SIM Drivers: Can only hit cuts and can't close the face!

pearsonified

In testing both the SIM and Max, my first 5 times testing them I was always way right and said I would not buy either. Went back about 3 weeks later and hit the SIM Max perfect. Outperformed my m5 by 2mph and about 6yards on avg. Slightly lower flight and spin around 2300 (m5 was always around 2000) so that spin I thought that day gave me a more playable driver. Out of 6 times testing the SIM Max it only took that 1 very good day for me to buy it but I guess I shouldn't be surprised what I saw on course

lol, I'm hoping this isn't what happens to me! (I had a similar experience with nice ball speeds but bad flights. However, my session with the Rogue Silver was a thing of beauty.)

Callaway Fusion 9º •• Matrix 75M4 X
TM 2016 M2 3HL 16.5º •• Aldila NV 2KXV Orange 65X
Callaway Apex 20º •• PX Evenflow Black 80HY X
Adams CMB 24º–46º •• DG TI S400
TM MG 50º •• PX LZ 5.5
TM MG 54º •• DG S200
Mizuno T20 60º/06º •• DG S400
Toulon Atlanta 35"

Im thinking of doing the same... Currently have 2 strips of lead tape on the heel

TM Qi10 9* ... KBS TD Serape 60x

TM Stealth 2+ 4w ... KBS TD Rainbow 70x

TM Stealth 2+ 6w*... KBS TD Rainbow 80x

Titleist 5h 23* C1 ... KBS Proto 105 S+

Mizuno Pro 243 5 - P ... KBS TGI 110

TM MG4 50 S, 56 LB, 60 TW... KBS $-Taper 130x

Greyson x Bettinardi SS3 and QB6

TaylorMade TP5x

Got to hit my SIM Max for the first time today, and of course, it was nothing like the demo setup that made me purchase the d*mn thing (even though it's the "same" shaft and head).

Unimpressed with ball speed. Not enough spin. Didn't hit a single solid strike down the middle. Fiddled with the adapter in a bunch of different positions, too.

Swing is trash, tho, so I'm not sure how much stock I'd place in this review.

I may sell it; this thing is definitely in time-out until I see something worth believing in.

• Like 1

TM MG 50º •• PX LZ 5.5
TM MG 54º •• DG S200
Toulon Atlanta 35"

I’m the opposite compared to the majority. I get the lefts with my SIM and have always been a fader. Been messing with the settings and I think I have it dialed in. Upright lie and 2 clicks down. Plays at 9* and face opened. Only thing is it’s launching at around 11* and Im trying to get into the 12-13* window spin is good though 2400-2600

Well... my observation regarding my SIM are as follows:

1) My swing is hot garbage right now... so take it all with a grain of salt.

2) This driver and shaft combo that I have are definitely fade biased, even with moving the weight towards the heel.

3) This driver is DEFINITELY hotter and longer than my M5, no doubt. I’m hitting the ball into places in sloppy winter conditions that I hit my M5 into during summer conditions. All with a hot garbage swing.

4) I can’t wait to get this driver and my swing dialed in and see the results in warm dry weather. I think it might be as long as my old SLDR.

-ZA

• Like 1

TM SIM 9.0 with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X

TM SIM 15 deg 3W with Project X Smoke Green S

TM SIM2 3H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM M3 4H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM P790 5i with KBS $-Taper 120

TM P760 6-PW with KBS $-Taper 120

TM Hi Toe 50, 55 & 60 with DG S300

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 

I see these comments of people having troubles wiht the SIM's as a validation for the reason I didn't get the SIM Max, too low spin, too much fade bias, possible troubles getting the face to close if the swing is not at 100%. It's hot but if the direction is "the trees" that's no good for anybody.

G430 Max 10K Hzrdus RDX Red 60 / Ping G430 Max 5fw KBS TD 70 / Titleist TSi2 4Hy  Tensei CK Pro Orange 80HY 

Ping iBlade 4-PW Modus3 120 / Cleveland RTX2.0 50° DG S200 / Ping Glide3.0 56° DG TI S400 / Ping Glide4.0 60° DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom 7.5 Stability Tour / Titleist ProV1x

This cracks me up bc ive seen the same thing. I hit the ST200G so well head to head vs SIM Max. Other than top end ball speed, the ST200G was better than SIM Max in every way....but my preference for TM along with multiple shafts I have with TM adapters led me to buy the Max. First round with the Max I hit 2 fairways with 8 misses way right. Other 4 driver holes I gave up and used 3w

• Like 1

TM Qi10 9* ... KBS TD Serape 60x

TM Stealth 2+ 4w ... KBS TD Rainbow 70x

TM Stealth 2+ 6w*... KBS TD Rainbow 80x

Titleist 5h 23* C1 ... KBS Proto 105 S+

Mizuno Pro 243 5 - P ... KBS TGI 110

TM MG4 50 S, 56 LB, 60 TW... KBS $-Taper 130x

Greyson x Bettinardi SS3 and QB6

TaylorMade TP5x

What shaft

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S 

Callaway AI Smoke Max Project X Denali Black 70S 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5

Cleveland CBX4 50, 56, 60 KBS HI-REV 2.0 115 Wedges

TaylorMade Spider Tour Z Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

The Sim Max D has been pretty doing me pretty good so far. Love how deep face it it and just instills confidence. Nice straight ball flight.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6 stiff

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

only two rounds with my Sim due to weather but for me i am in the group that fights a left miss. For me this has been a great driver as I do think it favors right miss or is a bit anti left. It has allowed me to swing with more confidence off of the tee in that i know my left miss is minimized with this head and I don’t have to worry about a wild right miss.

So as with golf in 2020 nothing is one size fits all, but I do think this is a solid driver for someone that wants to help reduce the left miss. Stock Hzdrus Smoke Green for me about performed Pro White FWIW

I also struggle with the left side miss. Just tried out and hit most of the new stuff and ended up picking up the TaylorMade Sim 9 degree driver with Hzrdus Smoke Green 6.0. Hitting low/mid cuts with would knuckleball. I could draw if I tried. So excited for this year as most of my bag is set. I just need to figure out the next two clubs to use.

TaylorMade TP5

Curious on if anyone put the Hzrdus Green 70 in the sim titanium fairway wood? Any feedback. I tried the stock shaft and it was too soft.

TaylorMade TP5

Update #2

Went to the range yesterday and today to work on the driver and my swing. Much better! Made some adjustments to my swing that pretty much got me dialed in with everything (including my irons).

I was all out of whack previously.... good grief! Final adjustments on my SIM After two long and consistent sessions:

track weight dead in the middle

hosel setting to standard lie, then deloft one notch to 8.5 degrees and slightly open.

Ball flight is mid-high and flat-boring with a 5-7 yard draw!

I'm digging it. Several of the boys from the local high school golf team were watching me hit it.... I was putting on a show for them!

TM SIM 9.0 with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X

TM SIM 15 deg 3W with Project X Smoke Green S

TM SIM2 3H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM M3 4H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM P790 5i with KBS $-Taper 120

TM P760 6-PW with KBS $-Taper 120

TM Hi Toe 50, 55 & 60 with DG S300

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 

Holy crap! I came to the equipment forum to ask about this exact thing and it was at the top of the posts! Not only can I only hit cuts but everything is off the heel. I don’t have this issue with any other driver, even other TM drivers with the exact same shaft. WTH!

TaylorMade 2016 Tour Issue M2x3 (8.5*/9.4*/9.8*): Tensei 1K White 70TX

Titleist TSi3 9* - Atmos TS Patriot 7x

Titleist TSR2+ 13* - Diamana D+ Ltd. 80x 

Titleist 915f 15* @ 14.25* - Atmos Blue TS 8x

Titleist 915f 18* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.2x

Titleist 816H1 17* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8x

Titleist 915hd 20.5* @ 19.5* Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8x

Titleist 2023 T150 4 & 5 iron, T100 6-9 iron - Project x6.5 ss1x 1.5* flat

Vokey SM9 Raw 46.10F, 50.12F - Project x6.0 1.5* flat, 54.12D, 58.08M - DG TI S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom 9.5 / Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2

I’m guessing that this driver works for some and other not so much. I do know that it’s picky with settings. I tried mine at stock and it didn’t work the best but it was manageable. I have it set to a bit more loft (about 10.5 measured) and weight halfway between neutral and fade and it’s damn near perfect. I’m able to hit it both ways and I finally have my fade back. I’ve never had a TM driver in the bag but this thing is a rocket. The ball just flies off the face with this thing.

Taylormade Qi10 9° - Tensei Blue X Link 65x

Taylormade Qi10 Tour 16.5° - Tensei Blue RAW 75x

Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW - Modus 115 S

Vokey SM9 50/54/58 - S200

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Cruiser

Titleist Pro V1

Cool story: My 10.5º SIM Max turned into a 9.5º TS3 yesterday. Here's what happened...

When I got fitted for the SIM, I was swinging ~114mph and producing extremely low spins. Here's an example of typical shot data:

• Club: 114mph

• Ball: 167mph (~1.46 smash)

• Spin: 1880rpm

• Launch: 11.1º

After receiving the SIM, I did what any good ho would do and hit it for a week straight. But here's the thing—my driver swing has been AWFUL for at least 2 years, so I was trying to dial in the SIM and fix my garbage swing.

After making a couple of corrections, the club started behaving differently:

• Club: 118mph

• Ball: 173.6mph (~1.47 smash)

• Spin: 3200rpm

• Launch: 12.0º

Not only was I spinning the ball too much and losing distance, I was also having balls leak hard right when I felt like they should be drawing back toward the center. In fact, I was completely unable to draw the ball with the SIM yesterday while putting up these crazy spin numbers.

I messed with different SIM heads and adapter sleeve combinations, but I couldn't seem to get the spins in my "goldilocks zone" of 2000-2500rpm. But really, a far worse problem was simply that when I felt like I was producing a draw or a cut, the actual results were either the total opposite or hugely exaggerated.

(And strangely, with the 9º SIM Max head in every adapter sleeve setting, I simply could not spin the ball enough.)

Exasperated, I started trying some heads I'd kinda sorta liked in the past—Epic, Epic Flash, and TS3. And this is when I noticed something I'd felt for a couple years but never put my finger on...

Ever since the 2017 M2 (which includes the M3-M6 and the SIM models), I've felt like the weighting of the TM driver heads was "off." Interestingly, I noticed a similar feel with the Rogue and Mavrik heads, but I don't get the same sensation from the Epic or Epic Flash heads.

While I was waggling these puppies yesterday, the difference—and the thing that is make or break for me—became clear:With the TM/Rogue/Mavrik heads, my feeling is that there is more weight/mass under the hosel and on the golfer's side of the shaft at address.But with the TS3/Epic/Epic Flash heads, I feel like all the weight is on the clubhead side of the shaft/hosel.

Obviously, this difference is extremely subtle. But for me, it's the difference between "Oh, that felt like a draw" where the ball actually draws...versus a ball that leaks 50 yards right.

Whatever my brain expects to feel is aligned with the way the weighting of the TS3/Epic/Epic Flash heads and how they feel at the bottom (Tour Edge and Mizuno drivers behave similarly now, too). In my view, this feel is similar to the way drivers used to feel before the carbon crown "revolution," which has plenty of engineering merit but simply has not produced any confident feels for me.I suspect many of you out there are in the same boat, especially if you built up your driving chops before the carbon crown craze.

One last note: I love the way the TS3 face presents itself. Where the SIM heads have an elongated toe and pear-shaped curvature, the TS3 is more of a full-frontal presentation where the toe doesn't appear to extend well beyond the face (the way it does with the SIM).

Years ago, I noticed this type of face setup helps me achieve centered strikes more easily, and now this truth (for me) has proven itself yet again.

Because of this, I chose the TS3 over the Epic Flash (which I really liked, too), even though I gave up 1-2mph in average ball speed. The confidence I get from feeling "ok, that's a bit of a push draw" and watching the ball come back on a string is HUGE, especially since I feel like I'm driving the bus in SPEED whenever I tee it up in tournaments (this thing could go off the cliff at any minute).

Finally, my average TS3 numbers:

• Club: 117mph

• Ball: 172.4mph (~1.47 smash)

• Spin: 2450rpm

• Launch: 12.0ºTotal left-to-right dispersion was less than half of what it was with the SIM. Crucially, spin and launch were also more consistent with the TS3, and I now understand what a massive role that plays in my overall confidence off the tee.

TM MG 50º •• PX LZ 5.5
TM MG 54º •• DG S200
Toulon Atlanta 35"

Few more comments on SIM being fade bias from my observations:

There are several reviews on youtube where you can see pros leak it to the right. (Rick Shiels even in draw weight setting, TXG Matt on recent live testing of multiple heads, Mark Crossfield, etc)

Some confirmed on youtube (txg, mark crossfield) SIM is around 5 degrees flatter vs other drivers

All my playing partners who wanted to try my SIM all hit push fade on their first hit (they are all good single digit handicaps and their stock shot is draw).

Played with ex KLPGA tour player and her shots are always draw. (I play with her often) When she tried my SIM today she also hit push fades first 3 swings with my SIM. (my first time ever seeing her hit a fade!)

Last season, she hit my Double Diamond Epic SZ and she didn’t hit fade with the DD Epic SZ and drew with it instead, although Callaway claims it’s fade bias head.

Bottom line, this head is most fade bias I have ever played and people who tried my SIM for the first time all have hit push fade (currently 100% as I have yet to see anyone not hit a cut on their first try)

I play SIM 9 in standard sleeve setting, weight right behind the sweet spot and taped 2g lead tape on the bottom silver spot that runs from back weight to front weight for the SW purposes.

Having the driver for almost a month, I do not slice it anymore and can control it much better, being able to hit it both ways. However, I am not comfortable with it and always have a feeling huge right miss may pop up sometime during a round.

What fairway woods are you guys gaming that play the sim driver? It seems after adjusting to this everything is now draw based I try.

TaylorMade TP5

Gaming SIM 3WD and SIM Max 3HY.

My first round with the SIM driver where I said I will not hit anything right of the my intended target line with the driver, I was successful, but hooked all other clubs that day hitting maybe 4 greens out of 18.

Ofcourse, I can’t play that way so thats why I have a feeling with SIM driver where FORE RIGHT may pop up during a round.

Have yet to have FORE RIGHT miss as I am still being protective of right side miss with the SIM.

Result, over drawing longer clubs and missing on unusal far toe side miss with the longer clubs.

I guess I am one of the few but have been struggling with the SIM driver and 3 wood and leftside - been nothing but hooks.

I had the same TZ5s in my LST woods and never struggled with left. I cannot figure it out - I opened the face and weight all the way in the toe. I guess I will be trying some other shafts or swapping back to PING.

Callaway Ai Smoke TD 9*/Ventus TR Black Patriot 6x

Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15*/Ventus TR Black 7x

Adams XTD 19*/Talamonti 85x

Srixon ZX MKII 4/Ventus Blue 9x
Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW/PX 6.5

Cleveland RTX 6 Raw 50M-54M/PX 6.0

Vokey WW 60T/TI S400

Odyssey Ai-ONE Milled 3T

Titleist ProV1

This post has me excited! Your experience seems identical to mine. I ordered the SIM Max with the 110 70x last week and can’t wait to get it on the course! Hopefully the outcome will be better than the regular SIM. I could not keep that from going right!

-Taylormade BRNR 11.5* set at 9.5* Ventus Red TR 7X playing 44.25”
-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 16* set at 15* Ventus Blue 8X

-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 19* Ventus Blue 9X

-Mizuno JPX 923 Forged4&5, Tour 6-PW Project X LS 6.5
-Titleist Vokey SM9 50F set to 51*, 56D, & 62M set to 61*

-Mizuno M-Craft OMOI Type 1 Blue Putter