** OFFICIAL REVIEW: MITSUBISHI MMT Iron Shafts ***** FINAL REVIEW Post #2 is UP

J13

Also curious about the utility (UT) version of this shaft.

I'm enjoyed the 125 TX iron shafts but thinking of going with a utility iron. Should I opt for the same MMT shaft as are in my irons or go with the UT version? I see a minor (0.2...2.9 vs. 2.7 degrees) increase in the torque rating but wonder if there would really be any noticeable difference?

Also thinking of going with the 105TX in the utility iron as it is a transition club between my iron set (125g) and 5 wood (84g). Thoughts?

Thanks.

On 11/14/2020 at 1:20 PM, UnderParfect said:

This is the reason I had to get rid of my apex pro with MMT 105s, they swing weighted between D4 & D5. I typically play between between D1 & D2. When my swing was on they were better than any other graphite shaft I have tried. If it was cold and I was not swinging well they were very low smother hooks. I have tried going shorter I the past but that did not work out for me so I didn’t touch the lengths, I play best at standard 38” 5 iron. Had to sell them, going to get fit for something else in the spring.

This is a concern for me. I play +1/2 over 38"/5i standard. Do the different weights within the MMT range SW differently like Steelfibers do? 

1 hour ago, OrangeGravy said:

This is a concern for me. I play +1/2 over 38"/5i standard. Do the different weights within the MMT range SW differently like Steelfibers do? 

I’ve played both i95 and 115fc in steelfiber. The i95 came in at D1 and D2.75 for the 115fc. I know the i110 swing weighted even less because of their balance. I tried having some swing weight taken out of the apex pro so they would swing weight to D2, but the MMT shafts did not feel as lively at D2 as they did D4. Maybe they were too stout for me and when adding more weight to the head it softened the tip up enough. They were very straight and a mid to highish ball flight. I loved them I just didn’t want to continue to messing around with them. 

Dr: TSi3 10 Ventus Red 6s

F: TS2 16.5 Ventus Red 7s

H: 915h 18 and 24 diamana s+

I: P770 5-PW Steelfiber i95s

W: MG3 49, 54, 58 dg115

P: Scotty Cameron Flowback 5.5 w/      custom CT Tour shaft (custom red,white,blue paint fill with stars & stripes headcover)

B: BX / TP5X 

I got on the launch monitor this past weekend with my clubfitter, (Tony at True Clubs in Carmel, IN) to specifically test the MMT 105 vs. my current shaft the Fujikura Pro 95i tour spec vs. the Steelfiber i95.  Other than the slight weighting difference of the MMT, they were all tested with the 2019 p790 7 iron head.  The dispersion was best with the Steelfiber.  Spin rate averaged 5100rpms with the MMT, 5400rpms with the Fuji Pro, and 5800rpms with the Steelfiber.  Launch angle was 1-2 degrees higher with the SF (roughly 16 vs 18 degrees) as well.  Distance averages were pretty similar amongst the 3 shafts.  I was really hoping that the MMT was going to be the best shaft for me, but the dispersion was clearly better with the SF and alittle extra spin and higher launch angle means less run out on the greens.

• Like 4

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

• 2 weeks later...

Really thinking about shafting my irons with these.

Can't decide between 105 S or 105 TX (softstepped once)---what do you guys think?

Driver SS around 108-110.  Currently playing DG 120 s300 in the irons. I want something a bit lighter, don't want to feel like I'm fighting the club late in the round. Also just convinced that graphite is the way to go to prevent some wear and tear....

36 minutes ago, HoganHO said:

Really thinking about shafting my irons with these.

Can't decide between 105 S or 105 TX (softstepped once)---what do you guys think?

Driver SS around 108-110.  Currently playing DG 120 s300 in the irons. I want something a bit lighter, don't want to feel like I'm fighting the club late in the round. Also just convinced that graphite is the way to go to prevent some wear and tear....

Well, I went with the 105TX because it comes in at 113g, whereas the 105S comes in at 105g.  I also came from S300's, although my driver SS is closer to 105 mph.  I just wanted something heavier.  I'm holding out hope for the 120/125S to be available soon and then I can try those as well

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

Just now, HoganHO said:

How was your experience?

Quite happy.  I have them in two sets (Miura combo: TC-201/MB-101 and P7MC's).  TO me they are a little tip heavy and give the irons a nice feel

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

125S will be out very soon, like within 2 months for those who want them.

@OrangeGravy I play longer than standard (1/2" over) and my swing weight is D4.  Don't forget the heads you use have big impact on swing weight not just the shaft.  

Update:

For anyone who's wondering i'm still LOVING my 125TX's and they are firmly in the bag for the foreseeable future.  

• Like 4

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

21 hours ago, nitram said:

Me too

Awesome to hear.  The performance is great and exactly what i got with my Modus 120TX's but the physical benefits are even better.  Love them

Edel PROTO

53 minutes ago, J13 said:

Awesome to hear.  The performance is great and exactly what i got with my Modus 120TX's but the physical benefits are even better.  Love them

The honeymoon is over and I still believe going to these is the best thing I've done for my game in a decade. And putting them in my wedges has tightened horizontal dispersion back to the level of when I played off +4. 

The answer to better golf is hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

39 minutes ago, nitram said:

The honeymoon is over and I still believe going to these is the best thing I've done for my game in a decade. And putting them in my wedges has tightened horizontal dispersion back to the level of when I played off +4. 

Can't agree more.  I love to hear people are having the same success i have.  I have them in my irons and all wedges, works great.  I could see 125TX guys go with 125S in wedges in the future.

Edel PROTO

Hi!

Great reading. I was hoping for an answer. I live in Sweden and have no chance to try before buying. I have problem with my hand and going to try a different shaft to my Titleist irons. I have the AMT Tour White S300 and love them. Is the 105TX shaft stiffer? Could them work for me? I’ve found them pretty cheap here in Sweden..  I’ve hit my 7 iron around 87 mph (was fitted the AMT shaft) 

• 4 weeks later...

I just found this thread and I thought I'd look for some advise.  

I put a MMT Utility 105 TX in my Srixon ZU85, it came with X100.  I really had no reason for changing it out, I hit the club so well but wanted to try something different in my utility club.  I'm now thinking of going back to steel.  No matter how well I hit the club, it is without a doubt the harshest feeling club I've ever hit.  What did I do wrong?  Or what am I doing wrong?  Distance is still similar to the steel shaft, but the sound and feel are absolutely awful!

Titleist TSR3 9˚ - Ventus TR Blue 6X

Titleist TSR2 16.5˚ - Ventus TR Blue 7X

Titleist TSR2 21˚ - Ventus Black 7X

Titleist T200 4 Iron - Mitsubishi MMT UT 105 TX

Titleist T100 5-9 Iron - TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 46˚/10˚F, 50˚/12˚F, 54˚/10˚S, 58˚/V Grind - TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100/S400

Scotty Cameron - Phantom X 5.5

Golf Pride Tour Velvet Cord Midsize

Titleist ProV1x

3 hours ago, be0972 said:

I just found this thread and I thought I'd look for some advise.  

I put a MMT Utility 105 TX in my Srixon ZU85, it came with X100.  I really had no reason for changing it out, I hit the club so well but wanted to try something different in my utility club.  I'm now thinking of going back to steel.  No matter how well I hit the club, it is without a doubt the harshest feeling club I've ever hit.  What did I do wrong?  Or what am I doing wrong?  Distance is still similar to the steel shaft, but the sound and feel are absolutely awful!

I’ve hit the utility’s and they are a different beast then the standard MMTs. I play 125tx in my irons and they are perfect I tried the utility and thought it was a board, felt like PX7.0 to me

On 12/6/2020 at 4:09 PM, Sullanos said:

Hi!

Great reading. I was hoping for an answer. I live in Sweden and have no chance to try before buying. I have problem with my hand and going to try a different shaft to my Titleist irons. I have the AMT Tour White S300 and love them. Is the 105TX shaft stiffer? Could them work for me? I’ve found them pretty cheap here in Sweden..  I’ve hit my 7 iron around 87 mph (was fitted the AMT shaft) 

105TX is much stiffer than S300.  Only way to know if they work for you is the get fit and or buy them and try them for yourself.  You could also try to soft step them or wait for the 125 stiff to come out.

10 hours ago, bfizzy said:

I’ve hit the utility’s and they are a different beast then the standard MMTs. I play 125tx in my irons and they are perfect I tried the utility and thought it was a board, felt like PX7.0 to me

Yes, remember head weight plays a huge factor into how the shaft reacts/feels.  Most hollow bodied driving irons are light and designed to be paired with shafts in the 80g range.  I have a Callaway Xforged UT with MMT 125TX and i added hotmelt and lead tape to get my desired head weight.  As a result it feels normal and the same as the rest of my irons.

Edel PROTO

• 2 weeks later...

105tx ok ss x 1 for a 92mph 7i guy?

looking to put these in some new Cally’s at +3/4”

I like really heavy swingweights so what I am reading is good news

Ping G400 LST 10.6* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.5* G Design AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* G Design AD DI 6x 

Ping G425 4h 23* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i - 7i & s55 8i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

I play the 105TX ss*1 and I'm a little slower than you are (88 mph). I'm sure you'd be fine straight in as ss*1 doesn't really change the stiffness much 

55 minutes ago, cardoustie said:

105tx ok ss x 1 for a 92mph 7i guy?

looking to put these in some new Cally’s at +3/4”

I like really heavy swingweights so what I am reading is good news

I think you'll be fine straight in but you know how to run a SSx1 test to be sure. Just don't cut the 6-iron shaft to length until you're sure.

They will come installed in the new CB’s

Scotty GoLo

I wish Callaway offered stiff flex MMT 105‘s but only TX flex. I ordered my tx flex soft stepped so we’ll see. 

• Like 1

Callaway Ai Smoke Triple Diamond 10.5* with TPT Nitro Range 17 Hi tipped 1/4"

Callaway Paradym STD Tour Issue 10.5* with Ventus TR Red 5 stiff tipped 1/4"
Callaway Ai Smoke Triple Diamond 15* with Fujikura Ventus Blue 6 stiff tipped 1/2"

Callaway Ai Smoke Triple Diamond 20* with Fujikura Ventus Blue 7 stiff tipped 1"

Vega Mizar Pro 4-PW with Shimada Pro stiff flex

Epon Tour Type M 50, 54, 60 with Shimada Pro stiff flex

Odyssey Ai One Milled Eight T S

2024 Callaway Tour X
Golf Pride Tour Velvet +1/64"
Ogio Silencer bag

2 minutes ago, poppman2142 said:

I wish Callaway offered stiff flex MMT 105‘s but only TX flex. I ordered my tx flex soft stepped so we’ll see. 

Same plan, I like soft x anyways so it should be fine, worst case pull them and SS 2x

semi mulling the 6 in 95g

My set will be 6-AW fwiw

Scotty GoLo

32 minutes ago, cardoustie said:

Same plan, I like soft x anyways so it should be fine, worst case pull them and SS 2x

semi mulling the 6 in 95g

My set will be 6-AW fwiw

I would’ve done soft step twice but my longest iron is a 4 so that won’t work for me. 

Callaway Ai Smoke Triple Diamond 10.5* with TPT Nitro Range 17 Hi tipped 1/4"

Callaway Paradym STD Tour Issue 10.5* with Ventus TR Red 5 stiff tipped 1/4"
Callaway Ai Smoke Triple Diamond 15* with Fujikura Ventus Blue 6 stiff tipped 1/2"

Callaway Ai Smoke Triple Diamond 20* with Fujikura Ventus Blue 7 stiff tipped 1"

Vega Mizar Pro 4-PW with Shimada Pro stiff flex

Epon Tour Type M 50, 54, 60 with Shimada Pro stiff flex

Odyssey Ai One Milled Eight T S

2024 Callaway Tour X
Golf Pride Tour Velvet +1/64"
Ogio Silencer bag

Question on  flex in MMT iron shafts and wondering if anyone has any experience they could share.  Currently play Recoil 95 F3 (hard stepped once) in my Apex Pros  and also played Recoil 780 Smacwrap ES in F4 (86 gram stiff) in another set of irons.  I hit my 7 iron on average 155.  Trying to determine if I should go with 85 gm Regular in the MMT’s or the 95 gram stiff.  I have no idea how these play relative to Recoil regarding flex and no way to test.  PS... I am north of 60 yrs in age so not getting any younger, play off a 7 HC.  Thanks.

2 minutes ago, JimmyD said:

Question on  flex in MMT iron shafts and wondering if anyone has any experience they could share.  Currently play Recoil 95 F3 (hard stepped once) in my Apex Pros  and also played Recoil 780 Smacwrap ES in F4 (86 gram stiff) in another set of irons.  I hit my 7 iron on average 155.  Trying to determine if I should go with 85 gm Regular in the MMT’s or the 95 gram stiff.  I have no idea how these play relative to Recoil regarding flex and no way to test.  PS... I am north of 60 yrs in age so not getting any younger, play off a 7 HC.  Thanks.

I finally have the 125 stiffs being installed will give review when I get them  back...

• Like 1

PING G430 Max 8 degree (digitally lofted) Kai'li white 65 TX tipped .5". 44.5" D4 

TSR 16.5 GD UB 7X

TAYLORMADE DHI 18 VENTUS BLUE 10TX

4 THRU PW PXG 0311 ST W/ TT ELEVATE X

VOKEY 52/08 "F" grind. BGT ZNE 115G shaft w/ BB&F ferrule

VOKEY WW 58 low bounce "K" grind BGT ZNE 130G shaft w/ BB&F 2" ferrule

JAMES PATRICK 60 (bent to 62) Mid Bounce BGT ZNE 130G shaft w/ BB&F 

SCOTTY CAMERON T11 BGT POLAR SHAFT SAND BLASTED TO MATCH HEAD... FLATSO 1.0

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

1 hour ago, Wardonation said:

I finally have the 125 stiffs being installed will give review when I get them  back...

Damn, the 125S haven’t been formally announced. 

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

10 hours ago, JimmyD said:

I guess it depends on which of your current clubs your prefer (weight-wise). Once you determine your preferred weight, I guess the next issue is if you are slowing down and if you are building for now or considering 3 years down the road. 

I'd order one of each and find the one that works best either HS, SS, or straight in. Good luck.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, noodle3872 said:

Damn, the 125S haven’t been formally announced. 

Ya been in the hunt since the MMT's came out and lucky I happen to know a guy😳

PING G430 Max 8 degree (digitally lofted) Kai'li white 65 TX tipped .5". 44.5" D4 

TSR 16.5 GD UB 7X

TAYLORMADE DHI 18 VENTUS BLUE 10TX

4 THRU PW PXG 0311 ST W/ TT ELEVATE X

VOKEY 52/08 "F" grind. BGT ZNE 115G shaft w/ BB&F ferrule

VOKEY WW 58 low bounce "K" grind BGT ZNE 130G shaft w/ BB&F 2" ferrule

JAMES PATRICK 60 (bent to 62) Mid Bounce BGT ZNE 130G shaft w/ BB&F 

SCOTTY CAMERON T11 BGT POLAR SHAFT SAND BLASTED TO MATCH HEAD... FLATSO 1.0

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO