Disappointing releases from Titleist

SugarPenguin

But I think that is only true from the supporting launches. The driver / fairway / hybrid release was centred around TS2 and TS3. The supplementary drivers were outliers.

The irons were released when they normally are with the AP1/2/3 CB and MB replacements. To be honest, I’m not sure they needed to move from their numbering scheme, but to each his own. Now the new iron releases - I kind of agree with the T100s criticism. To me - really doesn’t make any sense. And the T400 - they should have been ready with the irons in September.

they have more product out now than they ever did - not really sure it is helping growth of revenue.

Quick question for you - why do you think they are just sitting there? What would make them more appealing?

The pricing on the old stuff isn’t that deeply discounted. They are still over $1200 CAD for a set of AP2. You can get a new set of Srixon or almost cover the cost of a new set of Mizuno. They need to more deeply discounted to move - not sure if that is possible.

But I am curious about why the T series is sitting there.

So the ta1 and ts4 are not mainstream type products. They are for a very small market as are the t400 irons. Titleist still has their main release with ts2/3 and their eventual replacements. The release of ts1/4 is similar to the d4 head that came out. These products are for the 1% of golfers in each demographic they are designed for although t400 may be a bit wider as the golfing population ages.

The t100-s is fit the golfer that wants the t100 but doesn’t have the swing speed to hit them the distance the golfer wants from the their irons or they need a better launch window so they fittings titleist saw the need for a product to fit the gap between t100 and t200. They are still going to be for a smaller section of the golfers out there.

Imo anything sitting on the shelves is an inventory control issue by the shop. In today’s world everyone does some sort of custom order whether it’s a different stock shaft or some sort of change to the set. Having product on the shelf that no one buys isn’t necessarily the brands fault.

I was in my local shop the other day and their driver/wood display for all brands was pretty empty.

You hinted at the problem with the pricing on the previous models. The new ones do not offer significant performance improvements, if any in some cases, over the less expensive sets from Srixon, Mizuno and Wilson Staff. Titleist dug themselves a hole years ago by branding their irons as "serious player" offerings, whatever that was supposed to mean. They virtually ignored the middle to high handicap players who make up over 80% of the market. Their products are good solid perfromers but are matched or surpassed by others. Price still is the main criterion.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

I am one that bought the T300's in December. I had heard rumblings of a T400 coming down the pike and that they would be SGI. In my mind I was thinking they would look something like the TM MCGB from a couple years ago. So I decided to go with the T300. I gotta say when I saw the T400 I was shocked at how nice they looked....to me. I realize some don't like the look, but they are much better looking than I imagined.

But I haven't once flamed on Titleist for my T300 being out of date. They aren't. I'm sure they will be fine, haven't played yet due to weather. And you know what, if I decide I have to have the T400, well I'll gladly put an order in.

I don't find golf clubs any different than automobiles, I bought a 2018 model in September, and when the 2019 models were announced two months later, they had a few new features my 2018 didn't have. But it still get's me where I need to go, and still had my essential features, life goes on.

All this is to say, no matter what or when you buy, you should do so knowing that in most cases, something newer and different is likely to come along soon after. That does't make your's any less effective and still has the features and performance you bought it for.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

I guess Titleist could have held on to the T100s and T400's for another 12 months and then released them in the next product cycle. But by then the critics would have been mad that there were these irons out there in the world that a few special people had and they hadn't been released to the public.

Titleist and other companies know that it is impossible to keep anything secret for very long and there is nothing to be gained from delaying new product by months and not bringing them to market as soon as they can to take advantage of the hype.

Just to quell the disgruntled few, we haven't even reached the PGA Merchandise Show yet. So in every OEM's mind, everything mentioned since late Sept. up until the 1st day of the Show, is still part of the current cycle. Just because someone couldn't stop themselves from selling their soul to have the latest and greatest before the Show has even happened, knowing full well (or at least should know) that more stuff could be coming, shouldn't be blaming anyone but themselves.

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

the t300 is the gi offering that somewhat took the place of the ap1. The t200 somewhat took the place of the ap3 in that players distance category ala p790, i500. The t400 per the stiff I’ve read are designed for the golfers who have slow ss especially those whose driver ss is 84 and underdog definitely a market for that. There is a gap between the t100 and t200. The t100 kinda being the ap2 replacement (I use kinda and somewhat because people titleist there is no direct replacement for the ap line in the t series.

just like there was a group of players who wanted to play the ap2 but their ss and/or skill to play them but didn’t want to play the ap1 there’s a group that prefers the players iron in t100 but for the same reasons as ap2/ap1 they don’t want to play t200 and fitters have been bending t100 strong for this segment. With that bending there’s a change in bounce. So titleist takes the feedback uses it to tweak the t100 design by building them 2* and to offset the bounce issue redesign the sole and also move the cg. Now the customer who wants players irons but doesn’t want to go to t200 now have an option and don’t have to worry about bounce/turn interaction

• Like 1

I agree it was confusing before, but now IMO they made it confusing on the other side. With the 1/2/3/4 numbering scheme, I think they should have lined it up with the woods. But instead it is kinda flipped.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 4i-7i 23*- 34* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 38*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

I'm not mad about what I see. Some of the nicest blades released this year. The number 1 ball in golf. Vokey Wedges are nice. The drivers aren't the top of the chart but, they're very nice. Scotty cameron bringing up the rear with the roller.

I seriously don't know what you want, OP. I think you just need to visit another brand or try your best to understand that it'll all about the marketing and art of pleasing the vast demographic that is golf. THat magical grey area between the 1 - 2x a year duffer and shanker and Justin Thomas. Just relax man. Titleist is doing great.

Their drivers are absolutely chart toppers. With the right fit, they are easily as good as anything anyone else has to offer, at least in the 2018-2019 cycle (I haven't hit Mavrik/Sim/Speedzone, but I hit EVERY driver from '18 and '19 and nothing could beat the TS3 for overall performance)

The AP to T iron lines renumbering is because the AP3 messed up the system. It was AP1 = GI, AP2 = Player. The AP3 came and was between the two, but would be ridiculous to be called the AP1.5. I think the reason they went 300 as the GI/SGI was to make it easier for everyone to make sense of it... the bigger the number, the bigger the forgiveness/stronger lofts/more distance. Similar to PING, with the G710/G410 and i500/i210.

The T100s is a fantastic idea to be honest. I blend my T-MBs with AP2s, and loft for loft the T-MBs fly about 3 yards further. If you look at my lofts, the T-MBs are also 1* stronger across the board. This means I had to choose to bend the AP2s 2* strong, weaken the T-MBs 2*, or change each set by 1* to meet in the middle. No matter which way you cut it, that leaves me messing with bounce and turf interaction. Will some just go T100s thru the bag? Sure, but I feel the biggest benefit is for someone like me who wanted T-MB/U500/T200 in the 3-6ish spots, with a forged players iron in the 7-PW etc.

If I were building a 2020 set similar to my current, I could just go U500 20* and 23*, T100s 6-PW, and even could have a T200 6 bent 1* weak and it be no different.

Basically the T100s just offers flexibility for making blended sets.

Ping G430 10k - 9* - Ventus TR Black 6x

Callaway Apex UW - 19* - Ventus Black 7x

PXG 0311P Gen6 - 5i-GW - DG x100

Vokey SM9 - 52.12F, 56.14F - DG x100ss

Vokey SM9 - 60.08M - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Callaway PM Grind 64 - KBS C-Taper 130x

L.A.B Link.1
Callaway Chrome Soft X LS
Best Grips Perforated Leather
Vessel Player III - Citrine/White/Black (Riding)
Vessel VLS DXR - Grey/Orange (Walking/half-bag)

These new and regular equipment releases are great imo. You have state of the art latest and greatest. The release of a TS4 doesn't diminish you're other Titleist driver which is probably only 2 yards shorter but has better dispersion. :)

The more oems release these high end clubs the more and more they will eventually flood the used club market on Ebay. Buying new clubs is the worst way to spend money on equipment. Just get last years model for less than half. F9's with premium shafts are going for less than $200, M5 M6 TS2 TS3 are less than half of new all day long. Rick Shiels recently tested all SIM drivers and he got better numbers with the M5 & M6.

My AP3's with Tour Modus 120s 4-GW cost $400 with new grips on. NEVER would've paid the ridiculous new price. I got the AP3's with premium shafts for less than 1/3rd of new. Guess what. Pay $500 for a new driver go play a round and it's USED.

You probably could've bought a used TS driver a ts fwy wood and ts hybrid used for the price of a new TS driver at Globalgolf.

$1200 for a new set of T100s no way.

Get a set of 716 AP2s, hybrids, full set of SM7 wedges for less than half. Guarantee the 716's play just like the T100s.

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G410 5 Wood Aldila Rogue 130MSI 80 X

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood VA Composites Drago 65 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

Hey I am all for Titleist and I think all the equipment they have brought out is fantastic. I think they are being more innovative than Titleist has ever been from a product perspective.

The release cycle is what I am against. As other have eluded to - it isnt just Titleist, they are just a company that I thought wouldn't repeatedly bring additional products out mid-line. I am confident that if the T100s were brought out at the same time as the rest of the T-series, there would be a 50/50 split in sales. The T100s would fit slower SS golfers who require more distance, players who generate too much launch and spin (granted a small number) and it would also bring in some T200 players. I guarantee there will be some disgruntled golfers that have already been custom fit for the original T100 and T200....

The entire industry needs to get back to helping golfers instead of profiting off them (which I know will never happen).

Back in my day, milkshakes cost a nickel, schools and water fountains were segregated, and you trusted everything because, by God, it was American. Your first sentence shouldn't be surprising. Why wouldn't the drivers be as good as anything else out there? It would be pretty lame for them to create a driver that was worse than everyone else, for what purpose? To not sell any and tick off the people who did buy one?

T100S is more of a P760/Apex Pro/785/MMC position. The Hot Metal Pro, 919 Forged, P790, and standard Apex would still fall in line more with the T200 with the unsupported face, ball speed tech with the MIT badging, and slightly larger overall profile.

The Weirdo 2024 Bag

Ping G430 Max 9* --- Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50 --- set to 7.5* at 45.75"

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 11.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 44"

Titleist TSR3 16.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 42.75"

Callaway Apex UW 21* --- Diamana Thump 80 --- 41" 

Mizuno ST-Max 5H & 6H --- Steelfiber i95 Private Reserve

PXG Gen 5 0311T 7-G Black --- KBS $-Taper 115 

Titleist SM10 54.12D & 58.08M Jet Black --- KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Black 125

Bettinardi Hive Custom --- Stability Black

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

If someone was properly fit into T100 or 200 then another club coming out isn’t going to make their clubs wrong fit or guarantee the t100-s would be a good fit. The whole purpose of a proper fit is to optimize the setup. If someone bought something not optimized with or without a fitting that’s their fault.

with the number of offerings in irons from every company aren’t they brands helping the golfer while making money? In the case of titleist they have an offering for every category of golfer with their irons.

The same way you would gap from a 38* club to a 60* wedge. One could order the set wedges in t400 or buy non set wedges. The only things different is the number on the bottom of the club. They are designed for the golfer with 84 mph driver swing and that golfer is going to benefit more from hitting wedges than woods/hybrids

The TaylorMade/Callaway arms race slowed somewhat in 2014.

As a 2013 Christmas present, TM had flooded the market with four new driver releases on the heels of a hot spring the year before. But... TM's top customer Dick's took a bath when TM supply chain glitches delayed most shipments until early spring. To clear out the TM bounty, Dick's was selling some drivers well below MSRP. In July 2014, Dick's held Termination Tuesday when it fired some 560 in-store PGA golf pros to help stem Dick's-specific golf losses.

Fortunately, Gold Galaxy (owned by Dick's) survived largely intact.

About that time, a veteran Callaway rep told me that Callaway was taking a conservative path for future releases. Marketing and production would coordinate to create a pull vs. a push merchandising scheme. New products would be in development, but would not be released until supplies of the prior model were starting to fall into back-order. Thus, MD5 Jaws wedges were not released until the last MD4 run started to dwindle. At the PGA Sectional fall merchandise sale, MD4 58*/10 lob wedges were plentiful, but other lofts and lies were scarce. I'll give a better MD4 update after the Feb. 7 weekend St. Louis Golf Expo.

But, it seems like Callaway went quick-time on the Rogue irons family. I hit Rogue Pros at the 2018 Expo, but by summer 2019 they were in "sell-out," an 18-month cycle. The Rogue and Rogue X irons held out until New Year's on the main Callaway site, for an actual 2-year cycle.

Now, we have the Mavriks. I need to hit some at Expo, I'm falling behind on my Callaway experience. (I have hit Rogue family irons and the FWs, but I have never hit a Rogue driver!!!)

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

As much as Callaway says they follow this model, they don't. I remember in the spring of 2017 I was invited to go down to Carlsbad and be one of the first 200 selected Callaway "Master Fitters" and do a 3-day, learning intensive crash course run by their Carlsbad fitters and their tour van staff. It was a lot of fun, but I suspect now it was more likely just a hype program for the Epic line of irons, than anything. At any rate, they boasted about this sell out vs. sell off model they had introduced a year or so prior with the Great Big Bertha. Well, since then, they've replaced Epic with Rogue, Rogue with Epic Flash, and Epic Flash with Mavrik almost like clockwork every 12 months. Or sorry, COMPLIMENTED is a better term with the odd-year track/no track releases. Not to mention the quick to die Fusion that was all but forgotten once the Epic was released, despite the confusing release cycle of the Fusion in August or September of 2016. They have a dizzying array of hybrid models that I can't even keep straight anymore all released within the past 12-13 months with Big Bertha, Apex, Epic Flash, Super Hybrid, Mavrik, Mavrik Max, and Mavrik Pro, along with the X-Forged UT that is still kind of current but less thought about. You also still have Rogue and Rogue X on Callaway's website to further confuse things with Price Drop in bolded red under their name. Suspicious considering the mantra and model they have aimed to follow I highlighted above. What makes it very confusing is the Big Bertha and Epic Flash seem to be one and the same, with Flash having the new Flash face and the BB not, while the Super Hybrid appears to be the same as the Flash but they are using crazy expensive materials instead (titanium vs. steel) to boost the price point.

Don't get me started on their irons. Literally the only product seems to follow with this policy is the Apex line of product, because as you said, the Rogue irons disappeared in early/mid summer and nothing. I used to be a big proponent of Callaway, and still will be in the fairway wood department as they just flat out go, but it makes it real hard to support them when even they don't really seem to know what they are doing and seem to be just throwing random releases out to see what sticks and whenever they please.

The Weirdo 2024 Bag

Ping G430 Max 9* --- Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50 --- set to 7.5* at 45.75"

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 11.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 44"

Titleist TSR3 16.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 42.75"

Callaway Apex UW 21* --- Diamana Thump 80 --- 41" 

Mizuno ST-Max 5H & 6H --- Steelfiber i95 Private Reserve

PXG Gen 5 0311T 7-G Black --- KBS $-Taper 115 

Titleist SM10 54.12D & 58.08M Jet Black --- KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Black 125

Bettinardi Hive Custom --- Stability Black

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

Not quite 'unethical'.

They're trying to optimize their development resources and at the same time, keep money coming in at a steady rate rather than having peaks and valleys that one big release can bring.

If I get upset about an OEM bringing out a new club a few months after I buy, it probably means that I chose to buy something that was ill fit to begin with.