2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

DeChambeau Up 25 Lbs

Holy Moses

Hey, that’s interesting. The studies cite pounds *overweight as being the factor on additional impact on the knees.

Its obvious that being overweight is a big factor in knee/joint injury. Both acute and long term. As well as complications like osteoarthritis.

But, your question, 30 pounds of fat vs muscle is a good one. I mean, gaining 30 pounds of muscle over your natural weight Is technically “overweight”, I suppose. But you have to factor the following:

First, if we assume that the person adding muscle is training all muscle groups well. They are significantly strengthening their legs. That alone takes pressure off the joints. I can attest to that. I had a very bad knee that I thought was going to go to total hell in my 40s. But after taking up fitness in my late 40s, and working squats and dead’s, my knee feels fantastic. Same with my shoulder. Building muscle saves the joints, I’m convinced. So, the additional weights impact on the knees may very well be offset by the great strength gains in the quads and posterior chain.

But besides the legs, the body is a whole complicated chain, the person who is strength training is also training their core and lower back.This will provide the strength to simply walk properly and in balance as well is take stress off the joints for all kinds of activities.

The person who strength trains should be able to run, jump, do athletics. Another indication that the knees are being assisted properly by the muscular system.

So, I guess in writing this...we have the answer ; )

There is a lot of data support driving distance being a bigger factor in strokes gained than short game. Or something like that. But, yeah, it’s scoring from around/on the green that gets the wins ultimately.

Kind of like the football saying . Offense wins you fans, defense wins you games. There’s a golf one too. How does it go? ; )

The track man numbers he had on his drive today hole 14. WHOA!!!

swing speed I think was 137 (My phone went a little blurry, may be a different number )

carry distance was like 345yds

the commentators on NBC sports gold just said, “Wait what? Somebody make sure this thing is accurate. “

Taylormade M4 tour 8.5*   Attas 4U 6X

Srixon Z H45  16*

Callaway Apex MB raw 4-PW  

Cleveland 588    52,60

Scotty Newport the art of putting

-----------------------------------------

1 lb of weight added increases the pressure on the knees by 4lbs.

Rain man

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

Eamon Lynch on Morning Drive not buying Bryson's weight gain and distance gains because he hasn't won with it. He's had a string of really great play, but it's a little too early to be skeptical.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

I mentioned this a few pages back, but now I'm getting support from another source: One-length wedges are holding Bryson DeChambeau backBryson's long drives aren't buying him much other than headlines, because he's got a terrible wedge game. All he's doing is playing to the worst part of his game. I'm a single length player, and I can testify to the fact that SL wedges are terrible.

• Like 1

This was a very interesting read. I was surprised to find out he was ranked outside the top 100 in some key proximity stats. He must be putting lights out from distance to find himself inside the top 10 every week. I imagine he keeps track with the stats and I am surprised he hasn't used that info to make some changes and improvements.

/ What's in my bag is more than meets the eye /

The last three posts are totally missing the point. Brody proved it statistically without question. Longer is better in the long run. You can point to hole seven of this tournament or hole nine of that tournament where he hit it 900 yards and missed a 2 foot putt but statistically in the long run longer will give you the advantage over time. it doesn’t matter if his wedge game is terrible, which to be honest I agree it doesn’t seem to be very stellar. Ten crappy Chips will always be closer than ten above average six irons

Also, he has six top 10 finishes in a row....so it seems to be working. If he can keep this up statistically he will pull through sooner or later. I mean give the guy a break we just started up again after lock down He isn’t tiger woods. Even if he doesn’t win he could pull a Luke Donald and become world number one through top tens. Can you imagine how apoplectic people would be if he did that? lol

Regarding sustainability; the NLU guys brought up an interesting argument. It doesn’t really appear that Bryson even likes golf. So, maybe he doesn’t care if his game or body is sustainable. Maybe he just wants to make a boat load of cash before he turns 40 and then retire. The assumption is that he wants to be competitive like Langer is at 100 years of age.

WITB: Epon, Ryoma, A-Grind, Yururi, Bettinardi
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1408766-my-bag-pic-heavy-jdm/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-pic-heavy-jdm/[/url]

[b]Trees may be 90% air but they're 100% angry.[/b]

Really interesting article by our own Ryan Barath on how Bryson’s upright wedges might be the reason he is terrible from 51-70 yards. Oops, see it was already posted.http://www.golfwrx.com/618424/one-length-wedges-are-holding-bryson-dechambeau-back/?utm_source=Front&utm_medium=Featured_Center_Sub&utm_campaign=GolfWRX_OnSite&utm_content=sub

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

If you want to know the problem with packing on the pounds then just watch heavyweight UFC vs flyweight. Yeah, the heavyweight guys back a stronger punch, get more KOs, first round is really exciting. After that it's zzzzz because they are GASSED. Body mass goes UP, aerobic performance stays the same, that means the big guys can't sit and throw for 15 mins like the small guys. So how does that translate to golf? BDC is going to wear down faster, playing week after week, four days in a row is going to take a toll. Cardio AND wear and tear.

Overall I'm not sure this is good long-term, he should be bulking + cutting in the offseason (see Arnold diet), not just bulking 24/7. It's not going to end well.

Ah, shoot. I have to give in on the "shots gained" argument, though I'm inclined to remember that Brodie's numbers are averages and not representative of every golfer. Bryson is still a below average wedge player, and his "Proximity to the Hole" data isn't very impressive. I'd still like to see him try standard length wedges for shots under 100 yards. They really do perform better than SL wedges.

could be skewed by and being able to drop 2nd shots on the green on the par fives.

He’s farther from the hole then a guy who has a layup and a wedge but heS two-putting for birdies and on the green for Eagles.

He’s destroying the par fives and doing that will usually put you in a great position to Win

Bryson is all sizzle and no steak. All this distance and nothing to show for it. Talk to me when he can finally get a W.

.....he what?

WITB: Epon, Ryoma, A-Grind, Yururi, Bettinardi
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1408766-my-bag-pic-heavy-jdm/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-pic-heavy-jdm/[/url]

[b]Trees may be 90% air but they're 100% angry.[/b]

Bryson going to have a bunch of guys trying his routine and they wont get the same results. Like Ronnie Coleman says regarding steroids in body building. You still need genetics to the the results out of the steroids. I do remeber Bryson early in his career saying he could go after his driver when needed to get an extra 15 to 20 yards.