2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Interesting experiences following PRO players live

TimK1

Followed Brad Faxon, Billy Andrade, and Jack Kaye,jr. at a practice round in Greensboro many years ago. The players and caddies all walked off #1 green and introduced themselves, and we talked the whole way around. They made me feel like I was the fourth. It was a great time, a lot of fun, and left me with really great impressions of those guys.

• Like 1

not at the course but I saw David Feherty at a grocery store in Tampa yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen gallons of milk in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter. 

When she took one of the cartons and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

• Like 1

Around the same time at the LA Open, he hit one right on the second and after he played his shot he started to walk back towards the ropes when he saw someone else in his group about to hit. He stopped and held up his hand to stop his small UCLA following he had when this drunk guy ran up and gave him a high five and said something like “UCLA baby let’s go.” He looked at the guy and his caddie and just started laughing.

• Like 1

At Quail Hollow Andreas Romero hit an amazing shot from a fairway bunker. I mean looked dead, below his feet, 175 plus yards out, and he hits it 4 feet. We were standing next to them and my friend said “great club caddie”. Andreas Romero burst out laughing and gave him a fist pump. The Caddy laughed as well.

At Hootie and blowfish’s Monday After the Masters Tournament. John Daly parked his tour bag right next to my wife and I, pulled out three shot glasses and a bottle of Crown Royal, he said “get your cameras out”. Somebody took our picture as he poured us shots and we took them together.

• Like 1

Taylormade M4 tour 8.5*   Attas 4U 6X

Srixon Z H45  16*

Callaway Apex MB raw 4-PW  

Cleveland 588    52,60

Scotty Newport the art of putting

-----------------------------------------

Yeah JD was always a hoot when he showed up Monday After The Masters. He was part owner in a golf shop up in Surfside and hung out there. I knew him from the old days kicking around on the minis. Used to be he hung out all week during that event here. We actually got a match up one day at the old Heron Point course. He bought the last 2 Ping Eye 2 wedges I had left over from our shop because they were still legal then. I actually have one of his old Wilson Firestick Staff bags. LOL I sold him those wedges for $100 but he beat me out of that in that match at Heron Point. He and a local guy I knew played me and another local guy and gave us 1 up a side. Heck he was half sloshed and could have beat us off his ball by himself. I think he shot like 64 or 65 off his own ball.

• Like 2

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

When someone starts a thread ragging on someone for caddie exchanges 10 years ago and suggests anyone can tell she's a "whack job" just by looking at her on TV even now I think a post that might be a little more revealing of her character is pretty appropriate. OP wasn't merely suggesting she was having one bad day.

OP wants to go negative, other responses have gone positive - seems like a proper discussion, two sides and all.

Looks like they got on well, at least the first 7 years. I like her! Morgan Pressel Caddie Chat

Payne Stewart used to practice at the Grand Cypress Golf Academy in Orlando. He’d go to the back of the range and always draw a small crowd of members and caddies. Always down to earth with everybody. While he was practicing and talking with the small group someone asked him “How do you hit a hook?” He answered “I think hook.” He wasn’t being flippant. It was his was of saying he played by feel.

Saw an interview he did one time and from my take on it he was a feel and instinct player--- And like was said earlier one class act

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

The first event I attended was the Tour Championship at East Lake, in 1997. I went with a couple other guys from high school, and it happened to be Halloween. The big draw was obviously a 21 year-old named Tiger Woods. Watched him warm up, and being wide-eyed and 17, asked Fluff (his caddie) what it was like working for Tiger. He gave me the biggest "get a life" scowl, said "It's just golf", and proceeded to talk with a different guy in the crowd about The Grateful Dead vinyls and memorabilia.

On the first tee, Tiger walks up wearing a huge afro wig (Halloween), and a big smile. We followed him for the first 6 holes, awestruck by his ball flight, then went to watch other golfers. I remember thinking that Vijay Singh was huge and had very prominent front teeth. Phil Mickelson, on the 18th (now the 9th), hit his tee shot, walks over to his bag, puts on a Jack-O-Lantern full face mask, and proceeds to disappear under the ropes into the crowd. He re-appeared 20 seconds later with a random kid in his arms running towards the green, and a very frantic mother in tow screaming for him to stop. He then proceeded to put down the kid, take of the mask, and give the mother a big hug and smile. Crowd loved it, once they figured out what was going on.

At the end of the day, we went to the front of the clubhouse to talk to a few players as the left for the parking lot. Amy Mickelson came over, offered us chocolate chip cookies she said she baked at the house they were staying at, and chatted with us for an easy 10 minutes. She was strikingly beautiful to a bunch of horned-up teen boys, and could not have been any nicer. It was an amazing end to my first tour experience.

The 2 hour drive home was non-stop chatter.

• Like 4

We were on vacation in Savannah, GA and my birthday fell on the RBC Heritage tournament. My wife thought it would be a fun experience for the whole family.

We followed DJ, Kuchar, and Wesley Bryan on the front nine. The first hole, DJ's tee shot landed less than 10 feet from us. My son nearly 4 at the time knew who DJ was from watching golf on T.V., said as he was walking up "Hi Dustin Johnson!" He smiled and waved to him. You could tell he was focused, after he acknowledged the crowd he proceeded to launch a wedge sky high to 2 feet. The next hole Wesley Bryan's caddie saw my son watching intently and staying quiet during the player's tee shots and handed him one of the pencils from the club they were using for scores. A few holes later we were standing near the green of a par 3, Wesley was last to walk off the tee and before he made it to the green, he stopped by my son and gave him a ball and said hi. The next hole was a par 5. While we crossed the fairway a man struck up a conversation about remembering when his son was my son's age and how he was more interested in gators than golf. Then he pointed out to the fairway to Wesley Bryan and says "Now look at him." He introduced himself (George) and Wesley's wife (Elizabeth), and we chatted about golf and life while we followed the group. We followed them up until the 8th tee shot and then made our way to the range for a chance at getting some autographs for my son.

While we waited for the group we shook hands with Bryson Dechambeau. Socially awkward guy... like he was calculating his next words to simple questions. Wished him luck for the season and headed to the hitting area. It was amazing watching these guys on the range. Shot after shot launching and landing in the same spot.

Finally, DJ, Kuchar, and Wesley made it to the range. They were all stopped by the media. Wesley was talked to the most since he was the reigning champ. DJ only hit a few balls including driver that carried the back net several times and then he headed to the practice green. We followed the large crowd to see if he would autograph my son's hat. After a quick putting session he turned to the crowd and started signing people's stuff. HOLY Crap! We we're almost trampled by the crowd.

We made our way back to the range to see Wesley. He was near done with his bag when George walked over to him and talked for a bit. They turned toward us and smiled, then he continued his range session. As soon as he finished the bag of balls he took off his glove and walked over to us. Wesley was easy to talk to and was genuinely interested in us, he wanted to know if we were going to be around for the entire tournament. He posed for a photo and signed my son's hat.

What a fun day! We're all looking forward to the next tournament.

• Like 1

TM SIM 9* Ventus Black 6TX 
TM SIM Ti 19* Ventus Black 9TX 
TM P790 3 DG X100 

TM P7MC 4, 2014 MB 5-PW DG X7
TM MG 52, 56, Hi-Toe 60 DG S400
TM Spider Tour Black

It's fake, I've read that same story so many times with different people's names swapped out in it.

Coolest thing I've ever seen following pros was a few years back at the PNC Father Son. David Duval walks up to the tee on a par 4 dogleg right with the entire right side of the hole being water. Dude whacks down on the tee box with his driver, drops a ball on the tuft of grass that he popped up, and rips a low fade that practically traces the shape of the hole and splits the fairway. Bernhard Langer who was in the group stared at him for a second, cracked a wry smile and starting shaking his head.

TaylorMade M5

Titleist 917F3 15°

Cobra King F6 Baffler

Cobra King Forged CB 4-P

Cobra King Raw 50 • 54 • 58

Scotty Cameron IBDD

Titleist Pro V1x

I worked the Fred Meyer Challenge in the mid-90’s and got to work closely (and socialize a bit during the after parties) with pretty much all of the popular players of that era. I was standing near Daly when he hit that infamous backwards drive over the grandstands.

Tons of memories include meeting Mr. Palmer, almost accidentally poking Stadler’s eye out while trying to open a path through the crowd and not realizing he was on my heels, talking with Norman as he contemplated hiring our team (player security) for his similar Australian event (didn’t happen), getting assigned to Glenn Frey and his wife two years in a row (the second at his request) and him insisting on tipping a Benjamin each time (we were volunteers). Had a young autograph seeker ask me what position he played when I said he was from the Eagles. Glenn got a good laugh from that. We also unanimously agreed that McCarron and Stankowski were the two guys we’d want to meet for beers. Had a big fight break out between roadies backstage at the after party one year we had to break up. Good times.

Only had one negative interaction with a player in five years.

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova