looking for something in between a game improvement and players iron. p790?

NorthTXGolf

I didn’t care for the TM 790’s feel at all!

Never hit the Sub70 but they have a new 699 pro that coming out in March that has grabbed my attention, with the less offset Than the 699

I liked the Cobra King Forged Tech which I never thought I would. They look hockey stick big compared to my current gamers, and the top line was chunky, but their performance was top notch

The Mizuno MP-20 HMB is most likely my next purchase. If I can’t get to demo a few others (Hogan’s / Sub70 699 pro)

the Hogan PXT look nice as well, but I’ve never hit them so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I Wish I could demo the Sub70’s 699 pro’s. If I could get similar numbers to the Mizunos, I’d buy the Sub70 699 pro’s, they’d cost about half of what the Mizzys, and Cobras cost!

I'm a bit of a Mizuno nut lately, so I would agree with most of the above on the MP-20 HMB. I have them in my long irons, and they fly great. That being said, I'm not so sure about the short clubs in that set, but to each their own. If you demo them, and you like them...then play 'em. If you don't like the feel of the HMB in the short irons, then you can always combo them with some MMCs.

I would also have a peek at the Mizuno 919 JPX Forged. While it may feel a little large to me, I felt like it was a good "in between-er" club.

Also, I've always been curious about the Hogan PTX Pro irons. Progressive set (hollow long, solid short), forged, consistent 4* gaps on all clubs, and from what I hear/read, nice feel. And now, I think you can get them fit at Club Champion, so you aren't necessarily stuck with the three shafts from their Direct To Consumer menu.

Also, Srixon makes some sweet irons. I think the tweener is the Z585. Don't sleep on those.

The P790 isn't a bad option either.

Lastly (finally), don't just assume that a "player's iron" is too much club, or too hard to hit etc. Not every pair of size 9 shoes fit the same. Some people just flat out hit blades better than anything else...and there are some low handicappers that like playing larger irons. To each their own. Try a ton...see what you like. Liking what you are looking at down by the ball is a bigger factor than most people think.

Possibly more than "this one is more forgiving that that one". A bad swing will be bad a bad shot with any club...forgiving or not...believe me...I know...

• Like 1

Really its going to be subjective to your eye/feel. Go try 'em. I am happy with the P790 as it blends with my 770s nicely. HMB, Cobra Forged Tec, and others all have tech irons with thinner top lines.

If you don't mind the chunk, new Mavrik or even older Rogue/Epic Pro for a song.

Then you can also look PXG or the 790 Ti/CNCPT class of clubs which perform and cost.

Check out the Honma line up.....definitely a sleeper (to me anyway)....great looking at address and the ball really flies off the face.

Also, T100-S........you put these behind the ball and it just looks and feels amazing....may be the best club for a large range of HDCP players. They may look like a eleite club but they are pretty forgiving and perform!

• Like 1

Players distance sounds like what you are looking for?! i500, P790, 585, 919F, HMB, T200, D7forged, Apex/Pro, King tec., are places to start.

Ping Traverse

TM Qi10 10.5*

TM Qi10 4/7W

TM P790 5-AW

TM Hi Toe 3 54/58*

TM TP Black Soto

Mizuno RB Tour

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

Take a look at a combo z585 and z785 Srixon set. The forgiveness in z585nis great and looks great. I even have a 3 iron bent weak for my driving iron.

Driver:  TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X 

Fairway: TSR3 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  Sim2 Tensei Orange 90TX Or Srixon ZX 2 Iron 105X

Irons:Black T200 4-5 T100S 6-AW MMT 125TX

Wedges: MG4 54 MMT 125TX and Vokey SM9 58.04T MMT 125TX

Putter: Lajosi DD201

Pro V1X Left Dash

I just tested out a couple 4 irons, P790 and Z585. The P790 (21 degrees) is stronger loft than the Z585 (23 degrees). I tested the P790 at +1 weak and +2 weak, it is so long and did not fit my distance gaps well, I didn't want to keep bending it. The Z585 (bent +1 weak) fit my gaps better but I didn't hit it higher that zforged, both were still around 95ft, I was hoping to get about 105ft from the Z585.

They are both very forgiving, can't say either one really stood out in that regard.

I am selling both of them, zforged performed better for me. They both look nice at address, the Z585 in the longer irons you can barely see a sliver of the sole.

Srixon Z 785 9.5 Atmos Tour Spec Black 60X
Srixon Z F85 15 Atmos Tour Spec Black 60X
Srixon Z U85 18 Steelfiber i110 S
Srixon Z FORGED 3-9 Steelfiber i110 S
Cleveland RTX4 46 Steelfiber i110 S
Cleveland RTX4 Forged 50 Steelfiber i125 S
Cleveland RTX4 58 Steelfiber i125 S
Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft Premier 11S

Bettinardi QB6 DASS High Polish
Srixon ZStar XV Yellow

I was between the 790's and the 919 forged. I was a little longer with the 790's but my dispersion was much tighter with the 919's. Pulled the trigger on the 919's with the KBS C taper shaft and I have not been disappointed. Swings that leave a little to be desired still produce a very playable next shot without giving up distance. Highly recommend the 919 forged!

Definitely try the TM P790! Big winner in the WRX iron reviews...3 out 5.

Great looking iron with size that makes it easy to use, nice feel and low offset compared to others.https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/comment/19256335

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

Look at the Player distance iron category. My short list here =

TM P790

Cobra Forge Tec

Srixon 5x5/7x5

Mizuno 919 Forged

Titleist T100/T200

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

From all my trials and tribulations and I own the new 790’s

get 919t’s

if am adding in Callaway UT 27* and 30* right now as well

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

... If they fit your swing, it is hard to beat the P790's. I am a mid-big spin player and at age 66 I was a candidate for a little extra distance, although really just the long irons. I think one of the best attributes of the 790's is their high launch and low spin which is an excellent combo for those that play in windy conditions. I was not in the market for a distance iron and quite happy with my Cobra Forged Tour irons having played Amp Forged and Fly Z+, but the 790 look just about perfect to my eye at address. Combined with their high launch, low spin and the ability to hit my 4 iron 200 instead of 190 I thought they were worth a shot. I played them for 2 seasons and picked up the 2019 P790's and look forward to playing them this year.

... They are not for everyone of course, especially low spin players or those with high swing speeds that can find the added distance a disadvantage. But if they fit your swing requirements for an iron, they are very tough to beat.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

I own two sets in this category - p790 and Cobra Forged Tec Black. I really like both. I do like the shaft set up in the 790s better, so those get more play. However, both are great irons.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple 💎 10.5* Ventus Blue 6X/TR 6S
Titleist TSR2 16.5* (Set to 15.75*) Tour AD DI 7S
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid Tour AD IZ 85S
Titleist u505 4i (21*) Tour AD DI 95S

Srixon Zx7 MK II 5-PW, 51* AW - Modus 105S
Callaway Jaws 56*-Jaws Full Toe 60*-  DG 115 TI S200

Toulon Garage Custom Las Vegas H7 35”

P790 user here.

The main issue I could foresee is that the P790’s tend to have a high flight in the shorter irons, even with something like C-tapers. It might not be the best fit for your conditions.

Consider the 919HM Pro’s. Although configurable at no upcharge, they come stock and work well with C-Taper lite’s.

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

I have pretty much the same complaint, the 8-4 iron are pretty much perfect in the P790, high low spin straight flight. Not an iron you can really finesse if you read through the 100's of posts, which is my other complaint. The 9-AW are just moonball machines and never helped me score. I think whoever said these irons were built for distance first was dead on, and my two cents is a bad swing is a bad swing with them. I noticed really good left to right dispersion but front to back was wild sometimes. They don't produce flyers so much as the sweet spot is just a rocket launcher. Feel is honestly OK, I probably like it better than the MP2) HMB which gets compared to the TM. I think the MP20 is more player oriented but I never got comfy with the the Mizuno hosel look. I am going back to my roots with Titleist T100S, familiar look and the irons can be hit softly if need be. The extra 2* stronger is very appealing to me, even if just for ego. For what its the worth the HMB are like two different sets of irons in the long and short irons, the hollow ones feel fast and the short irons feel like blades. I probably could have gotten used to it, but I prefer a more consistent set feel.

The new Wilson D7 forged or last years C300 forged are sleepers in a good way. Great feel and looks, and pretty forgiving. A little weaker lofts, but still good distance and ball speeds.

Ping G430 Max 10.5, VA Nemesis 55 four

Ping G430 5-18, VA Vylyn 65 four

Ping G430 4H, 5H, 6H, Alta 70S

Mizuno Pro 245, 6-gw. MMT 85S

Ping S159 54S, & 54H, MMT 105S

Odyssey Nano 7, stroke lab

Pro V 1X or Z-Star XV

A couple guys nailed it on the head. A bad swing is a bad swing regardless. Any of these suggestions will help you with off center strikes.

P-790 - Love the back of the iron, easy to clean, clean look. Fairly compact, I bag a 3i as a driving iron and its a cannon.

Z-585 - I game these, forgiving and great irons. I'm after a thinner sole for my next set. Nothing wrong with them I'm just a sweeper, and don't need the v-sole benefits.

Mizuno HMP or Forged are nice, although I have limited experience hitting them.

Callaway Apex (smaller of the heads mentioned) great iron, real long, and good feel. Too long for me in fact.

Titleist AP3 is a good blend of both might get them on discount.

I'm going to pick up a used set of something above I mentioned and mess around with them this spring just for fun.

"P-790 - Love the back of the iron, easy to clean, clean look. Fairly compact, I bag a 3i as a driving iron and its a cannon."

... I am glad someone finally said this. I have read from too many here that the 790's have a thick top line, wide sole and are a large headed iron. In contrast I believe the reason they are so successful, especially with mid and low index players is compared to anything other than a MB, they have a medium thin top line, a medium width sole and a mid sized head that look fairly compact at address. As I have stated many times I was not in the market for a distance iron but I loved everything about the 790's when I demoed them.

... The above said, my P760's feel much softer in the short irons and are a little better feeling in the mid/long irons as well. The normal amounts of spin the 760's produce help on a few very hard and fast desert greens where the 790's are a liability. The one irony is the 790's have a thinner top line than the 760's, something I am guessing TM will fix with the new release this summer.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

Nothing in the way of new information but just backing up what a lot of others are saying, as someone who recently bought the P790s, I can say that they are a LONG set of irons but it's been very tough for me to get the proper ranges dialed in.

They are forgiving Irons in terms of left to right dispersion but as other have said, the front to back dispersion can be challenging if you're not the most consistent ball striker in the world (which I am not).

From a looks perspective they are some of my favorite irons. In the bag or at address the design is beautiful. You can't go wrong there.

Overall I really like them and I got them for a steal but I will probably be selling them in the next few weeks to try out something else.

Driver: Cobra LTDx Ventus Black 6x

3 wood: Ping G430 

4 Hybrid: TM Stealth 2

5 Hybrid: Ping G430

Irons 6-UW: Ping i525 Project X IO 115 6.5

52: TM MG 3

56: Vokey SM9

60: Vokey SM9

Ball: 2023 Pro V1/Vice Pro