Short Game Epiphany

Had an epiphany the other day regarding pitching the ball around the green, which lead to this question:

When you are hitting short game shots (except bunker shots), do you fell like you are initially taking the club back with you bottom hand or your top hand? If you don't know what I'm talking about, go out to the backyard with a LW or SW and make a motion like you are going to hit a simple pitches that flies 5 yards or so and runs out a bit. When you take the club away, pay attention to which hand seems to be more in control at the beginning of the takeaway.

• Like 2

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65 - S
Titleist TS2 15* 3-wood - Tensei Blue - 65 - S; Titleist 918 5-wood 19*. Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65 - S
Titleist 818 H1 21* Atmos Tour Spec Blue - S
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s-400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had an epiphany the other day regarding pitching the ball around the green, which lead to this question:   When you are hitting short game shots (except bunker shots), do you fell like you a

Both hands. If I use one or the other the club gets off plane. 

Lot's of confusing posts with this top/bottom definition, so I'm gonna say it this way. I am a right handed golfer and I struggled my whole golfing life until I started doing it all (in my head) with

I love this guys stuff, Brandon Stooksbury.  He basically has the backswing build from a bump and run, hinge and hold, to a mini wedge, his terms.  The first backswing for the bump and run is all shoulder driven.  Then the hinge and hold builds from shoulders to hinging the wrists a little.  The last backswing for the mini wedge is adding some arm swing.  

So to answer your question Obee, I start my backswing with my shoulders only, neither hand.  

Titleist TS3 10.5 Graphite Design BB 70X
Titleist TS2 15* HZRDUS X
Callaway Super Hybrid 20* Tensei Orange X
Ping i210 4-U X100
Ping Glide 3.0 56* & 60* S400 Half Moon Grind
LAB Blad B2
ProV1

23 minutes ago, Gsea said:

Top hand (that's rh for me a rh player),  it also controls the distance by controlling the acceleration on the return.

You chip and hit short pitches cross-handed ?

Wow. I can't even PUTT left hand low. 

Want more posters to read and reply ? "[EMBRACE] THE LINE BREAK"

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 9.0 Tour AD TP-6 Stiff

Ping G400 hybrid, 19*, 70 gr Stock Stiff

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, 52, 60, DGS300

Vokey SM8 56/08 (Thanks WRX !!!)

Seemore MT7 Face Balanced (Today)

Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow/Black

28 minutes ago, Gsea said:

Top hand (that's rh for me a rh player),  it also controls the distance by controlling the acceleration on the return.

Wouldn't that be your bottom hand when you are addressing the ball?

Titleist TS2 15* 3-wood - Tensei Blue - 65 - S; Titleist 918 5-wood 19*. Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65 - S
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff

10 minutes ago, b.helts said:

Interesting. It would be awesome to be able to see everyone’s pitching swing and then read their feels. 

I’ll bet we could come up with some pretty strong “universal truths”.

It seems every short game guru explains it a bit differently.  Even the “use the bounce” guys like Monte, Phil Rodgers, Utley, etc. all explain it a bit differently.  In the end they are all accomplishing basically the same thing. 

I pick 14 of the following:
Ping G400
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood
Ping G 400 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS
Grips NDMC +4
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer
ProV1x-mostly
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

50 minutes ago, dlygrisse said:

It seems every short game guru explains it a bit differently.  Even the “use the bounce” guys like Monte, Phil Rodgers, Utley, etc. all explain it a bit differently.  In the end they are all accomplishing basically the same thing. 

Yup. I realized that by initiating the takeaway with my top (left) hand on short shots, the resulting shot was markedly different than if I initiated takeaway with my bottom (right) hand (which is my normal method). 

Taking away with my right hand results in a lower, "spinnier" shot with more "spin-loft(?)" Taking away with my top hand results in a (all other things being equal) higher shot.

Very interesting.

Edited by Obee
typo
  • Like 1

Guess I misunderstood - top for me is the hand laying over the other, so right  hand and right handed. Should have said “bottom” but nobody is looking to me for short game advice. 

Did enjoy Nicklaus in one of those GC films on this morning saying in working with Phil Rodgers he discovered the use of the sole of the club vs. the leading edge pretty late in his career.  Helped him win two majors in 1980. Here’s an article that foreshadowed them. https://www.google.com/amp/s/vault.si.com/.amp/vault/1980/04/07/a-little-help-from-a-friend-when-jack-nicklaus-finally-saw-that-his-short-game-needed-work-he-called-in-phil-rodgers-who-even-as-a-fellow-rookie-in-1962-had-more-shots-than-jack-did

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 1
16 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Guess I misunderstood - top for me is the hand laying over the other, so right  hand and right handed. Should have said “bottom” but nobody is looking to me for short game advice. 

Did enjoy Nicklaus in one of those GC films on this morning saying in working with Phil Rodgers he discovered the use of the sole of the club vs. the leading edge pretty late in his career.  Helped him win two majors in 1980. Here’s an article that foreshadowed them. https://www.google.com/amp/s/vault.si.com/.amp/vault/1980/04/07/a-little-help-from-a-friend-when-jack-nicklaus-finally-saw-that-his-short-game-needed-work-he-called-in-phil-rodgers-who-even-as-a-fellow-rookie-in-1962-had-more-shots-than-jack-did

Great article.  It’s been a long time since I’ve read that.  I really miss all of those old SI, Gold Digest and Sporting News articles, back when they had great writers and story tellers. 

• Like 1

Ping G400
Ping G 400 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Grips NDMC +4
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer
ProV1x-mostly
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

Trevino is interesting, every time he gets on his soap box, and starts going on a rant he tells a new story.  I swear he never says the same thing twice, I really think it depends on what he is working on that day, he is a constant tinkerer.  There are some true golden nuggets in what he says, but you need to be careful or you may go down opposing rabbit holes.  

• Like 1

Ping G400
Ping G 400 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Grips NDMC +4
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer
ProV1x-mostly
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

12 hours ago, Obee said:

Yup. I realized that by initiating the takeaway with my top (left) hand on short shots, the resulting shot was markedly different than if I initiated takeaway with my bottom (right) hand (which is my normal method). 

Taking away with my right hand results in a lower, "spinnier" shot with more "spin-loft(?)" Taking away with my top hand results in a (all other things being equal) higher shot.

Very interesting.

I am the exact opposite @Obee

Left hand focus for low skippers .. more of a hold the left side driving shot

Loose and releasing right hand for high soft shots

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max Graphite Design AD XC 6x

Ping G400 5w Diamana Blue B 80s G400 7w GD PM902s

Callaway Apex 4h 23* Matrix HQ3x Apex 5h 26* Fubuki 82x

Mizuno 919T 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype 95 f4
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD 56*M & 59*M, 64* Recoil Proto 95 f4

Piretti Matera Elite

1 minute ago, cardoustie said:

I am the exact opposite @Obee

Left hand focus for low skippers .. more of a hold the left side driving shot

Loose and releasing right hand for high soft shots

Yeah, it's interesting. I just loved how focusing on a different takeaway in the short game instantly yielded a different result. Was really cool. I was like, "Hmmmm, I wonder what would happen if I took the club away by pushing my left hand back..."

And I was only focusing on that. I agree with you about the downswing, I'm the same way as you for sure. Was only talking about the initiation of the backswing.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Obee said:

Yeah, it's interesting. I just loved how focusing on a different takeaway in the short game instantly yielded a different result. Was really cool. I was like, "Hmmmm, I wonder what would happen if I took the club away by pushing my left hand back..."

And I was only focusing on that. I agree with you about the downswing, I'm the same way as you for sure. Was only talking about the initiation of the backswing.

Hmm

Generally I don't think about the backswing greenside ... curses

Ping G400 Max Graphite Design AD XC 6x

Ping G400 5w Diamana Blue B 80s G400 7w GD PM902s

Callaway Apex 4h 23* Matrix HQ3x Apex 5h 26* Fubuki 82x

Mizuno 919T 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype 95 f4
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD 56*M & 59*M, 64* Recoil Proto 95 f4

Piretti Matera Elite

I chip cross-handed and just use my putter stroke ( rock the shoulders ) to complete the chipping stroke. And just to add short game is by far the strongest most consistent part of my game.

DRIVER -    Taylor Made Sim Max 8* | 🔥🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥🔥
3 WD -        Taylor Made Sim Max 14* | Ventus Red Regular 
HYBRIDS-   PXG Gen 2 -  2/3/4 | Accra Tour 100i Stiff
IRONS -       PXG Gen 3 -  0311XP 5 - GW | Accra Tour 90i Stiff
WEDGES -  Ping Stealth Glide 2.0 54-12 / 58-06 Wedges | Wedge Flex
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX XL ULTRALIGHT grips on ALL 
PUTTER -   PXG One and Done w/JUMBOMAX 17" FLAT
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag
BALLS -       Snell MTB Black / Pro V1

Just now, cardoustie said:

Hmm

Generally I don't think about the backswing greenside ... curses

Yeah, I never did either, but I definitely started thinking about it with my putting several years ago. Buddy of mine (who just won the Cal Seniors at Poppy) asked me how I take the putter away and if it changed with green speeds. Completely changed my putting forever (take it away with the top hand when greens are very fast and slick), and I wondered what that would do to my chipping if I tried it. Pernice seems to also take it away with the top hand on short shots, too, sometimes.

4 minutes ago, SEP1006 said:

I chip cross-handed and just use my putter stroke ( rock the shoulders ) to complete the chipping stroke. And just to add short game is by far the strongest most consistent part of my game.

That's a great, simple way to chip. It can be problematic when a pitch that stops quickly is actually called for. Tough to spin the ball when you are using a putting motion.

Taking the club away with the bottom (right) hand can tend to de-loft the club on takeaway and lead to lower, spinnier shots.

There's a bit more control with the bottom hand but I feel like the hands work together. I really feel like my chipping takeaway is done more with my forearms than my hands. I try to get a simple little forearm pendulum with a touch of bottom hand for face control. The slight wrist hinge in my chipping motion is more bottom hand than top. 

Now, if I want a bit more spin or a bit more height on a shot then my takeaway is more top hand. If I want more hinge then it's more tip hand dominant. 

Being nuts, I have two grips, depending on the flight I want.

I use my regular overlap and take it back with top hand for a stock pitch if the ball isn't close to the hole, regular, bare or buried lie. It's not a low flight at all, it's predictable and usually online.

I use a reverse overlap and start with right hand to keep the face from closing for a lob or if I'm not using a wedge. On a long pitch, I use a 9-iron with this grip and fly it halfway to the hole ("standard" green speed and flat) or adjust. I'm pretty good at this shot and rarely more than a couple feet from the hole. Many people are fixated on the line, but it's poor distance control that hurts them. It's a no-brain technique, which is perfectly suited to no-brain guy like me...

• Like 1

My last and final comment was January 17, 2021.