2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

- Pro V1x left dash review

GC70

On 10/14/2019 at 8:50 AM, Red4282 said:

Guys there is not that much difference in these balls. Were are talking 1/2 a degree Of launch and maybe 2-300 revs on a wedge, which in the grand scheme of things, isnt gonna be that noticeable. Just go watch the Latest txg video. The biggest difference is going to be feel, especially around the greens.

The biggest difference is going to be for high spin players, both off the driver and irons. I played the LD the second half of last season, and really didn't notice that much difference in sound or firmness between the LD and the Prov1. What I did notice is the LD flew a lot higher than the ProV1 and about 20-30 feet further. with more run. But then again, I'm a high spin 3 HCP player.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BlueDogg999 said:

The biggest difference is going to be for high spin players, both off the driver and irons. I played the LD the second half of last season, and really didn't notice that much difference in sound or firmness between the LD and the Prov1. What I did notice is the LD flew a lot higher than the ProV1 and about 20-30 feet further. with more run. But then again, I'm a high spin 3 HCP player.

Left Dash goes around 15 yards longer for me with the driver (vs all other tour balls, even including TP5x),  but it does spin less on chip shots,  so its a bit of a compromise, but im willing to take it for that extra distance with the driver.  Tomorrow my 2021 Prov1x dozen is coming,  and hoping it has the driver distance of the LD with the standard prov1x short game performance.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2021 at 4:25 PM, herbert7890 said:

Left Dash goes around 15 yards longer for me with the driver (vs all other tour balls, even including TP5x),  but it does spin less on chip shots,  so its a bit of a compromise, but im willing to take it for that extra distance with the driver.  Tomorrow my 2021 Prov1x dozen is coming,  and hoping it has the driver distance of the LD with the standard prov1x short game performance.

That would be a real winner, let us know how they compare. 

• Like 1

Just had my first comparison with the left dash vs standard prov1x (previous generation, not the 2021). Used my 2 iron on the simulator. Both launched at 9.9*, ball speed very similar with maybe ~1 mph more using left dash (probably swing more than anything). My 2 iron is a Taylormade tour preferred UDI with a Matrix Black Tie 105XX which is a pretty low spin combo already. Standard prov1x hovered around 3900rpm, left dash hovered around 3200-3300. The left dash added about 5-7 yards carry, and 8-10 total yards. Left dash is undoubtedly firmer, but not harsh whatsoever. Definitely my new gamer, those numbers are hard to argue with. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have played the LD for the last 12 months after testing it side by side with the 19 prov1X.  It was longer by about 10 yards with the driver ( SS 95) and everything else was about the same.  The last few days I played it side by side with the new 21 X and the new X  is longer off the tee than the LD.  Probably hit 20 side by side.  Didn’t expect this!

Anyone else with results compared to the new X

19 minutes ago, stuart.f.cohen said:

I have played the LD for the last 12 months after testing it side by side with the 19 prov1X.  It was longer by about 10 yards with the driver ( SS 95) and everything else was about the same.  The last few days I played it side by side with the new 21 X and the new X  is longer off the tee than the LD.  Probably hit 20 side by side.  Didn’t expect this!

Anyone else with results compared to the new X

I haven’t hit the new X yet but would assume the difference is going to be pretty similar. I was sad to see the TP5x move closer to the regular X vs the LD. I’m excited to give the new Callaway LS ball a try though. 

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

• 2 weeks later...

I started testing the LD at the very end of last season. It seemed perfect for me on paper but I’ve avoided Titleist balls for about the last 8-9 years. They never worked well for me during that stretch. These do. And man are they durable. I’ve got 5 full rounds on this one ball. I’ve hit a few cart paths and played in some cold teams with hard bunkers. Very impressed all around. Loaded up with 8 dozen 

0B102EFC-984C-4135-9148-7D33CF8BB14F.jpeg

DF34AA76-E376-4306-9ED8-086D3E82AB90.jpeg

DDBBA569-4097-4444-A163-76BC517E8956.jpeg

• Like 1

Tested the LD over the weekend.  I am a long time ProV1x player looking for some spin reduction, but I prefer the feel of the Vx over the standard V.  Off the driver, it was 3 - 7 yards longer on the course.  Iron distances were similar, but no issues with stopping power.  Spin around the greens was very slightly less, but nothing earth shattering.  If you like the ProV1, you will not like this ball at all due to its feel.  If you like the feel of the ProV1x and want less spin, its a great ball.   Probably a very small % of players that would fit in to this ball.  I don't have super high SS, but fast enough to hit this ball well (103 - 105 with a driver). 

You cannot order this ball with custom numbers, so that is the only bad thing.  

• Like 1

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
19* Callaway Rogue Pro Hybrid w/ AD-DI 85
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Mizuno T20 Blue Ion 54* and 58* w/ Steelfiber 110
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

Ball: ProV1

The LD is the first Titleist ball I've even considered in the past 15 years. I've played the TP5X since it's inception and the LETHAL prior to that. In a ball vs ball test with the '21 TP5X the LD launches and flies a little better, is a wash in long and mid-irons, and has a little more spin around the green. I'm going to do more testing to see which ball will eventually be my primary ball but for right  now the LD is in the lead by a nose.

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

On 3/22/2021 at 9:18 AM, nitram said:

The LD is the first Titleist ball I've even considered in the past 15 years. I've played the TP5X since it's inception and the LETHAL prior to that. In a ball vs ball test with the '21 TP5X the LD launches and flies a little better, is a wash in long and mid-irons, and has a little more spin around the green. I'm going to do more testing to see which ball will eventually be my primary ball but for right  now the LD is in the lead by a nose.

Super helpful review. I switched to LD from ‘19 TP5x and am trying to figure out which to go with for the 4 for 3 discount. 

TM SIM 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x

TM SIM 14.25* Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x
Titleist 510U 3i KBS Hybrid Prototype 95x
Mizuno MP20 HMB 4-6i, MP20 MMC 7-P Oban CT 115x 
Vokey SM7 52*, 56*, 60* Modus 125 Wedge
TM Spider X Navy

The new 21 v1 and x balls also use a firmer casing layer to increase balls speeds similar to the let dash, but also with a softer cover for more spin around the greens and a softer feel.  Still, the left dash will reduce more spin than these options, and the avx isn't in the league of these other balls.  Originally targeting tour players with very high club head speeds, Titleist actually found tour players of all types got a benefit from the ball under the right circumstances, including shorter hitters looking for more distance.  With that said, only about 5% of players that use Titleist golf balls on the PGA Tour have put this ball in play.  It's not as popular as you would think and it's very much a speciality ball. 

Edited by jons1

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

Played 2 rounds with this ball to start the season. Early on and courses are just opening so greens are soft but didn’t have any issues stopping it due to lack of spin. Ball flight isn’t crazy high. Similar to last year tp5x. I found the ball really good into the wind. I was still able to flight iron shots into it with no ballooning. It was difficult to work the ball probably because it’s so low spin so if you like to or need to curve it a lot it may not be best for that. 

2 hours ago, deepred said:

The Left Dash sounds a lot like the old Pro V1 Star ball.

The Left Dash sounds a lot like the old Pro V1 Star

There is an echo in here.

• Haha 1

Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

On 3/22/2021 at 9:18 AM, nitram said:

I agree with you on everything but according to my GCQUAD, the TP5X spins more all around, inside 50 yards to the driver. Similar yardage as LD though due to slightly more ball speed and launch angles. For me anyway- driver SS 120mph, 7 iron SS 98. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My real question is will the new TP5X hold it's line against the wind as well as it has in the past? Right now the LD is as good as the TP5X historically has been. I need a little more time and a few decent weather days to find out if the TP5X is the wind beater it once was. 

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

1 hour ago, aph2011 said:

Has anyone tried the 21 v1x against the LD? Any thoughts? 

The new ProV1x isn't much different to me than the 2019.  LD is firmer feeling, lower spinning and lower flying.

Ping G430 LST 9* Graphite Design VF 6

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 15* Fujikura Ventus Blue 7
Callaway Apex UW 19* Fujikura Ventus TR Red 8
TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 9

Titleist T100 5-PW Vokey SM9 50* Fujikura Axiom 125
Artisan 55*DS+LE 59* DR+LE Nippon Modus3 125 wedge
LAB DF3

4 minutes ago, burns9304 said:

The new ProV1x isn't much different to me than the 2019.  LD is firmer feeling, lower spinning and lower flying.

Helpful, thanks!

TM SIM 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x

TM SIM 14.25* Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x
Titleist 510U 3i KBS Hybrid Prototype 95x
Mizuno MP20 HMB 4-6i, MP20 MMC 7-P Oban CT 115x 
Vokey SM7 52*, 56*, 60* Modus 125 Wedge
TM Spider X Navy

the left dash is loud....but it flies far ....for me, it flew on average 5 yards further than AVX and prov1 whch were identicle for me......for such a small gain in distance off the tee its not worth it for me to switch from prov1......the prov1 is so much more playable from 50 yards and in.....i can see the titleist line "absorbing" the left dash and it eventually becoming the base as the new prov1x....the left dash is such a smal niche market, it will not sell that well.....its definitely a ow spin ball but over the course of an entire round, the average golfer will not gain strokes from using this ball....i liked it but only off the driver...the rest of the round with the left dash was not something I enjoyed playing....AVX and prov1 are the best for me with Prov1 taking the crown

4 hours ago, StillCantPutt said:

I agree with you on everything but according to my GCQUAD, the TP5X spins more all around, inside 50 yards to the driver. Similar yardage as LD though due to slightly more ball speed and launch angles. For me anyway- driver SS 120mph, 7 iron SS 98. 

I hit the new TP5X against the Prov1x and he TP5X was on average 8 yards shorter...same with the TP5......but i love the feel of the TP5.......its the TP5 and the Prov1 for me all year long

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tsecor said:

I hit the new TP5X against the Prov1x and he TP5X was on average 8 yards shorter...same with the TP5......but i love the feel of the TP5.......its the TP5 and the Prov1 for me all year long

Was this latest 2021 TP5X versus same latest ProV1X ? 

Are you a high / low spin player ? Driver especially......

Im with you on TP5 feel. Upto now I’ve let the distance loss I know I’ve had using it go.  I’m not sure I can afford to let free yards go much longer though !

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
PING  ZING2 Irons (4-PW) - Black Lie angle - JZ Stiff
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) DG Pro: S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Regards "Shuv" : sevenfourate's WITB LINK (Click right here):

both 2021 balls

im a mid spin player i would say....~ 3000 of the driver, sometimes a bit lower....most PGA guys are 2200-2600 from what i understand so im not over 3500 ever....

i dont need a low spin ball from the fairway.....id rather use height to control my approcahes to the green, so I do not mid height.....any distance loss i have from high approcah shots is so minimal in the big picture, i just do what seems to work....if i knock the spin down 500 points, it doesnt realy matter so i just use the ball that feels good around the greens as well as off the tee....8 yards will not improve my scoring ever...id rather be able t sop a wedge from under 100 yards as opposed to gaining 5 yards in distance with a lower spinning ball

On 3/23/2021 at 1:37 PM, aph2011 said:

Super helpful review. I switched to LD from ‘19 TP5x and am trying to figure out which to go with for the 4 for 3 discount. 

I'm at the same intersection of making a decision.  I've played the '21 TP5x the last 3 rounds and prior to that played around with the '21 V1/V1x.