You have to buy a iron shaft without getting fitted......

ok, you are buying a set of iron, do not have an option to get properly fitted and you are buying 5I - PW......swing speed with a 6I is 85mph........what shaft are you buying?   Lets keep this simple and to the point...

Update- I am buying a set of irons for a lifelong friend who would NEVER waste time to get fitted. he doesnt believe in it for his skill level, so this is going to be a suprise for him. Decent player, shoots in the mid 80's, has a fluid but fairly strong swing, id call it deliberate. he loves the T100 line. 

Edited by tsecor
  • Like 1
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

DG 120 S300

That information makes a huge difference in the recommendation.  The R7 used unitized shafts, which means all shafts are cut from one blank.  I suspect the blank weighs about 100 grams and after cutti

It just isn't that easy IMO. You're going to receive answers all across the board, everyone has a different swing.

DG R300 it's in enough stuff user is probably use to the profile or have swung it before. 

• Like 1

Lefty WITB

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - Tour 65S

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping G410 - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - Kingdom Putter - SIK Pro Tour Proto - and more. 

It’s hard to argue against any of the Dynamic Gold stuff. AMT white come stock in the T100. The profile and feel would likely be something familiar and comfortable. 

• Like 2

WITB Thread

TSi3 9* / Ventus Black 7x

TSi2 16.5* / Ventus Black 8x

TSi2 21* / Ventus Red 9x

T100•s 4-9 / DG X7

SM8 46 / DG X7

SM8 50, 54, 58 / DG TI X1

Squareback 2 - One and Done - ER5

10 minutes ago, forrester_fire said:

First thing that came to my mind.  Not too heavy, not too light, not too stiff, not whippy.  A nice, safe choice.

I also agree with the DG120 , nice kinda do everything shaft

• Like 1

Cobra Radspeed XB tour length 9 w/ PX Hzrdus RDX Smoke Black 80
Cobra F9 Tour 13.5 w/PX Hzrdus Smoke Black 70
Callaway Apex 20 w/PX Catalyst 70
Cobra King Forged TEC 4-GW w/Nippon Modus 130

Cobra King MIM Black 56 and 60 wedges w/ Modus 130

SGC #002 flow neck 385g

I have access to  try clubs with different shafts, if needed, but I use shafts from previous model clubs as my baseline. I CAN NOT SEE GETTING FIT FOR EVERY PURCHASE. Once fitted, I am good to go unless I see real  drastic changes in  club speed,  or playability on the course. Then I may visit a monitor to see where the numbers are, before making any decisions 

• Confused 1

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC
59 minutes ago, tsecor said:

Lets keep this simple and to the point...

It just isn't that easy IMO. You're going to receive answers all across the board, everyone has a different swing.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

M4 w/Accra FX-270, M2, TM UDI, S55 w/$-Taper, Glide 3.0 50/54/60 w/$-Taper, Bellum Winmore/Bettinardi, Snell

11 minutes ago, dhacker56 said:

This is almost exactly my swing speed... if he has a smooth tempo and transition I would recommend  Modus 105 R hard stepped once.  They are a perfect fit fro me.. If he has a faster tempo them the 105S soft stepped once...

This is what I would do exactly, unless he likes graphite, which I assume you would have mentioned

• Like 1
1 minute ago, jomatty said:

This is what I would do exactly, unless he likes graphite, which I assume you would have mentioned

Honestly I had to go to   graphite.  But I took that he was asking about steel.. If he want my recommendation on graphite i would suggest Recoil  110's F3 with the same stepping advice. 

• Like 1

If you are leaning on the T100s because he likes them, then you are very limited in stock shaft offerings and will be digging deeper just to get options vs. a Mizzy JPX 921 Forged with some Modus 120 S or 6.0 LZ as no charge up grades.

I think people are missing that he swings at 85 with a 6i, not driver, which isn't exactly slow for an iron speed.

Edited by PEI_Golfer
  • Like 2

Titleist TSi3 10* w/ Hzrdus Black RDX 60 6.5

Titleist TS2 16.5* w/ Fuji Pro 2.0 7X

Titleist TS3 19* w/ Tensei Raw AV Blue X

Nike VR Pro Combo 4-PW w/ PX 6.0

Nike VR Forged 51/55/59 w/ TI S400

Odyssey Strokelab 2-Ball 33"

Just now, dhacker56 said:

Honestly I had to go to   graphite.  But I took that he was asking about steel.. If he want my recommendation on graphite i would suggest Recoil  110's F3 with the same stepping advice. 

I did the same.  Graphite allows me to play twice as much.  I’m also in recoils. 

4 minutes ago, PEI_Golfer said:

If you are leaning on the T100s because he likes them, then you are very limited in stock shaft offerings and will be digging deeper just to get options vs. a Mizzy JPX 921 Forged with some Modus 120 S or 6.0 LZ as no charge up grades.

I think people are missing that he swings at 85 with a 6i, not driver, which isn't exactly slow for an iron speed.

My Swing speed with a 7 iron was measured at 83.  And I was fitted for Regular shafts... Hard stepped once..  If he is 85 with a 6 iron then that is generally the same speed.  In any case the real determinant on flex at that speed is the tempo and transition..  He is right in the middle of regular ans stiff.  the weight can also be used to help with flex.  If he goes light then he could go to a stiff but at 120 to 130 he should stick with the regular and use stepping as the fine tuning mechanism.  IMO

Yeah right.....ah what is your friend playing currently?

Does he not like the result he is getting?  Why?  

Once we know what he is playing and any issues then we can provide a more 

intelligent response.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

CALLAWAY Customs (Black w/Silver) "The FREAK" Mavrik Sub Zero Driver, 9*, Accra TZ6/M5 72g X
CALLAWAY Mavrik Sub Zero 3 Wood, 15*, Accra TZ6/M5 80g X
CALLAWAY Super Hybrid, 18*, NS Pro Modus Hybrid GOST 102g X
TAYLORMADE SIM2 RESCUE, 22*, Diamana Thump 105g X
TAYLORMADE P790 - 4, 5, 6, PX IO 6.5
CALLAWAY APEX 21 TOUR CB, 4 - GW, PX IO/LS 6.5

CALLAWAY APEX 21 MB, 7 - GW, PX LS 6.5

CALLAWAY JAWS Forged Wedges, Chrome, 55/11C; 60/10C; PX LS 6.5

VOKEY SM8 "BIRDIE BOB" CUSTOM BRUSHED STEEL, 52/9F, DG TI x100; 58/8M, DG TI s400 ONYX 
TOULON GARAGE Austin Custom Rose Gold

Weight matters most. I would check the weight of what he is playing or has played and liked and get a shaft in that weight range, most likely in regular flex based on 85 mph if he has a fluid swing. If he is interested in going a little lighter, I’d keep it within 10 grams of what he has to be safe.

10 minutes ago, dhacker56 said:

My Swing speed with a 7 iron was measured at 83.  And I was fitted for Regular shafts... Hard stepped once..  If he is 85 with a 6 iron then that is generally the same speed.  In any case the real determinant on flex at that speed is the tempo and transition..  He is right in the middle of regular ans stiff.  the weight can also be used to help with flex.  If he goes light then he could go to a stiff but at 120 to 130 he should stick with the regular and use stepping as the fine tuning mechanism.  IMO

I find it a bit hard to believe that 1/2" in shaft length will equate to 3mph chs with an iron, but so be it.  I'm in the 89-91 range now and can still play X100s or 6.5s if I choose, instead playing S400's and soft stepping 6.5s.  So I'll agree to disagree on that front.  

Of course it is harder to make an informed suggestion without knowing more about the golfer without tempo, transition and weight preference.

12 minutes ago, PEI_Golfer said:

I find it a bit hard to believe that 1/2" in shaft length will equate to 3mph chs with an iron, but so be it.  I'm in the 89-91 range now and can still play X100s or 6.5s if I choose, instead playing S400's and soft stepping 6.5s.  So I'll agree to disagree on that front.  

Of course it is harder to make an informed suggestion without knowing more about the golfer without tempo, transition and weight preference.

The club is also lighter!

13 minutes ago, dhacker56 said:

The club is also lighter!

But you (we in this case) don't know what he has in his clubs already.  You said that you are at 83mph with a 7i which is generally the same speed with a 6i, I disagree with this on the premise of gaining 3 mph from 1/2" of steel (going with safe assumption) shaft.

Edited by PEI_Golfer

14 minutes ago, dhacker56 said:

I was swing 105 Modus R hard stepped once... And the number 1.5-2 mph was on several sites that I was directed to when I googled... The material in tha shafts is irrelevant.  It is the weight of the club and the length. 

I had a 3mph difference in my head for some reason.

Edited by PEI_Golfer

I can't speak to that  85-83  in the US is 2 MPH.  And for that matter is 1 MPH the difference between Regular and stiff flex?  I know what my fitting showed and what my fitter said.  I am done here.  The OP was asking for opinions.  I gave mine.  You gave yours as have others..  The OP is the one who must decide NOT us.