SIM Drivers: Can only hit cuts and can't close the face!

pearsonified

Thats true of course, I only pointed it about because it would support what @G-Bone said regarding speculation about the CG bias of the SIM. If DJ sets a fade biased driver neutral then it stands to reason that he might set a neutral biased driver towards fade.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

I’m glad I found this thread so I don’t feel as crazy.

I bought a SIM about 3 weeks ago after hitting it well indoors on a GCQuad. I couldn’t believe my eyes once I was out at the range....straight, right, right, right, right, right. I took it back the next day and re-fitted on the Mizuno ST200G. So far, the ST200G works really well on the GCQuad and the course.

I didn't really ever pay much attention to it because I assumed SIM was going to be setup fairly neutral or slightly fade biased. But I looked at the position of the rear weight and it's farther right than the fade back track setting for m5. No wonder the thing has a hard right miss. This is also why I think OEMs need to start publishing CoG data with driver releases. We need this info before gulfspie publishes it in the summer. I bet sim ends up with a CoG as fade biased as M4 was...if not more.

I'll say again tho. If you have a right miss with this driver then set the weight in the most draw setting, set the club upright, and see if you can consistently hit it left. Then dial it in from there.

I tried dialing back a fade setting. I should have gone to the other extreme quicker.

The SIM Max•D is engineered to help golfers avoid the right side of the course by a strategically placed heel-bias internal weight and divergent topline masking, which makes the driver look more open at address helping golfers close the face at impact.

• Like 1

TaylorMade Stealth 2 HD 10.5°

TaylorMade Stealth 2 Fairway 3HL, 7

TaylorMade Stealth 2 Rescue 5, 6

Mizuno MP54 7-P

Maltby TSW 50/6, 54/10, 58/6

Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 34"

IMO the Kuro Kage is a hook-draw shaft.

I have only ever been able to fade M2/M4/M6, but every time I've played these heads with a Kuro Kage, I fear the low spin left side diver like no tomorrow.

So in my view, your experience has little to do with the head and almost everything to do with the shaft.

And that was the point of my second post in this thread—IMO, the SIM heads are reacting differently at the bottom, and they must be paired with the right shaft if you want to have any hope of returning that bad boy square.

Also IMO—most of the stock shaft offerings that are easily accessible at big box stores like PGATSS exacerbate the fade bias rather than alleviating it. The Rogue Silver 70x was the only "new" stock offering I hit that helped me keep this thing on the planet.

Callaway Fusion 9º •• Matrix 75M4 X
TM 2016 M2 3HL 16.5º •• Aldila NV 2KXV Orange 65X
Callaway Apex 20º •• PX Evenflow Black 80HY X
Adams CMB 24º–46º •• DG TI S400
TM MG 50º •• PX LZ 5.5
TM MG 54º •• DG S200
Mizuno T20 60º/06º •• DG S400
Toulon Atlanta 35"

I’m curious if all these posts are about the sim or are we talking about the Max as well. Because looking at numbers and in tour bags there should be a lot more Max’s being played by us mortals. The normal sim is crazy low spin and definitely fade biased, when you don’t put backspin on a fade it tends to move farther right than your used to seeing. Second hand info but local fitter is only putting 2 people in the sim out of every 10 he fits into a TM.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

My first practice session at the range saw alot of this fade bias and I was hitting cuts with my SIM. Second range practice and I had moved the weight a little towards the draw position and it pretty much straitened up on me. I can make it go both ways now if needed, which is nice. I can't wait to play it again when monsoon season stops here in the Carolinas.

-ZA

TM SIM 9.0 with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X

TM SIM 15 deg 3W with Project X Smoke Green S

TM SIM2 3H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM M3 4H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM P790 5i with KBS $-Taper 120

TM P760 6-PW with KBS $-Taper 120

TM Hi Toe 50, 55 & 60 with DG S300

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 

swiz, you may remember that I have always needed low spin heads.

It's interesting to see so many people here are struggling with standard SIM.

I did not think anything could knock G410 LST out of my bag... and I mean anything. For me it was the best driver I have ever played... it's just plain long and finds fairways.

Of course the hoe in me tried all the knew ones this year, and I almost didn't bother with SIM as it has been over ten years that I have played a TM driver.

So you can imagine the shock when SIM beat LST on ball speed, distance and equal or bettered forgiveness.

I was so shocked and in disbelief that I brought SIM AND LST on last two golf trips. However, after 15 rounds the SIM was not taken out of the bag even one time to play LST.

At this point the standard SIM is firmly on 2020 Team G-Bone!

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

First round with the Max D and it is much better for me than the regular Sim I had. I was hitting it since and high with a small fade. I was able to draw it and I don’t draw anything! I think it look really good and brings confidence because of the size. TM did a great job with the D making it not look like a D driver like the M6 looked. Love the deep face of it too. I am happy with it after the first round.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

I feel like everyone on here is forgetting two words to put at the end of your assessment, or your findings or whatever....they are "for me". If it's fade biased for you, great. If it's not, great. We all swing it differently.

How it works for you isn't how it works for everyone, so don't bash someone for stating their results.

TSR2 8* w/ AD VF 7x

TSR3 15* w/ 1K White 80x

TSR2 3h w/ Ventus Blue 8x

G425 4&5H w/ Ventus Blue 9x

T150 6-P w/ KBS Tour V X
RTX6 Tour Rack 50/54/58
DF3

I haven't had an issue with it cutting too much. Love it. I typically play a slight cut and it performs very similar to the TS3 I had. Just a little lower launching, lower spin, and longer. Prior to that I had a 16 M2 which was very neutral. I have my SIM playing 8.25* so it should be more fade biased but I offset that by moving the weight a couple of clicks towards the heel. If I want to hit a draw i can (rarely do), but just like with the TS3 it's a very slight draw. That's how I prefer it. I want to have to work to hit a draw to avoid the left side of the golf course. As for performance the SIM performs great. Very forgiving and about 1.5 to 2 mph in additional ball speed and a little less than the TS3.

So I've typically played drivers that require effort to hit a draw/hook and that are lower spinning. It allows me to cut the ball and not really see much of a difference in distance from what a draw would produce. But if one has typically played a more neutral or draw biased driver like an M6 or a G400 Max for example I would expect that person to find this club fade biased.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* MMT 70S

Callaway Epic Speed 15* MMT 80S

Mizuno CLK 19* Tensei 80S

Mizuno Hot Metal 4 iron MMT 80S

Mizuno Hot Metal Pro 5-GW DG 105 S
Titleist SM8 Black 52*,58* TT S200
L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1
Pro V1

SIM does play a little fade biased for me coming from a Callaway epic flash SZ driver which is draw biased. It does wonder for me by changing my big/ugly draw to a smaller draw. I had a Trackman session a few days ago and hit 20+ drivers. See below. The face to path is -1.1 but the spin axis is only -3.9. This is about half of leftward spin axis of the Callaway subzero driver. Next I just learn to aim a bit more left to draw back to middle of fairway.

23NYL5K8T1QZ.jpeg

I upgraded from m6 to sim max both with whiteboard D+. With the M6 my miss was way left and also pull hook. I had to play it at 8.25 deg setting to play a little cut...my max i play at 9 deg and have never hit a straighter ball. My left misses are much more playable now. Fingers crossed this thing will be my gamer for 2020 !

Throw me in the group who thought the M5 was slooooow. Lost more than a couple yards with that head last year even though it looks/feels great. Lofted down and still couldn’t get my usual numbers from it. Tried to make it work for too long but it was never in the conversation with a 2016 M2 that broke or my M3 440 that is still in the bag.

I have a SIM still waiting to come out of the plastic so we’ll see how it does compared to the M3. Seems like very few SIM Maxes in tour bags but they’re doing very well at retail. I did have an M4 a few years ago that was actually too fade biased but have never experienced that with any other head so chalked it up as an anomaly.

Played my first round of the year with SIM Max and is probably the worst driving round ive had in a couple years. I lived in the right rough and trees all day. I have a very hard time squaring the face up right now. I made lots of center contact but I cant seem to square at impact

I had an m5 with LA Golf Ozik Black Tie all last year and loved it. I actually had 1 weight in the fade position and had a neutral flight or slight draw most of the time. This year I have a Ventus Black 6x in the SIM Max and I have no idea where its going. I wouldn't say the Ventus is stout at all, very very stable, but not stout

Its early in the golf year and very windy in Chicago for the next 2 months so im trying not to jump to conclusions but I dont see this staying in the bag for long

TM Qi10 9* ... KBS TD Serape 60x

TM Stealth 2+ 4w ... KBS TD Rainbow 70x

TM Stealth 2+ 6w*... KBS TD Rainbow 80x

Titleist 5h 23* C1 ... KBS Proto 105 S+

Mizuno Pro 243 5 - P ... KBS TGI 110

TM MG4 50 S, 56 LB, 60 TW... KBS $-Taper 130x

Greyson x Bettinardi SS3 and QB6

TaylorMade TP5x

I couldn't keep the Ventus off the right side, either.

I'm tellin ya—you can "fix" the SIM with one (or a combo) of shaft + upright adapter settings. The Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70 does the trick for me, but I'm sure other shafts can keep you off the right side, too. FWIW, most of the stock offerings fitters have available are heavily right-side-biased.

Callaway Fusion 9º •• Matrix 75M4 X
TM 2016 M2 3HL 16.5º •• Aldila NV 2KXV Orange 65X
Callaway Apex 20º •• PX Evenflow Black 80HY X
Adams CMB 24º–46º •• DG TI S400
TM MG 50º •• PX LZ 5.5
TM MG 54º •• DG S200
Mizuno T20 60º/06º •• DG S400
Toulon Atlanta 35"

Im thinking maybe the shaft isn't a good option (as hard as that is to say bc ive wanted the black for months!!!)

I have a 9* in the upright setting and lofted up to 9.75, so its closed 1.5*.... I cant figure it out. Maybe its my grip, could always be swing path, or just a combo that doesnt work for me. I won a Cobra event where im getting the SpeedZone Xtreme driver with Aldila Rogue Silver 110 6x and I hit perfect push draws all day with that.

In testing both the SIM and Max, my first 5 times testing them I was always way right and said I would not buy either. Went back about 3 weeks later and hit the SIM Max perfect. Outperformed my m5 by 2mph and about 6yards on avg. Slightly lower flight and spin around 2300 (m5 was always around 2000) so that spin I thought that day gave me a more playable driver. Out of 6 times testing the SIM Max it only took that 1 very good day for me to buy it but I guess I shouldn't be surprised what I saw on course

TM Qi10 9* ... KBS TD Serape 60x

TM Stealth 2+ 4w ... KBS TD Rainbow 70x

TM Stealth 2+ 6w*... KBS TD Rainbow 80x

Titleist 5h 23* C1 ... KBS Proto 105 S+

Mizuno Pro 243 5 - P ... KBS TGI 110

TM MG4 50 S, 56 LB, 60 TW... KBS $-Taper 130x

Greyson x Bettinardi SS3 and QB6

TaylorMade TP5x