2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Unpopular opinions...

EDT501

I have a new one.  That today’s modern long pants are not any hotter in the summer walking vs shorts.   Maybe it’s just me.  But I hate grass sticking to my sweaty legs.  Or in the rain.  I have flip flopped this summer , but last weekend walked 36 in our club championship, wearing pants in 96 degree heat.  Led the whole way  And then lost on 18. (T2) so obviously didn’t effect my play .   Never once felt like they were “ hot “.  ( under armour brand )  if anything I felt cooler via the shade.   

• Like 4

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I wear pants too and don't have to worry about mosquitos so much like before.

• Like 2

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

1 hour ago, bladehunter said:

I have a new one.  That today’s modern long pants are not any hotter in the summer walking vs shorts.   Maybe it’s just me.  But I hate grass sticking to my sweaty legs.  Or in the rain.  I have flip flopped this summer , but last weekend walked 36 in our club championship, wearing pants in 96 degree heat.  Led the whole way  And then lost on 18. (T2) so obviously didn’t effect my play .   Never once felt like they were “ hot “.  ( under armour brand )  if anything I felt cooler via the shade.   

I'd agree with this one - don't mind playing in shorts, but when you spend as long in the bushes, nettles and other wonders you find on the golf course as I do, a little protection on the legs is needed - and that's just on inland courses - add in gorse out on the links and I'm wearing 2 pairs ?

Played 36 at Hawkstone Park in the classic British muggy 30 degree heat wearing trousers, and was absolutely fine.

• Like 2

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

4 hours ago, bladehunter said:

You're preaching to the choir as far as I'm concerned. Light colored, lightweight, breathable slacks are the most comfortable option for summertime golf. I guess people's opinions were set decades ago when "golf pants" meant heavy cotton khakis. 

I see guys wearing "cargo shorts" or similar that are made out of really heavy material and hang down over their knees. That has to be much hotter than the lightweight microfiber slacks I'm wearing but they're "shorts" so they are supposed to be comfortable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, North Butte said:

You're preaching to the choir as far as I'm concerned. Light colored, lightweight, breathable slacks are the most comfortable option for summertime golf. I guess people's opinions were set decades ago when "golf pants" meant heavy cotton khakis. 

I see guys wearing "cargo shorts" or similar that are made out of really heavy material and hang down over their knees. That has to be much hotter than the lightweight microfiber slacks I'm wearing but they're "shorts" so they are supposed to be comfortable.

Exactly.  The only shorts I’ll wear are ones who’s Inseam is short enough that they hang way above the knee. Otherwise I’d just as soon wear a garbage bag as a skirt.  But you’d be surprised how many odd comments I get on long pants.  It really drives folks nuts for some reason.   

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

3 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Exactly.  The only shorts I’ll wear are ones who’s Inseam is short enough that they hang way above the knee. Otherwise I’d just as soon wear a garbage bag as a skirt.  But you’d be surprised how many odd comments I get on long pants.  It really drives folks nuts for some reason.   

A few weeks ago, a guy I played with was wearing shorts but a very nice looking, heavy fabric, dark burgundy colored golf shirt. By the end of the round I thought he was going to pass out.

When we were walking to the car he said about my long pants, "I don't see how you wear those, I'm in shorts and I'm dying here". 

On 8/19/2020 at 3:56 PM, North Butte said:

A few weeks ago, a guy I played with was wearing shorts but a very nice looking, heavy fabric, dark burgundy colored golf shirt. By the end of the round I thought he was going to pass out.

When we were walking to the car he said about my long pants, "I don't see how you wear those, I'm in shorts and I'm dying here". 

I have some friends that only play in pants.  Not me.  I've played in fancy golf pants after work.  Much cooler for me in shorts.  My friends don't seem to suffer in their pants so wear what you want.  

13 minutes ago, LeoLeo99 said:

I have some friends that only play in pants.  Not me.  I've played in fancy golf pants after work.  Much cooler for me in shorts.  My friends don't seem to suffer in their pants so wear what you want.  

Well I'm not talking nice dress slacks. Mine are the UnderArmour ultra lightweight material. 

I would not want to do anything physically active in a pair of my wool blend dress slacks. 

Just now, North Butte said:

Well I'm not talking nice dress slacks. Mine are the UnderArmour ultra lightweight material. 

I would not want to do anything physically active in a pair of my wool blend dress slacks. 

I'm not talking worsted wool.  LOL.  I have ultra lightweight pants.  There's no air circulating.  But that's ok.  I'm not here to debate unpopular opinions.  Well, I guess I started the debate.  I can only tell you what I prefer.  

- 90% of tour players WITB photo features are boring

- Pre-scandal Tiger would never have agreed to the Monster Energy sponsorship

- very few recreational players need 14 clubs in their bags

• Thanks 1

Driver:    Taylormade SIM2, Graphite Design ADVR

Fairway: Ping G410 Rogue Silver 110

Hybrid:   Ping G410 KBS Prototype

Irons:      Srixon ZX5 MKii, Accra iCWT115

Wedges: Ping Glide 4.0, 46, 50, 54, 58

Putter:    Kevin Burns

Ball:        Wilson Triad

15 hours ago, Dash Boogie said:

- 90% of tour players WITB photo features are boring

- Pre-scandal Tiger would never have agreed to the Monster Energy sponsorship

- very few recreational players need 14 clubs in their bags

The last point is spot on. I think a half set in a lightweight carrybag is all that golfers need even low cappers!

• Like 1

I always love when this thread pops up.  Everybody seems annoyed at what other golfers do, but I bet they are 100% positive they are doing it 'the right way' and don't do things that get on other people's nerves..

• Like 2

PING G430 Max 10.5 

PING G430 5w
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

• 1 year later...
On 8/20/2020 at 5:22 PM, chippa13 said:

If he isn't slowing anyone down and he's enjoying himself then why do you care?

Pace of play. If he played up and reaches in two that equals to less shots per round and quicker play. 

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

2 hours ago, PuffyC said:

The PGA Tour should play some events at average munis that aren’t manicured masterpieces. Let them chip from hardpan, hit from rough that hasn’t been mowed in months, and play in all kinds of nonsense that is never marked GUR.

I'd watch that

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics 722E

5w - Sub 70 949X

4H - Ping G425

4-6i i200s

7-UW i210s

56*, 60* - Sub 70 286

Putter - Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Ball - Vice Pro Zero 

On 8/19/2020 at 7:50 AM, bladehunter said:

Here’s another.  Today’s spikes do NOT afford the same grip in the wet  as metal spikes.    I’ve tried every brand.  And while the best don’t slide much . They still chew grass and slip on bare areas.  I ordered a set of stinger metal hybrid inserts to test on the range and it’s night and day.     I didn’t grow up playing golf.  So I’d never worn metal , and my curiosity just had to know why most pros still play champ hybrid metal on their shoes. I now know .  You don’t slide any. Not even in fairway bunkers.     I realize they are still illegal , and I can’t use them.  But just had to say.  We are missing out On traction. 

I grew up wearing metal spikes and don’t miss them, but then I currently don’t wear golf shoes because they’re all pretty terrible. Try a good trail running shoe instead, like the Salomon Speedcross 5 or Merrel MTL Long Sky. Way more comfortable, way more traction, and they won’t hurt greens.  I’ll never go back to wearing ‘golf’ shoes again.

• Like 3

On 8/21/2020 at 9:22 AM, chippa13 said:

If he isn't slowing anyone down and he's enjoying himself then why do you care?

Narrator: He was slowing everyone down.

• Like 1

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

allignment lines on golf balls add to the length of a round.   

• Like 1

G430 MAX 10K 9° w/ventus velocore red 5s

G430 MAX threewood ping chrome tour2 65 S
Taylor Made SIM MAX2 5wood w/ventus velocore blue 7

Adams 23º 9031 proto w' diamana ahina 82
Eye2   3-SW

Oddessy Rossie nsl og slant neck.  

On 8/19/2020 at 8:44 AM, bladehunter said:

Agree 100%. When I first started playing (60s) everyone wore long pants. Was not only just understood to be part of the tradition of golf, it was actually explicitly required at almost all private courses, and many public ones . That certainly has relaxed over time, but I still always wear them. (Traditions have been gradually loosening for the last century - heck, in the 1920s a lot of the guys played with dress shirts and ties. No one today would even remotely conceive of playing golf in a tie.)

Tried shorts for about a year a couple decades ago. After one round that resulted in badly scratched calves (turns out trying to whack a ball that is next to a blackberry bush is a seriously unwise idea - but the RoG don't have exceptions for people in shorts), another round where I found a couple of ticks on my leg, and (finally) another round that left me with a nasty rash from what was probably poison ivy, the shorts got permanently retired. I consider long pants to be more like a piece of equipment than apparel. Wouldn't need them if I was always in the fairway, but even the top 10 on tour are not always in the fairway.

And I do love modern materials these days. Have mostly UA, Adidas, and Puma pants. The fabrics used for the summer ones are now incredibly light and airy, and very comfortable to wear. But surprisingly tough and resilient ... have no worries about thistles or high rough. And I find no difference in heat - don't seem to be any hotter than shorts. 

• Thanks 1

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag