All one maker - reasons for and against

Vater

When I started, I had a hodgepodge of clubs - Cobra irons, TaylorMade woods, Cleveland wedges, Odyssey putter... Then I had this need to go all one maker and went TaylorMade top to bottom.

Then very recently, in my pursuit to upgrade my clubs to within the past 2-3 years, I broke from that and mixed it up again - TaylorMade driver, fairway, hybrid, lob wedge, putter, and Titleist irons 4-PW, GW, SW (Vokey).

If you go with all one brand, what are your reasons?

If you mix across categories, e.g. your irons or putter are different from the brand of the rest of your clubs, what are your reasons?

And if you literally have a different maker for almost every stick in your bag, what are your reasons?

And I'm talking about reasons beyond they play the best for you, that should be obvious. But I want to hear why some people (like I used to) go all one brand and why some people seem to just breakaway for one piece, like their driver for instance.

Driver: Cobra LTDx 10.5° Helium Nanocore

Fairway: Cobra RADSPEED 18.5° Motore X

Hybrids: Titleist TSi2 21°, 24° TENSEI AV RAW Blue

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP1 24° Recoil 780

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 AMT Red

Wedges: Vokey SM8 48°, 54° Dynamic Gold; SM7 60° Modus3

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Right or wrong, my thought when i see a one brand bags: Sponsored, Fan Boy or OCD - NOT that there is anything wrong with any of them

I buy and try a lot of equipment, and sometimes my bag mix makes me laugh, but Let's say I want new irons, but I love my driver and wedges, I would never try to fit the iron brand into my driver brand, nor would I try to switch my driver brand to match my new irons - to me that makes zero sense.

Tsr2 9*

BRNR Mini 13.5*

818 H1 20*/24*

Ping i210 6-P (29*-45*)

Ping iE1 50*/Ping Glide 3.0 54*/58*

Ping Fetch

I ended up making an all Callaway bag. Truthfully, it was just so I tucked it off the list of things I wanted to do. I don't think it hurts my scoring but there could be a club that might be marginally better than what I have. The 5W/2i/2H spot is such a tricky club selection for me that's one place that might see a change. The wedges are also debatable. I used to play RTX and I think they are every bit as good at their job compared with my MD's. Once I wear out the irons or wedges I'll be throwing it back open to the best clubs at the time I think. Actually, I've got a Ping putter on the way now so I suppose that is the first non callaway change I'll be making.

I originally went all Ping but over the last few years have swapped and changed quite a lot. What I have now works better for me in that I hit my Ping irons beautifully, but I didn’t hit their hybrids anywhere near as well as I hit Titleist. As for wedges, I just prefer the Callaway and Vokeys I have now to the couple of Glides I’ve had. And as for putters, aside from a B60, pretty much nothing in the Ping range appeals to me, if they did a wide blade or a B60 Heppler then I may be interested.

I'm adding a Ping putter to the bag which is the first non Callaway club in my bag for ages. I doubt I'll change from the Driver and 3W setup I have but the irons and wedges are up for debate once they wear out.

It's probably OCD but I just wanted to tick off the one manufacturer bag from my golf to do list. I don't think there's any competitive advantage. Although, I will say my PM grind 58* wedge is a magic wand from soft sand and deep rough.

20200714-173925.jpg

A week ago i had

Rogue Driver

Exotics 3W and Hybrid

Ping G30 Irons

Ping Zing Lob wedge

Callaway MD3 60*

Bridgestone 56

Vokey SM6 52

Scotty putter

Beat that :)

Now after getting a steal on Wilsons

I have the same woods, D7 Forged Irons, Wilson wedges, same putter. Jury is still out tho, have yet to play a full round with them.

I have a mixed bag. I pick clubs based on the performance I want. Srixon irons, Callaway driver, Taylormade 3-wood, Odyssey putter and Cleveland wedges. There are a lot of good clubs out there that could displace what I have, but why change what works. I have an old R9 3-wood that gives me the distance I want. I can hit newer 3-woods longer, but it just screws up my gaps. Putters kind of rotate. Odyssey and SC.

• Like 1

I've been all TM for years. The clubs in my gamer bag are from 2009-2017. Call me a fan-boy, but the gene pool of great clubs from TM, from the top of the bag to the bottom is so deep I can find everything I want. It's just my preference, not saying it's for anyone else. Do what you want but a mixed bag isn't my thing.

• Like 1

TM 2020 SIM, Aldila Rogue Silver 60 r
TM 2020 SIM 3w, Aldila Rogue Black 80 r 
TM 2021 SIM2 5w, Aldila Rogue Black 80 r 
TM M4 5-PW, TT XP95 S300 
TM EF 47* 52* & 56*, KBS  610, XFT 60*, KBS Hi Rev
TM CB Spider Mallet 

I'm normally first to hop in full tilt , head to toe with one brand.......but being Lefty, most times it fails for one reason or another.....

I've tried hard for an all Taylormade bag but can't find the right look and feel with wedges or putters.

Last year my search for irons ended by me getting into a combo Srixon set Z585/Z785. .went rtx4 wedges , even tried Z785 driver.....back to Taylormade however with woods and a Toulon garage putter, Bridgestone ball completes the setup.

I've been both. I have played a whole Titleist bag a few times in my life. It honestly is a bit OCD. Historically I tend to gravitate to brands for clubs. Titleist or Callaway Drivers (have gamed Ping and TM at times). Titleist, Mizuno, and recently Ping irons. Vokey wedges (but really enjoying Glide 3.0 currently), and almost exclusively Scotty Newport 2 of some variety over the years (with short affairs to Odyssey and even 2 rounds with a Spider Tour X).

For me it honestly comes down to a performance/aesthetic balance. I like the shape of Callaway drivers. Titleist drivers have always had that "solid" feel going back to the 975 models. I always feel comfortable gaming both. I like my driver and 3w to generally be from the same brand and same model line; that's probably OCD. I have predominantly played forged CBs for most of my life, so Titleist and Mizuno spent a lot of time in my bag. Pings have stepped up their game in the past few offerings and the i200 and i210 have been real winners for me. The Glide wedges blend into the feel of my irons very well. This is the longest my bag has been without a Vokey wedge since 2003 when I switched from 588s to Vokey 300 series. Hybrids to me are a crapshoot. Currently I love my 818H1, but honestly didn't get along with previous Titleist hybrids.

I will admit that I do gravitate to the one or two manufacturer set up. Currently my bag has 3 brands. I think the most it ever had was 5. I do think it's much easier to game one brand now. Multiple brands have increased quality in all clubs. There are also some years when a brand just "gets it right". Titleist in 2013/14, TM in 2016/17, Ping the last 3 years......

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus TR Blue 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 MAX 7W 21*, Ventus TR Blue 8X 

Ping G430 4H, Ventus HB Blue 9X

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5

Ping Hoofer Lite

Never had it only one brand. I did have Cleveland driver and cleveland wedges for a while in between my odyssey putter, ping irons and orlimar woods.

Now it´s taylor made driver, ping 3 wood, ping hybrid, wilson irons, still cleveland wedges and powerbilt putter.

If somebody would sponsor me I would go one make. Please give me a call :D

I went all TM last year along with the beautiful orange mini staff bag just because I think it is kind of cool to be all one OEM. A zipper broke after a couple of months on the beautiful bag and that led me back to...well you can see in my sig no more 1 OEM LOL

I kind of like the one OEM thing but am just too fickle.

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

No fan boy or OCD, but I do have predominantly Callaway in my bag. However, I've compared a lot of different clubs - I like to buy single irons (7-iron) for comparison to see if I can find something that performs better. I've also experimented with different drivers, woods, and hybrids and always come back to Callaway. My decision is performance based and it just seems that Callaway, more often than not, delivers.

I have never really gravitated to a single OEM bag, though I do have some matching throughout.

I play ping in the wedges and irons for consistency in my scoring clubs. The putter is ping too, and while there is some small satisfaction there, it was happenstance really.

Driver and 3 wood also match each other, both from Cobra, but the last two are a strong lofted Callaway 3 Iron and a Titleist hybrid.

As long as the clubs feel close and perform well a mishmash doesn't bother me too much. However, I did have to do more to tweak the oddballs to fit into the set, the pings were much more straight forward. I can definitely see some benefits to sticking to one manufacturer if you don't like rebuilding clubs.

I'm ocd.... i like all the same brand in the bag. However, I prefer the TaylorMade woods and wedges over the Titleist. So, I have tourneys irons and hybrid. TaylorMade woods and wedges. Anyways have a scotty in the bag.

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG Black Ops 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

Right now all Ping. I’m pretty OCD but not so much with golf. Titleist irons for almost 30 years. Ping putter for almost as long, with a few brief flirtations with Cameron. Played Cleveland wedges for a long time then found some vokeys that worked better for me. Drivers and fw were constantly changed. Last fall I started to realize I wasn’t getting as much out of my equipment as I should have been and decided to get fit and find what worked. It just worked out that I liked Ping, the numbers were good, and am now getting better results with every club in the bag. That it’s all one brand was just a nice additional perk for the OCD section of my brain.

Ping G425 12* set at the little - with a tour 2.0 65 stiff shaft

Callaway Steelhead III 18* 5W

Callaway Big Bertha Warbird 21* 7W

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Karsten Craz-E putter

I ended last year with a Callaway driver, Callaway 3&5 fairway and Callaway 4-PW. Titleist was in the bag with four clubs with three Vokeyss and a Cameron for two brands total.

Currently I have nine PXG clubs, two Callaway, two TaylorMade and one Bettinardi. The only holdovers are the Rogue fairway woods. I tried out the PXG irons and liked them so much I got the driver and 22’ hybrid which are winners for me. The Vokey wedges were getting replaced as they were in the bag for three years and I decided to give the MG2 a try. Putters can change on a whim.

Until this year Callaway and or Ping usually dominated the bag with the odd Titleist or TaylorMade club. Having four brands is odd for me. What that means I don’t know. I am interested in trying a PXG fairway at some point though as I am a believer so far with them.

1995ish Ping ISI k and full bag wedges putter b605bz Zing2? Steel fwys......recently tried to go Full Muzuno but mp001 drivers hard too find..love 400cc plus Mizzy wedges rarely last in my bag. Titleist are best bet if i had too now..690mb Vokeys Scotty 915 7/4/ driver?

cheers

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

All Ping here until my kids gifted me a Scotty for Father's Day, it's in the bag, I got fitted, but for sentimental reasons, it's not leaving the bag, plus it is actually a great putter...

• Like 1

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

What an awesome gift! Good vibes with a putter is always a positive and it sounds like that putter will have those good vibes in spades :)

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist 915Hd 17.5* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Stiff
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM10 50.08F, 54.10D (Raw) & 60.04T (Raw) KBS Tour Stiff
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

I am all Titleist everything and have been since I was a junior. The last non-Titleist club that I had in my bag was a Taylor Made Bubble Burner 3 wood that was in there from aged 13 to about 20. The only reason is stayed in there that long was that I never got on with the 975F fairways woods and I rarely, if ever, hit a 3 wood so the time and cost of getting something different didn’t seem worth it when I was in High School and at Uni.

My Titleist thing started with the Tel3 Newport like Tiger used. It was my first Titleist club and things just expanded from there. Getting a sleeve of Titleist Professionals or a dozen Tour Distance balls was an incredible thing back then, heck for me there is still something about opening up a new box of Pro V1x’s. All my favourite players - Tiger, Adam Scott, David Duval, Davis Love III used Titleist balls and equipment. Thinking of it now, I am not sure if they were my favourite players because they used Titleist stuff, it’s definitely a possibility.

I am sure that some of it with me is an OCD thing. I always like things to match and always have done. I feel best and most productive at work when I had an organised desk. If I am going to do something at home, I will try and have it all organised before I start. Another part of it is once I find something I like, I stick with it. FootJoy shoes - I haven’t worn anything but them for Golf since the early 2000’s. Ralph Lauren or RLX golf clothes - there isn’t much else in my wardrobe.

When it comes to golf equipment these days, all of it is so good. I have tried pretty much most of what is out there just out of interest more than anything but I am never more confident than when I have a Titleist club in my hand and a Titleist ball on the tee. In a game where confidence is such a big thing, to my mind that is a big thing and I can’t see that changing any time soon.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist 915Hd 17.5* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Stiff
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM10 50.08F, 54.10D (Raw) & 60.04T (Raw) KBS Tour Stiff
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

I've played single OEM bags many times but i get bored with them, there is always something that's better out there, whether that's the driver, or the irons, wedges etc

So i just play what i like no matter the OEM nowadays, i find myself changing a lot less as well

Ping G430 LST 9*

Ping G410 3W 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Adams DHY 21*

Ping I525 5-PW

Mizuno T24 copper 50/54/58

SIK FLO C