All one maker - reasons for and against

Vater

I am a bit OCD, but play what works for me. The part of the bag that changes the most is the driver. Callaway, TM, Ping, Cobra and I’m sure I forgot one have all been in there. Woods are next, and usually follow a “successful” driver placement. Irons and wedges don’t change that often. The SC putter is going on 12 years in the bag. As for the bag itself, Ping or Sun Mountain IMO make the best. Ball has either been, Titleist or Bridgestone with a few experiments mixed in.

I’m mixed bag, always have been.

It’s quite a coincidence that my irons and wedges are same brand, as well as woods and driver, I see them as four different categories of clubs.

I just make an appointment with a fitter, tell him what I’m looking for and have him/her hand me clubs that he/she thinks would work best for me. I’ve had a thing for PING for the longest time, but found there’s other companies that might fit me better. Just three brands in the bag now is still a feat.

Slapping the ball around a bit, having loads of fun.

I’d say for me it’s a little bit of OCD, Trust, and Fan Boy. I know if I’m buying clubs I can pick up the newest Titleist offerings and know exactly what I’m getting. I’m in the boat of all golf club companies are +/- 1% from each other on performance so why not buy something that looks good and that’s usually Titleist for my eye. That being said I’ll probably game the Sim driver next season lol.

Sim Max 9° HC Hzrdus Yellow/TourAD IZ

TSi2 4 wood @ 18°

Geom Moe Irons  29° 37° 45°

Edel 55°
Scotty California Monterey

all irons & wedge in kbs c-taper lite

Golf Instagram: @MinimalistGolfClub

What he said, I'm new but I'm going ALL Callaway because of the "OCD" reasoning. I'm not actually OCD but while I'm new to golf I also like everything to look relatively sleek and having the same brand/color scheme across the board makes me happier than just seeing a hodge podge of varying brands/colors although I'm sure if I were better I would play more to what suits me best. I chose Callaway mainly because of their midnight-Blue theme for their Rogue sets which also happens to be a pretty forgiving and reliable set to go with so it fits me the best both looks-wise and feel-wise.

Bag is currently all Callaway with everything but the driver and my PM grind 58 having been bought on Callaway Preowned. When I can get new wedges every winter for $40-$50 each, no reason not to keep buying them.

Started the season with a set of Srixon 785's but went back to my Apex Pro's. Last season I used a mixed set of Titleist irons (TMB's and MB's) but ultimately went back to my Apex Pro's.

Had a SIM driver and M5 3 wood in the bag this spring. Didn't love the SIM and traded it in for the MAVRIK, M5 3 wood in the back up bag.

Only club that isn't going anywhere is the Odyssey MXM 9 HT.

Balls are changed almost each round. I really like the TP5X the best but have hit Callaway Chrome Soft's (2020 version) and Srixon Z Star XV's this season.

In the Bag:

Driver: 10.5 Epic Speed Graphite Design AD-ITZ 60

Fairway Wood: 15 Epic Speed Graphite Design AD-ITZ 70

Fairway Wood: 19 Epic Flash Tensei Blue 75

Irons: Apex Pro '19 4-AW, Aerotech Steelfiber 95

Wedges: 54 MD4 and 58 '19 PM Grind 

Grips: Tour Velvet Jumbo

Putter: Odyssey MXM 9 HT

Balls: Chrome soft Triple Track

I've always had a mixed bag.

Driver: Find what works. I never liked Ping Drivers until the G400. Always had either Titleist, Cobra or Cally.

FW: Always been partial to Callaway for some reason. They just work for me. ( don't change often, either)

Hybrids: Ping G410. Had Callaway Apex for years, Adams Idea Pro Black before that and Nickent 3Dx DC before that.

Irons: Currently Cobra, but when it comes to new irons, I go to an outdoor demo day and hit off grass. I currently Play Forged Tec's and have a set of Forged Tec Blacks. Both sets same shafts ( SF i95 reg)

Wedges: Cally or Vokey. Right now there's a 54*SM7 and a 58* PM2 Grind in the bag.

Putter: Anser style blade. Prefer Carbon steel, although a Toulon Madison w/ L neck is stainless and has found a home in my bag. ( But I like to experiment with putters)

Big fan of Bettinardi over Cameron, and I don't like inserts, except Tei3, which keeps me away fro Odyssey usually. ( I do have an MXM Versa #1 that I really putt well with when it's in the bag).

I don't think I could ever play a single brand bag top to bottom.

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

Ping irons, 3 wood and putter. My driver is a Titleist TS2. I tried the G410. I tried it with four different shafts. Couldn't hit it. Hit the TS2 and it looked like it was launching off an aircraft carrier. Dead straight, consistently 270-280 (with one hit 312 but also one shanked about 230). That got bought. I have Callaway Mack Daddy 4 wedges because I like them and I can hit them. No other reason other than I play them well and haven't had a reason to change them up.

I went from a Taylor Made, Callaway, and Cleveland bag to to 13 Cobra clubs over the last two years. Started with the irons (Forged Tour), then I needed to upgrade my wedges and thought I'd give Cobra wedges a try since I liked the irons so much. Found the wedges to my liking and added them to the bag (one regular King wedge and one King Pur). The F9 Speedback driver came out not too long after and ended up going with that over Taylor Made and Callaway offerings I tested. At this point, I'll admit that OCD took over and I added a couple of F8+ fairway woods I found for good prices on eBay (one last fall, another this spring) to round out my bag.

Cobra Radspeed (10)

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour (14.5)

Cobra F8+ (19)

Cobra King Tec Hybrid (24)

Cobra Forged Tour (5-PW)

Cobra Black (50, 54)

Cobra Black Snakebite (58)

PING Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB Prime

Dang, that's a crazy expensive zipper! Wow, never though of using that one as an excuse for new clubs. I may have to try that at some point. And back to the OP, I play what works best for me, got a mixed bag as you can see in my sig. Doesn't bother me in the least to have different brands in the bag.

Ping G400 max
Ping G410 5 wood
Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

Titleist T350 irons
54* & 58* Sub70 JB Wedges
PXG Operator H w/ BGT stability tour shaft or  SIK FLO C with LAGP shaft

AGAINST - You can select an individual club to suit you versus just having a consistent name.

PRO - In case you have little short term memory and often leave clubs lying around, having one brand will make it easier to remember if the clubs in the lost & found are yours.

PRO - Much more likely that the CEO of the brand notices that you have 14 of their clubs, and offers you a free tour-only prototype of their newest driver to test out.

PRO - Women will notice your monoclubity, and consider you a good prospect for monogamy, and therefore will be more likely to invite you over for coffee after the round.

PROS 3, AGAINST 1. Go for it.

Possible with Titleist for me now with the following assumptions. A Titleist Tour Model Putter works as well as it did before a refinish and reshaft. It has to beat out some very stiff competition from a Wilson 8813, an Anser F and of all things a Confidence 8802 clone so good I might not even change the grip. And a Vokey TVD K grind beats out a Ben Hogan Special W wedge. The Hogan beat out all comers in a wedge fitting two weeks ago and it wasn't close. The Vokey TVD had a graphite shaft in it which may have impacted its performance. It now has a Shimada Tour Wedge Black shaft which gives it a fair chance.

In my past not a chance. I played the same set of Ping Woods and irons for 17 years with a Wilson 8802 putter.

And today a vintage Hagen TPW, a real Wilson JP, the odd Tourney Custom wedge or one of many Hogans with a custom sole grind may find it's way into my bag.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash Star 10.5 with Hazrdus Black 75g 5.5

3 wood Titlesit 913F with Hazrdus Black 75g 5.5

5 wood Ttleist 913F with Hazrdus Black 75g 5.5

Ping G5 3 iron Aldila VS Proto 95

Irons 4-9 Ping S58 Project X 5.5

Pitching wedge Ping Gorge 47 Project X 5.5

Gap wedge Ping Tour S 52 Project X 5.5

Lob wedge Ping Glide 58 SS Project X 5.5

Putter Ping Pal 2F

I gravitate to titleist but play whatever works best for my swing or what I was most recently fitted into.

Driver:  TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X 

Fairway: TSR3 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  Sim2 Tensei Orange 90TX Or Srixon ZX 2 Iron 105X

Irons:Black T200 4-5 T100S 6-AW MMT 125TX

Wedges: MG4 54 MMT 125TX and Vokey SM9 58.04T MMT 125TX

Putter: Lajosi DD201

Pro V1X Left Dash

Gotta tell you guys, I was all TM all the way, bordering on fanboy - hell, I still am in many ways.

But these Titleist irons are a thing of beauty.

Best of both worlds. When the TM or Titleist endorsement deal comes in, I'll go back to all one way...

Driver: Cobra LTDx 10.5° Helium Nanocore

Fairway: Cobra RADSPEED 18.5° Motore X

Hybrids: Titleist TSi2 21°, 24° TENSEI AV RAW Blue

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP1 24° Recoil 780

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 AMT Red

Wedges: Vokey SM8 48°, 54° Dynamic Gold; SM7 60° Modus3

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

If I had to go all one brand I’d pick Ping. A close second would be Callaway. I don’t mind mixing brands so I can hopefully use what fits me best in each catergory.

Ping G425 LST 9*
Ping G400 3W

Ping G425 Max 7W
Ping G410 4H, 5H, 6H
Ping G425 7H

Ping G410 8-U

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 2 54*

Ping G410 L
SC Special Select NP2 35”

Pros:

Consistent look/feel between products, for both club types and for mixed sets.Cons:

Using something just because it matches when you don't play it well.

There are companies that offer great products throughout the bag. There are companies that are great for one thing, and so-so for others. So this is all relative.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

I've been close but usually not totally. Right now 12 clubs Callaway/Odyssey but I really like Vokey Wedges. So I have 2 of those in bag. That’s about as close to it , maybe once in the past ??? Don’t tend to think one company has it all.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

Been mostly Ping since I worked at Golfsmith HQ ... woods to wedges and bag - PUD ... but never could find a Ping putter I liked. Now gaming Ping woods, PXG 0211 irons (perfect tweeners, Ping should have built these), Cleveland CBX wedges, and a refinished Scotty Circa 62 no. 6 (love this putter). Don’t see single brand in my future ...

The Navy Vessel IV Pro bag:

Ping G425 Max Driver Alta CB Slate R

Ping G425 Max 5w & 7w Alta CB Slate R

Ping G425 4h & 5h Alta CB Slate R

Ping G425 6-UW Alta CB Slate R

Ping Glide 3.0 54° WS & 58° Eye2 Z-115

Seemore PCB 33"

Back-up Hoofer range bag:

Ping Eye2+ 3-9 Aldila Low Torque Graphite, PW-SW KT Steel

It's easy to see why people will go toward one manufacturer. You like maybe a driver, and you think, if I like the driver I may as well get the matching 3 wood because it will play similar. And since you're already checking out the woods they carry, the irons are right there in the store or the site to also check out. Vice versa if you start with irons and then eventually get the woods. Next thing you know you're practically a brand ambassador. I don't think anyone starts out going, I must have every club in my bag from one company. It just happens that way over time.

Don't under estimate look/feel. A Titleist driver feels different to me than other drivers. The irons have a certain feel as well. Just like a TM driver feels very distinct to me and I don't really care for it. Over time you have a preference for a certain feel and you like to stick with it.

Plus, there is always the pro player influence.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

I think it is possible for a single OEM bag to work, in part because I think the OEMs have a target consumer (average golfer) in mind and if you fit that profile the bag would likely work for you.

Currently I have a mixed bag but I could easily game a full bag of PING. Callaway or Titleist would also be options for me but I don’t like the hybrids. TM I don’t like their irons. Cobra I could do a full bag but there would be a different putter.

I have just taken advantage of the PXG pricing and could easily play a full bag but would find it hard to justify the wedges over my beloved PM grind Cally wedges and also it would be hard to replace my TM hybrid. The M6 hybrid was the first hybrid to actually knock out my PING G25 hybrid that was in the bag since it came out, defeating all contenders until the M6!

Titleist TSi1 10 degree driver 

TM Stealth 4 and 7 woods
M6 hybrid
PXG 0211 irons (5 to G)
Vokey 54 D grind 58 D grind
Scotty Newport 2.5 Special Select

TM Tour Response balls

H2NO stand bag

There is nothing wrong with it. If I were to pick 1 brand that would be PING as I have done it a few years back. I'm close to being their again but I have a Ryoma F2 3We & have a Tour Edge 220 2H coming soon. Oh my bag is a TaylorMade cart bag.

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

Ok well it looks like the Tour Edge will not even be shipped till another 2 weeks, Looking for something else as it might be a PING 410 2H now

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

The most one club brand bags I see in my area , it’s gotta be Ping. You know I’ve never anyone in my area use PXGs but they have quite a following out on the www that wouldn’t buy anything else.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

I think an all one brand bag is kind of goofy and I always went out of my way to make sure my bag had some variety. Then I got lazy and did not want to try every brand under the sun, so if Titleist made something I liked I used it and didn't look further. Ironically I have 11 Titleist / Cameron clubs in my bag, but never liked the Vokeys so my wedges are Calloway.

I played all Cleveland clubs back in 2005 when I first got into golf. The main reason was they were good quality clubs throughout, especially for a relative beginner, but at the time they were significantly cheaper than the other big OEM brands like Taylormade, Callaway and Ping.

I still have Cleveland wedges and hybrids and until recently a 3 wood and putter.

If I was to have one brand in my bag these days I might lean towards Ping. I've always liked the look of their Drivers, woods and hybrids but didn't like their irons. But that has changed in recent times and the G410 or i210 are irons I would happily bag. Add the glide wedges and I already have a Ping putter. I'd definitely be happy with that setup.

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
3 (18°) & 4 (21°) Cleveland Halo XL hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

Play what works for your swing.

I play Callaway Woods, PXG irons, Ping wedges and Odyssey putter.

My bag changes frequently typically but this year has been pretty consistent and actually am trying out PXG 0211 GW, SW and LW that may replace Ping Glide Stealth wedges.

PXG 0211’s have a really strong Ping influence in their design and made my switch from years of Ping irons pretty seamless.