Tonal, best piece of golf fitness equipment?

PublicEnemy

9 hours ago, PublicEnemy said:

Curious why you think it’s a gimmick? I’m guessing you must have tried one to make that statement?

My two other friends I’m referencing above that convinced me to pull the trigger are both ex pro athletes as well. One ex NY Yankee and the other a former US Ski team GS and and Super G medalist.  Myself included as a ex pro athlete.  All of us incredibly fit with long history’s and careers living in a weight room with free weights and personal trainers at our fingertips.  We all love it. 

Okay I probably overreacted a bit LOL.  But let’s be honest, it only adds some convenience for those who can afford it.  It’s not very functional, and cannot replace a gym.  I also don’t understand the price point and the subscription to own a bench and a mirror in your home. I mean, do you need a $4,000 virtual coach to tell you to do push-ups and curls and cardio?  Seems very unnecessary.  It would be similar to paying a golf instructor $100/hour for 8 hour each day to say “keep your head down. It’s all in the hips”

Edited by alf05d
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, alf05d said:

Okay I probably overreacted a bit LOL.  But let’s be honest, it only adds some convenience for those who can afford it.  It’s not very functional, and cannot replace a gym.  I also don’t understand the price point and the subscription to own a bench and a mirror in your home. I mean, do you need a $4,000 virtual coach to tell you to do push-ups and curls and cardio?  Seems very unnecessary.  It would be similar to paying a golf instructor $100/hour for 8 hour each day to say “keep your head down. It’s all in the hips”

Well, all due respect. You clearly don't see the value proposition and don't need something like that. (Truthfully, neither do I - I just have my own gym). But I've come to understand that these subscription services are half machines, and half psychology. And they are very good at psychology. There are a lot of people for whom working out with someone online that is perpetually challenging them, and praising them, means the difference between working out several times a week and looking forward to it, and not working out at all. 

Think of it this way - a lot of people go to weekly therapy sessions with psychologists (and this has exploded during the pandemic) - and that is much more expensive than a monthly Peloton subscription. 

In fact, I own a corporation, and have been talking to the companies that I get my people's health insurance from (I lavish my folks - getting them really good insurance actually saves me a lot of money in the long run - plus its just the right thing to do). More than one big insurer right now is considering adding subscriptions like this to their "Wellness" programs. A couple of smaller ones already have.

They have figured out the same thing I have - paying to keep people healthy and happy is cheaper than paying for them when they get sick due to unhealthy, sedentary lifestyles. They much rather (for instance) completely cover stop-smoking sessions than to have to cover lung cancer treatments. This is the same reasoning. Obesity (and its concomitant effects like heart disease and diabetes) is one of the top killers in the US. If the encouragement that these services give people helps them be more fit, they are happier, and more productive. We are all better off. Heck yes its worth the money.

Just asking you to consider. What might well be unnecessary to you may be may be, like, seriously good for someone else.

Edited by bobfoster
  • Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

1 hour ago, alf05d said:

I'm not sure you have tried a Tonal. Let's break down your statements.

It’s not very functional - Tonal  is probably the most dynamic and functional piece of strength training equipment to enter the consumer space in history.  Movements Archive - Tonal.

Cannot replace a gym. - it really can, unless you are an elite level power lifter.  Posting link to movement's Tonal is capable of again. Movements Archive - Tonal

I also don’t understand the price point and the subscription to own a bench and a mirror in your home - Tonal is much different than Lululemon's Mirror. 

Do you need a $4,000 virtual coach to tell you to do push-ups and curls and cardio - The $4,000 unit is a really an entire gym capable of these movements, Movements Archive - Tonal.  Sounds like you are describing a Mirror.

• Like 2

It’s a good piece of equipment. Essentially just the dual pulley machine you’ll find at any gym (pictured  below), in a cool compact design. These are a minimum of ~$2k. I personally would much rather have the traditional dual pulley machine than the Tonal. Most dual pulley machines like the one below are 200lbs per side. Tonal only makes sense to me if you have limited space or just like “gadgets”.  For me the problem would be the 200lb max weight with the 2 cables combined, and 100 max for each single cable. I can think of at least 4 different exercises that I use more than 200lbs on that I do regularly. And more things that I do with a single cable that exceed 100lbs. But I’m sure satisfactory for a majority of people. 

1C1F1096-759A-4B13-8AB1-1DB77191CF34.jpeg

Edited by TiScape
  • Like 1

How does this 'system' (machine and subscription) 'work?' Like, what goes on between you and the machine and home office or whatever is being piped in on the subscription? Is the subscription feed live or is it sending you recorded videos? How do you interact? Does it prompt you via texts or emails, "hey, it's time for your workout." Please describe the daily routine with this.

Also, can you use it without the subscription? Do you know of anyone who does? Must you pay the subscription forever to gain benefit? Do you think one can gain benefit without the subscription from the getgo or down the way, if they tire of the subscription?

Do they sell a bench or whatever is needed other than the machine?

Is there a training regimen for golf, specifically?

Edited by playit
  • Like 2

Price seems high ... especially the $50 a month ... but, if it's in your price range, it's your money.

What's Tonal like for the negative aspect of the lift?

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

5 hours ago, playit said:

How does this 'system' (machine and subscription) 'work?' Like, what goes on between you and the machine and home office or whatever is being piped in on the subscription? Is the subscription feed live or is it sending you recorded videos? How do you interact? Does it prompt you via texts or emails, "hey, it's time for your workout." Please describe the daily routine with this.

Also, can you use it without the subscription? Do you know of anyone who does? Must you pay the subscription forever to gain benefit? Do you think one can gain benefit without the subscription from the getgo or down the way, if they tire of the subscription?

I have to imagine there is no way to use it without the subscription being active.  I have read of several indoor bikes that couldn't be used once the subscription lapsed.  

Whether they should operate like this is a different discussion, but why would they set it up so the equipment works without paying?    Lots of things have been made a lot better through digital evolution, but it is not without drawbacks.  

On 9/24/2021 at 10:35 PM, ScottyB108 said:

The Peloton has been life changing for me. I was about 225lbs at the start of the pandemic, got a Peloton in May 2020 and have dropped down to a cool 175lbs since. Has given me new life, new energy, and a litany of new swing problems as I haven't been this slender and flexible since high school days. Honestly though, the cost of the machine does sound steep but you pay $40/$50 a month for a membership that has more than just cycling and can use unlimited users. It's really worth the investment if you're on the fence of getting one.

Nice!

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

20 hours ago, TiScape said:

It’s a good piece of equipment. Essentially just the dual pulley machine you’ll find at any gym (pictured  below), in a cool compact design. These are a minimum of ~$2k. I personally would much rather have the traditional dual pulley machine than the Tonal. Most dual pulley machines like the one below are 200lbs per side. Tonal only makes sense to me if you have limited space or just like “gadgets”.  For me the problem would be the 200lb max weight with the 2 cables combined, and 100 max for each single cable. I can think of at least 4 different exercises that I use more than 200lbs on that I do regularly. And more things that I do with a single cable that exceed 100lbs. But I’m sure satisfactory for a majority of people. 

It's quite a bit more than a dual pulley machine.  In fact it's really nothing like a dual pully machine.  A dual pully machine is very limited with the number of movements you can perform (compared to a Tonal).  Let me explain, as it's hard to really "get it" unless you've used one. I also want to point out that Tonal's 200lbs of digital weight feels far greater than 200lbs. This is discussed pretty frequently online.  

Can you traditional bench press with a dual pully machine?  Squat? Well, maybe for a squat you could clean the weight up, overhead press the bar and rack it on your shoulders?  Maybe for a bench press you get set with the bar on your chest, then have a buddy slide the pins into the weight stack when your ready to go? 🙂.  I'm being fasciculus, but my point is, an old school dual pully machine is very limited.  Great for certain movements, but it's just a pully machine at the end of the day.

The Tonal functions more like a set of free weights (dumbbells, barbell), and pully system combined.  You can activate and deactivate the weight with a push of a button (smart buttons on handle ends and barbell clip).  This means for a squat you can rack the bar on your shoulders with 0lbs, push a button, and  have 200lbs of digital weight in a second.  This is pretty awesome for movements like squats, bench press, overhead press, etc where you need to get into position since the Tonal isn't a "rack".  

FWIW, I'm a guy with a 450lb deadlift.  Sure, I can't deadlift 450lbs on the Tonal.  Albeit the number of movements this thing can do, and total package (data, programs, live classes (coming soon), yoga, Pilates, wife's usage, form factor) makes it worth it to me.  Not to mention the overall quality of the workouts are absolutely amazing.  I'm one strong dude myself and can also max out a dual pully machine any day.  Tonal makes a b**ch out me, and that's what matters 🙂 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, playit said:

Some good questions.  For your first question, I'd say it's similar to a Peloton.  Turn it on and you have access to the massive library of programs, workouts, and free lifts.  I'm not sure how their notifications work as I have push notifications on my phone turned off.  Your paying a "Netflix" like subscription for the content that Tonal creates.  

Can't use it without a subscription.  I do think this is strange since, there's a massive library of "free lift" movements you can perform.  You can also create "custom workouts" via the Tonal and mobile app.  Both these features IMHO could be free for someone that doesn't care for the programming.  The programing I think is what makes this thing so great, though.  

They bundle their Tonal flat bench, smart handles, smart bar, rope, foam roller, and yoga mat, into the final purchase price.

No golf specific training regimen.  I could see them adding sport specific programs in the future.  

You guys are gonna laugh but I use a Total Gym Fit. Yeah that stupid Chuck Norris thing. I also have a set of free weights and a bench and ride a bike. For a old guy like me (68) it’s all I really need and with the total gym I can get a quick workout in about 45 min. Your not power lifting tough lol. Yoga is great as well as you age. The key is to just do some type of strength training  no matter what you use even if its just resistance bands. Would love one of those Tonals though I must admit.

i was an early investor in tonal, so i definitely believe in the product even though i don’t, and won’t, use one. 

it has its uses and its market, but it won’t replace barbells, dumbbells, bikes, and rowers for people who like to lift and do intense cardio. 

it’s great that you love it, but you’re starting to sound more like an overzealous infomercial than a happy customer. 

• Like 2

Ping G425 LST 9º | TPT 15LO

TM SIM2 4W 16.5º | Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 8TX

TM SIM2 7W 21º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland RTX Raw 52/mid 56/mid 60/full | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Ping Custom PLD Anser 2

On 9/24/2021 at 11:30 AM, PublicEnemy said:

Like others said, it’s $4,000 after accessories, install, deliver and tax’s.  I did the 0% /48 months financing option. $86/month unit + $50/month subscription.

I mean thats essentially a gym membership... so its not that bad at all when you look at it that way.  

I guess depending on what type of gym you go to but you get my point.

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

Just a personal thing, maybe I am in the minority, but a machine that costs over $4,000, and won't work without paying a $50/mo sub fee, that just hits me wrong. I find it hard to believe that the $4,000 does not include some hefty profit. It seems very greedy. I can't conceive of that being their cost, that the sub is their sole profit source. If a company can pull it off, subscriptions are the way to go because they know that a boatload of people are going to pay for some/many months that they don't even use the thing. Which means as intriguing as it is to me, and I need something like this, I'm likely out.

OTOH, if one could buy one for that $4k and use it out the box, I would fine it worthy of consideration.

1 hour ago, oscar10 said:

You guys are gonna laugh but I use a Total Gym Fit. Yeah that stupid Chuck Norris thing. I also have a set of free weights and a bench and ride a bike. For a old guy like me (68) it’s all I really need and with the total gym I can get a quick workout in about 45 min. Your not power lifting tough lol. Yoga is great as well as you age. The key is to just do some type of strength training  no matter what you use even if its just resistance bands. Would love one of those Tonals though I must admit.

Chuck's hearing is bad - he thought he was getting a "tonal".

Seriously, whatever anyone else wants to spend their money on is what they should spend it on.

If you use it, great.  If you don't, you learn an expensive lesson, which may get you to use it.

If someone wants a treadmill call me, haha.  You'll need a truck and two musclebound assistants to get it from my backyard walkout all the way around to the curb - we'll need some notice to get the laundry off of it and to move the now antique Bowflex!  The toys have gotten more sophisticated, but still toys.  And again, if it works, do it.

55 minutes ago, playit said:

Just a personal thing, maybe I am in the minority, but a machine that costs over $4,000, and won't work without paying a $50/mo sub fee, that just hits me wrong. I find it hard to believe that the $4,000 does not include some hefty profit. It seems very greedy. I can't conceive of that being their cost, that the sub is their sole profit source. If a company can pull it off, subscriptions are the way to go because they know that a boatload of people are going to pay for some/many months that they don't even use the thing. Which means as intriguing as it is to me, and I need something like this, I'm likely out.

OTOH, if one could buy one for that $4k and use it out the box, I would fine it worthy of consideration.

I definitely won’t be getting one just because of their subscription business model. I have no desire to support this. Some car manufacturers are starting and have been doing the same thing for a bit now and it burns my biscuits. So basically you are going to gather, sell or use my data but I can’t remote start my 55k car without a subscription using the same equipment you used to gather the data?!   😚 my 🍑!

I can’t imagine some will not figure out a way to “hack” this machine to make it free use albeit without their classes/workouts. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PublicEnemy said:

It's quite a bit more than a dual pulley machine.  In fact it's really nothing like a dual pully machine.  A dual pully machine is very limited with the number of movements you can perform (compared to a Tonal).  Let me explain, as it's hard to really "get it" unless you've used one. I also want to point out that Tonal's 200lbs of digital weight feels far greater than 200lbs. This is discussed pretty frequently online.  

Can you traditional bench press with a dual pully machine?  Squat? Well, maybe for a squat you could clean the weight up, overhead press the bar and rack it on your shoulders?  Maybe for a bench press you get set with the bar on your chest, then have a buddy slide the pins into the weight stack when your ready to go? 🙂.  I'm being fasciculus, but my point is, an old school dual pully machine is very limited.  Great for certain movements, but it's just a pully machine at the end of the day.

The Tonal functions more like a set of free weights (dumbbells, barbell), and pully system combined.  You can activate and deactivate the weight with a push of a button (smart buttons on handle ends and barbell clip).  This means for a squat you can rack the bar on your shoulders with 0lbs, push a button, and  have 200lbs of digital weight in a second.  This is pretty awesome for movements like squats, bench press, overhead press, etc where you need to get into position since the Tonal isn't a "rack".  

FWIW, I'm a guy with a 450lb deadlift.  Sure, I can't deadlift 450lbs on the Tonal.  Albeit the number of movements this thing can do, and total package (data, programs, live classes (coming soon), yoga, Pilates, wife's usage, form factor) makes it worth it to me.  Not to mention the overall quality of the workouts are absolutely amazing.  I'm one strong dude myself and can also max out a dual pully machine any day.  Tonal makes a b**ch out me, and that's what matters 🙂 

I agree a back squat and a few other movements on a dual pulley are far from ideal. But a 200lb max bench or squat is also far from ideal for me. Clearly there are trade-offs w/both.  There are also things a dual pulley will do that a tonal won’t. (Well it can if you only need 100lbs). Tricep press down with a rope, V bar or ez curl bar. Single cable row with a neutral grip. Anything single cable over 100lbs actually. Being able to deactivate (zero) the weight does sound really cool. And no doubt the thing will kick someone’s a**. For what it can do, and the very small footprint, the thing is indeed somewhat of a marvel. But at the end of the day you’re essentially doing mostly lower weight/higher rep sets if you are someone that can move some weight. (I realize that’s not really their target market) But I want/need more variety. I’d honestly still rather have a dual pulley and a rack with free weights for heavier compound movements. (I understand not everyone has the room for all that) If they come out with a model that takes each side up to 200 pounds, I’d def give it a serious look. 

Personally I've never got on with vertical cable only systems, I was on a Technogym kinesis one at the weekend, all the movements feel pretty awkward.

There's always a debate between the benefits of grooved machine movements and the stabilising requirements of using free weights, I find with the vertical cable arrangments they always require too much stabilisation. Any pushing movement with the cables and they are continuously trying to pull you out of the groove, that's obvious on the demo videos with so called bench presses.

Hey more power to ya!  Is there a bar attachment on Tonal for the compound exercises? They just gotta offer it without the subscription!!  Been working out since the 80s and dont need "a class" or a motivator lol

I use this machine everyday at the gym.... gotta be the type where the arms move in/out as well as up/down.  Wish I had one at home..... when I first saw the Tonal on tv I thought it was cool Plus its also a space saver design.  I wouldnt mind picking up a used Freemotion unit like below for a under $2k for the next pandemic, wish I bought one for 2020 lol

Freemotion EXT Dual Cable Cross – Sparks Fitness Equipment

Edited by Barfolomew

Can't figure how to like my own posts

On 9/25/2021 at 5:21 AM, PublicEnemy said:

Tonal  is probably the most dynamic and functional piece of strength training equipment to enter the consumer space in history.  Movements Archive - Tonal.

Im sure you arent a shill, but statements like this make you sound like one.. its a computerised cable machine at the end of the day, and an expensive one that requires an ongoing subscription. 

Nobody that is remotely serious about keeping fit would only use machines. If there wasnt very substantial benefits to free weights they would have died out of gyms many years ago.

would have been a lot more useful if it worked like a free motion Smith machine, which allows the bar to move horizontally while you work against it vertically. If it does do that, I apologise, as I see it it is a very expensive gimmick

Edited by milesgiles
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2021 at 3:27 PM, milesgiles said:

Im sure you arent a shill, but statements like this make you sound like one.. its a computerised cable machine at the end of the day, and an expensive one that requires an ongoing subscription. 

Nobody that is remotely serious about keeping fit would only use machines. If there wasnt very substantial benefits to free weights they would have died out of gyms many years ago.

would have been a lot more useful if it worked like a free motion Smith machine, which allows the bar to move horizontally while you work against it vertically. If it does do that, I apologise, as I see it it is a very expensive gimmick

You should try one man. I thought it was going to be dumb or not enough weight when my wife bought one and I was wrong. I love this thing, has the ability to replace an entire gym with its spotter, eccentric, and free weight modes. Is it exactly like free weights, no, but it can make life easier. Also, you don’t have to have a subscription after a year. 

On 9/27/2021 at 3:27 PM, milesgiles said:

The Jones machine is the s***.  My business partner and I have one set up his gym at his house/compound over in Santa Clarita.  We train some of our clients there and they all love/prefer it over the traditional Smith machine.  Very versatile and saves a lot of space. 

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

On 9/27/2021 at 11:10 AM, Barfolomew said:

Hey more power to ya!  Is there a bar attachment on Tonal for the compound exercises? They just gotta offer it without the subscription!!  Been working out since the 80s and dont need "a class" or a motivator lol

I use this machine everyday at the gym.... gotta be the type where the arms move in/out as well as up/down.  Wish I had one at home..... when I first saw the Tonal on tv I thought it was cool Plus its also a space saver design.  I wouldnt mind picking up a used Freemotion unit like below for a under $2k for the next pandemic, wish I bought one for 2020 lol

Freemotion EXT Dual Cable Cross – Sparks Fitness Equipment

I Like this Freemotion dual pulley a lot. I like most of Freemotion’s stuff period. In my opinion free weights are king. You are in full control of the movement and use a lot of stabilizer muscles to control them. With a basic weight stack or plate loaded machine the plane of the movement is locked in and no stabilizers are engaged. The cables are nice because they are in between the traditional machines and free weights. I feel using primarily free weights and incorporating some cables and machines into a program is the ideal scenario. 

Edited by TiScape
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, TiScape said:

I Like this Freemotion dual pulley a lot. I like most of Freemotion’s stuff period. In my opinion free weights are king. You are in full control of the movement and use a lot of stabilizer muscles to control them. With a basic weight stack or plate loaded machine the plane of the movement is locked in and no stabilizers are engaged. The cables are nice because they are in between the traditional machines and free weights. I feel using primarily free weights and incorporating some cables and machines into a program is the ideal scenario. 

Free weights are king....BUT you can not do horizontal or angular exercises with Free Weights like you can with cables... you know that thing called gravity lol

• Like 1

Can't figure how to like my own posts