New TP5 and TP5X for 2021

SSP217

On 7/8/2021 at 12:50 AM, buckethat72 said:

I think this is to do with the 2021 ball?  I agree the 2019 was great and Ive stocked up now they are on runout as I wasnt happy with the durability issues I had with the new balls.

people used to say the 2017 ball was horrible for durability.....so much in fact TM had to out claims in their marketing to say "more durable".   The 2019 ball came out and was just like ANY OTHER ball but critics still shouted "NOT DURABLE"........i am seeing the same rhetoric with zero proof.....just makes me curious thats all

Edited by tsecor

On 7/8/2021 at 9:10 AM, tsecor said:

people used to say the 2017 ball was horrible for durability.....so much in fact TM had to out claims in their marketing to say "more durable".   The 10292 ball came out and was just like ANY OTHER ball but critics still shouted "NOT DURABLE"........i am seeing the same rhetoric with zero proof.....just makes me curious thats all

Completely agree. 

I don't quite understand why the same conversation comes up with each and every new release ball, especially the higher end urethane balls...I don't quite know why people would expect any urethane cover ball to legitimately last more than a round without any halfway decent scuffs. 

I choose my ball on all of its performance characteristics, not how durable it is. Like some of the other comments on here said, if you're worried about a ball lasting longer without damage, maybe a 3 piece Surlyn cover ball would be better. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 Ventus TR Blue 6X
Titleist TSi3 HZRDUS Smoke 6.0

Mizuno MP20 HMB 18* HZRDUS Smoke 6.0
Kyoei KK Black MB 4-PW KBS Tour 125 S+
TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 50/9
TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 54/11
TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 58/11
TaylorMade Tour Preferred Bandon 3
TaylorMade 2021 TP5X

This is after 10 holes with the 2019 TP5x today.  I've been hitting my irons and wedges well.  This is the 2nd ball this has happened to me in the past 4 rounds.  It happens.  Not a reflection on the quality of the ball, it just happens with urethane balls.  The TP5x has a thinner cover than the TP5.  I haven't played the 2021's yet and I don't think that will happen.  I have 14 dozen balls pretty much evenly split between the 2019 TP5x and the TP5.  

IMG_8692[1].JPG

IMG_8693[1].JPG

• Like 1

On 7/8/2021 at 7:21 AM, monks66 said:

how is the 2021 TP5 off driver spin wise?  long irons?

I’d like to hear this as well 

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Have played the TP5X for 4 years and have not had any durability issues. That includes new clubs introduced along the way. I do retire a ball if its looking bad, but that has been after many rounds. Usually, it is scuffed up, but again, It has many rounds on it.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

The last few years I have been a Tour BX player, won a dozen 19  TP5x Yellow last year, really liked them. Bought the 21 TP5x version in yellow, first swing with gap wedge, peeled the paint. Driver made my regular 4-some laugh, spun like crazy, have never seen a ball fly like these. Lost a ton of distance, ball just ballooned. I emailed TM asking about the new ball compared to the old, they probably think I'm crazy.

I am a scratch player with 115 MPH driver speed. I have seen some other people mention the same flight issue. I tried the ball again a couple rounds later, same issue....so confused!

I like the yellow golf balls but not sure what to play, guess I will go back to the white BX, though I have not tried the new version.

10 hours ago, Kornfused said:

The last few years I have been a Tour BX player, won a dozen 19  TP5x Yellow last year, really liked them. Bought the 21 TP5x version in yellow, first swing with gap wedge, peeled the paint. Driver made my regular 4-some laugh, spun like crazy, have never seen a ball fly like these. Lost a ton of distance, ball just ballooned. I emailed TM asking about the new ball compared to the old, they probably think I'm crazy.

I am a scratch player with 115 MPH driver speed. I have seen some other people mention the same flight issue. I tried the ball again a couple rounds later, same issue....so confused!

I like the yellow golf balls but not sure what to play, guess I will go back to the white BX, though I have not tried the new version.

wow

the 2019 X was a very low spin ball......

the 2021 TP5 is also a low spin ball off the driver.

you should try a x-frim ball with that speed.....The left dash prov1 is a beast with faster swing speeds....

21 hours ago, Kornfused said:

Pretty sure that's the first time I've heard of those complaints with the 2021 TP5X. I mean, I've heard complaints from people who liked the 2018/19 version because the 2021 feel is completely different...but all of the things you "claim" make literally no sense at all. 

Questionable first post (at best). 

• Like 1

TaylorMade 2021 TP5X

32 minutes ago, golf_addict73 said:

Pretty sure that's the first time I've heard of those complaints with the 2021 TP5X. I mean, I've heard complaints from people who liked the 2018/19 version because the 2021 feel is completely different...but all of the things you "claim" make literally no sense at all. 

Questionable first post (at best). 

More like BS first post.

Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Just now, trackcoach13 said:

More like BS first post.

I mean, I'm not saying you're wrong. lol. 

Considering I've been playing the ball for the past 3 or 4 months and the 2019 since it came out, I like to think I'm slightly qualified in regards to how the balls perform. 

but, then again, we are on the interwebs. 

TaylorMade 2021 TP5X

Just now, Kornfused said:

No reason for me to put a bs post out there regarding any ball, just telling you what happened to me with the ball. Believer me, i am not a fan of spending $50 on a dozen balls to only hit 2 of them. Had a first ever ball fitting today and ended up in the LD prov, see how it goes when i play it.

Believer me, you are full of it.

On 7/13/2021 at 5:31 AM, Kornfused said:

I noticed exactly the same thing today. The drives just ballooned and landed 40-50y shorter then my bridgestone bxs ball.. Strange all othet shots were fine with irons and wedges. 

• Haha 1
TaylorMade SIM2 Driver Tour-AD IZ 60X
TaylorMade M5 3-wood Tour-AD IZ 70X
Bridgestone Tour B Driving Iron #3 AD DI-85X
TaylorMade P7MB (4-PW) Project X LZ 6.5

TaylorMade MG3 50°/54°/58° Dynamic Gold S400

Nike Method #006 proto

Bridgestone Tour BX

1 hour ago, Zpin said:

I noticed exactly the same thing today. The drives just ballooned and landed 40-50y shorter then my bridgestone bxs ball.. Strange all othet shots were fine with irons and wedges. 

Yep, TaylorMade released a ball that is 40-50 yds shorter than their competitors. I have played that ball on multiple occasions and had no such issue. My SS is 105. Matt from TXG tested it at 120 mph SS and saw no issues.

It is not my ball of choice but suggesting it was 40-50 yds shorter because of the ball is just plain ridiculous.

Edited by trackcoach13
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Long time tp5 player and a big fan. The 2019 was definitely inferior to the later models in terms of durability but was still great. And I still have a few dozen of them. 

I will usually only get one round in with one. 

They (2019- current) are certainly not short on any club and I hit them the same distance as the 2021 Pro V1s. 

But I got to admit, I’m more impressed with the Pro V1 over the TP5 this year. 

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 9* Project X Denali Black 60
Titleist TSi2 18* 5W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4

Titleist TSi2 21* 7W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4
Titleist TSi2 26* 6H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

Titleist TSi2 29* 7H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

PING i210 7-UW PING zz-65

PING s159 S 54* PING zz-115

PING s159 E 58* PING zz-115
L.A.B. Golf DF3

I've been very impressed with the TP5 Pix and just bought a dozen TP5x Pix to try out.

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

1 hour ago, trackcoach13 said:

Yep, TaylorMade released a ball that is 40-50 yds shorter than their competitors. I have played that ball on multiple occasions and had no such issue. My SS is 105. Matt from TXG tested it at 120 mph SS and saw no issues.

It is not my ball of choice but suggesting it was 40-50 yds shorter because of the ball is just plain ridiculous.

I always get a good laugh when I read oh I played so and so ball and lost 10-15 yards with this club and the spin went up 2,000-3,000 rpm. Folks it’s the Indian not the arrow. Unless you are playing garbage range balls, no two new golf balls will have a 40-50 yard gap. Let alone 10-15 yards. Sometimes I can’t tell if people are posting troll posts or if they are being serious. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, ASN21 said:

I always get a good laugh when I read oh I played so and so ball and lost 10-15 yards with this club and the spin went up 2,000-3,000 rpm. Folks it’s the Indian not the arrow. Unless you are playing garbage range balls, no two new golf balls will have a 40-50 yard gap. Let alone 10-15 yards. Sometimes I can’t tell if people are posting troll posts or if they are being serious. 

I hit a severe low cut with my driver today, caught it with the very bottom edge of the face. Old fashioned upshooting slice that went about 175 yards. Launch monitor said something like 6,000rpm. 

Guess if I'd happened to make that swing the very first time I hit a different golf ball I might think the ball was seriously messed up. But I'd at least tee up another one and see what happened when I hit it somewhere on the clubface.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, North Butte said:

I hit a severe low cut with my driver today, caught it with the very bottom edge of the face. Old fashioned upshooting slice that went about 175 yards. Launch monitor said something like 6,000rpm. 

Guess if I'd happened to make that swing the very first time I hit a different golf ball I might think the ball was seriously messed up. But I'd at least tee up another one and see what happened when I hit it somewhere on the clubface.

We have all done it. But I would hope you would not come here and post today I hit the new Pro V1 and it had 6000 RPMs of spin and I lost 75 yards.

2 hours ago, Tupperwolf said:

I've been very impressed with the TP5 Pix and just bought a dozen TP5x Pix to try out.

I was really tempted to go for the pix when I placed my order for my case of TP5X earlier this season. Ultimately decided against it and put my business logo on it, but I love the look of the Pix design. 

TaylorMade 2021 TP5X

6 hours ago, trackcoach13 said:

I never said that they released a ball that goes shorter. I played 18 holes with the new ball yesterday and I noticed this. I cant say why it ballooned and were that short but I hit my regular gamer side by side and didnt see that flight on that one. Of course I cant say I hit them exactly the same since Im human. But even I have not seen that flight on my regular gamer just saying. I used to play the 19’ TP5 and loved the ball so just strange that I saw this flight pattern of the new ball. But I seem not to be the only one experience this?

TaylorMade SIM2 Driver Tour-AD IZ 60X
TaylorMade M5 3-wood Tour-AD IZ 70X
Bridgestone Tour B Driving Iron #3 AD DI-85X
TaylorMade P7MB (4-PW) Project X LZ 6.5

TaylorMade MG3 50°/54°/58° Dynamic Gold S400

Nike Method #006 proto

Bridgestone Tour BX

Have they flipped the profiles of these again? I loved the original TP5 but found the 2019 version spun a lot off the driver and that cost me distance. Not 50 yards, but definitely one club less.

So I switched to the TP5X in 2019 which I was not a fan of from a feel perspective. But it performed - lower spin and higher flight.

Was really looking forward to the 21 update because I knew they would address the feel issue. 21 TP5X definitely feels softer but not in a good way in my opinion. It feels mushy and I also feel like it spins too much, and coupled with high launch it did seem to get affected by the wind.

Is it possible I would fit better in the 21  TP5? Currently use the Chrome Soft X LS - feels great, but spins too much around the greens for me. I prefer a lower spin ball. Might just go back to the 19 TP5X until I run out…

TaylorMade Qi10 Designer Series (Black Out) 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black / Mizuno M.Craft OMOI #1
Bridgestone Tour RX

36 minutes ago, anth said:

Have they flipped the profiles of these again? I loved the original TP5 but found the 2019 version spun a lot off the driver and that cost me distance. Not 50 yards, but definitely one club less.

So I switched to the TP5X in 2019 which I was not a fan of from a feel perspective. But it performed - lower spin and higher flight.

Was really looking forward to the 21 update because I knew they would address the feel issue. 21 TP5X definitely feels softer but not in a good way in my opinion. It feels mushy and I also feel like it spins too much, and coupled with high launch it did seem to get affected by the wind.

Is it possible I would fit better in the 21  TP5? Currently use the Chrome Soft X LS - feels great, but spins too much around the greens for me. I prefer a lower spin ball. Might just go back to the 19 TP5X until I run out…

Don't think they are flipped per se, but certainly closer in performance. I lost a fair amount of distance with the 19 TP5 vs TP5x (5 to 15 yards off the driver, dependingon wind). You could just see the difference in spin, especially into the wind on tee shots. I tend to add loft a bit at impact and have always been a high flight/spin player.

For me, the 21 TP5x is pretty darn good. Feels softer, flies as far, slightly more spin on approach shots. I haven't hit the 21 TP5. 

When I compared the 2019 TP5x to the Bridgestone Tour B X, pretty similar balls, but the TP5x was just a few yards longer off the tee (2-5 yards on well struck shots), but other performance was similar. I could game either, but I like the pix pattern, and that is my main reason for playing the TP5x.

• Like 1

Titleist TSI3 8°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1", C3 surefit and H2 for backweight, D1 SW, 45 3/8", 40g counterbalance weight;

PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13.5° Xcaliber T6* tour stiff, tipped 1 1/4" 43 1/2", D1, 20g counterbalance weight;

Snake Eyes 19° Quick Strike Tour, Xcaliber T6+ Tour Stiff, 20g counterbalance weight;

Maltby TS-1 irons, Dynamic Gold Sensicore X100 (4i is DG X100 soft stepped 1.5 times), D3, 2° flat;

Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges, black satin, 50°, 54°, 58°, all 2° flat;

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong, 75g optivibe at 2" down the shaft and a 12g tourlock pro+ counterweight

Srixon Z Star XV, TP5X, or Maxfli Tour X

17 hours ago, Zpin said:

Thats amazing.....mine went 100 yards shorter......not sure why TM would make a ball that flies like this.....I wonder how Rory still hits this ball 325....

must be my swing.....idk.....moving to Callaway now. 

15 hours ago, sshadow2 said:

Long time tp5 player and a big fan. The 2019 was definitely inferior to the later models in terms of durability but was still great. And I still have a few dozen of them. 

I will usually only get one round in with one. 

They (2019- current) are certainly not short on any club and I hit them the same distance as the 2021 Pro V1s. 

But I got to admit, I’m more impressed with the Pro V1 over the TP5 this year. 

The TP5 has a lower compression this year.....almost 7 points....same with the X......

4 hours ago, anth said:

Ill be honest, it seems like you have all your profiles mixed up......

The TP5X is considered firm at a compression of 91.  (was 97 in 2019)

The TP5 now has a compression of 85 (was 91)

The Chromesoft LS is one of the lowest spinning, highest compression balls you can get, so how it has too much soin "around the greens" is kind of mind boggling.  and how the new TP5x is "mushy" is baffling as well.  If you think the tp5X is mushy, then the TP5 is definitely not for you

the testing of the CS LS shows the same spin "around the greens" (not sure what this means, it is a generic term which doesnt mean much.  does it mean 50 yards and in???) as many other extra firm offerings out there. 

the amount of spin you can generate "around the greens" is most likely minimal as far as actual spin is concerned and a lot of balls react the same "around the green".   i am veryu confused by this post