2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Matthew Fitzpatrick whines about BDC...

manku

12 minutes ago, munichop said:

Like many kids I played a wide array of sports when I was young. I was fortunate to play against guys in basketball who ended up in the NBA. I played tennis against a kid who got to Wimbledon. After college in golf, I played against the best Amateur in my State. Golf was the only game I had a chance. So I understand a little the notion of a level playing field.  The pga men are playing a course the same length as the women this week after the 5 percent altitude adjustment.  All sports try to identify the best. Players adapt to rule changes.  Golf is a different game when so many designed hazards are no longer in play. Don’t believe me? Move up 700 yards on your home track. Distance is not out of control, just out of control when the pros play a course designed for 260 yard carries, which they play almost every week. They move bunkers but the contours of the landing areas make a huge difference. Matt is right but the failures were 30 years ago.

Yes. Agree 1000 %.  The failures were absolutely 30 years ago.   It’s not Brysons fault.  He’s simply showing the holes in the game.  

but.  The worry is now that like anchored putters haD kids In these instruction camps  learning the game with a belly putter , now these holes being shown will have kids playing Bryson golf from the start.  .   And 99% of courses at the local level will not hold a kid flying it 300 with a 3 wood.  And 320 with a driver.  Lol.  .   The old adage of “ fairways and greens “ plus a driver and ball that wouldn’t allow this to this degree , throttled it just enough to make sense.  That governor is lifted.  Period.  The question is what will it do going forwRd ?  

The horse is out of the barn.  But I don’t think that means there aren’t any options for corralling it. You don’t have to put it back in the barn to keep it from eating the neighbors alfalfa.  Just getting it back onto the property might be enough.  

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

4 minutes ago, dab said:

Length by taking advantage of the current tech and rules is smart but only half the game- you still have to fight the mental battle to achieve the lowest score.

Yes.  Absolutely..... but it minimizes the mental game.  It’s hard to argue that a pitching wedge over water into a par 5 ( as Bryson had yesterday ) isn’t less of a mental battle than say a 5 iron from 200 over that same pond.   Or maybe even a 2 iron from 230 over that pond.    That’s exactly the other pros arguments against it.  That it makes “the game “ ( which usually refers to the mental strategic game ) too easy. 

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 4

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 hour ago, bladehunter said:

I don’t know.  It’s like this.  I find myself watching Bryson.   Like people watch a train wreck on YouTube where they know nobody died , or these epic fails videos kids   Watch.  I’m not watching him as amazement more than just a gawker at the spectacle.  

In my opinion Fitzpatrick can be both correct and a bad look on this at the same time.  The truth isn’t always pretty.   

there are many guys who could and will add length using this method of “ damn it all “ swing like you don’t need your back in 5 years .     But what will it do to the game whne theres 20 in the field who can do it.   ? 

Bryson isn’t a particularly gifted athlete.  I gaurantee you his vertical jump and 40 times are uninspiring.  Id bet he isn’t a first pick at even pickup basketball.  That sort of thing.    Sure. He’s currently beating this game.  But the idea that he’s somehow doing something nobody else will do , is crazy.  He’s not tiger.  And people copied that example. They’ll surely copy this one.   So I think it’s great to question what it will do to the game going forward.  

Barry Bonds Pittsburgh, 30 or so Hr at 180 lbs great fielder 

Barry bonds SF Giants - 70+ hr at 240 lbs 

size punishes speed kills , BAD generating more speed with size , playing the “electoral college statistics tee to green”  

Rory , DJ , Tony F , more orthodox right there with BAD.   

Arnold Palmer - swing your swing , that is biometrically approximate for your body type 

Mathew F , I have some free gym passes for your b______h a** , lead follow or Get TF out the way . 

• Like 1

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

Basketball isn’t ruled by short guys at 5’10” anymore is it?   Could the kids on Hoosiers beat the Lakers?

• Like 2

Cally AIS TD 11.5* Ventus Black 5x

Cally AI Smoke TD 16* AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Cally Apex 5h 26* Apache MFS 85x

Ping i210 6-7 & s55 8-PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59* SF 125s

LAB Mezz Max

10 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

There’s a nobody who used to hit 300+ yard drives 40 years ago with persimmon and balata when he wanted to on his way to 18 major titles, 19 second place and 9 third place finishes.

Lol.  Jack is always used as an excuse though.  But did he hit 378 yard par 4s at will ?        I’m all for long guys ruling the roost.  What I’m concerned with is scale.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

What percentage of sports records have fallen / dropped each decade in the last 100 years?  Swimming, track and field, rowing, the mile, the marathon, etc etc 

Physical evolution with tech gains to help

• Like 2

LAB Mezz Max

2 minutes ago, cardoustie said:

Basketball isn’t ruled by short guys at 5’10” anymore is it?   Could the kids on Hoosiers beat the Lakers?

Lol. Maybe if the 3 point line and shot clock were removed.   4 corners killed many tall teams which is why the clock came to be.  To force shots.      

• Like 1

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Fitzpatrick says “the skill is to hit it straight.” Well, straight’s all relative, isn’t it? I don’t see Fitzpatrick hitting 85% of fairways or whatever...if Bryson’s only 10% less “straight” than him at ball speeds up to 30 mph higher, what does he really have to cry about?

It’s not like this dude’s out here making eagles from 3 fairways away...in order to shoot low scores, you still can’t be taking drops or playing from behind trees or hitting 120-yard hooks around cacti or whatever - a drive that misses a fairway by 10 yards but flies 340 in the air would seem to require a high degree of skill 

Edited by 8milespast
  • Like 1

I remember when we got rid of tweeds and neckties. Anyone could play well when they are comfortable! Fitzpatrick would look ridiculous if he put 40 lbs. on that skinny frame. If anyone could do it, he’s free to try. Shoot, he couldn’t hit within 20 yards of Bryson before Bryson put on all the weight.

• Like 1

There was a time John Daley destroyed St Andrews with Ti & 2-piece. There was a time where Tiger owned the PGA with power and the best ball control from tee to cup ever witnessed. There was a time when a choice could be made on what the future of golf ought to be. Daley's formula won. Bryson is a nerdy Daley. Frankly, I don't think it lasts. The pile of injuries being tempted here are too many too list. Top tier golf has always been about spin control. Tech has diluted that aspect and deluded people thinking that power is what makes them special. The fix is rather simple but it won't happen till folks stop watching or caring.

Straight and long to be admired ... DJ, Rory, Champ, Wolff, and Finau are there now ... and 10 - 20 others will follow suit

talking about long drive guys is apples to oranges.   BDC is an established tour player that evolved to near LD length while hitting it on the planet ...

Edited by cardoustie
  • Like 3

LAB Mezz Max

Bryson was 5th in the OWGR in 2018, prior to these changes. Some people are talking as if he walked in off of the long drive tour. He was and is a highly skilled player. You have to be incredibly skilled to reach 5 in the world at golf, which is largely a game of skill.

Hitting it long (and straight) IS a skill. Fitzpatrick is wrong there. Jack did it. Daly did it. Tiger did it. Rory does it. DJ does it. etc.

If there's any skill that has contributed to winning the most over the past 50 years it's probably long (relatively straight) driving. But of course you have to combine it with good great iron play, short game, and putting. Which Bryson is doing. There is no weakness in his game. 

As Jordan Spieth said on the subpar podcast, Bryson is rolling the heck out of the rock. 

Honestly I bet if you take away Bryson's driver he'd still be better than Fitzpatrick. 

Edited by straightshot7
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, bladehunter said:

That’s his point though.  Is it “ the game passing by “?  Or is it “ the games “ last death squawk before it morphs into a new game ?      I’m not arguing it. I just think folks are reading it with blinders on.   At some point “ the game “ ceases to be if it continues towards a long drive affair.  Right ? 

The game has been evolving rapidly for a long time. It just seems like it's faster now.  The biggest change so far has been the ball. That changed everything almost overnight. Most players had to re-learn how to play the game with the new ballflight. Bryson is just the latest to push the limits.  More power to him.

The more interesting aspect of his game is the idea of developing his swing at the limits of his joint movement.  I can understand wanting to limit the variability in his swing, but that sounds like it could stress those joints.

Edited by cxx

24 minutes ago, cxx said:

The game has been evolving rapidly for a long time. It just seems like it's faster now.  The biggest change so far has been the ball. That changed everything almost overnight. Most players had to re-learn how to play the game with the new ballflight. Bryson is just the latest to push the limits.  More power to him.

The more interesting aspect of his game is the idea of developing his swing at the limits of his joint movement.  I can understand wanting to limit the variability in his swing, but that sounds like it could stress those joints.

No doubt it’s going to get interesting.  If he goes to Augusta with a 48 inch driver and breaks records , something is getting rolled back.   Question then is will he sue and blow up the game publicly?  I feel like a show is coming.  And I’m not a Bryson hater.  In fact I’ve preached a ton of his methods longer than he’s been around.   Upright swing , upright putting , and long wedges have always been in this tall guys  bag.  Anyway.  I guess we will sit and watch what happens. 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 hour ago, nikeblades00 said:

Also lets all take a second to realize even before the 384 yard drives, Bryson was a phenom. He was a top ranked junior, a NCAA champion, and hes won multiple times on the PGA tour. This guy is alot more than just a bomber. The kid is a player. 

Not everyone can hit it long, and not everyone who hits it long could play golf at the professional level. What makes BD unique, thus far, is that he can control that length. Props to him for being able to do so, and putting in the work to get to that point. 

• Like 4