Monte's new No Turn - Cast

Hawkeye77

Mirror work at home.  Hard parts are:

- put tape on floor for feet position so your reference point is same

- put tape on mirror so you can match hands where it should be for P2 and where it should be P3 (keep it simple)

Take backswing with eyes on ball to where you think you need to be for P2, pause, feel it, turn head to mirror to see if you are correct, if not, congrats you just felt what it is like when it is wrong.  Move your hands/arms to where it is supposed to be, put eyes back on ball, pause, now you know the feel when it is right.  Repeat over and over and over...until you are only getting the hands to the right P2 position every time.

Do this all over again for P3.

10 minutes ago, CasualLie said:

Mirror work at home.  Hard parts are:

- put tape on floor for feet position so your reference point is same

- put tape on mirror so you can match hands where it should be for P2 and where it should be P3 (keep it simple)

Take backswing with eyes on ball to where you think you need to be for P2, pause, feel it, turn head to mirror to see if you are correct, if not, congrats you just felt what it is like when it is wrong.  Move your hands/arms to where it is supposed to be, put eyes back on ball, pause, now you know the feel when it is right.  Repeat over and over and over...until you are only getting the hands to the right P2 position every time.

Do this all over again for P3.

Honestly, I don't think there's any need to worry about P2. Have the intention to get to P3 and P2 takes care of itself. 

I get what you are saying, but so many golfers come off the ball all wrong with wrists/arms that they do need that P2 work.  Also, there is a risk of thinking you are at correct P3 because it feels right, even has the "appearance" of being right (from the wrong angle), but the reality is you messed up the takeaway and there will be compensations.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CasualLie said:

I get what you are saying, but so many golfers come off the ball all wrong with wrists/arms that they do need that P2 work.  Also, there is a risk of thinking you are at correct P3 because it feels right, even has the "appearance" of being right (from the wrong angle), but the reality is you messed up the takeaway and there will be compensations.

That makes sense. I guess that the wrists starting the backswing makes it feel like that first move is so tiny that it's hardly worth considering. If it helps then go for it though. 🙂

Padraig Harrington's got a new YouTube video up on getting the wrists active in the golf swing. I'm struck by how well it jives with Monte's instruction. Particularly, Paddy dispels all the "holding the lag" and "casting" nonsense and tells you to get throw those damn wrist angles away.

• Like 2

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 deg.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Odyssey White Hot Versa #1

1 hour ago, MaineMariner said:

Padraig Harrington's got a new YouTube video up on getting the wrists active in the golf swing. I'm struck by how well it jives with Monte's instruction. Particularly, Paddy dispels all the "holding the lag" and "casting" nonsense and tells you to get throw those damn wrist angles away.

think this may be helpful to me. I have been trying to speed up the arms forever and get the left arm off the chest, but no matter what i do my right elbow never gets in front of my hip. Maybe i need to focus on using the wrists more to help the arms speed up. focusing on just the arms  may not be enough.

Cobra LTDx 10.5

TEE C722 16.5

TEE C722 19

Srixon ZU85 22

New Level 902 5-PW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50,54,58

Odyssey White Hot OG # 7

2 hours ago, Elkhair said:

think this may be helpful to me. I have been trying to speed up the arms forever and get the left arm off the chest, but no matter what i do my right elbow never gets in front of my hip. Maybe i need to focus on using the wrists more to help the arms speed up. focusing on just the arms  may not be enough.

Years ago I went to Monte for a lesson and I had the same problem as you. He placed the ball way forward in my stance, like outside my front foot. Got my left arm off my chest instantly and changed my swing forever. I still use this drill every time I warm up.

Cobra Speedzone Camo Edition w/ GD Tour AD DI
Cobra F6 Baffler 16.5* w/Diamana Blueboard 63
Mizuno MP 20 HMB 3-PW w/ DG 105

Mizuno S18 50*/55* 

PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 60* ES 
PING Cadence TR Ketsch Mid

5 minutes ago, Lordswood said:

Evening all.

Looking at my swing ‘face on’ the shaft is neutral with a slight cupping of the left wrist.  As I’m struggling to flatten the left wrist it would seem that a slight shaft lean at address thus flattening the wrist from the start might help achieve that flat wrist at p3

Nope.  Presetting isn’t the way to address this issue if there is one.  Depending on relationship of hands on club on will be flat, blowed, or cupped when the trail wrist is extended.   

Edited by glk

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

1 hour ago, Lordswood said:

Evening all.

Looking at my swing ‘face on’ the shaft is neutral with a slight cupping of the left wrist.  As I’m struggling to flatten the left wrist it would seem that a slight shaft lean at address thus flattening the wrist from the start might help achieve that flat wrist at p3

consider this, instead. A critical move for me

You can’t cheat what’s supposed to happen dynamically.  As a matter of fact, trying to cheat a dynamic motion almost always ends up in the opposite result.

The downswing has to abide by Newton’s 3rd law.  If you try and create a reaction directly, you get the opposite.

Edited by MonteScheinblum
  • Like 1

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

48 minutes ago, MonteScheinblum said:

You can’t cheat what’s supposed to happen dynamically.  As a matter of fact, trying to cheat a dynamic motion almost always ends up in the opposite result.

The downswing has to abide by Newton’s 3rd law.  If you try and create a reaction directly, you get the opposite.

Is this another April fools?? 😂

11 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:

Can you give an example? Like trying to bow the wrist in the downswing won't accomplish it?

Cobra LTDx 10.5

TEE C722 16.5

TEE C722 19

Srixon ZU85 22

New Level 902 5-PW

Odyssey White Hot OG # 7

On 3/30/2021 at 5:26 PM, Lordswood said:

After playing yesterday I went to the range today (open again) and really disappointed with how things look with my swing 🙁

Really struggling to get the club more vertical in the backswing even though it feels like I’d made real progress, this in turn producing a poor clubface at the top. 

I feel like the left wrist should be pointed more to the ground does this seem right?

Also feels like I’m doing Cast A but clearly the video says otherwise. Will stick with it as the feeling is there. 

E2C2AE55-5B24-4270-98B5-B60573F5FF88.png

8452CCBB-6BB6-4BDE-BD5F-09A57F432E7D.png

806FFEBF-C518-4E08-A290-507083D80AB3.png

^^^^^^^^^^^^

wont let me add text to the above for some reason anyhow.  I would be a little less rigid in your set up and have arms relaxed and hanging straight down. May need to be a tad less bent over with the ball a hair closer. 

Your takeaway the left arm works away too much you look look like you are turning your head so you can see the club head. You don’t get to 7 at left arm parallel. This lack of depth continues through the swing and is highlighted starkly in the 3rd pic when the left arm is far to close to the target line as opposed to your hands being over your feet. The shaft isn’t as steep as it looks it’s just in the wrong place.

The top of your swing the arm structure is good(can’t see how much bend in right arm from dtl) the club face is pointing skywards and the left wrist is flat enough. Imagine if your left shoulder was down more and left arm deeper it would be miles better. You need steeper shoulders and deeper hands. 

Try adding pressure from your left armpit to your chest till left arm parallel. See if your arm is now at 7 and your hands are in front of your chest. 

• Like 1

Anyone having issues accessing the website right now? I referred my friend to download the app so he can check out the vids and the app isn't even on the App Store anymore. The website just pulls up a blank page.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5* Riptide Regular
Wood: Adams Tight Lies 4w 16* Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Tight Lies 2 4h 22* Stiff
Irons: Sub70 699u 5i/6i, 699 7-PW
Wedges: Callaway MD2 52* Tour Grind, Callaway MD2 58* Tour Grind
Putter: Odyssey Stroke Labs #10

4 hours ago, RyKnocks said:

Anyone having issues accessing the website right now? I referred my friend to download the app so he can check out the vids and the app isn't even on the App Store anymore. The website just pulls up a blank page.

same. not working

Cobra LTDx 10.5

TEE C722 16.5

TEE C722 19

Srixon ZU85 22

New Level 902 5-PW

Odyssey White Hot OG # 7

21 hours ago, Hilts1969 said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^

wont let me add text to the above for some reason anyhow.  I would be a little less rigid in your set up and have arms relaxed and hanging straight down. May need to be a tad less bent over with the ball a hair closer. 

Your takeaway the left arm works away too much you look look like you are turning your head so you can see the club head. You don’t get to 7 at left arm parallel. This lack of depth continues through the swing and is highlighted starkly in the 3rd pic when the left arm is far to close to the target line as opposed to your hands being over your feet. The shaft isn’t as steep as it looks it’s just in the wrong place.

The top of your swing the arm structure is good(can’t see how much bend in right arm from dtl) the club face is pointing skywards and the left wrist is flat enough. Imagine if your left shoulder was down more and left arm deeper it would be miles better. You need steeper shoulders and deeper hands. 

Try adding pressure from your left armpit to your chest till left arm parallel. See if your arm is now at 7 and your hands are in front of your chest. 

Steeper shoulders and deeper hands, thanks for that makes perfect sense. 

Played today and much better performance. Just need to keep with the practice 👍🏼

• Like 1

no issues on iPad with chrome

https://rebelliongolf.com/

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

On 4/2/2021 at 4:38 AM, Elkhair said:

Can you give an example? Like trying to bow the wrist in the downswing won't accomplish it?

More along lines of presetting impact conditions at setup.  So adding shaft lean, or bowed lead wrist ( kinda go together) or open hips, reverse k, etc.    just adds more complexity to backswing and rarely addresses reason why golfer doesn’t attain those in swing.

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified