Taylormade SIM 2.0

TRC723

On 4/23/2021 at 2:07 AM, Cactus Jack said:

I haven't played the stock Ventus, but I do have a Velocore version. In my opinion the Blue and Ventus feel very similar. Honestly, in a blind test, it would be hard to tell them apart. Personally, I love the Blue. The shaft provides an incredible load sensation followed by a lively kick into the ball. It doesn't feel tip whippy, but it does provide a lot of action, primarily through the mid section. 

I’m gamling the SIM2 with RDX blue 6.5. SS110. 
Haven’t tried the Velocore so can’t comment on the comparison but 100% agree with this assessment of the rdx blue

On 4/23/2021 at 4:07 PM, phizzy30 said:

Good question.  I would guess they do.  According to TM the SIM 2 with their stock shaft offerings comes out to D5 but that's at 45.75 inches I believe. 

Yes they adjust the head weight. I ordered mine at 44.5" and they put a heavier weight in the head. (the small weight on the bottom of the club)

• Like 1

PXG Black Ops Swing Balance Yellow
Ping G430 LST 3w Ventus Red 8X

Ping G430 Max 7w Ventus Red 8X

PXG 0317T 4-P, SteelFiber PR

Ping i159 50*, 54*, 58*

L.A.B. DF2.1 Stability Tour

On 4/24/2021 at 12:03 PM, alwaysmooth said:

Nasty!!! Looks so clean in this color scheme. Making me wish I ordered a custom one as well lol.

Thanks!

Cally Epic Speed and Mavrik Std 9* with Tensei 1k White 50s, Titleist TSi2 4w RDX Black, Callaway Apex 3 Hybrid 19* 70S, Titleist TSi2 4Hy, Mizuno 223 PX 5.5IO PW-5i, Titleist 50.08F, 54.10S, 58.08M, Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft Premier 11 35" putter; Driver SS 99-104mph, 4.0 index

Lovin' the SIM2 Max/RDX Blue combo so far.  Played my first 18 with it Sunday and it just wants to go straight. I can fade it easier than draw but that's always been the case for me.  I appear to be finding the middle of the club face MUCH more frequently than with OG SIM Max, but this is probably the shaft vs. head.  More consistent than Epic Speed but haven't tried the RDX Blue in Epic.  I can try the Smoke Yellow in both (and Mavrik) to test contact and dispersion but I don't have the RDX with a Cally adapter.  Actually was playing Smoke Black in Epic instead of Smoke Yellow with better results, pre SIM2, but had ordered the SIM2 with RDX Blue before making the switch.  It'd be interesting to see how RDX Black performs with SIM2 but can't imagine it better than the Blue (although I am renting the Ventus Black and others to try in SIM2).  I didn't think my 'measly' 99-104 SS could handle the Ventus Black but I was able to demo it with the Epic on the range a couple weeks back and hit it surprisingly well, although I think I could notice I wasn't able to load it as efficiently as the Smoke Black.  Smoke Black in Epic Speed works really well for me when I'm swinging well.

Cally Epic Speed and Mavrik Std 9* with Tensei 1k White 50s, Titleist TSi2 4w RDX Black, Callaway Apex 3 Hybrid 19* 70S, Titleist TSi2 4Hy, Mizuno 223 PX 5.5IO PW-5i, Titleist 50.08F, 54.10S, 58.08M, Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft Premier 11 35" putter; Driver SS 99-104mph, 4.0 index

1 hour ago, Freddie said:

Lovin' the SIM2 Max/RDX Blue combo so far.  Played my first 18 with it Sunday and it just wants to go straight. I can fade it easier than draw but that's always been the case for me.  I appear to be finding the middle of the club face MUCH more frequently than with OG SIM Max, but this is probably the shaft vs. head.  More consistent than Epic Speed but haven't tried the RDX Blue in Epic.  I can try the Smoke Yellow in both (and Mavrik) to test contact and dispersion but I don't have the RDX with a Cally adapter.  Actually was playing Smoke Black in Epic instead of Smoke Yellow with better results, pre SIM2, but had ordered the SIM2 with RDX Blue before making the switch.  It'd be interesting to see how RDX Black performs with SIM2 but can't imagine it better than the Blue (although I am renting the Ventus Black and others to try in SIM2).  I didn't think my 'measly' 99-104 SS could handle the Ventus Black but I was able to demo it with the Epic on the range a couple weeks back and hit it surprisingly well, although I think I could notice I wasn't able to load it as efficiently as the Smoke Black.  Smoke Black in Epic Speed works really well for me when I'm swinging well.

Also loving the RDX Blue in my Sim2.  Playing a 70gram 6.5 with MCC+4 Midsize grips(anything I can do to fight a snap hook!). It's a great feeling shaft for sure and the sound and feel of the clubhead is amazing.

• Like 1

For anyone who has swapped out the fron TPS weight, does the screw clock in like most other driver weights and did you put some loctite on the threads similar to factory?

TSR3 9* - Diamana WB 63X

Mini Burner 13.5* - HZRDUS 4G 70 6.5

Cobra Radspeed Tour 5W - LAGP Trono 7S 

Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 19* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

Srixon ZXU 4 23* - MMT 105 

ZX7 MKii 5-P - 120 X100

Fourteen RM 52/58 - Modus 125 Wedge

SC Champions Choice Newport 

11 hours ago, Freddie said:

Below is my take on the RDX Blue vs Black. Also, I have an Epic Speed LS with a Smoke Yellow shaft. I'm still testing, but one thing I noticed immediately was the Epic was much heavier than my SIM. I'll weigh the heads soon and do a full review. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2021 at 6:00 PM, copegolfer said:

Went to local PGASS today and was able to buy the last midsize Z grip they had. So I’ll have it ready when my driver comes in. I was blown away by the lack of grip availability! 
CP

lol funny i play same grip.   Good luck 

• Like 1

TM M5 9* Fuji Tour Spec 63x Mizuno ST190 15* Tensei White 7x TM M1 Hybrid 19* Fuji Atmos blue x Mizuno 919 tour 7-pw Nippon Modus 120x Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli Hi 3-6 Nippon Modus 120x Cleveland RTX4 52,56,60 DG Tour Issue S400 Odyssey Stroke Lab R-Ball TM TP5

29 minutes ago, malfunkshun said:

When ordering online on the TM site there is a section for 'loft sleeve adjustment'.

If I plan on playing a 9 head at 8.25 and I select -0.75, does that just mean they will line up the shaft graphics/grip logo on that setting or does it mean anything else?

Thanks

Where are you seeing that? 

1 hour ago, malfunkshun said:

When ordering online on the TM site there is a section for 'loft sleeve adjustment'.

If I plan on playing a 9 head at 8.25 and I select -0.75, does that just mean they will line up the shaft graphics/grip logo on that setting or does it mean anything else?

Thanks

Yes... I did that for mine. 10.5 set at lower, graphics are all lined up.

Driver- Taylormade SIM 2 *10.5 set at 8.5*, Ventus Black 6X

3 Wood- Taylormade SIM 2 15* set at 14.25*, Atmos Tour Spec Blue 7X

5 Wood- Taylormade SIM 19* set at 19.75*, Tensei Orange 80TX

Driving Iron- Taylormade P790 UDI 18*, Tour AD DI 95X

Irons- 4-PW Callaway Apex TCB Raw, Project X LS 6.5

Wedges- Taylormade Milled Grind 2 black 50*, 55*, High Toe Raw 60*, Nippon Modus 115 Black Wedge 

Putter- Ping PLD Prime Tyne 4, Ping PLD Anser 2 matte raw or Spider Tour Red

On 4/2/2021 at 7:04 AM, gioguy21 said:

gonna sound crazy -- went for 3w testing yesterday and ended up going with last years SiM Ti rocket 3w. I really wanted to leave with the SiM2 Ti; just couldn't justify the price difference when looking at them head to head. 

i think the previous gen SiM actually felt a bit better to me too.

i still have the OG Sim Ti rocket 3w in the bag from last year. Think it’s the best 3w I’ve played in a long time. 

• Like 1

Very interesting Head to Head over on TXG's channel!!

Spoiler

Surprised that the SIM2 Max came out slightly lower spin than the SIM2!

Is it that this year the heads are simply identical apart from slight draw bias to the Max

Also interesting to see again that the lofts are at 10.5...there seems to be a tour trend towards 10.5 heads too....wonder why??

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, nickosbad said:

Very interesting Head to Head over on TXG's channel!!

Reveal hidden contents

Surprised that the SIM2 Max came out slightly lower spin than the SIM2!

Is it that this year the heads are simply identical apart from slight draw bias to the Max

Also interesting to see again that the lofts are at 10.5...there seems to be a tour trend towards 10.5 heads too....wonder why??

Yea it was, I really like Driver Bracket on that channel they put out good stuff. both did well but the results were a bit surprising to me.

Shows how good both heads are paired with the player.  The amount of 180 plus ball speeds YES by Mattie Boy!

• Like 1

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

Not seen this being talked about as yet, but as a loyal TM 'non-staffer' I'm noticing something I've not seen before at it relates to the pros...

Very few of the top guys (other than Rors) have tried and stuck with the SIM2 Drivers, most have gone back to the original SIM. Once again, can't recall a TM driver in the past 10 years that seemingly has not got the love of previous releases from the professional ranks.

All indications are is it's not resonating with their top staffers, etc. Most reviews seem to put it as a 'slightly' better performing club than the first SIM, but certainly the best of the best players out there aren't buying in...

Wonder if TM is pushing the panic button and wished they would have decided to hold off on SIM2 until 2022 which was rumoured per challenges posed by the pandemic.

Thoughts?? 

:taylormade-small: Qi10 Ruby Red 460 Driver 9.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S)
:taylormade-small: BRNR Mini-Driver 11.5D* (Fujikura Vista Pro 55S
:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 3 Fairway 15.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S
:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 3 Hybrid 19.5D (Fujikura Vista Pro HB 70S)
:taylormade-small: Stealth Irons (KBS C-Taper Lite 110 S) (4-LW) Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals / Irons)
:taylormade-small: My TP Soto Silver and Black Putters* (Custom / KBS CT Tour) - Golf Pride :taylormade-small: Pistol
:taylormade-small: My Spider Tour X3 Putter* (Custom / KBS Black PVD) - SuperStroke Zenergy Pistol GT 1.0
:taylormade-small: Supreme Cart Bag (Black / Red) :taylormade-small: TP5 Golf Ball
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart / :skycaddie: SX550 GPS / :bushnell: ProX3 Laser Rangefinder

(*Interchangeable to adhere to 14 club rule)

13 minutes ago, tarrantian said:

Not seen this being talked about as yet, but as a loyal TM 'non-staffer' I'm noticing something I've not seen before at it relates to the pros...

Very few of the top guys (other than Rors) have tried and stuck with the SIM2 Drivers, most have gone back to the original SIM. Once again, can't recall a TM driver in the past 10 years that seemingly has not got the love of previous releases from the professional ranks.

All indications are is it's not resonating with their top staffers, etc. Most reviews seem to put it as a 'slightly' better performing club than the first SIM, but certainly the best of the best players out there aren't buying in...

Wonder if TM is pushing the panic button and wished they would have decided to hold off on SIM2 until 2022 which was rumoured per challenges posed by the pandemic.

Thoughts?? 

I think it is a combination of several things, and a bit of a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. Releasing a really good product like the OG SIM is like a band releasing a killer album; in the moment it is great but the expectations are then higher for your next effort with more scrutiny. Deviate too much from what made the original so successful and you risk alienating people, but release something too similar/iterative and it won't make enough of a splash. The SIM2 by all accounts is very iterative and addressed what were really only minor issues in the OG SIM line, namely MOI/stability. That doesn't exactly mesh with the image of all this visible tech with the additional carbon fiber, forged aluminum back, and streamlined Speed Injection though, so you're "marketing story" feels a little scattered. 

If we look at the TS3 to TSi3 however we see a similar "evolution" but with more success on the surface. The TS3 and the OG SIM are actually very similar in that they are massively low CG, low spinning heads with big distance but a bit unstable for some. Both of their follow ups addressed the stability by moving CG further back while keeping it down, but the TSi3 also went back to a much more beloved traditional pear shape AND improved the sound and feel in most people's eyes while adding a better weight adjustment system. All much more objective steps forward I think. The SIM2 however kept basically the same shape, didn't change much in terms of sound/feel, and actually reduced the adjustability. This feels much less like an objective step forward and more of an iterative sidestep IMO. 

Edited by Valtiel
  • Like 3

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

19 minutes ago, tarrantian said:

Thoughts?? 

Wow, you truly are a TM fanboy from looking at your bag.  All good bro.  I've been a faithful follower of theirs for their drivers, fairway metals and hybrids for decades.  I've noticed as well as you have that a lot of the staffers have switched back to the OG SIM.  I have to admit that it's that good.  Makes me seriously think about switching back to mine but I'm getting such good results with my SIM 2 on the course that mine SIM is sitting in the bedroom slowly collecting dust............

Edited by phizzy30

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

2 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

I think it is a combination of several things, and a bit of a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. Releasing a really good product like the OG SIM is like a band releasing a killer album; in the moment it is great but the expectations are then higher for your next effort with more scrutiny. Deviate too much from what made the original so successful and you risk alienating people, but release something too similar/iterative and it won't make enough of a splash. The SIM2 by all accounts is very iterative and addressed what were really only minor issues in the OG SIM line, namely MOI/stability. That doesn't exactly mesh with the image of all this visible tech with the additional carbon fiber, forged aluminum back, and streamlined Speed Injection though, so you're "marketing story" feels a little scattered. 

If we look at the TS3 to TSi3 however we see a similar "evolution" but with more success on the surface. The TS3 and the OG SIM are actually very similar in that they are massively low CG, low spinning heads with big distance but a bit unstable for some. Both of their follow ups addressed the stability by moving CG further back while keeping it down, but the TSi3 also went back to a much more beloved traditional pear shape AND improved the sound and feel in most people's eyes while adding a better weight adjustment system. All much more objective steps forward I think. The SIM2 however kept basically the same shape, didn't change much in terms of sound/feel, and actually reduced the adjustability. This feels much less like an objective step forward and more of an iterative sidestep IMO. 

Agree.  The OG SIM for me can get a bit wild at times but when my swing is on, it flat out performs.  My SIM 2 is more forgiving though on mis hits which is probably why it's still my gamer atm.  I like that the SIM is a bit fade biased for me and that I can still turn it over.  Launch is just a tad to high for my liking but the spin difference is marginal.  The OG SIM has a cult following for sure and will be considered a classic in due time like the FT-9TA was.  When you have last year's Masters winner and this year's PGA winner still gaming the SIM, it says a lot. 

• Like 1

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

1 minute ago, phizzy30 said:

Agree.  The OG SIM for me can get a bit wild at times but when my swing is on, it flat out performs.  My SIM 2 is more forgiving though on mis hits which is probably why it's still my gamer atm.  I like that the SIM is a bit fade biased for me and that I can still turn it over.  Launch is just a tad to high for my liking but the spin difference is marginal.  The OG SIM has a cult following for sure and will be considered a classic in due time like the FT-9TA was.  When you have last year's Masters winner and this year's PGA winner still gaming the SIM, it says a lot. 

Yup agreed, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the pros had their OG SIM's tweaked to get the best of both worlds. IMO all the OG SIM needed was a little less weight forward and they could easily drop the front weight and increase the backweight, or trade it for some hotmelt on the tour van and address any of the stability concerns. Someone in the know on here even said that pros were doing this, I think it was J13. This would make the SIM2 a bit redundant for them, especially for prominent faders of the ball like DJ and Morikawa. 

I'm actually working on a double SIM setup since the the 10.5 turned down with a heavier weight and hotmelt in the back is such an automatic anti-left driver that I wanted to build something I could also turn over more easily. I'll be trading 6g from the front weight for hotmelt in the rear again with a longer shaft and a more square face to hopefully get that big draw bombs while the inherent fade bias of the head will keep the toe strikes from knuckling too much. I actually have a brand new SIM2 in the box that I got as a warranty replacement (awesome of TM to do that) that I may just sell, especially if the dual setup works like I hope it will. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Bridgestone 

14 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

Yup agreed, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the pros had their OG SIM's tweaked to get the best of both worlds. IMO all the OG SIM needed was a little less weight forward and they could easily drop the front weight and increase the backweight, or trade it for some hotmelt on the tour van and address any of the stability concerns. Someone in the know on here even said that pros were doing this, I think it was J13. This would make the SIM2 a bit redundant for them, especially for prominent faders of the ball like DJ and Morikawa. 

I'm actually working on a double SIM setup since the the 10.5 turned down with a heavier weight and hotmelt in the back is such an automatic anti-left driver that I wanted to build something I could also turn over more easily. I'll be trading 6g from the front weight for hotmelt in the rear again with a longer shaft and a more square face to hopefully get that big draw bombs while the inherent fade bias of the head will keep the toe strikes from knuckling too much. I actually have a brand new SIM2 in the box that I got as a warranty replacement (awesome of TM to do that) that I may just sell, especially if the dual setup works like I hope it will. 

I've decided to keep my OG SIM as my back up.  I cracked the face on my SIM MAX last year and went driver less for about 2 weeks.  Had to borrow my cousin's SIM for awhile which isn't even close to my specs.  Dark times.  Just by looking at your setup it seems as though you have some serious ss.  I bet you've cracked a few faces in your day.  I suggest keeping your SIM 2 as your back up or at least see if your proposed OG SIM set up works out well and if it does, just sell your SIM 2 and get another OG SIM head as your back up.  Either way it's a win win situation.   

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

I've decided to keep my OG SIM as my back up.  I cracked the face on my SIM MAX last year and went driver less for about 2 weeks.  Had to borrow my cousin's SIM for a which isn't even close to my specs.  Dark times.  Just by looking at your setup it seems as though you have some serious ss.  I bet you've cracked a few faces in your day.  I suggest keeping your SIM 2 as your back up or at least see if your proposed OG SIM set up works out well and if it does, just sell your SIM 2 and get another OG SIM head as your back up.  Either way it's a win win situation.   

Hah, dark times indeed. I am not nearly as fast as some on here, I am a 115mph average kind of guy with enough in the tank to get to 120+, but I trade some speed for stability. I have always had pretty solid launch conditions though so I get a lot out of my speed and my driver heads are always heavy, normally around 3w headweight. My 10.5 fade SIM at 44.5" weighs 347g total whereas the stock SIM2 out of the box weighs 321g. I can get well over 120mph with a club like that but the ball will just go absolutely everywhere. My draw SIM is 45.5" and I will be tweaking the headweight to bridge the gap between heavy headed control and light headed scramble driver bombs. If this setup works well then the SIM2 definitely hits the BST. If it doesn't then I will continue tweaking it and may considering trying the SIM2, but I just that as soon as I take the plastic off and hit a ball that i'll get less for it. 

It has actually been a long while since I blew up a head (exploded the crown off an R11 in 2011-ish). I just don't play nearly as much these days, so i'm just hitting fewer balls. I also never hit hard range balls with my woods when I can avoid it, and the range I was frequenting from 2016-2019 had a mix of generic range balls and random premium refurbs, so I always saved those to hit with the woods. That probably helped a bit. 😅

• Like 1

Bridgestone 

7 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

Hah, dark times indeed. I am not nearly as fast as some on here, I am a 115mph average kind of guy with enough in the tank to get to 120+, but I trade some speed for stability. I have always had pretty solid launch conditions though so I get a lot out of my speed and my driver heads are always heavy, normally around 3w headweight. My 10.5 fade SIM at 44.5" weighs 347g total whereas the stock SIM2 out of the box weighs 321g. I can get well over 120mph with a club like that but the ball will just go absolutely everywhere. My draw SIM is 45.5" and I will be tweaking the headweight to bridge the gap between heavy headed control and light headed scramble driver bombs. If this setup works well then the SIM2 definitely hits the BST. If it doesn't then I will continue tweaking it and may considering trying the SIM2, but I just that as soon as I take the plastic off and hit a ball that i'll get less for it. 

It has actually been a long while since I blew up a head (exploded the crown off an R11 in 2011-ish). I just don't play nearly as much these days, so i'm just hitting fewer balls. I also never hit hard range balls with my woods when I can avoid it, and the range I was frequenting from 2016-2019 had a mix of generic range balls and random premium refurbs, so I always saved those to hit with the woods. That probably helped a bit. 😅

Oh man, I also demolished the face on my old tour issue R11 dot head and that was toe side.  That one happened while I was at the range fine tuning my driver swing eons ago.  Lesson learned.  Never hit 15 balls in a row with driver with range balls that are as hard as rocks.  MY SIM MAX exploding was a total freak accident when I hit it off the 18th tee at one of the local munis and it felt really weird coming off the face and made a very strange sound at impact.  I get you about driver being too light to the point where the chances of spraying it increase exponentially.  I'm the same way.  Used to play my drivers at D3.  I then found out by adding more hot melt to the head and getting it up to 200 grams with a typical 70 gram range shaft puts me at D5 is what I should've gone with all along.  Better late then never, right?  Ever since then my dispersion has tightened up quite a bit.  I will still hit the occasional quacker, but am finding myself less often OB and more towards the tree line at worst on my bad drives. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1