2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Anyone playing a very high swingweight driver ? D-6+

MagicMan79

Had a bit of an ah-ha moment in the simulator yesterday while tinkering with driver swingweight.

So I play MOI matched irons that are all +1.00” - 1.5” in length. 1/4” increments from Gw all the way up to 4i. Short iron heads are lightened and long iron have added weight. Wedges are E-1 and scales down to D-7 in the longer irons. They are all long and heavy but the MoI matching and building at 1/4” increments has been one of the best things I’ve ever done , équipement wise. Never hit my irons this straight and hit as many greens. I hit 17/18 greens once this year and that was my best by far

My driver SS is 120-122 , and been doing some shaft tinkering since the weather has gotten cold. I like the feel of my driver at D-3, but have been struggling with a high toe miss that I just can’t shake on occassion.

I’ve added weight to drivers while in my garage and measuring swingweight. And anything at D-4 and heavier feels like a battle axe

So in the sim yesterday, same thing with driver - good ball, high toe, high toe, good ball..

This is a Sim2 8* with Diamana TB 60 tx, at just under 46” long. Driver in upright/square setting on adapter

I started moving and swapping weights, and was not influenced by my swingweight scale. Started pounding it after I added almost 7g to the head, which is quite a bit. Carrying 315-320 pretty consistently 

Get home and of course had to put it on the scale. It’s like D-6.2 , an absolute 🔨 

Never thought I’d hit it so well with such a head heavy setup, but it is what it is! Maybe it helps load the shaft that tiny bit more where my timing just matched up? Or the SW just matches my irons now so I can just swing it with the same tempo 

Was just curious if anyone else was swinging or had success with driver @ D-6+ ?

• Like 3

TSR4 8*, Accra RPG 362 M5 & Ventus Red 7x

Sim Rocket 14*, Accra TZ6 75 M5

790 2i UDI (2021), Accra TZ5 105 M5

Srixon ZX7 4 - PW, Modus 120 TX

Callaway JAWS 50, 54, 60,  x100 DG

1/1 Lajosi DD-201 WB, Stability Tour blackout 

My driver has been D6-D8 for years now, but I also play it short (44.25"). In my experience, additional weight can help calm down certain swing mechanics that might otherwise be a little overactive. It can slow tempo, make you complete your backswing, and keep you from pulling down too hard from the top, all things that are helpful for high speed players if any of those can be issues. My initial tendency when attempting to swing a driver at speed as long as what you're using is to whack it off the toe as well. Too much length gets me feelling cramped up ironically and I lose a ton of spine angle and really flip the club from the inside. That is mostly mechanical issues, but I know to not mess with drivers that long on the course (yet). 

D6 at that length is not really heavy at all to be honest. SIM2's are coming stock at D5 these days, so I wouldn't think at all about the number. Let the on course results by the judge while keeping on eye on weight related flight problems (blocks, timing issues, fatigue etc). 

• Like 4

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 4i-7i 23*- 34* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 38*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

TS3 10.5*, Diamana 'ahina 6x.  Swingweight is D7.  Its a sledgehammer, but when I'm fully warmed up, I know I can rip through the ball with this thing and it will retain the stable feel I want.

I don't use it all the time - on many holes on the courses around here, I would roll through the fairway and into trouble.  But its a lot of fun when I get to tee one up with this.  

I have an "alternate" driver (I consider it a 2W): a 12* 917D2 that plays at D6 and won't roll out past 270.  That gets much more play in most rounds...

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

Was swinging 46" driver at E0 for a while.  Super heavy.  It's at like D6-D7 now.  Really helps with tempo for me, I usually get really quick in transition.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 9 - Diamana GT 60 tx

Titleist TSi3 15 - Ventus Black 7x

Titleist TS2 18 - Diamana DF 80 tx

Mizuno Pro 223 $ Taper HT 130x

Vokey SM7 50F, 55S KBS Hi Rev 2.0 135x

Vokey SM9 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 125x

Ping PLD Kushin 4/TP Mills Dale/TP Mills Nellie

Pro V1

46.25” … 4 drivers with me here in Myrtle at E0.   

other guys hit my drivers, note the heavy feel but inevitably hit them well

irons running d9-e3 

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Thanks for the input guys. Y’all crazy swinging D-9 and E-0 drivers 😂

I might keep going and get it up to D-7 or 8, now I’m curious!

The thing for me is that the overall static weight can’t get too high. I have a Fuji Pro 2.0 7x , I believe it’s 79g un-cut, and that thing feels like a tree branch getting it around….but it goes pretty straight 

Im wondering how a 50 tx and 200g head would be @ 46” 

TSR4 8*, Accra RPG 362 M5 & Ventus Red 7x

Sim Rocket 14*, Accra TZ6 75 M5

790 2i UDI (2021), Accra TZ5 105 M5

Srixon ZX7 4 - PW, Modus 120 TX

Callaway JAWS 50, 54, 60,  x100 DG

1/1 Lajosi DD-201 WB, Stability Tour blackout 

1 minute ago, MagicMan79 said:

The thing for me is that the overall static weight can’t get too high. I have a Fuji Pro 2.0 7x , I believe it’s 79g un-cut, and that thing feels like a tree branch getting it around….but it goes pretty straight 

Balancing your static weight with headweight/swingweight/length is definitely a process. And you're right, most of the time folks are going to gravitate towards lighter shafts at longer lengths for the purposes you mentioned. Today's shaft construction is churning out far more stable products in the 50g/60g weight class than in years past and people have been taking advantage of that for these long bomber setups. 

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 4i-7i 23*- 34* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 38*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

15 hours ago, MagicMan79 said:

Had a bit of an ah-ha moment in the simulator yesterday while tinkering with driver swingweight.

So I play MOI matched irons that are all +1.00” - 1.5” in length. 1/4” increments from Gw all the way up to 4i. Short iron heads are lightened and long iron have added weight. Wedges are E-1 and scales down to D-7 in the longer irons. They are all long and heavy but the MoI matching and building at 1/4” increments has been one of the best things I’ve ever done , équipement wise. Never hit my irons this straight and hit as many greens. I hit 17/18 greens once this year and that was my best by far

My driver SS is 120-122 , and been doing some shaft tinkering since the weather has gotten cold. I like the feel of my driver at D-3, but have been struggling with a high toe miss that I just can’t shake on occassion.

I’ve added weight to drivers while in my garage and measuring swingweight. And anything at D-4 and heavier feels like a battle axe

So in the sim yesterday, same thing with driver - good ball, high toe, high toe, good ball..

This is a Sim2 8* with Diamana TB 60 tx, at just under 46” long. Driver in upright/square setting on adapter

I started moving and swapping weights, and was not influenced by my swingweight scale. Started pounding it after I added almost 7g to the head, which is quite a bit. Carrying 315-320 pretty consistently 

Get home and of course had to put it on the scale. It’s like D-6.2 , an absolute 🔨 

Never thought I’d hit it so well with such a head heavy setup, but it is what it is! Maybe it helps load the shaft that tiny bit more where my timing just matched up? Or the SW just matches my irons now so I can just swing it with the same tempo 

Was just curious if anyone else was swinging or had success with driver @ D-6+ ?

Total weight and swing weight are the two most important factors of a golf club in my opinion as they speak to the mind's eye and help you feel the club moving in space around you. I gradually added weight to my driver in 10 gram increments until I found my perfect fit...which occurred after I had added some 50 grams.  At first it didn't even register on the swingweight scale but now that I play Jumbomaxx grips it swingweights at F9 along with all of my other clubs but I absolutely love the sledge hammer feel as it is exactly the reason why I loved wooden bats over aluminum ones when I played baseball. 

Your club's distribution of weight should "trick" you into hitting the ball inline with the CoG. This will create trust and efficiency in a given club and it is paramount to playing your best.  I don't even question it anymore as I now just accept that I have to manipulate the specs of a club to fit what I want to feel and now I can set up a club very quickly as I know exactly what I want to feel in a club and my feel is personal to me and is likely not for anyone else and that is fine.  Going from D3 to D6.2 isn't really a dramatic change but give it time and see if the feel of the club head stays with you as I found that initially when I added weight it felt dramatic...but then a few months later I was losing the sense of the club head and had to add more and retest.  Eventually you hit the sweet spot though and then I made note of that spec and can recreate it on future clubs.  

• Like 1

Ive been D5-D7 for the last 6-7 drivers at 44.5" on all my custom builds and I tend to error on the D4-5 when its a lower launch lower spin fade biased head coupled with the more tip/mid active shaft...like SIM OG with a Ventus Red. For say a SIM MAX 2 (higher seeming launching a little higher spin head) paired with an Ventus Black, Atmos TS Black, or Speeder TR always go on the D6-7 side which seems to allow the shaft to have a little more feel seemingly.  Of course this is subjective and anecdotal in nature but certainly notable in my results, FWIW.

I play weights and combos that allow me to feel like I can go hard and my miss isn't OB...while my great swings and tempos are rewarded with max numbers for me.  When I get into the looser shaft profiles with too much kick, it gets ugly cause then I am trying to slow it down and stuff doesn't feel proper.

• Like 1

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

I've never measured swing weight, not even once. I suspect that mine has usually been high, as I've always used ultra light shafts and grips since they first became available. That being the case, while my swing weight may be high, the static weight is low, and that's what works best for me. 

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft

I did some tinkering and fine tuning this year. Settled on a driver setup which is the tm sim @9* fujikura ventus black 6x, playing at 45. Swapped sliding weight to and 18 gram one, and as a joke left the lead tape I had on it just to see what would happen. Couldn't miss the middle of the face LOL. After about 20 balls it felt like a bit more work than I'd like so I removed one of the 4inch strips and it's perfect. I can really feel the shaft load up, and my driving has never been better. Did the "math" apparently it comes out to D8.8. Might have to experiment with the irons too now. 

I'm a big fan of heavier swingweight with my driver and woods.  I scale the swingweight a bit based on the shaft weight.  With the 7m3 or HZRDUS 75 in driver, I'm at D6-D7.  When I used a Motore Speeder 6.3 or HZRDUS 62, I went to D8-D9.  It's the only way I get any feel for the club if I go that light with shaft weight.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

On 11/26/2021 at 2:38 AM, MagicMan79 said:

Rip phenom 50tx …. Awesome at 46.25

EvnRoll ER9

Yikes that heavy terrifies me.  I went 20 grams over where I usually am between a shaft and weights in the head and I felt like I couldn’t get out of my own way.  Felt like I was swinging a piece of road construction rebar.  

Edited by Phabs

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

On 11/25/2021 at 4:49 PM, Valtiel said:

D6 at that length is not really heavy at all to be honest. SIM2's are coming stock at D5 these days, so I wouldn't think at all about the number. Let the on course results by the judge while keeping on eye on weight related flight problems (blocks, timing issues, fatigue etc). 

Yeah I think you might need to beef up a little bit if you find that feels heavy.

I did play a stupidly heavy driver in a hire set in China a few years ago, and hit it great, no idea what make it was but I suspect it was 300cc, very stiff and maybe 3 wood length.

I have played around with a lot of added driver head weight, shorter lengths etc. since then and never got close to that feeling again.

Be interesting to see if you can take your new driver to the course. 

On 11/26/2021 at 1:14 PM, cardoustie said:

46.25” … 4 drivers with me here in Myrtle at E0.   

other guys hit my drivers, note the heavy feel but inevitably hit them well

irons running d9-e3 

I've seen you post a few times about your heavier SW's and always interested - how did you end up determining this works for you? Really heavy head weight or do you also play heavier shafts? I guess longer shafts enable a heavier SW more easily.

Yeah, I know, trial and error etc but what led you down this path - did you start out with heavier SW's?

I note that clubs of some year's past were heavier SWs, and I found this about a driver Ben Hogan gamed:

One club where the swingweight definitely was not similar is the driver, which checked in at a swingweight of G-2 -- reported to be the heaviest ever measured at the USGA test center.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/ben-hogan-secret-clubfitting

Channelling Ben?

• Like 1

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

4 hours ago, Rapidcat said:

I've seen you post a few times about your heavier SW's and always interested - how did you end up determining this works for you? Really heavy head weight or do you also play heavier shafts? I guess longer shafts enable a heavier SW more easily.

Yeah, I know, trial and error etc but what led you down this path - did you start out with heavier SW's?

I note that clubs of some year's past were heavier SWs, and I found this about a driver Ben Hogan gamed:

One club where the swingweight definitely was not similar is the driver, which checked in at a swingweight of G-2 -- reported to be the heaviest ever measured at the USGA test center.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/ben-hogan-secret-clubfitting

Channelling Ben?

I used to love D6 back in the day when my clubs were all plus 1/4 or plus 1/2

Then a few things happened.  Back surgery x 3 in 2007 … and I experimented with lead tape

So I needed longer irons overall to make it easier on my back and I found out a few things the pro’s did .. heavier and flatter in shorter irons

Had Quite a few “Cardy MOI” sets built where the 6i was D6 and blended a point per iron to the wedge being E0 … that’s a good system if you keep all your longer clubs at D5

Then a handful of years ago I started a short irons / taller golfers thread and Tom Wishon told me to lengthen my wedges …. And there you go.  Once you have your wedges running E3 you want a heavier feel in the rest of the set

• Like 1

EvnRoll ER9

3 minutes ago, cardoustie said:

I used to love D6 back in the day when my clubs were all plus 1/4 or plus 1/2

Then a few things happened.  Back surgery x 3 in 2007 … and I experimented with lead tape

So I needed longer irons overall to make it easier on my back and I found out a few things the pro’s did .. heavier and flatter in shorter irons

Had Quite a few “Cardy MOI” sets built where the 6i was D6 and blended a point per iron to the wedge being E0 … that’s a good system if you keep all your longer clubs at D5

Then a handful of years ago I started a short irons / taller golfers thread and Tom Wishon told me to lengthen my wedges …. And there you go.  Once you have your wedges running E3 you want a heavier feel in the rest of the set

Thanks and can see this makes so much sense.

So I'm guessing you are 6ft+? plus your back issues.

I'm 5.10 and am experimenting with shorter shaft/heavy head drivers (although I've also played 46" drivers with some success) @ 44" and D5+ SW, I have a JDM Srixon Z725 head with 2 x weight ports (+ lead tape) that is proving fun to test. 

I noticed your Tassie reference...broadening that to Oz mainland, Brad Hughes is a big proponent of heavier headed clubs.

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

I think mine is, its a stock length shaft and I've got 3 decent length strips of tape on the head. So whatever that works out to be haha. 

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

2 minutes ago, Rapidcat said:

Thanks and can see this makes so much sense.

So I'm guessing you are 6ft+? plus your back issues.

I'm 5.10 and am experimenting with shorter shaft/heavy head drivers (although I've also played 46" drivers with some success) @ 44" and D5+ SW, I have a JDM Srixon Z725 head with 2 x weight ports (+ lead tape) that is proving fun to test. 

I noticed your Tassie reference...broadening that to Oz mainland, Brad Hughes is a big proponent of heavier headed clubs.

Yes I am 6’2” with a shorter torso relative to my arms.  My wingspan is a touch longer than my height .. which should allow me to play shorter … but it doesn’t 

Funny you mention BH, he has given me a tip direct on twitter, seems like a great guy, and quite a player back in the day

Another side heavy story … back in 2008 I had a TM Burner TP driver.  it was “short” and very HEAVY.  John Daly like strips of lead tape on the toe.  Candy red 95 gram speeder tour spec in X.  44.75”.  I could swing 108.4 with it and carry it 278 at Ping headquarters on trackman, they couldn’t beat it with any combo.  Learned that swing the heaviest club you can if you keep the speed up

That year I played in our national Am and provincial Am, both national and provincial mid am’s and a nationwide event.

FUNNY ENOUGH I bought this driver last week down here in Myrtle Beach for $39, with a proto shaft in it.  I will be trying a bunch of my high end modern pulls in it.  Starting AD DI 6x in orange

• Like 2

EvnRoll ER9

4 minutes ago, cardoustie said:

Yes I am 6’2” with a shorter torso relative to my arms.  My wingspan is a touch longer than my height .. which should allow me to play shorter … but it doesn’t 

Funny you mention BH, he has given me a tip direct on twitter, seems like a great guy, and quite a player back in the day

Another side heavy story … back in 2008 I had a TM Burner TP driver.  it was “short” and very HEAVY.  John Daly like strips of lead tape on the toe.  Candy red 95 gram speeder tour spec in X.  44.75”.  I could swing 108.4 with it and carry it 278 at Ping headquarters on trackman, they couldn’t beat it with any combo.  Learned that swing the heaviest club you can if you keep the speed up

That year I played in our national Am and provincial Am, both national and provincial mid am’s and a nationwide event.

FUNNY ENOUGH I bought this driver last week down here in Myrtle Beach for $39, with a proto shaft in it.  I will be trying a bunch of my high end modern pulls in it.  Starting AD DI 6x in orange

Great stuff👍

BH was a member of one of my clubs in Melbourne, he played #1 D1 (no surprise) for I think 2 seasons before turning pro. I finished playing pennant the season before he joined ( I am I think 7 or so years older than him).

Love his approach to the golf swing and equipment, he appears a big fan of heavier SW clubs.

I'm playing a Ping G410 10.5º driver with a Mitsubishi Tensie CK Orange 60grams "R" Flex.

Length is 46".  Swingweight was in the mid D range originally.  For Giggles I added another weight to the rear. (Now have two in the back channel).

Brought the SW into the Lower E range.  Absolutely love it.  

I've found that with a higher swing weight, irons also, that I can feel the club at the top of my backswing and am able to set my wrists prior to the down swing.  

I had very light SW irons at one time with no feel in the backswing that promoted an outside in path on the downswing.  Heavier Swing weight seems to have corrected that.  

• 1 month later...

Been playing Jumbomax Tour Medium grips on all my clubs for 1/2 a year.  Love the feel in the hands, but the counterbalanced weight causes loss of clubhead feel.  I decided to mess around and bought a couple 18 gram weights for my G410 plus 9*.  First took out the stock 12gram and placed both 18 in the "fade" and "draw" position.  Instantly loved the feel and added about 8 yards carry.  Threw the 12 gram back into the center with the 18s and this thing absolutely mashes.  Went from 224 carry to 240s.  Estimated swing weight using online calculator came to f9.  I can't believe this setup is going to stay in one piece, but it sure feels good for now.  

Had to buy lead tape for all my other clubs which feel WAY too light as a result.  

You might want to try JumboMax Ultralite. They didn't affect my club head feel at all.

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft

it's not only the driver.  when I shaft up some clubs i take them with me and a roll of lead tape and add and subtract to each iron until it feels right.  the first time i did it the irons ended up being d4-d5 and d8 for wedges.  I had previously been playing clubs around d1-d2.  eye opener for me. 

• Like 1

It only hurts once, except golf it hurts a lifetime

On 11/25/2021 at 11:24 AM, MagicMan79 said:

Ok.  Wth. I’m working on the same combo ( mine is 9 degree and 70 TB TX ) but very close.    Same speed.  And my irons are just as you describe.  I started with PW at plus 3/4 inch an move up 1/4 each so the long irons aren’t too long. My gap-lob wedge are same length and lie as my pw.  Pw is my favorite club.  Maybe LW too !  Lol.  

anyway.  I’m waiting for some glue to dry and had the idea of doing the exact same. Adding 7-8 g to the head and retesting.  I previously had a heavy titleist setup like this that worked great.   And I too have the high toe miss. Exclusively.     I’m also working on a 44 inch setup that I like but still. High toe miss.  I can’t seem to get smash or contact centered up.     

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock