2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

2022 Presidents Cup - Captain DLIII

MattyO1984

10 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Shipnukc is clueless.  It’s the perfect pick.  Quail probably asked that it be him.  Fans etc around here deserve to have it be a local guy.  Phil can have the next NYC or Cali one.  And so on.  

I wish the USA would develop captains the way Europe does rather than give to guys that "deserve" it. We need to be developing captains rather than recycling. Love has had two chances to be Ryder Cup captain. We need to be building new leadership.

• Like 1

I know people are talking about how DLIII isn't an exciting choice, but does it really matter? I don't think anyone who was or wasn't going to watch already will suddenly change their mind because of who the captain is. 

I know personally I've never once thought to myself "man I can't wait to watch this year's Ryder/Presidents Cup so I can see how XXXX captains the team!!!"

1 hour ago, caniac6 said:

I wish the USA would develop captains the way Europe does rather than give to guys that "deserve" it. We need to be developing captains rather than recycling. Love has had two chances to be Ryder Cup captain. We need to be building new leadership.

I see that in a way.  But. The issue isnt captains.  It’s the players.  American players are just too single minded.  There’s no team there.   The euro tour is a team in itself.  Not really that individual.  It’s just different culture.  You could probably compete better with an american college allstar team vs our pros.  

• Like 4

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 hour ago, bladehunter said:

I see that in a way.  But. The issue isnt captains.  It’s the players.  American players are just too single minded.  There’s no team there.   The euro tour is a team in itself.  Not really that individual.  It’s just different culture.  You could probably compete better with an american college allstar team vs our pros.  

Um, no.  reminds me of the "#1 ranked college football team could beat the worst nfl team" argument.  It wouldn't even be close on the golf course.

22 minutes ago, oikos1 said:

Um, no.  reminds me of the "#1 ranked college football team could beat the worst nfl team" argument.  It wouldn't even be close on the golf course.

Lol.  Apparently you didn’t wantch Wolfe hovland and Colin play college golf.   Add in 4-5 more of those guys and id wager  they give the euros a better run than Bruce , DJ and Tiger have recently.  

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

13 minutes ago, 3whacker said:

won't Hovland play on the International team or even the Euro team

Well sure. But on my hypothetical “ college allstar “ team he’s fair game. Lol 

• Like 2

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

3 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Lol.  Apparently you didn’t wantch Wolfe hovland and Colin play college golf.   Add in 4-5 more of those guys and id wager  they give the euros a better run than Bruce , DJ and Tiger have recently.  

First of all, your line up of three for the U.S. side could be questionable to begin with.  What's more shocking is you think the unproven college kid has a better chance than a tour veteran.  Laughable.

4 hours ago, oikos1 said:

I was at the last College All Star game played at Soldier Field summer of '76.  Steelers had them completely overmatched but a serious thunderstorm, fans running on the field sliding on astroturf, etc. ended up with the game being called.  All I remember is I got soaked, my hand tooled favorite trifold wallet was toast, and the ink my girlfriend used on the back of her senior pic she had given me turned pink and runny, lol.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, golfandfishing said:

Garcia, Spieth, Fowler all earned RC or PC points at an age they should have been college I think. 

Yep.  My point is that college age kids seem to get team , and once they are out they lose the concept.  But on the euro tour they don’t seem to drop it.    

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

46 minutes ago, oikos1 said:

First of all, your line up of three for the U.S. side could be questionable to begin with.  What's more shocking is you think the unproven college kid has a better chance than a tour veteran.  Laughable.

Well we can surely keep doing the same thing and keep losing while expecting to win.   I think they reference that somewhere in a cliche statement? ? 

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

5 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Yes, at least they would be pumped up.

Nobody cares Presidents Cup. The players ain’t gettin paid and all wish they were somewhere else. Get some young kids and let them have a go.

Maybe their enthusiasm would get some fan interest. Now, PC fans be like

AE5CA857-4B46-494C-A7C5-CB0BCAAF4726.jpeg

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Abh159 said:

I know people are talking about how DLIII isn't an exciting choice, but does it really matter? I don't think anyone who was or wasn't going to watch already will suddenly change their mind because of who the captain is. 

I know personally I've never once thought to myself "man I can't wait to watch this year's Ryder/Presidents Cup so I can see how XXXX captains the team!!!"

Exactly...outside of Tiger/Phil, who is an "exciting" choice? Maybe Fred couples? Hal Sutton gets your juices flowing? Steve Stricker being a savage?  

As said above, maybe let Goydos or someone else give it a shot. Idk, make Boo Weekly assistant/head media guy and let him do all the interviews.

Edited by Ironman_32

19 hours ago, caniac6 said:

Davis Love always kind of strikes me as a better version of Rickie Fowler of his generation. DL has an impressive resume, a major/2 players/20 wins. Not that his resume is light, but I feel like the PGA Tour C suite loves him, and that goes a long way. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Yep.  My point is that college age kids seem to get team , and once they are out they lose the concept.  But on the euro tour they don’t seem to drop it.    

Sure seems that way.  Could be more passion for team or country, or could be a "chip" on their shoulder.  After all, the PGA Tour is the one that gets top billing.

19 minutes ago, Ironman_32 said:

Davis Love always kind of strikes me as a better version of Rickie Fowler of his generation. DL has an impressive resume, a major/2 players/20 wins. Not that his resume is light, but I feel like the PGA Tour C suite loves him, and that goes a long way. 

I don't think there is any denying that DL3 is a really good guy. My only problem with this pick is that he has already been Ryder Cup captain twice, and new leadership needs to be developed. I kind of feel that the PC is the RC lite, and it's a good place to train future RC captains without the pressure of the RC. 

16 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

I don't think there is any denying that DL3 is a really good guy. My only problem with this pick is that he has already been Ryder Cup captain twice, and new leadership needs to be developed. I kind of feel that the PC is the RC lite, and it's a good place to train future RC captains without the pressure of the RC. 

I get your point; I think DLIII is a good player/person(i guess; from the little I see). 

Caveat is, we don't know who they are asking, who is saying  yes/no. I also agree with you that we have to develop captains a little bit. I am also saying that whoever is picking is probably shading more toward picking their "guys" than they are shading toward what's fair. Meaning, they probably have guys they want to captain multiple teams (Couples, Love, Tiger, Phil), guys who prob would captain multiple teams but only get one shot (Furyk, Azinger, Kite, Leonard),guys who should maybe be given a shot at least at a PC but never will (Beem, Janzen, maybe Cink), and guys they definitely won't let captain or don't want to captain (Daly, O'Meara, Ben Curtis).

If things stay somewhat the way they are, for example, Fowler will prob get at least 3 teams to captain and Keegan Bradley will maybe get one; barring no one going off and winning another 4 majors.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

leadership development isn't going to happen from being the captain of a presidents cup.  It's the luck of the draw when it comes to players qualifying for a spot on a Ryder Cup roster. Outside of captains picks there's no telling how personalities will mesh etc. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 8.0 HZRDUS 6.5
Ping G425 LST 14.5 Ping Tour 75X
Cobra King Tec 19.0 Tour AD DI-105 X
Miura AS-1 4-P Dynamic Golf Tour Issue X100
Mizuno T20 50,55,60 Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue
Scotty Cameron X5

5 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Got the day off to watch my taped Euro Coverage and enjoy this "HackMotion" webinar just for the heck of it.  Your new avatar has me in a mood for some jalapeño cheese bread toast covered with sausage and Mexican influenced scrambled eggs! Thanks!

Wait, they sell “jalapeño cheese bread”?

Or do you make it with regular bread and jalapeño cheese?

Like, there’s this killer stuff they sell in Italian stores called “lard bread”

Its bread with prosciutto baked in!

7A375DF3-2ABA-4BA8-BEF6-39BF4841AAE4.jpeg

1 hour ago, bscinstnct said:

Wait, they sell “jalapeño cheese bread”?

Or do you make it with regular bread and jalapeño cheese?

Like, there’s this killer stuff they sell in Italian stores called “lard bread”

Its bread with prosciutto baked in!

7A375DF3-2ABA-4BA8-BEF6-39BF4841AAE4.jpeg

That looks incredible! I’ve got dough rising right now for some Christmas Buns (hoping the wife rewards me, she loves cinnamon rolls), but our local grocery store sells an artisan bread with the chunks of jalapeño and pepper jack cheese baked in there. Works best in an egg casserole with sausage, but the leftover bread gets toasted.