2021 Golf Ball Test

rkelso184

So the 2021 golf ball test is done and dusted with numbers being crunched ATM. On Mi Gulf Spi (sorry can't say their name as it gets bleeped) YouTube they have made some pretty interesting comments to start

*Chrome Soft appears to have improved

*TaylorMade is a disappointment 

*Titleist Tour Speed is really really good

*Dont get fit with range balls

*Dont play refurb balls 

What other takeaways do you expect to see? What do you think will be the "best ball"? I personally just went back to the ProV1x and think once again they will be the ball to beat.

The initial buzz on Tour Speed is interesting.  Will be interested to see final results.  That said, I am wonderfully satisfied with Left Dash at the moment.  

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 MAX 7W 21*, Ventus TR Blue 8X 

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini CH /or/ Tri Hot 5K Seven CH

16 hours ago, rkelso184 said:

What other takeaways do you expect to see? What do you think will be the "best ball"? I personally just went back to the ProV1x and think once again they will be the ball to beat.

I expect that Bridgestone Tour BS/BXS are the best balls on the market. I don't care what their test says. 

• Like 2

Very intrigued to see what is said about the K-Sig 3.2.  I just started playing this ball and have had great success/response to it.  I am extremely happy with it so far

• Like 3

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

2015 Adams Tight Lies 22° 7 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Irons:  2016 Nike Vapor Fly 4-AW   

Wedges:  2017 Cleveland CBX 56°& 60°wedge              
Shafts:  Matrix Ozik Program F15 85S Graphite Shafts 4i - 60°

Grips:   Superstroke S-Tech + 2 Wraps
Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

I’m interested in the direct to consumer market and specifically how the Snell ball compares to Titleist. 

• Like 4

Driver TSR3 9* & 11* Ventus TR Blue 6x (10K - Testing)

Fairway TSr3 4W Ventus TR Red 7x

Fairway  TS 7W Ventus TR Blue 8x

Irons Ping i210’s with DG 120 x-100’s +1/2”

Wedges Glide Forged Pros 50*,54*,58* DG 120 s300 +1/2”

Putter Armlock💪🏼

Ball Vice Pro Plus

I take their "scientific tests" with a grain of salt.  I've never been a fan, but I was over their content completely when they "tested" golf ball retrievers and tried to make it sound professional.

All of the ball tests are redundant and ignore two critical pieces:  trajectory and overall playability.  A golf ball is much more than its driver ball speed and wedge spin rate.

• Like 4

I am always interested in order of:

• consistency
  • spin
  • trajectory
  • distance

By this order, I chose B'stone B RX from the last test (100mph swing speed).  I play it along with Snell MTB Black depends on the course/hole condition.  the data helped me to find the right ball for me.  I do look forward to the new data.  

1 hour ago, Cliffy2020 said:

I’m interested in the direct to consumer market and specifically how the Snell ball compares to Titleist. 

In the test a few years ago, the Snell MTB-X was pretty much the top ball. I concur. Amazing ball.

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

3 hours ago, flushem said:

I am always interested in order of:

• consistency
  • spin
  • trajectory
  • distance

By this order, I chose B'stone B RX from the last test (100mph swing speed).  I play it along with Snell MTB Black depends on the course/hole condition.  the data helped me to find the right ball for me.  I do look forward to the new data.  

Same here

I was playing the BridgeStone RX but moved to the Snell Black b/c of the price

I find the Snell Black has a slightly lower trajectory and a bit more spin than the RX

The consistency in both balls is top notch

I also play the Z-Star when they have their deals 

Driver -Cobra RadSpeed 9*

5 Wood - PING G425 16*

Hybrid  PING G410 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Wedges - Cleveland Zipcore CBX 54* ; Cleveland CBX Zipcore Full Face 58*

Putter - PXG Battle Ready Closer-34"

Ball- Wilson Triad 

Just now, scott406 said:

Same here

I was playing the BridgeStone RX but moved to the Snell Black b/c of the price

I find the Snell Black has a slightly lower trajectory and a bit more spin than the RX

The consistency in both balls is top notch

I also play the Z-Star when they have their deals 

How does Z-Star compare to RX or MTB Black?

If anything the test showed what balls NOT to try, some are just very inconsistent.  

The Tour Speed I am sure is a consistent ball, but I didn't like it, mostly because I like a really high spin ball on the short game and this was just too much of a tweener.

I am sure Callaway QC is getting better, they got called out on the last test, it's a fine ball if you get a good one though.  

Can't wait to read it.  

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

The complaints about the robot test from 2019 were well founded and accurate.  Sounds like from the posts above they at least heard the complaints and have made changes. I guess that is good, but it doesn't change the fact that human golfers (the vast majority) don't have robot perfect swing planes or strikes.  So the data has little value (besides being interesting).

Secondly, when the 2nd major robot test came out by PXG via TG, there were significant data differences, especially in the the category I care about most (85 mph swing speeds). Besides that, their data showed no significant distance differences in 2pc, 3 pc, 4 pc, and 5pc golf balls (completely opposite MYYSpyGolf). "Soft is slow" and by implication, short...not always true!

Remember, the main difference in the two 2019 Robot tests were the clubs used which produce differing results. So what type club, shaft, loft angle, etc....all effect ball performance in the robots "hands".

Anyway, I'll look at the data but it will have no actionable information for the masses (IMHO).  The only testing that matters is your own...and that data is not really transferrable to anyone else.

Regards

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, gioreeko said:

then you're testing the golfer, and not the balls. Not scientific at all.

Can you explain why the MySpYGolf test data had the ProV1x the top distance ball for 85 mph swing speed golfers and the TP5x below average....but the PXG robot for the same swing speed had the TP5x at the top and the ProV1x below average?

Is that a golfer thing?

Regards

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rwbloom93 said:

The complaints about the robot test from 2019 were well founded and accurate.  Sounds like from the posts above they at least heard the complaints and have made changes. I guess that is good, but it doesn't change the fact that human golfers (the vast majority) don't have robot perfect swing planes or strikes.  So the data has little value (besides being interesting).

Secondly, when the 2nd major robot test came out by PXG via TG, there were significant data differences, especially in the the category I care about most (85 mph swing speeds). Besides that, their data showed no significant distance differences in 2pc, 3 pc, 4 pc, and 5pc golf balls (completely opposite MYYSpyGolf). "Soft is slow" and by implication, short...not always true!

Remember, the main difference in the two 2019 Robot tests were the clubs used which produce differing results. So what type club, shaft, loft angle, etc....all effect ball performance in the robots "hands".

Anyway, I'll look at the data but it will have no actionable information for the masses (IMHO).  The only testing that matters is your own...and that data is not really transferrable to anyone else.

Regards

There is plenty of actionable information in the tests.  The purpose of the test is not to ferret out the best ball for "everybody", the purpose of the test is to establish some type of basic statistical golf ball performance "base rates".  This allow for general "base rate" conclusions as starting point for golfers to head off into their own experimentation armed with some information rather than using the shot gun approach. 

With that said, even in terms the advice of "what works best for you" is probably total BS  because "what works best for you" is by and large mostly the result of our own bias conclusions. 

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, arbeck said:

You can optimize the delivery of an 85MPH swing to make just about any ball the longest ball. If you are using a low spin driver, with a positive angle of attack and not delivering a lot of loft, the higher spin ball will go further than the lower spin ball (which is what the TP5x and V1x are). There simply is not enough time in the world to re-optimize the robot's delivery to maximize the distance for each individual ball.

That's my point.

We all swing so different, and use different clubs, such that the robot data is not likely to have any value.  I do read all robot data, even the smaller versions  (VICE and others) because I find it interesting.  I also look at a lot of human data because it is interesting too.

All of it confirms my year long testing in 2018. That is....The best performing balls, for the swing I have, and the clubs I use, are unique to me and not readily transferrable to anyone else.  Put another way....what is longer for you will not necessarily be longer for me, what spins more for me may not spin more for you.  That is the main takeaway from robot testing, the more the merrier!

Regards 

Edited by rwbloom93

3 minutes ago, The Pearl said:

There is plenty of actionable information in the tests.  The purpose of the test is not to ferret out the best ball for "everybody", the purpose of the test is to establish some type of basic statistical golf ball performance "base rates".  This allow for general "base rate" conclusions as starting point for golfers to head off into their own experimentation armed with some information rather than using the shot gun approach. 

With that said, even in terms the advice of "what works best for you" is probably total BS  because "what works best for you" is by and large mostly the result of our own bias conclusions. 

Serious question...

What actionable data did get from the MYYSPY test, and was it confirmed by the PXG test and your own personal play?

16 minutes ago, rwbloom93 said:

That's my point.

We all swing so different, and use different clubs, such that the robot data is not likely to have any value.  I do read all robot data, even the smaller versions  (VICE and others) because I find it interesting.  I also look at a lot of human data because it is interesting too.

All of it confirms my year long testing in 2018. That is....The best performing balls, for the swing I have, and the clubs I use, are unique to me and not readily transferrable to anyone else.  Put another way....what is longer for you will not necessarily be longer for me, what spins more for me may not spin more for you.  That is the main takeaway from robot testing, the more the merrier!

Regards 

The robot data is all that matters really. You just need to translate how the ball reacts to the robot to how you swing. You simply can't replicate all the swings, with all the equipment setups that are out there. But you don't need to. If two balls have 200RPM of spin difference and 1MPH of ball speed different and 10ft of peak high difference for one swing at 85MPH it will have the same difference for any other swing and equipment at 85MPH. One ball might go further than the other for each person, but the differences in spin ball, speed, and trajectory between the balls will be constant.

Using the numbers they published you can go hit any ball in the test on a launch monitor, record what you see, and use the data to find a ball that would go the furthest for you.

What you need to keep in mind is that the ball characteristics don't change based on the swing or equipment hitting it. 

• Thanks 1

I do believe within a certain margin of error, if the MGS test shows that one ball spins a few hundred rpm more than another off a 7-iron at a certain swing speed then that ball has higher iron spin. Likewise if the ball speed is 3mph lower off driver for one ball than another, I believe it reflects an actual difference in the balls under those conditions.

Of course it's only measured under two very specific conditions. But they tell you exactly what those conditions are and they keep them as consistent as mechanically possible when comparing ball to ball to ball to ball.  So the relative balls speeds, launch, spin and trajectory of any two balls are what they are at those conditions.

No, they can't tell every ball at 200,000 different launch conditions to perfectly match the 200,000 different golfers who read it. And yes, you won't know until you try a ball whether it works or not for you. So what? If you want to find a ball that's got really low spin off the irons at a certain clubhead speed the MGS table will let you find a dozen or so that you ought to try first. 

What I don't understand is why someone who professes to believe that no ball test, period, is ever going to have any validity whatsoever because it wasn't himself swing the club...then why are you opining about one particular test? There is literally nothing they or anyone else could ever do to make to accept any part of their results. So why would you waste your time reading it and even moreso why waste your time trying to critique it? 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, North Butte said:

I do believe within a certain margin of error, if the MGS test shows that one ball spins a few hundred rpm more than another off a 7-iron at a certain swing speed then that ball has higher iron spin. Likewise if the ball speed is 3mph lower off driver for one ball than another, I believe it reflects an actual difference in the balls under those conditions.

Of course it's only measured under two very specific conditions. But they tell you exactly what those conditions are and they keep them as consistent as mechanically possible when comparing ball to ball to ball to ball.  So the relative balls speeds, launch, spin and trajectory of any two balls are what they are at those conditions.

No, they can't tell every ball at 200,000 different launch conditions to perfectly match the 200,000 different golfers who read it. And yes, you won't know until you try a ball whether it works or not for you. So what? If you want to find a ball that's got really low spin off the irons at a certain clubhead speed the MGS table will let you find a dozen or so that you ought to try first. 

What I don't understand is why someone who professes to believe that no ball test, period, is ever going to have any validity whatsoever because it wasn't himself swing the club...then why are you opining about one particular test? There is literally nothing they or anyone else could ever do to make to accept any part of their results. So why would you waste your time reading it and even moreso why waste your time trying to critique it? 

rwbloom93 asked this question and yet no one answered..."Can you explain why the MySpYGolf test data had the ProV1x the top distance ball for 85 mph swing speed golfers and the TP5x below average....but the PXG robot for the same swing speed had the TP5x at the top and the ProV1x below average?

Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2