2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Is Rory still the best player in the world?

sonnygolf

No.

The talk for the last six years is that when he is on his A game his his unbeatable. When was the last time we saw this A game with any great consistency? He had a great 2019 - 4 wins - but for players at his level, they are not judged on how many Canadian Open’s they win. It’s majors and nothing but and at this moment, he has fallen behind expectations. Back Door Top 10’s are about all he has produced in majors for the last 5 years and I cannot recall any major where he hasn’t thrown in at leat one ridiculous round where he has played himself out of genuinely contending. His old A game is not currently within his reach. What’s more, I wonder how much desire there is there to put in the work to get back to it.

I can see guys like JT, Rahm, Bryson all still hungry for what Rory had putting the work in and grinding their asses off. They aren’t sitting at home reading books on philosophy or meditating.

JT’s putting wasn’t with him this past week but I would take him over Rory when they are both at their best.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

I wonder was Rory was too good early and didn’t have a proper childhood and college years and he’s almost trying to overcompensate now.

He left school at 16 pretty much to play full-time golf and it wasn’t because he wasn’t intelligent. Most of the other top players certainly finished school at the very least and had a bit of college life.

It is great to enrich your life by reading but maybe Rory has too much perspective for top level golf if that’s such a thing. Great for life but not for winning major tournaments, where you need to be delusional and believe this is the most important thing in the world even when it isn’t.

• Like 3

Yeah, I am totally with you on that point. Can you imagine Tiger on any of Rory’s peers sitting down and flicking through a book called ‘Ego is the Enemy’? Not a chance. That’s not a slight on them at all but to me, it just speaks that their focus is somewhere else.

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

There is no standout #1 right now. JT, Bryson, Brooks, Rory, Rahm, and Morikawa are going to be a revolving #1 soon. It’s useless to say “If X player has his A game, he’s unbeatable” since most players have their A games for a short time not named Tiger Woods in his prime and the players don’t have their A games simultaneously to judge.

• Like 1

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

I wouldn't put him as a clear number 1 and probably not number 1 at all. He just hasn't put it together in the majors. Brooks, JT, Rahm, and now Morikawa all have to be right up there.

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15* Devotion HB 75-X
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

Morikawa is playing the best golf in the last 12 months and just won a major. So right now I'd saw he's the best player out there.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Rory hasn’t been sharp since the re-start and consequently isn’t OWGR #1 at the moment, but overall he is the best player younger than Tiger, and it isn’t close.

Most weeks at #1, most majors, most wins overall, second most PGA Tour wins, most Fed-Ex Cups, most PotY.

In the past 10+ years, he’s been in the OWGR top 10 for all but a handful of weeks.

• Like 1

I may be in the top 5 fans of McIlroy but his short game is pathetic right now. His putting may not be up to any of our levels.....his wedge game has been suspect since the shutdown as well so, he has a ways to get back to # 1....is he capable? yea, but he needs to stop with the birdie birdie birdie runs followed by double double routine...prior to the shutdown, he was borderline dominant with a real chance of winning 2 majors this year.....the covid shutdown really hurt Rory.

Personally I don’t think he ever had been. DJ is if he’s in full flight. But I don’t know if we’ll see that again.

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I think Rory puts a lot of pressure on himself going into these majors. I'm not sure what the answer is. He needs to find his killer instinct. He drifts at times. Maybe a caddie that will tell him what's up instead of having his childhood friend on the bag. He needs work on his flighted wedges but his short game around the greens is pretty impeccable. His putting comes and goes but that's the same as everybody else. He seems to have most of the pieces but these young guys don't seem to be afraid of anybody and they aren't going away.

I think we are in another Greg Norman era myself. A lot of good players but none significantly better than the rest of the field. As others have said I too think there are about a half a dozen you could throw a blanket over.

Majors are interestingly consistent for the most part. I started at 1960 and looked at each decade (40 championships)

60's - 3 repeats accounting for 17 wins (Arnie, Jack, Player)

70's - 7 repeats accounting for 24 wins (Jack, Trevino, Player, Miller, Irwin, Watson, Stockton)

80's - 8 repeats accounting for 23 wins (Jack, Watson, Seve, Nelson, Strange, Lyle, Faldo)

90's - 8 repeats accounting for 19 wins (Faldo, Price, Olazabal, Els, Janzen, Daly, O'Meara, Tiger)

00's - 6 repeats accounting for 23 wins (Tiger, Phil, Padraig, Vijay, Goosen, Cabrerra)

10's - 6 repeats accounting for 17 wins (Rory, Koepka, Spieth, Phil, Bubba, Kaymer)

I'm not sure what this shows other than almost every decade the same number of guys are winning multiple majors.

I would say at this time it’s JT. It’s not by a wide margin but he wins more than Rahm and has been more consistent than Rory. If Colin keeps going he may be. The one variable is the no crowd factor. Some of these guys play much better with nobody watching them while other get energy off of it.

• Like 1

Justin Thomas has this hunger in him that I don't see with Rory or Fowler or any of these other guys. Deshambou also has that hunger but he's a bit wacko. (is shaming BD and/or hurting his brand allowed?)

TM SIM Max 10.5* Atmos Blue 65S
TM M3 3W Matrix Ozik HD6 S

TM M4 Rescue 3
TM M3 Rescue 5

Srixon 565 5-P PX LZ 5.5
PING Glide 52*SS 58*WS 60*TS
Odyssey #9 O-Works

I assume that everyone is doing that same as me looking at that list - seeing the name Kevin Streelman and thinking HOW?!

• Like 1

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

I don't think there is a clear #1 just now, at all. This is a really interesting interim period where there are lots of contenders, as the PGA leaderboard just showed.
Rory's weird claim a while back that he'd always win over 100 rounds (?!) also seems a) dodgy and b) irrelevant when his major drought is now 6 years and counting. Rory McIlroy: 'I had to take a long, hard look at myself after Portrush'“I am obviously good enough, I can win World Golf Championships and FedEx Cups. If we played 100-round tournaments I would come out on top every time as shown by my stroke average, strokes gained and stats. But tournaments are over four. It’s putting those four together.”
Lol.

• Like 1
  • PING G400 Max 9* Tensei Orange 60 S
  • PING Anser 17 / 20* hybrids Graphite Design 85S
  • Miura PP-9003 Straight Neck 4-PW Nippon NS Pro 750 GH wrap tech
  • Miura 52, 56 K forged wedges / PING Eye 2 LW beryllium copper
  • Nordberg Halvdan custom / PING Cushin Scottsdale zip / PING Jim Wells Zing 5KS SN / PING Vault 2.0 Ketsch 380g, etc.

There is no #1...its just a revolving door....the PGA is headed in the wrong direction if you ask me.....we need rivals, we need scoring improvements, we need a dominant figure...we dont need 350 yard drives, 400 yard drives....we need skills...not driver-wedge, driver 9 iron shots....the PGA is so boring to me right now....but Rory may be the most talented but his short game is horrible right now

For me, it can be summed up with a shot I hit last Friday. 

75 yard wedge from the middle of the fairway after a perfect drive, completely ate it with my distance control and blew it 30 feet past the hole. And immediately mumbled to myself "Nice one, Rors."

I love the guy but yeah ... 

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

Not even close. When was the last time he genuinely contended in a major, say on the back 9 on Sunday? 

Rory has become a master at shooting himself out of tournaments and getting in his own way. He has admitted himself that he wishes he could still play with the carefree abandon he did in his youth. 

IMO he's too mentally fragile, overthinks things and hasn't done enough to improve the weak parts of his game (wedges and putting). He's now been left behind by a bunch of other players who can legitimately be considered to be better than him. 

Edited by MMB1500