall. To me PGA golf is losing its appeal. Much the same way NASCAR has done.

Looking at this weekends leaderboard is just frustrating knowing about this format. Justin Thomas who's a professional golfer who had a OK season gets 10 strokes on the field. I mean F^%$ !!!!

This just looks like a test to see how big of a fence post the PGA can jam up the viewers Wazooo.

As near as I can tell.... this is the only sport that does this sort of handicapping for a championship.

Football - a few teams will get a bye, a couple will end up with home field advantage. None will end up with home field advantage for the championship game unless just they're just plain lucky... one in 32 chance? NONE will be spotted a 3 or 7 point advantage.

Baseball - same thing except an extra game at home if it goes 7 games. No one gets spotted a couple of runs or extra outs etc.

Basketball - same as Baseball

And the list goes on. This format STINKS. Play for points the same as you have all season.

> @"Darth Putter" said:

> > @gvogel said:

> > > @dalehead said:

> > > > @MountainGoat said:

> > > > Nobody thought much of the Super Bowl the first few years, either. But, it has gained world-wide acceptance since then. Give this new format a few years.

> > >

> > > You’re right about no one taking the Super Bowl seriously at first, but it only took until Super Bowl III and Joe Willie Namath to change that.

> >

> > IF you were living in an American Football League city, you took the Super Bowl seriously right from the start. And, by the way, the 1964 Buffalo Bills would have roasted the Green Bay Packers.

>

> Are you thinking of 1965? The Packers only went 8-5-1 in 1964. The 1964 Bills would have played the Cleveland Browns.

>

Back in the Browns' glory days. Hopefully about to start another run!

> @buckeye440 said:

> > @MountainGoat said:

> > The sponsors are getting what they wanted. Strongest leaderboard of the year.

>

> You sure. I would argue the 2019 Masters leaderboard (top 10?) was way stronger:

> 1. Tiger

> 2. Xander

> 3. BK

> 4. DJ

> 5. Molinari, Day, Finau,

> 9 Cantlay, Rahm, Fowler

> 10. Bubba, Kuchar, JT

>

Good point. This year’s Masters had an uncommonly strong leaderboard.

> @nsxguy said:

> > @OldTomMorris said:

> > > @idrive said:

> > > **So the new trivia question is:**

> > > When is a win at a PGA Tournament not a win?

> > > When he wins the Tour Championship Tournament but wasn't the points leader going in to the final round.

> > > Which brings me back to, how do you win the tourny and not win the tourny? Did I miss something?

> >

> > Thats the only problem I have with it. I get the handicapped event as a way to warp up the Fed Ex Cup **but their main reason was to avoid having two different winners at the finale and one guy winning the tournament but not the Fed Ex Cup** and so on. They've substituted that for a potential scenario of someone winning a tournament that they didn't' have the lowest score in which is the complete antithesis for a professional golf event.

> > **Do away with the Tour Championship as a separate event. Combine it all** as it currently still feels like two events one of which is a complete mess.

>

> Sorry but I don't understand.

>

> You mentioned the confusion of 2 winners when 1 guy wins the TC and another wins the Cup.

>

> Then you say "Do away with the TC".

>

> So what is your "solution" ?

>

> Personally I think they've done a good job with the "handicapping". I don't look at this as a separate tournament, just a continuation (if you will) of LAST week's comp with ONE final winner of the Cup.

>

> The season long event is to get into the last 3 tournaments. Want to have a better chance of winning the ~~Cup~~ $15M ? Play better in the previous 2 tournaments.

Two titles, two winner cheques, unadjusted OWGR points for Tour Championship etc. its still two tournaments. I'm not saying don't play the third playoff event I'm just saying simplify it even more and no second title eg. the winner doesn't get credit for winning a handicapped PGA Tour event. A pro getting a win credited to their record for a handicapped event is the most confusing thing ever in my mind, I''m baffled that people signed off on that.

TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

> @imakaveli said:

> It’s incredible how boring a tournament can be if it’s just about the money.

Agreed, it's gotten silly.

Flash enough cash and it seems you convince them it's a good idea to have a handicapped Tour Championship.

TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]